AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong should've been in there before Collingwood IMO. I get all the "Collingwood is part of the big 4" crap, but the Magpies also put together a side in the national netball league at about the same time. How many more pies do they want to put their fingers in, pardon the pun.
Plus making the side play at a substandard oval

Geelong should've been in there before Collingwood IMO. I get all the "Collingwood is part of the big 4" crap, but the Magpies also put together a side in the national netball league at about the same time. How many more pies do they want to put their fingers in, pardon the pun.
They were always getting one after Eddie started throwing a tantrum

They were always getting one after Eddie started throwing a tantrum
One of those occasions where I wish Carter were a little more vocal, should have played up the club being a founding member of every comp VFA, VFL, AFL. Being one of the oldest sporting clubs in the world etc

Absolutely. A foundation club that is not represented in AFLW.
We were a foundation club in the VFL..we have a VFLW team.

If a totally new AFU started ... and they have only 12 clubs.. would we be automatically considered or would we be given the gummy bear and Honey treatment.. We would be very important..just not as import as some of the others.

So the Provision licences are about as relevant as an ash tray on a motorbike.

Someone I work with has a daughter who played with the Falcons girl team and we were having a conversation yesterday about how excited her daughter and her Falcon teammates were now that there is a chance to play for a local team in the national competition in a couple of years. Why would you dangle that carrot, spend so much time and effort in getting a VFLW team up and running, only to do a complete 180 and say "Nah, stuff it."?

I agree but this is huge slap in the face for the same excited girls.. How many will be playing in others teams while we are twiddling our thumbs.

Really pi55ed off with the AFL delaying the expansion next year. How many of the Geelong girls will accept offers at other clubs rather than wait an extra year? (and so when we do enter the comp, we'll be that much less competitive). :mad:

I hope we abandon the chase for a womens team now. I dont say this lightly but i think we should have followed Hawthorn and ignored the entire league. The AFL didnt set this thing up right to begin with and any expansion teams will be at a significant disadvantage in regards to talent now. All while the club spends a lot of money to develop what talent we can get our hands on, money that could be better spent elsewhere.

We are affiliated with MUWFC, have for a number of years and have been active in talent development as well as the development of their coaching staff for some time. The participation rate has been growing very strongly, there is a huge growth rate.

I know the talent is going to be a little thin in the short-term, especially as the competition expands, but we also have women going though our Tasmanian academy and our Next Generation Academy at Arden Street the 11-15 age group (hopefully the AFL and other clubs are doing something as well) so I think the talent pool will increase significantly.

Peter Gordon was critical of the AFL giving AFLW licenses to bigger name clubs and not to clubs that actually have been active in female talent development, but that is the AFL for you. It would be a shame if clubs like Geelong and North were not well ahead of the cue.

Anyway, was good to see the MUWFC/Tasmanian Academy combined team play the Darebin Falcons at Arden Street during the JLT, hopefully our clubs get involved at AFLW level sooner rather than later.

Typical...

AFL wants us to continue to put into their new system of WAFL with talent from the region, player development and resources for ANOTER year and get nothing back from it, while they draw increased exposure, great PR and increased revenue.

Seen this move before.

GO Catters

Still baffled that Carlton, a club that has been one of if not the most poorly run in the comp for 15 years, got a team straight out of the gate.

We were a foundation club in the VFL..we have a VFLW team.

We are the second oldest club in the AFL (a foundation club with Melbourne FC) and we are not represented in AFLW. That is my point.

We are the second oldest club in the AFL (a foundation club with Melbourne FC) and we are not represented in AFLW. That is my point.

I understand that Rab... but foundation member in the VFL as I see how they would see it .. is irrelevant... Basketball I know .. but I think Geelong was a foundation member in the NBL. I think they were but when it came time to trim , we were dropped like a hot potato. If they were starting a new league , I doubt we would be the first invited. I just don't think we are seen as a "must have" . Why don't we have a BBL team. Why don't we have a ALeague club.

