AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic news to wake up to.

Big congratulations to all at the club who took onboard what the AFL said we needed to work on, then went out and did the hard yards to ensure that we got a licence.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Maybe. It might also encourage women to stick with the sport and not switch codes locally too.
Yeah - and currently, with the short format, players play in both the VFLW and the AFLW.

You'd imagine that once participation numbers are up, though, there'd finally be the room for both. I'd be interested to see the gender split in Auskick this year vs previous years.

Fantastic news to wake up to.

Big congratulations to all at the club who took onboard what the AFL said we needed to work on, then went out and did the hard yards to ensure that we got a licence.

I can easily see us being the standard setter of the Vic clubs once we get the list settled.

We have already shown our ability to jump ahead with what we did post missing the licence first time. Everyone had different ideas on which clubs would come in but there was always one team on everyone's list, GEELONG!!!

Logical choice to choose us.

But North getting a team ... is it the huge fan base, full stadiums or financial stability that they sold them on? North now has 2 AFL teams ... Tasmania still has none. Funny.

But North getting a team ... is it the huge fan base, full stadiums or financial stability that they sold them on? North now has 2 AFL teams ... Tasmania still has none. Funny.
Need to look at the AFL long game here, the Tasmanian Kangaroos AFLW side being 50/50 Tas/Vic makeup will be the first step in Norths relocation to the Apple Isle full time

I can easily see us being the standard setter of the Vic clubs once we get the list settled.

We have already shown our ability to jump ahead with what we did post missing the licence first time. Everyone had different ideas on which clubs would come in but there was always one team on everyone's list, GEELONG!!!
Incorporating the separate dedicated AFLW changerooms within the Brownlow Stand redevelopment looks to be an inspired decision.

Makes our side miles ahead in terms of facilities of every other side in AFLW, the players don't have to travel to multiple locations to train, all done centrally at KP

Need to look at the AFL long game here, the Tasmanian Kangaroos AFLW side being 50/50 Tas/Vic makeup will be the first step in Norths relocation to the Apple Isle full time

Yeah, I think the plan is that North will in 5 years be the only Tasmanian team, play 8 home games down there, 3 at Etihad/MCG, 5 interstate and 6 away Vic games. Pretty good set up for them and secures them long term.

The AFLW side I think will play in 2019

3-4 Tasmania
3-4 Victoira
1-2 Interstate

Be interesting to see what happens with the draw in 2020, do they play more than 9 rounds?

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey

Also I believe that Norf has been supporting women's footy through the Uni side for years?

Deep

Genius on Drugs
Jun 16, 2017
Waterfall Gully
AFL Club
Geelong

Excluding WB & Melbourne, Geelong and North have contributed more to women's footy than anyone else.

A good choice provided what they've done, however might not be the best one financially.

drunkill

Club Legend
May 16, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Much rather we spent the money on the vfl team. Very important we have them firing on all cylinders for finals next year

AFLW teams are funded by the AFL, not by the clubs.

The clubs would spend some money on facilities but the Victorian Government already did that for Geelong.

The club will only be paying a few extra staff salaries while most other expenses including player salaries are picked up by the AFL for a few years until the leauge and or clubs make money from their AFLW sides.

So yeah, no question this is a good thing for Geelong. Grats.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Having 2 daughters I think the women's league is fantastic how they show it on T.V etc.
Unfortunately they already go for the dogs but it has my youngest wanting to play footy next year and has got them more interested in kicking the footy out the front.
I bet ya there's dads all over the country saying the same thing too.

Maybe. It might also encourage women to stick with the sport and not switch codes locally too.

On the flipside, it will also attract girls/women from other sports who want to play football.

I know the Geelong Supercats decided to introduce an U20s women's team for next year to help counter the loss of young basketballers to football. They acknowledged a gap in their program that currently has 3 x u16s & 3 x u18s in the VJBL but the next step was either Youth League (u23), Big V Div 1 or the SEABL side - and not all players will make there immediate transition to those levels.

Anglin (chief executive) said it was the direct response to the threat of women’s football in Geelong and Victoria.
“I think, from our point of view, we’re continuously focused on strengthening our women’s program,” he said.
“We’ve got to be mindful of the fact AFL have got a fairly vigorous push into women’s sport right now; that’s going to have an impact on basketball and we want to make sure we do everything we can to give girls an opportunity to keep playing the sport

i just think it's great that local girls & women are getting better opportunities to play their chosen sports for local teams, at higher levels and in stronger competitions than we could have thought of 10 years ago

I'd love to see a Father/Daughter and Mother/Son rule in play at some point. It'd also be nice to stop the cringeworthy "hope it's a son!" every time a player has a kid.

Best of luck to her, by the way.

THE AFL has developed a father-daughter rule ahead of the upcoming Sign and Trade Period in the NAB AFL Women's Competition.

After the success of its inaugural year, the League outlined its rules for the 2018 season, with the creation of the father-daughter rule a key element.

The father must have played at least one AFL game for his club for it to have first access to his daughter at the women's draft, which will be held in mid-October to finalise list spots.

No news on a mother/daughter or mother/son rule at this stage

My dad would have loved today's announcement - he was a mad Geelong supporter and he made sure I also bled blue & white. Growing up, when I was home "sick" from school or weekends/holidays etc I was always kicking the footy with dad, but that was only ever as far as I could go - I was born with a heart condition & been under cardiologist care since I was an infant; and an impact is on things on sporting participation and things that would put too much stress on the heart.

At one visit with my cardiologist, I would have been 7 or 9 (25 or so years ago - showing my age) and he asked me what I wanted to do when I grew up. It was my dad who answered quickly saying, "pay AFL" - my cardiologist nearly had a heart attack.

What I find really cool about the last 12 months & especially today for Geelong fans, is that a dad or a mum can actually say that about their daughters, and that young girls can grow up with that dream for themselves.

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
THE AFL has developed a father-daughter rule ahead of the upcoming Sign and Trade Period in the NAB AFL Women's Competition.

No news on a mother/daughter or mother/son rule at this stage
That's fantastic news. Somebody, MAKE SOME PHONE CALLS.

upload_2017-9-27_19-27-5.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back