Prediction Geelong Cats 2016 Predictions!

Where will we finish on the Ladder in 2016?

• Total voters

CollarJazzKnee

All Australian
Mar 17, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
It sounds obvious, but we really need to win at least one final this year. I'd be happy with that. Can't see us suddenly gelling and going all the way this year though tbh.
But we really need to win one- one win since 2011 is simply not good enough.

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
What does winning only one final get you? Absolutely nothing. It doesn't help you win a flag in later years and may actually be bad if it makes you rest on your laurels and think you are doing ok. It's flag or bust with this team either in 2016 or 2017 and what happens in the other year is irrelevant.

I don't think it helps a whooooole lot. But to say it gets you absolutely nothing is just wrong. Sometimes it impacts the individuals & their mindset, which in turn can impact the team as a whole.

When Geelong had the Kennett Curse going against the Hawks, commentators mentioned that as much as the Hawks would try not to think about it there would still be something in the back of their minds which wouldn't go away until they finally beat us. And when the Hawks finally did beat us then now after it they have beaten us in 4 of our last 5 games since.

In terms of present teams you have Freo still wanting/needing to beat the Hawks in a final, and once they do then they may go on to beat the Hawks more in the years after that (depending on where the teams are at).

Same with Richmond, once they win that 1 final I reckon we could see them go on & win the next one because all of a sudden that nagging sensation in the back of their heads is gone.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think it helps a whooooole lot. But to say it gets you absolutely nothing is just wrong. Sometimes it impacts the individuals & their mindset, which in turn can impact the team as a whole.

When Geelong had the Kennett Curse going against the Hawks, commentators mentioned that as much as the Hawks would try not to think about it there would still be something in the back of their minds which wouldn't go away until they finally beat us. And when the Hawks finally did beat us then now after it they have beaten us in 4 of our last 5 games since.

In terms of present teams you have Freo still wanting/needing to beat the Hawks in a final, and once they do then they may go on to beat the Hawks more in the years after that (depending on where the teams are at).

Same with Richmond, once they win that 1 final I reckon we could see them go on & win the next one because all of a sudden that nagging sensation in the back of their heads is gone.
It can impact mindset but both to the good and bad side. If we made finals in 2006 and won one would the club review have happened that made dramatic changes to the club and players in 07?

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
I have not really seen Menegola play too much other than some highlights. Wondering is he can make his spot, or at least push for one, based on becoming a bit of the enforcer type we have been lacking ( think Rooke). I guess maybe Scooter has that shot first but seeing talk of Menegola being hard, all dat runner with defensive side made me consider it.

Again, totally dependent on performances once we get going.

Go Catters

Nuh Daz, he's a big possession runner, big body, but focus is high possession and scoreboard.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I just think if the squad is relatively fit, there will be at least 30 players that will be reasonable chances of selection. Players that are well regarded on here will be playing VFL. I don't see how first year players taken very late in the draft are going to bypass them, unless there are a ton of injuries.
If Menegola is playing midfield our season is over as it will mean atleast three injuries to the eight mids ahead of him.

With fewer rotations this year, and no sub, there will be player turnover from week to week.....depth is critical. I don't say that Menegola will be a fixture, but given his elite endurance, and apparent improvement as a ball winner, it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a few games, and is given the opportunity to show what he's got.

I don't see it as a doom and gloom scenario if he gets a game or two.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
If Menegola is playing midfield our season is over as it will mean atleast three injuries to the eight mids ahead of him.

Not if he's making 25-30+ possession games in the two's, the pecking order may well change.

Jonathan Simpkin came in as a mature ager and was averaging those numbers. Offered very little going the other way and his disposal use was putrid.
May be the case but that doesn't mean it will be the case for Menegola just because he's mature age. Let's see how he goes first.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
Jonathan Simpkin came in as a mature ager and was averaging those numbers. Offered very little going the other way and his disposal use was putrid.

The Hawks liked what they saw with Simpkin he managed a Premiership Medallion in 2013 and is still at the Hawks, not bad for a Geelong de-list.
Don't think they'd keep him if he couldn't hit a target. Can play Simpkin!
I think Menagola will be a big success in the VFL, but whether he gets AFL opportunity depends on a number of variables each week and holding good form.

this Menegola fella better do better in those 2 or 3 games than what Jansen does in his 15 or 16 games for Brisbane :mad:

Comedy gold Bobby....

So we have Beams, Rockliff, Bastinac, Robinson, Rich, Christensen, Hanley, Zorko, Taylor, Bell and Mayes in front of him who can run through the midfield.... there may be others....thats just the players I know of...so who does Jansen replace to get 15 + games?

Its not going to happen Bobby.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
Comedy gold Bobby....

So we have Beams, Rockliff, Bastinac, Robinson, Rich, Christensen, Hanley, Zorko, Taylor, Bell and Mayes in front of him who can run through the midfield.... there may be others....thats just the players I know of...so who does Jansen replace to get 15 + games?

Its not going to happen Bobby.

