AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristi Harrower was world class from memory too, was she not ..? point guard?
At least 4 in that photo have played basketball for Australia: #10 Harrower, #6 Jenna O'hea, #Kathleen MacLeod (#4?) & #9 Gabe Richards.

As well as Teague, there's another AFLW player in that photo - Kerryn Harrington who I believe has to be #12, as she was only 15 at the time of the photo and that looks to be the youngest person. Carlton signed her as a rookie before last season and I believe she's still there this season

At least 4 in that photo have played basketball for Australia: #10 Harrower, #6 Jenna O'hea, #Kathleen MacLeod (#4?) & #9 Gabe Richards.

As well as Teague, there's another AFLW player in that photo - Kerryn Harrington who I believe has to be #12, as she was only 15 at the time of the photo and that looks to be the youngest person. Carlton signed her as a rookie before last season and I believe she's still there this season

Your knowledge of Opals and AFLW code-jumpers surpasses me C09 - regardless, I allocate myself 5 internet-cred points for picking Teague out of a line-up - I thought #10 was Harrower, too, fwiw :D

Your knowledge of Opals and AFLW code-jumpers surpasses me C09 - regardless, I allocate myself 5 internet-cred points for picking Teague out of a line-up - I thought #10 was Harrower, too, fwiw :D
I will confess that I only picked out Teague after seeing the post on Facebook, someone had commented tagging in all the players and I saw Teague's name - if I didn't know she was in there I don't think I would have looked hard enough to recognise a few of them

GEELONG is hoping to pack GMHBA Stadium with 20,000 fans for the Cats’ first AFLW clash against Collingwood in early February.

The Cats and the Pies will kick off the 2019 season with a twilight clash at Kardinia Park on February 2.

Despite AFLW matches remaining free for spectators to attend, the Cats have already signed 800 members and hope to double that figure over the coming month.

“Our aim is to attract 20,000 people to that game,” Geelong chief executive Brian Cook said.

“We’ve worked tirelessly throughout 2018 to set us up for this — there has been a lot of planning, building the list, appointing staff — and at the same time our women were competing in the VFL women’s.

“We are embracing the integration of our women’s team into our club, whether that be with out facilities, our people, our workloads.

“We’re certainly getting ready and we genuinely believe we’re embracing that integration.”

Successful codehopper Renee Garing, who is part of the Cats’ AFLW leadership group after forging a successful netball career, took out the club’s 2km time trial, pushed to the line by No.1 draft pick Nina Morrison.

“I’ve been impressed by the running of some of the players,” coach Paul Hood told the club’s website.

“Players like Bec Goring have really stepped up. One of the biggest surprises was Nina Morrison getting beaten in something. It was great to see Renee out there flying again and winning that 2km time trial. A bit of healthy rivalry has been great.”

Love the comment about Morrison getting beaten

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...t/news-story/0d6bb2a04f55b6323f480e85bdfb5896

First post for 2018 so a happy New Year to all ..

Read a nice article on the AFL’s website highlighting the practice of AFLW Academy girls being placed with senior clubs for a week-long training block, with a special focus on 4 girls who recently trained with the Cats.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-28/aflw-four-hopefuls-gain-a-unique-insight-to-life-at-the-cats

Might be a bit of a sneak preview of our 2020 draft class, with Rene Caris’ sister Maggie, who is lanky like big sis, and Paul Brown’s daughter Millie, who looks likely to be our first ever Father-Daughter selection already linked with the Cats.

Very happy to see Lucy McEvoy at the Cattery too, she looked a top prospect at last year’s national championships, kicking bags of goals and showing a lot of tricks. A local lass and would walk into the clubs best 22 right now.

First post for 2018 so a happy New Year to all ..

