AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
....................One of the mates posted a tweet saying that people should not be criticized for saying that they don't like AFLW............

You’re right, they shouldn’t, but I’ll be surprised if anyone goes there because they’ll fear the tsunami of accusation about their reasoning that will undoubtedly follow given the current climate.

Hopefully you’re right and the standard improves enough that they attract a loyal following and make the competition viable and sustainable.

You’re right, they shouldn’t, but I’ll be surprised if anyone goes there because they’ll fear the tsunami of accusation about their reasoning that will undoubtedly follow given the current climate.

I really don't know what you are talking about.

hbri__26__big_sister_is_watching_you__by_honeybadgerradio-d7syls3.jpg

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
One of the mates posted a tweet saying that people should not be criticized for saying that they don't like AFLW.
I agree.
But to be honest, I don't mind it. I have come to terms with what it is.
I don't try and compare it to AFL as they are professional male players and women will never be able to compete with them due to physically stronger makeup of males.

But I think that the standard of AFLW will improve in the future. I also think that the AFL have got the timing right for the AFLW season in that it does not compete with the regular AFL season.

Yep, agree with all that, particularly the bolded. The standard will improve. I doubt I’ll watch it - but that’s no slur on them. Outside of Geelong games I barely watch regular footy either.

With pre season comp gone it really does the fill the void of what the old knock out comp use to do.
I understand people dont like it, I watch most games up until the men’s start then watch them more.

I may be more interested in the AFLW next year during the JLT with the Cats going around, looking forward to watching a game or two at GMHBA stadium.

Hopefully you’re right and the standard improves enough that they attract a loyal following and make the competition viable and sustainable.
I don't watch it but that is because I'm much like Partridge on that count.

Other than Geelong games I don't have the same level of interest in footy nowadays. Geelong entering the comp might change that but my gut says it is unlikely.

However, to the point about the standard. As the juniors start coming through who have played and trained for a number of years it'll lift. The good thing is there is now a pathway and an ultimate goal for them. When you are using players from all different sporting codes you have to expect it to be a bit lower to begin with.

Yep, agree with all that, particularly the bolded. The standard will improve. I doubt I’ll watch it - but that’s no slur on them. Outside of Geelong games I barely watch regular footy either.

Mate, I am so desperate for footy that I would probably watch some of the BF mates kicking a footy around a park while they were drunk.

Other than Geelong games I don't have the same level of interest in footy nowadays.
Any team that beats Hawthorn will have my attention.
Footscray knocking the Dawks out of the finals in 2016 was beautiful to watch.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

Other than Geelong games I don't have the same level of interest in footy nowadays. Geelong entering the comp might change that but my gut says it is unlikely.

However, to the point about the standard. As the juniors start coming through who have played and trained for a number of years it'll lift. The good thing is there is now a pathway and an ultimate goal for them. When you are using players from all different sporting codes you have to expect it to be a bit lower to begin with.

Yeah, I’m with you guys, and got to admit that my waning interest in footy has corrupted my assessment of the initials offerings from the AFLW.

Sigh.......if you’d told me that one day I’d be so blase about footy I would’ve looked at you askance. But they’ve done such a superb job of perverting the game we once loved that I almost don’t care for it anymore. Anyhow, that’s a discussion for another day......

Sadly, I too highly doubt the AFLW will re-ignite my passion.

Yeah, I’m with you guys, and got to admit that my waning interest in footy has corrupted my assessment of the initials offerings from the AFLW.

Sigh.......if you’d told me that one day I’d be so blase about footy I would’ve looked at you askance. But they’ve done such a superb job of perverting the game we once loved that I almost don’t care for it anymore. Anyhow, that’s a discussion for another day......

Sadly, I too highly doubt the AFLW will re-ignite my passion.

There are things that I do not like about the current game in AFL football.
The horrible flooding thing that looks to me like under 10's football where 36 players are in one half of the ground makes my blood boil. It is as ugly as sin to watch. And don't get me started on the "deliberate out of bounds" rule.