If Menagola replaces "10 touch Jansen," we just gained 20 possessions ~ fail to see the comparison Bobby, in fact there is none.
Menagola almost won the Sandover from 12 games played ----- you're comparing chalk to cheese.

Last edited:
this Menegola fella better do better in those 2 or 3 games than what Jansen does in his 15 or 16 games for Brisbane :mad:
I'm struggling to see how Jansen gets a game at the Lions and that's accounting for the possibility of an injury list on the larger scale.

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm struggling to see how Jansen gets a game at the Lions and that's accounting for the possibility of an injury list on the larger scale.

But even he does, it doesn't necessarily make for a comparison. Could be due to injuries or he does stuff all in them anyway.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong

It could be that all the BL hoopla about Jansen - the 16 guernsey, etc - is more driven by PR than by his playing prospects: look, everyone, we've actually got a young player wanting to come to us, rather than vice versa.

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
I bet give Menagola 3 games and he'll surpass anything Jansen ever did while playing VFL for us over the past two years. That's how superior he'll be by comparison imo.
We'll soon see Bobby.

he's two years older than Jansen so he should certainly be superior at this stage. I'm looking long-term as I see Jansen only playing 14 or so games nest season. Certainly don't see the same happening for Menegola as Horlin-Smith is criminally underrated in here and he will be ahead of Sam when the real stuff begins. Obviously Guthrie, Blicavs and Caddy are established stars on the rise so it may be injuries which gives him his chance.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
he's two years older than Jansen so he should certainly be superior at this stage. I'm looking long-term as I see Jansen only playing 14 or so games nest season. Certainly don't see the same happening for Menegola as Horlin-Smith is criminally underrated in here and he will be ahead of Sam when the real stuff begins. Obviously Guthrie, Blicavs and Caddy are established stars on the rise so it may be injuries which gives him his chance.

Why should he be superior, thought you considered Sam very much B grade.
Jansen 14?....Couldn't do 1 in two years down here...... Menagola is a runner unlike GHS but also big framed, I think Lang, Murdoch, Gregson and Caddy may need to be on their game.
I agree GHS is underrated, his game against the Hawks was no fluke.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
The Hawks liked what they saw with Simpkin he managed a Premiership Medallion in 2013 and is still at the Hawks, not bad for a Geelong de-list.

In a way Simpkin reminded me of Stringer (although I thought Stringer's best was better). Could play, but would make an incredible blunder that would look real bad and make you forget the five good things he did before it. Didn't have Stringer's discipline problems either.

WeAreGeelong

All Australian
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Menagola will be a big success in the VFL, but whether he gets AFL opportunity depends on a number of variables each week and holding good form.

I thought he was delisted by the Hawks. Did he get re-rookied?

Since 2001

Premiership Player
Sep 27, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Added a few new questions/predictions after the draft people may feel free to answer :)

Will we make Finals in 2016?
Who will retire end of next year?
Who could/will be traded end of next year?
Who will win our B&F for 2016?
Who will be our most improved youngster in 2016?
Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most?
Will Chris Scott be coaching Geelong at the end of 2016?
What will the Ruck setup be?
Who do you think will surprise us most?
Which of our new draftees will make the biggest impact in 2016?
Where do we expect our new draftees to play on the ground in the VFL next year (besides Buzza)?
How many of our new draftees do you expect to see make their debut in the seniors in 2016?
Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow?
Best/Most Consistent Defender in 2016?
Best/Most Consistent Midfielder in 2016?
Best/Most Consistent Forward in 2016?

Will we make Finals in 2016? Should as you guys have one of the easiest fixtures, i see you guys being knocked out in the semi's (you win the qualifying)
Who will retire end of next year? Bartel, Lonergan, Clark?, Enright.
Who could/will be traded end of next year? Smedts, Murdoch?, Horlin-Smith, Kersten (delisted)?
Who will win our B&F for 2016? Mitch Duncan
Who will be our most improved youngster in 2016? Surely this is Josh Caddys year to get to where he already thinks he is.
Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most? Obvious Patrick Danger unless injury.....;)
Will Chris Scott be coaching Geelong at the end of 2016? I see this as the time when we see if brad can coach. He came to a side where he had everything ready to go and no major changes needed. Now he has made his own team, can he coach and make a good gameplan and put it into action with the players? I think he is 60/40
What will the Ruck setup be? Well i think Stanley just rucks 90% and Blicavs the other 10%
Who do you think will surprise us most? Jackson Thurlow?
Which of our new draftees will make the biggest impact in 2016? None, but VFL Wyle Buzza
Where do we expect our new draftees to play on the ground in the VFL next year (besides Buzza)? Where ever they see them to fit. lol
How many of our new draftees do you expect to see make their debut in the seniors in 2016? 0, unless injuries then mengola
Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow? Mitch Duncan
Best/Most Consistent Defender in 2016? Harry Taylor
Best/Most Consistent Midfielder in 2016? Mitch Duncan
Best/Most Consistent Forward in 2016? Daniel Menzel

Back