Read a nice article on the AFL’s website highlighting the practice of AFLW Academy girls being placed with senior clubs for a week-long training block, with a special focus on 4 girls who recently trained with the Cats.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-28/aflw-four-hopefuls-gain-a-unique-insight-to-life-at-the-cats

Might be a bit of a sneak preview of our 2020 draft class, with Rene Caris’ sister Maggie, who is lanky like big sis, and Paul Brown’s daughter Millie, who looks likely to be our first ever Father-Daughter selection already linked with the Cats.

Very happy to see Lucy McEvoy at the Cattery too, she looked a top prospect at last year’s national championships, kicking bags of goals and showing a lot of tricks. A local lass and would walk into the clubs best 22 right now.

If we are reliving 2018 does that mean we still lose the VFLW gf to Hawthorn and that we have to put up with a Collingwood vs WCE gf in the AFL?

;)

GEELONG has confirmed the numbers that will be worn by its 30-strong squad in the Cats’ inaugural AFL Women’s campaign.

The majority will wear the number they carried in the Geelong VFLW team, including reigning best-and-fairest Richelle Cranston (No.30) and captain Ben Goring (No.44).

How do you reckon the VC Benny Goring will go in 2018 though C09? :p

How do you reckon the VC Benny Goring will go in 2018 though C09? :p
Hmmm... All I did was copy & paste, and I just checked the link and it still says Ben Goring :rolleyes:

Do you think Hannah Mouncey would be annoyed that she isn't permitted to play AFLW but we are allowed to have Ben play for us?

Maybe Kingy & Krock know something the rest of us don't, or they didn't check the auto correct before publishing the story because accidentally typing an N instead of a C seems a little implausible

View attachment 600999

Hannah's turned her back on the AFL apparently, gone back to Handball ......

That's no great loss. :p

Just picked up a copy of the AFLW Prospectus (yes, there is such a thing). According to Champion Data, we enter the inaugural season with 3 players rated above average (Richelle Cranston, Phoebe McWilliams and Aasta O'Connor), 3 rated average (Mel Hickey, Madeleine Boyd and Erin Hoare), 1 below average (Anna Teague), 1 poor (Madeline Keryk), with the remaining 20 rated as unknown due to not having played AFLW last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting in the Prospectus they class Richelle Cranston as a key forward, yet think she'll be lining up in the centre in our best possible team.

Breakdown of the list by position, according to Champion Data:

Key defenders (6) - Madeleine Boyd, Anna Teague, Rebecca Goring, Meghan McDonald, Denby Taylor, Georgia Clarke
General defenders (2) - Elise Coventry, Rebecca Webster
Rucks (4) - Aasta O'Connor, Erin Hoare, Rene Caris, Madaleine McMahon
Midfielders (10) - Melissa Hickey, Madeline Keryk, Hayley Trevean, Sophie Van De Heuvel, Julia Crockett-Grills, Maighan Fogas, Cassie Blakeway, Renee Garing, Nina Morrison, Olivia Purcell
Mid-Forward (1) - Hannah Burchell
General forwards (3) - Jordan Ivey, Danielle Orr, Georgie Rankin
Key forwards (4) - Richelle Cranston, Phoebe McWilliams, Mia-Rae Clifford, Kate Darby.

In terms of team demographics, we have the 2nd oldest side (average age 26 years, 55 days) and the tallest side (average height 172.9cm).

Interesting in the Prospectus they class Richelle Cranston as a key forward, yet think she'll be lining up in the centre in our best possible team.

Breakdown of the list by position, according to Champion Data:

Key defenders (6) - Madeleine Boyd, Anna Teague, Rebecca Goring, Meghan McDonald, Denby Taylor, Georgia Clarke
General defenders (2) - Elise Coventry, Rebecca Webster
Rucks (4) - Aasta O'Connor, Erin Hoare, Rene Caris, Madaleine McMahon
Midfielders (10) - Melissa Hickey, Madeline Keryk, Hayley Trevean, Sophie Van De Heuvel, Julia Crockett-Grills, Maighan Fogas, Cassie Blakeway, Renee Garing, Nina Morrison, Olivia Purcell
Mid-Forward (1) - Hannah Burchell
General forwards (3) - Jordan Ivey, Danielle Orr, Georgie Rankin
Key forwards (4) - Richelle Cranston, Phoebe McWilliams, Mia-Rae Clifford, Kate Darby.

