Opinion Geelong Cats Forward Line for Season 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I saw this article and thought that it would be a good launching pad for discussion on the makeup of Geelong's forward line in 2019.
I consider that our forward line has been a major weakness for some time now (along with the ruck division), and I have felt that too much has been expected of one player, i.e. Tom Hawkins. It will be interesting to see how the new recruits & 2nd & 3rd year draftees (and injury hindered Nakia Cockatoo) perform as they try and force their way into the AFL team.

Who has the best forwards? We rank every club
Nat Edwards, Travis King, Michael Whiting, Riley Beveridge and Mitch Cleary

11. GEELONG

It's hard to believe a team that averaged the fourth-most points in 2018 can slip this low. However, just three goals in three quarters in an elimination final loss to Melbourne exposed the lack of avenues to goal when their backs were against the wall. For the Cats to play finals, they'll need another 60-goal season out of Tom Hawkins who will be partnered by Esava Ratugolea who has eight games to his name. Adding Luke Dahlhaus and Gary Rohan will add spark and while Gary Ablett is tipped to play more in attack, the Cats will be pushing the likes of Nakia Cockatoo, Lachie Fogarty, James Parsons and Jamaine Jones to apply pressure for spots.

B: Jed Bews, Mark Blicavs, Jack Henry
HB: Zach Tuohy, Lachie Henderson, Tom Stewart
C: Brandan Parfitt, Joel Selwood, Mitch Duncan
HF: Sam Menegola, Esava Ratugolea, Luke Dahlhaus
F: Gary Rohan, Tom Hawkins, Gary Ablett
Foll:
Rhys Stanley, Patrick Dangerfield, Tim Kelly
I/C: Jake Kolodjashnij, Scott Selwood, Quinton Narkle, Cameron Guthrie

Defender depth: Harry Taylor, Zach Guthrie, Mark O'Connor, Jordan Clark, Stefan Okunbor

Forward depth: Nakia Cockatoo, Wylie Buzza, Lachie Fogarty, Nathan Kreuger, Gryan Miers, James Parsons, Jamaine Jones, Ben Jarvis, Jake Tarca, Blake Schlensog

Midfield depth: Charlie Constable, Jordan Cunico, Tom Atkins, Oscar Brownless, Jacob Kennerley, Sam Simpson

Ruck depth: Zac Smith, Ryan Abbott, Darcy Fort

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-05/who-has-the-best-forwards-we-rank-every-club

I saw this article and thought that it would be a good launching pad for discussion on the makeup of Geelong's forward line in 2019.
I consider that our forward line has been a major weakness for some time now (along with the ruck division), and I have felt that too much has been expected of one player, i.e. Tom Hawkins. It will be interesting to see how the new recruits & 2nd & 3rd year draftees (and injury hindered Nakia Cockatoo) perform as they try and force their way into the AFL team.

Who has the best forwards? We rank every club
Nat Edwards, Travis King, Michael Whiting, Riley Beveridge and Mitch Cleary

11. GEELONG

It's hard to believe a team that averaged the fourth-most points in 2018 can slip this low. However, just three goals in three quarters in an elimination final loss to Melbourne exposed the lack of avenues to goal when their backs were against the wall. For the Cats to play finals, they'll need another 60-goal season out of Tom Hawkins who will be partnered by Esava Ratugolea who has eight games to his name. Adding Luke Dahlhaus and Gary Rohan will add spark and while Gary Ablett is tipped to play more in attack, the Cats will be pushing the likes of Nakia Cockatoo, Lachie Fogarty, James Parsons and Jamaine Jones to apply pressure for spots.

