Opinion Geelong Cats Forward Line 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

"The latest trend in football is a mosquito fleet of small forwards, piling on the pressure and attacking the sticks from a multitude of directions.

As the Cats ran rampant on the Gold Coast on Saturday night, with the attack on the scoreboard coming from all angles, the beginnings of a multi-dimensional forward structure began to emerge."

read more:
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-06-04/the-monday-message-round-11

I am not convinced that the old idea of taller KPF's is dead. They just may need to be more than mark and kick forwards.

A couple of displays of defensive work here. Bews in defense and McCarthy's forward defensive pressure.
I have become weary watching the ball being easily cleared from our forward line in the last few years.
I love to see this sort of stuff from smalls like McCarthy.

Last edited:
I am not convinced that the old idea of taller KPF's is dead. They just may need to be more than mark and kick forwards.

The key forward isn't dead, but with quick footy, you need the mosquito fleet to be able to 1) effectively crumb the ball 2) get into zone position ASAP on the turnover. The quicker no 2. happens, the more likely you are to keep the ball locked in the F50.

The key forward isn't dead, but with quick footy, you need the mosquito fleet to be able to 1) effectively crumb the ball 2) get into zone position ASAP on the turnover. The quicker no 2. happens, the more likely you are to keep the ball locked in the F50.

Yep, pretty much how I see it. Although we have not had a capable crumber since the demise of Paul Chapman.

A couple of displays of defensive work here. Bews in defense and McCarthy's forward defensive pressure.
I have become weary watching the ball being easily cleared from our forward line in the last few years.
I love to see this sort of stuff from smalls like McCarthy.

The defensive pressure is great and all but I'm still here more for Dangers incredible pickup and underground handball.

Once we get Scott Selwood and Cockatoo back hopefully Danger can play up forward 80% of the time. With Sav going down we don't really have another option at CHF. We could role with

Mccarthy Dangerfield Fogarty
Crameri Hawkins Menzel

Ideally, Crameri gets a few more chances this year to build up his tank. He's been good in the first half of games but tends to fade. Otherwise we can go smaller in his position and put Parfitt there and rotate Ablett as well.

Once we get Scott Selwood and Cockatoo back hopefully Danger can play up forward 80% of the time. With Sav going down we don't really have another option at CHF. We could role with

Mccarthy Dangerfield Fogarty
Crameri Hawkins Menzel

Ideally, Crameri gets a few more chances this year to build up his tank. He's been good in the first half of games but tends to fade. Otherwise we can go smaller in his position and put Parfitt there and rotate Ablett as well.
Prefer Danger as a mid, we are much better with him in the guts, replace danger with Parfitt, Hawkins Crameri Menzel as the biggish targets and the rest as smalls. Mind you we also need a 2nd ruck to rest forward, that makes it confusing too. Maybe replace Crameri with dare I say it, Stanley.

The defensive pressure is great and all but I'm still here more for Dangers incredible pickup and underground handball.

Yep, but I have had a bit of a thing for Linc that is verging on gay.;)

Prefer Danger as a mid, we are much better with him in the guts, replace danger with Parfitt, Hawkins Crameri Menzel as the biggish targets and the rest as smalls. Mind you we also need a 2nd ruck to rest forward, that makes it confusing too. Maybe replace Crameri with dare I say it, Stanley.
I wouldn't be opposed to playing Stanley there all game and only having him ruck I50. They should trial that for a few games see how he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need a minimum of 2 talls one to support the other or you may as well go in with 6 smalls and just see how you go?
Seems to me our talls, mediums and mids score our goals, not so much our small forwards.
Maybe Linc may hopefully turn that around but Hawkins, Menegola and Dangerfield seem to be the ones scoring not so much smalls.
Personally l think 2 talls a medium and 3 smalls is plenty. That's 4 sub talls.
3 smalls should be able to get their job done, bring pressure on defences and kick their share of goals.
So far this actually hasn't happened and kudos should go to TH and the medium mids for our wins so far this year by kicking the goals.

There is still room for 2 tall timbers. Just need to look at West coast. Ideally should be Hawkins and sav then make up the forward line with Menz, Linc, Fog and Parfitt. Now we should give Buzza a go. He was serviceable last year in those games he played.

On the KRock Podcast, they were discussing about Henderson return, while Henry, Blitz Kolo are all playing super in Defence, would you try Henderson at CHF??? I actually would give it a crack.. Did play there bit for Carlton.

You need a minimum of 2 talls one to support the other or you may as well go in with 6 smalls and just see how you go?
Seems to me our talls, mediums and mids score our goals, not so much our small forwards.
Maybe Linc may hopefully turn that around but Hawkins, Menegola and Dangerfield seem to be the ones scoring not so much smalls.
Personally l think 2 talls a medium and 3 smalls is plenty. That's 4 sub talls.
3 smalls should be able to get their job done, bring pressure on defences and kick their share of goals.
So far this actually hasn't happened and kudos should go to TH and the medium mids for our wins so far this year by kicking the goals.

Tell that to the reigning premiers and premiership favourites. 1 KF. There goes your minimum rule

On the KRock Podcast, they were discussing about Henderson return, while Henry, Blitz Kolo are all playing super in Defence, would you try Henderson at CHF??? I actually would give it a crack.. Did play there bit for Carlton.

I am so for this. I actually think when he played forward at Carlton he looked pretty good. The only time we have seen it tried for Geelong he was injured. Surely it can't hurt to try considering how well our defence is combining at the moment.

Tell that to the reigning premiers and premiership favourites. 1 KF. There goes your minimum

Last week they played Jack Reiwoldt, Callum Moore along with mediums Jacob Townsend and Josh Caddy.
Two keys and two big bodied medium/talls,
so there goes your small theory, it's a myth.

No to Hendo fwd but he and Taylor change what we can do with our forward line.

Depending on who is no.1 ruck, with the extra height down back with Hendo & H means Blitz can back up ruck. That means we don't need a fwd/ruck. Assuming Sav doesn't get back, that means that Buzza or Stanley don't need to play forward.

Could then have a forward line consisting of Hawk, Menz, Cocky, Linc and add in Danger/ Menagola/Crameri for extra marking or Fog/Parf/TK/JJ/Gregson for forward pressure and crumbing. Provides mobilty and pressure but some real solid marking power up front.

Need to make sure we don't go too tall all over the ground. Some good players may need to miss due to team balance.

I am so for this. I actually think when he played forward at Carlton he looked pretty good. The only time we have seen it tried for Geelong he was injured. Surely it can't hurt to try considering how well our defence is combining at the moment.
Oh i agree... He can play good as a CHF, As Blitz and Kolo can hold the main position in defence i think its worth it. And if we are some how them 2 are getting beat in defence chuck him dow there. But iv got a lot of faith our defence can beat any team comes to them ( well i hope so ).
So its worth putting him at CHF as he is a proven CHF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back