In terms of team demographics, we have the 2nd oldest side (average age 26 years, 55 days) and the tallest side (average height 172.9cm).

thanks for posting that Winty.

2nd oldest side, that is crazy.

As you pointed out, Cranston ranked as a key forward is odd, never seen her play as a key forward with the Cats or with Melbourne.
I've got a few quibbles with the groupings myself;
Boyd usually plays as a key forward, too - again, I've personally only ever seen her play up forward, and I'd hardly describe Clifford as a key forward.

Interesting to see Ivey listed as a 'general forward' ;)

Are you able to post their 'best possible team' .. ?

thanks for posting that Winty.

As you pointed out, Cranston ranked as a key forward is odd, never seen her play as a key forward with the Cats or with Melbourne.
I've got a few quibbles with the groupings myself;
Boyd usually plays as a key forward, too - again, I've personally only ever seen her play up forward, and I'd hardly describe Clifford as a key forward.

Interesting to see Ivey listed as a 'general forward' ;)

I actually caught the end of a radio interview with Boyd - this was a couple of months ago, after the VFLW season, maybe around the AFLW drafting time, and I didn't know who it was until that thanked her at the end.

She mentioned how when she was originally drafted by Carlton in the AFLW that she played as a defender and it was at coming to Geelong that she really moved forward, but she's happy to play what role is asked of her.

I'm guessing that whoever wrote the prospectus worked off her previous AFLW experience rather than her more recent VFLW experience with the with the same club she's going to be lining up for next month.

One thing I found kinda funny in the groupings was Teague being listed as a key defender - she's similar to my height of 173/174cm, in basketball she was a guard and one of the shorter ones on the team. But she's taller than the average height of our team, and we have the tallest team in the league - the curiosities of different sports

I actually caught the end of a radio interview with Boyd - this was a couple of months ago, after the VFLW season, maybe around the AFLW drafting time, and I didn't know who it was until that thanked her at the end.

She mentioned how when she was originally drafted by Carlton in the AFLW that she played as a defender and it was at coming to Geelong that she really moved forward, but she's happy to play what role is asked of her.

I'm guessing that whoever wrote the prospectus worked off her previous AFLW experience rather than her more recent VFLW experience with the with the same club she's going to be lining up for next month.

One thing I found kinda funny in the groupings was Teague being listed as a key defender - she's similar to my height of 173/174cm, in basketball she was a guard and one of the shorter ones on the team. But she's taller than the average height of our team, and we have the tallest team in the league - the curiosities of different sports

ah ok, fair enough, I wasn't aware she'd started out as a defender - I do like her up forward, she's slow but gives a really honest contest and when she's 'on' she can really pluck 'em.

I didn't like seeing Teague ranked as 'below average' :(
She only played a handful of games with Melbourne as a top-up player from memory; she's been pretty solid with Geelongs VFLW side over the past couple of years - I thought she was one of our best players in 2017 (bit quieter/less effective in 2018 but still one of our better players I thought)..

In regards to being the 2nd oldest side, prior to the draft we actually had the oldest list - our 20 pre-selected players had an average age of over 28 and a half, with 15 of the 20 being aged over 26 (only Boyd, Keryk, Blakeway, Goring and Burchell were under 26). Having said that though, Champion Data have said we've opted for a traditional build - recruiting older, more experienced players to lay a foundation and then sprinkle in some top end young talent via the draft.

