2nds Geelong Cats 2018 VFL Season - Tom Atkins B&F Winner

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
The game was lost because we were far too tall. Especially up forward. Abbott Siggins Buzza and Crameri all together in last. Ball swirling, ball on ground no smalls. Ball run out too easily. I don't think any players enhanced their chances. Maybe Gardner, House and Smith.
Is Abbott any good Catswhiskers? You would of seen him more than most on here.

Going to be a good day next Saturday for a Geelong supporter - VFLW side plays a practice match against the Western Bulldogs, followed by the VFL side also playing the Dogs, and then the AFL side playing Port Adelaide on Saturday night. :)
The rabbi That's who we play ;)

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Is Abbott any good Catswhiskers? You would of seen him more than most on here.

Well I am not doing very well in my "good enough to play AFL predictions".

Dismissed Esava and Henry as at least 12 months away at best and thought Cunico was a nice kick but lacked spunk. Wrong wrong wrong.

So on Abbott I would say he is a spud and you can expect him to line up V Sydney in a week or two!

Seriously I reckon he will not play unless both Smith and Stanley are out and even then they might just use Buzza with Esava and Blicavs (assuming we have a KPD back or they promote Gardner).

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Having watched most of the VFL game the other observations i would chuck in:
House was good but I worry about pace.
Gardner was good also , has better closing speed and has a bigger body of work..........so that means House will get the nod:)
Miers didn't do much at all. Played far too far up the ground IMO and didn't get to the fall of the ball when we needed it.
Constable loves getting the pill but had little damage factor . After watching Fogarty live for the first time i would say Fog is a much better player and suits our needs well. Fogarty just needs to start slotting goals to be a huge addition to the ones efforts.
Buzza wasn't bad on a day that was murder for talls (so add Smith,Siggins and Abbott). He will stay with our club for a while yet especially if attitude counts.
Thurlow is still in the mix. His long accurate kicking should get him games if the grim reaper continues to plague our list.
OConnor steady but I still can't see his upside, Obviously the club knows more about him than I do . MOC is well behind Thurlow IMO unless we need a tagger.
GHS battled on and I have gone off JJ.
JJ looked a bit uninterested a couple of times, and at others tackled hard and well but he is not presenting where the ball needs to be carried enough. Put Constable's thoughts in JJs head and we have a machine.

Last edited:

Dismissed Esava and Henry as at least 12 months away at best and thought Cunico was a nice kick but lacked spunk. Wrong wrong wrong.

So on Abbott I would say he is a spud and you can expect him to line up V Sydney in a week or two!

Seriously I reckon he will not play unless both Smith and Stanley are out and even then they might just use Buzza with Esava and Blicavs (assuming we have a KPD back or they promote Gardner).
My hand is up here too..

I said Sav would be a slow cook and fitness would prevent him from going too far too soon.. Talent is there but not tank yet.. Still not entirely convinced the tank is there BUT he's out there competing and doing better than I thought.... pass the salt my hat eating needs more flavour.

Henry I again liked in the little I saw but tank was the issue again. Seems to have done much work over summer... as I take another bite.

Gardner i was sure would be out there and he's in Siberia - or as Benny Cass would say the Belmont Watch house.

Chomp chomp chomp.

GO Catters

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

Cheers. I thought the same on all 3 players too.
Saw Sav a year ago and thought he was miles away. Liked Cunico in his first year but no so much since then.
Abbott is easier to gauge though because it's not really about the future. Needs to offer more than the other 2 rucks right now.

Landgraft

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Cheers. I thought the same on all 3 players too.
Saw Sav a year ago and thought he was miles away. Liked Cunico in his first year but no so much since then.
Abbott is easier to gauge though because it's not really about the future. Needs to offer more than the other 2 rucks right now.
I dunno, I never saw Abbott as anything more than the 'in case of emergency' ruck.

He seems qualified to be the last healthy body if the stars should align that way.

I get that. I'm just playing devil's advocate really and listing reasons the club would use to justify not investing in better VFL coverage.