And what I fear now is .. when it comes time to hand out new licences , the big brains at AFL HQ will think about the likes of Ess and Rich .. they will be having wet dreams about block buster AFLW games at the G. Ess and Coll. Car and Rich. Meanwhile Saints and Cats who should be automatic entry , as we were granted provisional licences yet they are now opening to all clubs?

If they truly are about developing the female game , there is a need in our part of the world for representation. It may be the only thing that gets us in imo. Even Cook has said our setup NOW is better than some of the teams currently in the comp.

Last edited:
Still baffled that Carlton, a club that has been one of if not the most poorly run in the comp for 15 years, got a team straight out of the gate.
You thought this man would be impartial?
1438593196440.jpg

The AFL is probably still miffed that Cook didn't leave Geelong to go to the Gold Coast when they wanted him to and are stalling on our application to get back at him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those interested, here's the round 2 side vs Seaford @ Shell Road Reserve, Ocean Grove 1pm Saturday:

Geelong
B: 35. K. Woodroffe, 44. R. Goring, 16. L. Williams
HB: 10. L. Taylor, 40. A. Teague, 31. J. Woollett
C: 1. E. Strachan, 33. H. Trevean, 3. H. Burchell
HF: 2. D. Higgins, 6. M. Boyd, 5. J. Ivey
F: 17. H. Mangan, 32. A. Habib, 8. K. Darby
R: 7. C. Hynes, 4. C. Blakeway, 14. L. Mithen
Int: 29. B. Surgeon, 13. E. Allen, 12. R. Garing, 15. M. Janssen
Emg: 19. E. Ramsay, 28. M. Fedele, 18. M. Maguire

For those interested, here's the round 2 side vs Seaford @ Shell Road Reserve, Ocean Grove 1pm Saturday:

Geelong

Can I ask why is this 18 a side when AFLW was 16? Anything to improve scoring should be maintained id have thought.

Geelong

On that note, for those who can't make it, there will be a radio call of the match via [NB: girlsplayfooty domain has been taken over by spammer.].
Link to the stream - http://tunein.com/radio/Girls-Play-Footy-Radio-s248908/

Im sure there would be plenty of other community development opportunities the club could explore for the same or perhaps even less money.

Not really, the club has just had to ask the supporters for extra cash to help the club get out of debt dont forget.

Im not against the idea of womens football, i just think the AFL have set it up in the worst possible way imaginable with little thought to the medium and log term viability of the league. And at this point, given how far behind we would be compared to the foundation clubs, getting a team that would in all likelihood flounder at the bottom of the ladder for years doesn't seem like a good investment to me. Which is exactly why Hawthorn arent even considering it.

two things:

1. At this point we have a team running around in VFLW league which will be in that development league for 2 years prior to the possibility of being awarded a licence - yes the better "foundation clubs" like Adelaide, Brisbane and Melbourne will be ahead of us but so what, when the VFL Started Melbourne and Geelong were in front of everyone in terms of development because they had been around the longest of any club, but that didn't mean that they won every game did it.

2. As far as Hawthorn not even considering it who cares what Hawthorn are doing, Oh and by the way they must be considering a licence somewhere down the track because they have a team in the same VFLW as we do and we flogged them last weekend.

For those who missed it earlier today....

Geelong 4.2 6.3 8.5 11.7 (73)
Seaford 1.1 1.1 2.2 4.2 (26)

GOALS:
Geelong: Burchell 2 Trevean Boyd Janssen Teague Allen Blakeway Mithen Habib Darby
Seaford: Arthur 2 Cox Rutter

BEST:
Geelong: Blakeway Burchell Teague Mithen Woollett Trevean
Seaford: Rogan Cox Eberle Goodwin Karlson Macdonald

GOALS:
Geelong: Burchell 2 Trevean Boyd Janssen Teague Allen Blakeway Mithen Habib Darby

BEST:
Would still be on top of the ladder after that as well

GOALS:

BEST:
They should have been at the MCG tonight instead. Might have got the 4 points

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back