As for the best possible team, I'm unsure of the format they've used, as I thought to get the 16 players onfield they'd removed the wings, but here's how they've named the side:

B: A.Teague R.Goring
HB: C.Blakeway M.McDonald M.Hickey
C: N.Morrison R.Cranston J.Crockett-Grills
HF: J.Ivey K.Darby D.Orr
F: P.McWilliams A.O'Connor
Foll: E.Hoare R.Garing O.Purcell
Int: H.Trevean M.Boyd M.Clifford H.Burchell S. Van de Huevel

I didn't like seeing Teague ranked as 'below average' :(
She only played a handful of games with Melbourne as a top-up player from memory; she's been pretty solid with Geelongs VFLW side over the past couple of years - I thought she was one of our best players in 2017 (bit quieter/less effective in 2018 but still one of our better players I thought)..

The ratings were based on their AFLW form last year, not on VFLW form, hence why the likes of Garing, Morrison, Purcell, Coventry, Darby etc weren't rated at all since they didn't play last season.

In regards to being the 2nd oldest side, prior to the draft we actually had the oldest list - our 20 pre-selected players had an average age of over 28 and a half, with 15 of the 20 being aged over 26 (only Boyd, Keryk, Blakeway, Goring and Burchell were under 26). Having said that though, Champion Data have said we've opted for a traditional build - recruiting older, more experienced players to lay a foundation and then sprinkle in some top end young talent via the draft.

As for the best possible team, I'm unsure of the format they've used, as I thought to get the 16 players onfield they'd removed the wings, but here's how they've named the side:

B: A.Teague R.Goring
HB: C.Blakeway M.McDonald M.Hickey
C: N.Morrison R.Cranston J.Crockett-Grills
HF: J.Ivey K.Darby D.Orr
F: P.McWilliams A.O'Connor
Foll: E.Hoare R.Garing O.Purcell
Int: H.Trevean M.Boyd M.Clifford H.Burchell S. Van de Huevel

cheers for posting that :thumbsu: - I actually checked the format thing a while back when putting together my own best 22 (which, erm, it turns out I didn't actually select our new captain) - it was 5fwds and 5backs - I also recall Morrison coming in off traditional wingers starting position a lot during the '18 champs.

Anyway that team isn't too bad really, I'd agree with %90 of that.
I'd find room for Denby Taylor and Rebecca Webster, and my ol mate Maddy McMahon too.

I recall you and I adding up the players over 30yo on the list as the list started to take shape Winty; interesting that Champion Data look upon that as being a 'traditional build' - I don't disagree or doubt them, but I wonder how they've arrived at that statement ..?

The ratings were based on their AFLW form last year, not on VFLW form, hence why the likes of Garing, Morrison, Purcell, Coventry, Darby etc weren't rated at all since they didn't play last season.

yeah I get that; I just don't like it :)
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Anna Teague drop off a little bit in our debut AFLW season, but I just enjoyed and admired her 2017 season so much, she played some top football for our VFLW team. So I'm a bit biased and don't like seeing her rated poorly ..

yeah I get that; I just don't like it :)
I actually wouldn't be surprised to see Anna Teague drop off a little bit in our debut AFLW season, but I just enjoyed and admired her 2017 season so much, she played some top football for our VFLW team. So I'm a bit biased and don't like seeing her rated poorly ..

Can't remember if it was Teague or Maddy Boyd who played on Hannah Mouncey when we played Darebin last year, but whoever it was absolutely smashed Mouncey. Mouncey would dominate other sides with her size, but Teague or Boyd stopped her dead a few times and had her pinged for holding the ball. They were so dominant on Mouncey she had to be moved up the ground to get a kick.

Watching that game, I knew Mouncey wouldn't get drafted because I think that was the first time she'd played on an AFLW calibre defender and got destroyed.

Thought I'd post Champion Data's write ups of our 30 players in the AFLW Prospectus....