But having said that, I could never bring myself to say that "I almost don't care for it anymore".
I just love the game too much.

catswhiskers

Premiership Player
Mar 13, 2006
Far North East
AFL Club
Geelong
I think its important to remember this is women's footy.

Comparing AFL women's footy to men's AFL footy is not what this is about. It is not the same thing.

BUT. It is interesting AND at last young girls who love to play the game will now have a pathway to follow. No more will they have to play soccer or join the others at netball/B.Ball just to get a bit physical. As this happens the standard of football will continue to improve and continue to entertain.

Now GFC are coming in, the pull of the colours and club will hit. I expect it to be, at least, very engaging.

Just as an extra. I would like to see the ladies season expanded. Started after trade season (mens) with a break for Xmas / New year then more H&A and a decent finals series.

I think its important to remember this is women's footy.

Comparing AFL women's footy to men's AFL footy is not what this is about. It is not the same thing.

BUT. It is interesting AND at last young girls who love to play the game will now have a pathway to follow. No more will they have to play soccer or join the others at netball/B.Ball just to get a bit physical. As this happens the standard of football will continue to improve and continue to entertain.

Now GFC are coming in, the pull of the colours and club will hit. I expect it to be, at least, very engaging.

Just as an extra. I would like to see the ladies season expanded. Started after trade season (mens) with a break for Xmas / New year then more H&A and a decent finals series.
Not sure they would get the ovals needed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

InnocentBystandr

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2009
Canberra
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
ADFA Rams
I enjoy watching the AFLW - a bit like watching suburban football. The thing I've noticed this year is the improved quality of marking, especially contested marking. Kicking has a lot of improvement to go, but you can't question the effort (especially the tackles). I will be a lot more invested when the Geelong team plays next year. (I hope the Geelong women playing for other clubs ATM will come back 'home')

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I enjoy watching the AFLW - a bit like watching suburban football. The thing I've noticed this year is the improved quality of marking, especially contested marking. Kicking has a lot of improvement to go, but you can't question the effort (especially the tackles). I will be a lot more invested when the Geelong team plays next year. (I hope the Geelong women playing for other clubs ATM will come back 'home')
Can't agree more. Lots of complaints about the skill levels, well derr - people should have seen that coming. But you can't fault the endeavour of the participants. I find it great to watch.

I am happy to say that I was the said tweeter, and I am not against AFLW as some are, I am just not sure how much I enjoy it... But I do find that some people get attacked for suggesting that and how it often comes back to being a sexist thing which i didn't think was fair.
I have no doubt at all that for some people it is a sexist thing, but I also don't think people should be afraid to say they don't like it or can make that statement independent of the sex of the participants

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I am happy to say that I was the said tweeter, and I am not against AFLW as some are, I am just not sure how much I enjoy it... But I do find that some people get attacked for suggesting that and how it often comes back to being a sexist thing which i didn't think was fair.
I have no doubt at all that for some people it is a sexist thing, but I also don't think people should be afraid to say they don't like it or can make that statement independent of the sex of the participants

I don’t enjoy it........I struggle to remain interested given the standard and low scoring.

Nothing to do with gender, just the quality of the product being offered.

Interesting to see some rumblings in the media about the very same issue.

But, sexism is a hot topic atm and some want to pin that tag on all and sundry, hence the caution.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
There are things that I do not like about the current game in AFL football.
The horrible flooding thing that looks to me like under 10's football where 36 players are in one half of the ground makes my blood boil. It is as ugly as sin to watch. And don't get me started on the "deliberate out of bounds" rule.

But having said that, I could never bring myself to say that "I almost don't care for it anymore".
I just love the game too much.

The flooding, the OOB rule, the ridiculous interpretations of the rules, the constant meddling by the AFL, the stupidity of the MRP, the virtual elimination of physical contact.......aargh!!

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I don’t enjoy it........I struggle to remain interested given the standard and low scoring.

Nothing to do with gender, just the quality of the product being offered.

