Analysis Geelong Cats are preliminary finals chokers: Some hard truthes.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think both the loss in 2016 & 2017 have demonstrated we are simply not good enough. We always hope our b graders can have an outbreak season but sadly the reality is that they haven't and probably never will. Duncan has stepped up but guys like Lang, Motlop, Kolo and Guthrie won't take us to next level. Some tough decisions need to be made during off season.

And they will be hence Lang appearing in the paper during the finals out of the blue that he was of.

Go Cats!!!!!

This one hurts particulately hard
To know that we are actually capable of beating anyone in the comp when we take the game on , only to see Scott go back to zone off footy after a brilliant attacking game against Sydney, is pissing me off no end

This Club will never see another flag whilst Scott is the coach. Nothing surer

Weirdly enough he got the message.

Go Cats!!!!!

This one hurts particulately hard
To know that we are actually capable of beating anyone in the comp when we take the game on , only to see Scott go back to zone off footy after a brilliant attacking game against Sydney, is pissing me off no end

This Club will never see another flag whilst Scott is the coach. Nothing surer

Our game plan was absolutely deplorable against the crows.

Our game plan was absolutely deplorable against the crows.
Yet it was exactly the same as the week before apparently. Scott's obsession with zone off footy and starving the club of their best brand of football will be his legacy.
Sadly only time will tell .......until then, we have to go through the motions

You watch Richmond fight to get cotchin off for his bump and compare to the pathetic effort when dangerfield got suspended. We are soft from the top down. We are spineless as a club and the players are a reflection of that

Are you serious?
Let's pretend Cotchin gets the same as Danger, and then switch the positions, Danger for a GF, Cotchin for a meaningless home and away game in July.
I absolutely 100% guarantee the results would be identical.

Lack of focus and Scotty has indicated that if anyone thinks we are close they are dreaming. I suspect he'll roll back those next year. He is a good media performer and would do well there after his coaching days but am always uncomfortable with us in the media which on the other hand isn't right either. Having to week in and week out say very little while talking allot must beca pain at times. Steve Hocking didn't like being out front and hardly ever was.

Go Cats!!!!!
With respect, that is at best a bland description of disaster

The national anthem just showed that the Crows are all on the same page and a team. We are just a bunch of individuals, its why under pressure we panic, it's why Danger does a heap of media work, its why when we are down Danger and Menzel blaze away.

Please. The great teams of 2007-11 were like a dogs breakfast during the national anthem. The Crows and their little attempted show of strength had nothing to do with the loss.

When you give up 17/21 goals from your own turnovers, that may be an area to focus on I'd have thought.

Why would we. The defensive team have been splendid this year.

The forwards however. Kick Rahillys arse to the curb
McCarthy, Gregson and Cockatoo injured most of the year and Menzel, both poor defensively and 'managed' on occasions, combined with Harry forward and back so many times it is dizzy, throw in Stanley who has been unable to provide a decent support to the Hawk and all blame is not on the coaches.

The mental deficiencies in being blown away twice in the last quarter of two finals is a major issue that has effected the whole team and is primarily Scott's job to resolve.

McCarthy, Gregson and Cockatoo injured most of the year and Menzel, both poor defensively and 'managed' on occasions, combined with Harry forward and back so many times it is dizzy, throw in Stanley who has been unable to provide a decent support to the Hawk and all blame is not on the coaches.

The mental deficiencies in being blown away twice in the last quarter of two finals is a major issue that has effected the whole team and is primarily Scott's job to resolve.
I lay the blame heavily at the feet of Scott. His zone off, over use brand of football is 10@% ineffective at finals level.
That doesn't mean as a line coach you can't get the basics right, like crumb, chase, tackle defend, hit targets, kick important goals, and crash packs. That has nothing to do with injuries.......EVERYONE on an AFL list should be at least able to do the basics
Rahilly has been a massive failure

Care to elaborate because what I read makes a lot of sense.

I'm interested to hear what exactly you don't agree with.
I do not need to elaborate on what is essentially a series of bizarre opinions using a comparison with a US basketball team from 25 years ago as a blueprint.

It is essentially statements without evidence and an absurd wish list. Sam Newman as a ruck coach...hilarious.

I have given a brief summary of some of the issues here.

I do not need to elaborate on what is essentially a series of bizarre opinions using a comparison with a US basketball team from 25 years ago as a blueprint.

It is essentially statements without evidence and an absurd wish list. Sam Newman as a ruck coach...hilarious.

I have given a brief summary of some of the issues here.
So you disagreed with a small section of the post and disregarded the rest but can't explain why.

Cool. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I lay the blame heavily at the feet of Scott. His zone off, over use brand of football is 10@% ineffective at finals level.
That doesn't mean as a line coach you can't get the basics right, like crumb, chase, tackle defend, hit targets, kick important goals, and crash packs. That has nothing to do with injuries.......EVERYONE on an AFL list should be at least able to do the basics
Rahilly has been a massive failure
I assume you mean 100% ineffective. If that were the case we would not have beaten Sydney.

Doing the basics is not the problem. The problem is that the best small forwards are rarely played, we have had to rely on two first year teenagers for most of the year; expecting Parfitt and Parsons to "do the basics" as well as a Betts or Greene is unrealistic, and we have not been able to establish a permanent tall forward to assist Hawkins. We have had one good forward - Hawkins and have had to bring in Dangerfield to play forward so we have someone to kick to. Perhaps it is the fault of Rahilly or perhaps it is the reality that we have an unstable and inexperienced forward line, it seems that some Cat fans are simply wanting to find someone to blame.