Cassie Blakeaway: Blakeaway managed a modest season, playing 14 games for Geelong in the VFLW competition. She wasn't able to have a huge influence on games, finishing the season rated below average in a number of statistical areas, including Champion Data ranking points, contested possessions, clearances and tackles. However, Blakeaway showed her ability to read the ball, recording 4 intercept possessions per game, ranked above average for her position.

Madeleine Boyd: Boyd will be at her third club in as many years after returning home to Geelong for the 2019 season. Her ability to read the play and mark the ball was a strength last season, rating elite for contested marks and above average per marks and intercept marks. Playing for Geelong in the VFLW, Boyd took the most contested marks per game of any player, while also rating above average for disposals and contested possessions.

Hannah Burchell: Burchell has played all 28 games that the Geelong VFLW side have been involved in since they started in 2017. She is an outside player, rating above average for marks and uncontested possessions while recording the second lowest contested possession rate of any Geelong midfielder. She is all about attack, rating above average for score involvements but poor for tackles. Burchell used the ball well, recording a disposal efficiency of 57%, rated above average.

Rene Caris: Caris was the best performing ruck at the NAB AFLW Under 18 Championships, averaging 95 Champion Data ranking points. Her ability to get involved around the ground was what set her apart, recording 12 disposals per game. Her ruck work is something to be improved, recording 12 hitouts per game and only 3 hitouts to advantage, ranked average amongst all rucks. Caris provided scoreboard impact, recording the most score involvements of any ruck at the Championships.

Georgia Clarke: Clarke joins the AFLW side after playing 4 games for Geelong in the VFLW last season where she held her own without standing out, rating average in most categories. Her ball use was her best asset, recording an elite disposal efficiency of 73%, ranked second at the club. She was named in the AFLW Under 18 All-Australian squad and recorded a standing vertical jump of 52cm to finish in the top four at the draft combine.

Mia-Rae Clifford: Clifford re-joins the AFLW competition after playing 7 games for Melbourne in 2017. She will represent Geelong in their inaugural season after playing 17 matches for the Cats in the VFLW competition. Initially playing as a key defender while at Melbourne, she played a majority of the 2018 season in the attacking half of the ground. The move paid dividends, with Clifford kicking 15 goals for the season, the equal 5th most in the competition.

Elise Coventry: Coventry was taken at pick 55 at the 2018 AFLW draft after playing in the VFLW for Geelong the past two seasons, including the VFLW grand final last season. Coventry excels as an intercept defender, rating above average for intercept possessions and intercept marks in the VFLW last season, both ranked number 1 of all defenders at the club. Coventry also rated above average for Champion Data ranking points, disposals, disposal efficiency and tackles.

Richelle Cranston: Cranston played closer to goals in 2018, winning 37% of her disposals in the forward 50, up from 27% in 2017. She rated above average for metres gained, averaging 29m per kick, the 3rd highest of the top 50 kick-getters. Cranston rated above average for disposals despite her efficiency being the 3rd-worst of all players to average 10 or more disposals. Her fierce nature was clear, rating elite for pressure points and above average for tackles.

Julia Crockett-Grills: Crockett-Grills joins Geelong's AFLW team after her consistent season with Hawthorn in the VFLW. She found a nice balance in her ball-winning, from her 16 disposals per game she averaged 8 contested and 8 uncontested possessions per game. Around a stoppage she was able to read the ball off the ruck's hand better than most, rating elite for gathers from a hitout. Crockett-Grills also rated elite for score assists.

Kate Darby: Darby was a real focal point for Geelong in the 2018 VFLW season. She had a strong balance in her game, rating above average for disposals, kicking efficiency, contested marks and tackles for a key forward. Darby was extremely dangerous in Geelong's forward half, finishing the season 3rd overall for total scoreboard impact points. Darby was one of 3 key forwards who played at least 10 games to record over 100 Champion Data ranking points per game.

