AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Geelong Cats have begun discussions with key stakeholders around the entry of a women’s team into the proposed AFL women’s competition.

The AFL is expected to launch the competition in 2017, and the Cats have already met with AFL management and AFL Barwon to discuss how the Cats and the league would benefit by the inclusion of a Geelong team.

Geelong coach Chris Scott was at the forefront of pushing for a women’s team last August.

"There's a huge appetite within the region for a women's team,” Scott said. “There's high participation rates and the club, in principle, is very, very supportive.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-12-03/cats-investigating-possible-womens-side

AFLW Tipping Comp

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/pickem/

Winner gets a BF Platinum Membership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
This is one subject I have very much changed my mind on.... I was very much a male only sport years ago... I now whole heartedly support the club in the endeavour..... If girls want to play the sport good on them and there should be a path for local girls to channel to the top.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
That's exciting news. I'm personally not a fan of watching women crash into each other (yet), but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be given the opportunity to compete in an equivalent competition. I watch almost exclusively sports with male participants and I worry it sends the wrong message to my daughter. Having the hoops on a women's team I can watch and support is a step forward in my eyes.

Plus another chance at a flag!

sharks33

Cancelled
Apr 24, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
This is one subject I have every much changed my mind on.... I was very much a male only sport years ago... I now whole heartedly support the club in the endeavour..... If girls want to play the sport good on them and the should be a path for local girls to channel to the top.
Yeah 100% agree, i thoroughly enjoyed the dogs demons game and tayla harris is a better kick than josh walker.

This is one subject I have every much changed my mind on.... I was very much a male only sport years ago... I now whole heartedly support the club in the endeavour..... If girls want to play the sport good on them and the should be a path for local girls to channel to the top.
I agree, opening up avenues for women to play the sport and earlier than that, girls, can only be a good thing as it will help increase their collective interest in the sport.

This can only be good for attendances and memberships etc.

CatsDoItBetter

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Renegades
Great move afl has one of the highest percentage of female members of any sport in the world yet they can't compete at any serious level. I will admit it's unlikely I would watch many games unless they are a curtain raiser such as the previous exhibition ones. But I hope a thriving womens afl comp can take off giving girls who love afl something to aspire to.

AlcoaCat

Club Legend
Jul 23, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Perth Cardinals
I agree.

The women's footy I have watched has been excellent. I played a lot of hockey in Perth in the 80s when the Sandgropers were particularly strong (Ric Charlesworth, if you can recall), and was always genuinely interested in the women's game. Not so fast, but highly competitive and skilful. Women's footy is the same.

It's amazing how much support footy gets from women. About time this was much more strongly acknowledged. An idea whose time has come.

Aug 24, 2015
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Liverpool
Really support this! Respect for women who make a great contribution to our game as supporters and players.

Will come with a host of issues though that AFL will have to deal with fast.

-Equal pay disputes
-Crowd numbers
-Salary caps

all the best for the development but a long way to go.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Really support this! Respect for women who make a great contribution to our game as supporters and players.

-Equal pay disputes
-Crowd numbers
-Salary caps

One major issue, at least in Vic, will be its implications for the thriving local league, which is likely to be gutted of its best players, and in substantial numbers.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
This is one subject I have very much changed my mind on.... I was very much a male only sport years ago... I now whole heartedly support the club in the endeavour..... If girls want to play the sport good on them and the should be a path for local girls to channel to the top.
I'm with you - I find women's sport in general pretty boring but that's my problem and not theirs so I'm 100% behind the idea. I think it's a good way to include the whole community "in football". :)

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins

-Equal pay disputes
-Crowd numbers
-Salary caps

To be honest, women's football will in all likelihood never get big enough to worry about this stuff. Men's sport brings 1 billion hence the large pay. I fear that at least for the next 50 years women's football will pique people's curiosity and nothing more.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
I'm looking forward to all of the extra discussion from tactics to our lack of ruckmen and the inevitable sack the coach thread. I caught half of one of the women's games this year and it was quite enjoyable despite the low scoring.

I'm curious to see how professional the league actually is. On the money front the W-league has a salary cap of 150k for 20 to 26 players and a 70k marquee player out of the cap. How long is the season going to be considering that there could only be 8 teams to the start with.

Jon Douglas

Premiership Player
Jan 8, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
If it is not a costly exercise I say go for it. The more people play the more they spread the sport - the passion.

It may help longer term to get more women into the sport, who also support a AFL team - and maybe more will go AFL matches (or at least watch it on TV more often). This creates a win win situation. Clubs get more fans, more memberships, better TV rights, better gat takings, etc and the passion for the sport grows just that bit more.

If it grows, and who knows, the they become partially self supporting - which is good. Whether it works or not, and we will not know that answer until it is here, we should give it a try if there is a good demand from women to who want to play and train.

They say it will be the Asian century - well hopefully it will be the women's century as well - in may ways including professional sport.

Historically women, the poor in and very young in general have not had the best of times.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
:D

LOL it doesn't matter what the club or anyone else decides. It's already set in stone.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
They never will, but gee I hope they name the team what I assume is your idea. Bit of humor never goes astray!

But seriously, love it. Great move from the AFL and hope we are at the forefront.

I'm prepared to bet that it will be what they are called by
- the majority of supporters, and
- all of the team-members themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back