I am more concerned over the mental breakdown when under pressure, especially in the mid-field and the health of our potential forwards than finger pointing.

So you disagreed with a small section of the post and disregarded the rest but can't explain why.

Cool. :thumbsu:
You didn't understand either of my posts nor read my response earlier! Makes it easier to dismiss without analysis. Real cool:thumbsu:

I assume you mean 100% ineffective. If that were the case we would not have beaten Sydney.

Doing the basics is not the problem. The problem is that the best small forwards are rarely played, we have had to rely on two first year teenagers for most of the year; expecting Parfitt and Parsons to "do the basics" as well as a Betts or Greene is unrealistic, and we have not been able to establish a permanent tall forward to assist Hawkins. We have had one good forward - Hawkins and have had to bring in Dangerfield to play forward so we have someone to kick to. Perhaps it is the fault of Rahilly or perhaps it is the reality that we have an unstable and inexperienced forward line, it seems that some Cat fans are simply wanting to find someone to blame.

I am more concerned over the mental breakdown when under pressure, especially in the mid-field and the health of our potential forwards than finger pointing.
Sydney were ripe for the picking. They'd played 15 elimination finals in a row.
I stand by my statement.
As for mental breakdown under pressure.....we are on the same page there.
If you don't respond to anything in life, not just footy, it goes to your character
Something serious lacking at this club.

This is exactly the time for finger pointing and home truths
Let's see who can take it and who can't, then we can start to address the issue

You watch Richmond fight to get cotchin off for his bump and compare to the pathetic effort when dangerfield got suspended. We are soft from the top down. We are spineless as a club and the players are a reflection of that
The club is fine, it is some of the fans who are spineless. Those who think the players and the club "owe them" as if they and only they are the most important people in the world. 'My football team lost boo hoo it is their fault, it is the coaches fault, it is the club's fault...boo hoo

Many of us older folk went through far tougher times than we have been through in the last five years...crikey 3 Prelims in 5 seasons...in the 70's we couldn't even make the finals. Richmond couldn't even win a final until this year...I guess if Hardwick had been our coach just as many would have been calling for his head...yet now they are heading into a GF. Some of you need to eat a bag of cement.

Last edited:
Sydney were ripe for the picking. They'd played 15 elimination finals in a row.
I stand by my statement.
As for mental breakdown under pressure.....we are on the same page there.
If you don't respond to anything in life, not just footy, it goes to your character
Something serious lacking at this club.

This is exactly the time for finger pointing and home truths
Let's see who can take it and who can't, then we can start to address the issue
No they had not. They played the same number of H&A games as everyone else, you are just repeating the excuse that Longmire used to explain why they were blown away by a better team. Bulldogs were in an almost identical position last year and went on to win a flag, every club tries to win every game.

By all means if you want to write to Scott and see what he says, go ahead. Otherwise moaning here about a player or a coach you don't like is simply meaningless. Perhaps it helps you through the night though. Best of luck with that champ.

No they had not. They played the same number of H&A games as everyone else, you are just repeating the excuse that Longmire used to explain why they were blown away by a better team. Bulldogs were in an almost identical position last year and went on to win a flag, every club tries to win every game.

By all means if you want to write to Scott and see what he says, go ahead. Otherwise moaning here about a player or a coach you don't like is simply meaningless. Perhaps it helps you through the night though. Best of luck with that champ.
Heads up champ. This is a footy forum full of diverse opinions and personalities.
If I choose to come here and 'moan' tough t***ies for you
This is not an echo chamber for you and your circle jerking mates
I throw my heart and soul into the footy club year in year out out, and I contribute at least a couple of Grand every year in merchandise and memberships.
That won't stop anytime soon either, so I'll have my 'moan' anytime I see fit.

MOD EDIT - Keep it clean Jimmy.

Last edited:
The club is fine, it is many of the fans who are spineless. Those who think the players and the club "owe them" as if they and only they are the most important people in the world. 'My football team lost boo hoo it is their fault, it is the coaches fault, it is the club's fault...boo hoo

Many of us older folk went through far tougher times than we have been through in the last five years...crikey 3 Prelims in 5 seasons...in the 70's we couldn't even make the finals. Richmond couldn't even win a final until this year...I guess if Hardwick had been our coach just as many would have been calling for his head...yet now they are heading into a GF. Some of you need to eat a bag of cement.

If there was no fans then there would be no club champ.

Going to see the pathetic effort against richmond then cook blaming it on the cats fans, maybe it is the club who thinks we owe them.

You are right about them not oweing me anything as i will not be renewing my membership next year

Going to see the pathetic effort against richmond then cook blaming it on the cats fans, maybe it is the club who thinks we owe them.

You are right about them not oweing me anything as i will not be renewing my membership next year
I'd encourage you not to do that mate. I dread the day I'm surrounded by soulless, mediocrity accepting, dullards like some of the circle jerkers on this board.
The more passionate supporters the better

There is a difference between supportive fans and those that think the club owes them. Many jumped on the bandwagon 2007-11 and expect the same success and are unable to accept the cycles of life.

Cook did not blame the fans for the loss to Richmond, he was disappointed that so few turned up.

ok..bye then.

Go Catterss

And they will be hence Lang appearing in the paper during the finals out of the blue that he was of.

Go Cats!!!!!
Poor B***dy Lang he palsy what 6 games this year and is expected to perform at A level in finals. Murdoch on the other hand plays all year, and we might have our problems with him but he was there and the others are used to playing with him so he becomes part of the regular and consistent structure, plays in 1 win/1 loss against Adelaide and 1 win against Richmond and then is dropped.
Makes no sense

Remove this Banner Ad

Back