Maighan Fogas: Fogas was taken with pick 47 in the 2018 AFLW draft after playing every game for the Geelong VFLW side last season and finishing runner-up in the club best and fairest. Fogas is an inside ball winner, rating elite for groundball gets and above average for contested possessions, gathers from hitouts and clearances. She also rated above average for Champion Data ranking points, disposals, disposal efficiency, uncontested possessions, score involvements and tackles.

Renee Garing: Garing made a significant impact for Geelong in the 2018 VFLW competition. She finished the season as the number 1 ranked midfielder, averaging 180 Champion Data ranking points per game. Garing averaged 27 disposals, the most of any player in the VFLW, and thrived on the contest, recording 18 contested possessions per game, the most of any player. When she didn't have the ball she worked just as hard, laying 9 tackles per game, ranked elite for a midfielder.

Rebecca Goring: Goring joins Geelong in the AFLW after captaining Geelong in the VFLW competition for the previous 2 seasons. She was extremely valuable in defending an aerial contest, recording the 2nd most spoils of any player in the VFLW competition. Goring was also able to read the ball extremely well, rating above average for intercept marks and intercept possessions. She was able to move the ball out of defence, rating above average for rebound 50s.

Melissa Hickey: A big recruit for the Cats, it remains to be seen how much impact Hickey will have this season after injuring her ACL in Round 6 last season. She dominated the 2017 season, recording 112 Champion Data ranking points per game, however this dropped to just 76 ranking points in 2018. Hickey is capable in all 3 zones, rating above average for intercept possessions, pressure points and score involvements.

Erin Hoare: Hoare shared the ruck duties with Lauren Pearce last season at Melbourne, rating above average for her hitout win rate. She won a hitout to advantage from 14% of hitouts, the highest percentage of any ruck in the competition. There is plenty of room for improvement in other areas, as she rated poor for kicking efficiency and below average for disposals and meters gained. Hoare is expected to assume the number 1 ruck role at Geelong this season.

Jordan Ivey: Ivey has had AFLW experience, recruited as an injury replacement player for Carlton in 2017 before being delisted that same year. Her VFLW form suggested she can match it in the AFLW, rating elite for disposals, marks, inside 50s, score involvements and score assists for her position. Her accuracy let her down, recording a shot at goal accuracy of just 13% , rated below average. Ivey's defensive game was notable, rating above average for tackles.

Madeline Keryk: Keryk joins the Cats after playing for the Geelong VFLW side last season and is a former AFLW vice-captain at Carlton, playing 6 games for the Blues in 2017 but just 2 games last season. In the VFLW, she showed her strengths as in inside player, rating above average for Champion Data ranking points, disposals, contested possessions, groundball gets, clearances and tackles.

Meghan McDonald: McDonald had an outstanding year in the VFLW, finishing the season as the league's best interceptor, averaging 11 intercepted possessions per game. She is comfortable when the ball was in the air, rating elite for contested marks, one of only 3 key defenders to do so. She was able to find a nice balance in winning her own ball, finishing the season rating above average for both uncontested and contested possessions.

Phoebe McWilliams: McWilliams will be a focal point for Geelong after finishing the 2018 AFLW season as the 7th best key forward based on Champion Data ranking points. She was yin and yang in a contest, recording the 6th lowest win rate although the 4th best loss rate of all players to be involved in 10 or more offensive contests. While McWilliams rated average for disposals, she was made to work, rating above average for contested possessions and contested marks.

Nina Morrison: Morrison joins Geelong after being selected with pick 1 in the 2018 AFLW National draft. She showed plenty of class as an outside midfielder for Victoria Country, averaging 151 Champion Data ranking points from her 4 matches. Her ability to get the ball into space was a highlight, averaging 9 handball receives per game. With her run and carry she recorded an elite 6 score involvements per game, the most of any midfielder.

Aasta O'Connor: O'Connor has joined Geelong for their inaugural season after a permanent move into the ruck during the 2018 AFLW campaign with the Western Bulldogs. She had the ability to tap the ball to a teammate's advantage, recording a hitout to advantage rate of 24%, above average amongst rucks. O'Connor played every game for the premiership winning Bulldogs, but only averaged 48 minutes on ground per game, the 4th fewest of any ruck to play 5 or more games.