Interesting to see some rumblings in the media about the very same issue.

But, sexism is a hot topic atm and some want to pin that tag on all and sundry, hence the caution.
I think it is important that we facilitate the growth of women's football regardless of the current standard. To do otherwise would be to maintain the status quo, and the status quo WAS sexist. It's a disgrace that women's national AFL took so long to gain funding and development.

The reason that the standard is poor is that we have taken so little interest in the women's game. You can support them, or stay out of the way. But if you work towards denigrating the league and undermining it's success, you deserve every accusation levelled at you IMO.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
I think it is important that we facilitate the growth of women's football regardless of the current standard. To do otherwise would be to maintain the status quo, and the status quo WAS sexist. It's a disgrace that women's national AFL took so long to gain funding and development.

The reason that the standard is poor is that we have taken so little interest in the women's game. You can support them, or stay out of the way. But if you work towards denigrating the league and undermining it's success, you deserve every accusation levelled at you IMO.

To be clear, I’ve never denigrated the league, or the concept. I’m simply saying that, personally, I just don’t enjoy it.

Hopefully there are enough people who can maintain an interest for the length of time required to see the competition rise to a worthy standard.

Whether there are enough people to do that, and pay for the product on offer in the meantime, is a legitimate question that carries no sexist connotations.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
To be clear, I’ve never denigrated the league, or the concept. I’m simply saying that, personally, I just don’t enjoy it.

Hopefully there are enough people who can maintain an interest for the length of time required to see the competition rise to a worthy standard.

Whether there are enough people to do that, and pay for the product on offer in the meantime, is a legitimate question that carries no sexist connotations.
Not saying you directly, it was the royal "you".

I do worry that if it is not financially capable of supporting itself while it gets established that the rumblings you talk about in the media will gain momentum.

We owe the women of AFL more than tokenism. We owe them whatever it takes for them to stand on their own two feet. I have seen the support that mother's, daughters and sisters have given for the love of the game at grass roots level. It's time to give back, I reckon.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Not saying you directly, it was the royal "you".

I do worry that if it is not financially capable of supporting itself while it gets established that the rumblings you talk about in the media will gain momentum.

We owe the women of AFL more than tokenism. We owe them whatever it takes for them to stand on their own two feet. I have seen the support that mother's, daughters and sisters have given for the love of the game at grass roots level. It's time to give back, I reckon.

Don’t disagree.

My daughter played AFL daily in high school against the boys during inpromptu matches at lunchtme......until the school realised and banned her from participating........then she was banned from any form of formal competition within the local leagues because of her gender.

So I get the whole equality thing.

But we all know that money rules sport, and I fear people won’t tolerate 4 goal games for too long.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

I have noticed a tweek by a couple of side to move away from handball. They dont have the strength to play the same way as men..too many hand balls seem to just plonk at the feet of the handballer .. but a couple of teams have focused more on kicking it , not being 100% focused on possession , look for the 25/35 metre hit up which is within the girls ability to kick ..and it puts a higher emphasises on the girls who are better marks. The grisl are not great at using the fat side of the ground as they have limited penetration on their kicks etc...over all it reminds me more of local footy or footy from a previous era..and the girls who have better talent and skills like Daisy standout.
I hope Geelong focus on getting strong marks in their recruitment , not just good runners etc.

Jul 3, 2008
Just under pussy's bow.
AFL Club
Geelong
It's interesting reading in the papers how the AFL are already a little in panic mode about how AFLW is being coached, fearful of an ugly game, low scores, etc.

So once again, it will up to the Cats, arriving just in time, to save footy with an attractive, skillful game, the way it should be played.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
It's interesting reading in the papers how the AFL are already a little in panic mode about how AFLW is being coached, fearful of an ugly game, low scores, etc.

So once again, it will up to the Cats, arriving just in time, to save footy with an attractive, skillful game, the way it should be played.

And another game completed with just 39 points scored......in total.

Improvement needs to start soon, before public indifference sets in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back