My personal view is as I described in previous posts: the club could, and should, be doing better.
It's odd because they had a series of write-ups over the summer on the VFL recruits that seemed to herald a new type of coverage, but it's fallen off. I get that broadcasting is expensive and that probably only a handful of us would watch it, but they clearly do record all the games. I thought the highlights packages they were doing in the first half of last year where they showed most or even all of the goals and named the players involved was a massive step in the right direction, and to be fair they did something similar for the first game of the year. I think an extended highlights package each week that showed all the goals but also some nice other plays would probably satisfy most people - ultimately we don't really care about the result, we care about how the next generation are performing. Matchday coverage (live chat, radio broadcast etc) doesn't really satisfy that but a big highlights suite would.

4lbbb6G.png

TuPpQM3.png

We were never going to take goddard who has had a horendous run with injury.
so for all the posts where we were idiots for not taking Goddard...

All those wrong now 5 years later....

and I thought we were the haven for injured players..

hmmm... ok.

Go Catters

We were never going to take goddard who has had a horendous run with injury.
I do know someone heavily involved with the Falcons (don't we all) who was adamant Goddard would be a bust. On the flip side he said McCartin was going to be a superstar. That's not quite going to plan. Before you quote me injuries, that's all part of the package. I think Cocky woulda could shoulda been a star but if he cannot stay on the park then that's irrelevant. Stiff...probably.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

Id not worry about it .... you are not a legit observer if you haven't made a call on someone and been proven incorrect.

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
Id not worry about it .... you are not a legit observer if you haven't made a call on someone and been proven incorrect.

Not worried. Not at all.

I expected the push to a stronger list overall would come from the mid level players and the kids who debuted last year. To see Parfitt push on, Stewart to develop his game further and Bews, Kolo etc consolidate is as expected. I saw Parsons and Zuthrie especially with Simpson, Buzza and maybe Gardner and Jones as the ones who would push through and demand games.

To have Esava and Henry debut so early and hold their own, Cunico possibly joining them, and Kelly and Fogarty looking comfortable already is a real plus.

Just have to hope now they all reach a level of consistency quickly enough to join forces with a pretty fair midfield this year and next.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Not worried. Not at all.

I expected the push to a stronger list overall would come from the mid level players and the kids who debuted last year. To see Parfitt push on, Stewart to develop his game further and Bews, Kolo etc consolidate is as expected. I saw Parsons and Zuthrie especially with Simpson, Buzza and maybe Gardner and Jones as the ones who would push through and demand games.

To have Esava and Henry debut so early and hold their own, Cunico possibly joining them, and Kelly and Fogarty looking comfortable already is a real plus.

Just have to hope now they all reach a level of consistency quickly enough to join forces with a pretty fair midfield this year and next.
What you reckon of Simpson last year Catswhiskers?
I know we only rookied him but from the small amount of VFL I saw last year I reckon he could have a higher ceiling than all the 2016 draftees.
Showed a few flashes of brilliance.

Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll
It's odd because they had a series of write-ups over the summer on the VFL recruits that seemed to herald a new type of coverage, but it's fallen off. I get that broadcasting is expensive and that probably only a handful of us would watch it, but they clearly do record all the games. I thought the highlights packages they were doing in the first half of last year where they showed most or even all of the goals and named the players involved was a massive step in the right direction, and to be fair they did something similar for the first game of the year. I think an extended highlights package each week that showed all the goals but also some nice other plays would probably satisfy most people - ultimately we don't really care about the result, we care about how the next generation are performing. Matchday coverage (live chat, radio broadcast etc) doesn't really satisfy that but a big highlights suite would.
I'm ecstatic to get any coverage for the VFL. The highlights package can leave me a little wanting though.

It's in the eye of the beholder & not everyone sees the same, so a lot of good play is missed/overlooked from my POV. With that said, probably nothing less than live (visual) matchday coverage would satisify.

Early call is very early

Needs a few years before making any type of assessment

That's fair enough mate. He doesn't have enough tricks for my liking and he's too small.

Generally those who kick 7 goals in a TAC cup grand final get picked up highish. There's a reason he was still there at pick 57.

I'd love to be proven wrong of course.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
That's fair enough mate. He doesn't have enough tricks for my liking and he's too small.

Generally those who kick 7 goals in a TAC cup grand final get picked up highish. There's a reason he was still there at pick 57.

I'd love to be proven wrong of course.
He is coming from a fair way back, especially in a physical sense. I get your point, but you don't expect pick 57 to exactly shred it up in their first few VFL games.

Back