Danielle Orr: Orr made a significant contribution to Geelong in the 2018 VFLW competition. Dangerous in front of goal, she kicked 13 goals for the season, the equal 5th most of any player in the competition. She finished 5th in the competition for total scoreboard impact points, showing her ability to also create scores. Orr rated above average in a number of statistical categories for a forward, including inside 50s, score assists, goals and shot at goal accuracy.

Olivia Purcell: Purcell played as an attacking midfielder for Victoria Country at the NAB AFLW Under 18 Championships. Her ball winning ability was elite, averaging 21 disposals a game. Purcell surged the ball forward, recording 5 inside 50s per game, ranked number 1 of any midfielder. Her strength around the stoppage was exceptional, ranked 2nd for first possessions and clearances. Purcell's scoreboard impact was damaging, averaging 5 score involvements per game.

Denby Taylor: The Cats selected Taylor with Pick 20 in the 2018 NAB AFLW draft. She was best on ground in the Geelong Falcons 2018 TAC Cup grand final win and was named in the TAC cup team of the year in both 2017 and 2018. Playing as a key defender at the 2018 NAB AFLW under 18 championships she was an accumulator, recording 10 disposals per game, the most of any key defender. Taylor wasn't afraid to apply pressure, laying the 2nd most tackles of any key defender.

Anna Teague; A former Geelong basketball captain, Teague featured in 4 games for Melbourne in the AFLW last season before returning to Geelong for the upcoming season. She rated below average for disposals but made the most of these opportunities, recording the 2nd best disposal efficiency of all key defenders. Her VFLW form left room for improvement, ranking average for Champion Data ranking points, disposals and intercepts.

Hayley Trevean: After featuring in 1 game for Carlton in the 2017 AFLW season, Trevean was delisted and has since played in the VFLW for the Cats where she proved to be capable in all zones. Showing her ability to win the ball and be dangerous going forward, Trevean rated above average for disposals, groundball gets, clearances and inside 50s, while rating elite for score involvements. She also worked hard to defend, rating above average for tackles and rebound 50s.

Sophie Van De Heuvel: Taken with pick 2 in the AFLW draft, Van De Heuvel had an outstanding NAB AFLW Under 18 Championships with her ability to find the ball in space, averaging 11 uncontested possessions per match, which rated elite for a midfielder. She was quick to move the ball on, playing on from a mark 47% of the time, the most of any player at the Championships. She was able to push forward and have an impact on the scoreboard, averaging an elite 5 score involvements per match.

Rebecca Webster: Webster was a steady influence in defence for Victoria Country in the NAB AFLW Under 18 Championships. She was one of only 2 defenders to average more than 15 disposals, recording 18 per game. She was able to balance winning the ball both inside and outside, rating elite for both contested and uncontested possessions. Webster's kicking efficiency was elite, kicking the ball at 74%, the highest percentage of any player at the Championships to have 25 or more kicks.

Madaleine McMahon: McMahon's game was extremely well-rounded, from her 14 VFLW matches, she was the only ruck to rank above average or better for the following statistics: Champion Data ranking points, disposals, kicking efficiency, contested marks, clearances, inside 50s and rebound 50s. While she only recorded 12 hitouts per game, McMahon's ruckwork was effective, recording the 3rd best hitout to advantage rate of all rucks to play 10 or more games.

Georgie Rankin: Rankin joins Geelong as a rookie signing after representing Queensland as a junior basketballer. Her bloodlines run deep with Geelong, with her great grandfather Teddy Rankin recently being elevated as a club legend. She played AFLW in the QWFA Division 2 competition where she regularly hit the scoreboard, kicking 12 goals and was named in the best players 9 times from her 10 matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back