Prediction Geelong Cats 2016 Predictions!

Where will we finish on the Ladder in 2016?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I just think if the squad is relatively fit, there will be at least 30 players that will be reasonable chances of selection. Players that are well regarded on here will be playing VFL. I don't see how first year players taken very late in the draft are going to bypass them, unless there are a ton of injuries.
If none of our draftees play next year i will be ecstatic as it will mean a manageable injury list like you say and that the players we had on our list before the draft are all performing well enough to hold their spots, so i hope you are right with that prediction :)

Will we make Finals in 2016? Should as you guys have one of the easiest fixtures, i see you guys being knocked out in the semi's (you win the qualifying)
Who will retire end of next year? Bartel, Lonergan, Clark?, Enright.
Who could/will be traded end of next year? Smedts, Murdoch?, Horlin-Smith, Kersten (delisted)?
Who will win our B&F for 2016? Mitch Duncan
Who will be our most improved youngster in 2016? Surely this is Josh Caddys year to get to where he already thinks he is.
Which of our new FREE AGENCY/TRADE recruits will improve/impact us the most? Obvious Patrick Danger unless injury.....;)
Will Chris Scott be coaching Geelong at the end of 2016? I see this as the time when we see if brad can coach. He came to a side where he had everything ready to go and no major changes needed. Now he has made his own team, can he coach and make a good gameplan and put it into action with the players? I think he is 60/40
What will the Ruck setup be? Well i think Stanley just rucks 90% and Blicavs the other 10%
Who do you think will surprise us most? Jackson Thurlow?
Which of our new draftees will make the biggest impact in 2016? None, but VFL Wyle Buzza
Where do we expect our new draftees to play on the ground in the VFL next year (besides Buzza)? Where ever they see them to fit. lol
How many of our new draftees do you expect to see make their debut in the seniors in 2016? 0, unless injuries then mengola
Which Cat will get the most votes in the 2016 Brownlow? Mitch Duncan
Best/Most Consistent Defender in 2016? Harry Taylor
Best/Most Consistent Midfielder in 2016? Mitch Duncan
Best/Most Consistent Forward in 2016? Daniel Menzel

If we win the qualifying final we won't even be playing in the semis remember ;)

Also if fit I think it will be Smith & Stanley rucking with Vardy if needed. Coaches would be hoping Blicavs will never have to ruck in 2016 (besides third man ups) as it means no one will have gotten injured (unlikely I know aha).

In a way Simpkin reminded me of Stringer (although I thought Stringer's best was better). Could play, but would make an incredible blunder that would look real bad and make you forget the five good things he did before it. Didn't have Stringer's discipline problems either.

Simpkin got the ball way more often.

If we win the qualifying final we won't even be playing in the semis remember ;)

Also if fit I think it will be Smith & Stanley rucking with Vardy if needed. Coaches would be hoping Blicavs will never have to ruck in 2016 (besides third man ups) as it means no one will have gotten injured (unlikely I know aha).

thats if you guys can make top 4 ;)

Perhaps. I'll be honest, I don't see us finishing the home and away season on top (which we did in 1992).

we also averaged a whopping 140 points per game that year.
Obviously different era but we'd probably have to improve a little on the 90 points we averaged this year.

I see 70 from Hawkins but I don't see 40 from Clark, 30 from Vardy or 30 from Menzel. If Stanley remains fit, possibly 20 from him.

Think that we have the depth now to potentially be top four but even with a good run with injuries will probably be 5-8.

The big challenge for 2016 will be getting the right balance and getting the team to "click" (I.e. cohesion). Even with good recruiting, it is going to take some time to get the contested ball strategies working and refine the various styles/game plans. I suspect that this is going to take a season to getting it right.

Notwithstanding the new recruits, there are parts of the puzzle that need to be solved with development of the next tier. Part of the challenge will be pressing for top four and getting games into the next tier. Get this right then I think we are a very good chance for 2017.

If Menegola is playing midfield our season is over as it will mean atleast three injuries to the eight mids ahead of him.

My mate Budda230 is a good judge of footballers and he suggested to me that Menegola will play AFL this year. I will visit this post during the 2016 season.

The intersting thing will be to see the desire in his play. It's his last stop you would think. Watch him play like it. And then contrast that to the early play of say Caddy/smedts/ ( by early i mean in their career) where that desperation has not really set in...
You would think that the LTI guys would also show the same desperation...
Go Catters

My mate Budda230 is a good judge of footballers and he suggested to me that Menegola will play AFL this year. I will visit this post during the 2016 season.

I think Budda may well be right....elite endurance, solid on both sides hand and foot, good hands and doesn't mind getting his hands dirty....and a ball magnet to boot....I'm bullish on Menegola...

He's ready.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we will finish between 5-10 realistically. Top 4 is a little too high to expect and anything below 10 would be a disappoint, although with a pretty even middle tier we can't just expect to make finals based on a nice team on paper and a decent fixture. Hopefully a few things come together and it's an exciting year!

Sorry DtC I have to say it - how can a guy who has played 0 senior games be a ball magnet?
No one said at AFL level though did they.

2015 in the WAFL. 27 touches per game, 1.5 goals, 4 marks per game.

35, 25, 29, 21, 29, 22, 35, 35, 22, 32, 16, 23, 28, 30... Rather consistent with his output I'd say.

Would you agree if we had someone doing that in our VFL side they'd be getting selected at some point for AFL selection?

35, 25, 29, 21, 29, 22, 35, 35, 22, 32, 16, 23, 28, 30... Rather consistent with his output I'd say.

Would you agree if we had someone doing that in our VFL side they'd be getting selected at some point for AFL selection?

I don't like the look of that 16

Yes. But that wasn't my query. I wouldn't call anyone who hasn't play senior footy a ball magnet. Or a clearance machine, or whatever other terms are applied. The bottom line is he's still unproven.

In any case, he's going to really have his work cut out just getting a game. There are one or two ahead of him I'd guess.

It more refers to his style of play......he gets a lot of the ball...we'll see if he can do the same at senior level. As for one or two ahead of him....uhmmm...

......we are all even at the beginning of the season aren't we? ;)

Sorry DtC I have to say it - how can a guy who has played 0 senior games be a ball magnet?
True story Partridge I worked with a young bloke who played with Stokes at St Mary's and when he was drafted by the Cats he told me Stokes was a ball magnet and I asked the same question his answer was,even coming off the ground for a spell the ball would hit him on the head.

The same way Kersten is a great forward.. It's not an absolute statement.

But as we all know the transition from lower level to Afl level is the biggest step.
Let's hope that both can make it translate
Go. Catters

I think Menegola is a big chance to get games...apart from that, Partridge looks like he is pretty close to the mark.

If we drafted someone mature then it would be with a view to him being in our first 22 I would have thought but I don't see him in our best 22.

If we drafted someone mature then it would be with a view to him being in our first 22 I would have thought but I don't see him in our best 22.
You appear to be from Perth, have you seen him in the WAFL?

As it stands, to me he's just a name having not actually seen him play as of yet. Keen to see how he fares in the NAB's. Best 22. Not for me either but I won't rule him out from playing, he has been recruited for a reason I feel.

True story Partridge I worked with a young bloke who played with Stokes at St Mary's and when he was drafted by the Cats he told me Stokes was a ball magnet and I asked the same question his answer was,even coming off the ground for a spell the ball would hit him on the head.
Geez you'd think the one guy where you wouldn't struggle to kick the ball over his head...

Back