B: Jed Bews, Mark Blicavs, Jack Henry
HB: Zach Tuohy, Lachie Henderson, Tom Stewart
C: Brandan Parfitt, Joel Selwood, Mitch Duncan
HF: Sam Menegola, Esava Ratugolea, Luke Dahlhaus
F: Gary Rohan, Tom Hawkins, Gary Ablett
Foll:
Rhys Stanley, Patrick Dangerfield, Tim Kelly
I/C: Jake Kolodjashnij, Scott Selwood, Quinton Narkle, Cameron Guthrie

Defender depth: Harry Taylor, Zach Guthrie, Mark O'Connor, Jordan Clark, Stefan Okunbor

Forward depth: Nakia Cockatoo, Wylie Buzza, Lachie Fogarty, Nathan Kreuger, Gryan Miers, James Parsons, Jamaine Jones, Ben Jarvis, Jake Tarca, Blake Schlensog

Midfield depth: Charlie Constable, Jordan Cunico, Tom Atkins, Oscar Brownless, Jacob Kennerley, Sam Simpson

Ruck depth: Zac Smith, Ryan Abbott, Darcy Fort

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-01-05/who-has-the-best-forwards-we-rank-every-club

Another ...how to boil eggs article ... after rating us down for D , now down for A . I could only assume the guys think that all the area are independent of each other ...

Its less about the individual talent and more about the "process" ... ..although I do think our smalls have been an issue for some time and the 4 smalls listed do not fill my cup with a chilled glass of amber confidence. Menegola , Dahl , GA and Rohan do not look threatening as small forwards and I could understand while non Geelong people would look at that and say Mehhh

I think we have the talent but the goals drying up under pressure was due more to the game plan rather than anything else. If we’d moved it quicker and bombed it in less we’d have created more chaos opportunities

I have thought this for some time but became convinced when the Swans ran over the top of us in the last 1/4 on our own deck last season. The Swans defenders did not look for a leading player and then kick to them. What they did in that 1/4 was play on immediately, and that created movement further up the ground that freed up players. On the other hand Geelong were static and as a result could not find space.

Another ...how to boil eggs article ... after rating us down for D , now down for A . I could only assume the guys think that all the area are independent of each other ...

Its less about the individual talent and more about the "process" ... ..although I do think our smalls have been an issue for some time and the 4 smalls listed do not fill my cup with a chilled glass of amber confidence. Menegola , Dahl , GA and Rohan do not look threatening as small forwards and I could understand while non Geelong people would look at that and say Mehhh
Add an under 10 gamer at CHF and in one word,vanilla.

On the other hand Geelong were static and as a result could not find space.
This was definitely the concern with ball movement last season but the Cats weren't drawing opponents when they had the ball to free up space for their team mates either and when they did, their sloppy disposal usually killed any advantage that they gained from it.

Firstly, who puts cockatoo as depth. He is our most defensive fwd.
Personally I keep danger and menegola in the middle and put Kelly forward.
Kelly Hawkins Cockatoo
Ablett Ratagolea Dahlhaus

Rohan on a wing to play attacking wing

I believe this is our most potent forward line, with Duncan, Rohan, Tuohy, Parfitt, Narkle and Clark delivering the ball in with accuracy

Kelly Hawkins Cockatoo

I believe this is our most potent forward line, with Duncan, Rohan, Tuohy, Parfitt, Narkle and Clark delivering the ball in with accuracy

I'm a huge Cocky fan, but until he demonstrates the ability to stay out of the rehab room, he's just that - depth.

I'm a huge Cocky fan, but until he demonstrates the ability to stay out of the rehab room, he's just that - depth.
If we are being honest with ourselves he's cooked. He will be lucky to play 10 games this year. Delisted at the end of next.

11th is pretty generous, id say its pretty close to the worst

its Hawkins or bust

Sav looks alright but young talls need a lot of work and he has a long way to go

no genuine 3rd tall or any proven small goal kickers

just no continuity basically Hawkins and ex midfielders or future mids

need some fulltime forwards for the future hopefully Kreuger can be the 3rd tall option and someone like Miers can be a genuine goal kicking small

opposition defenders will love it when the ball hits the deck

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly Hawkins Cockatoo

Not bad old boy....not bad.
Except Cockatoo wont play....the kid hasnt had a full season since he was 16... Hes a lemon
We think a lot alike re structures though

Sure, but if that is the argument he isn't depth at all. You cannot be depth if unable to play. If he can be considered as depth then he is in fact our most defensive forward

Agreed. He’s not depth. Pinch hitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't worry guys... we have Tarca. Gonna be a jet in his first season.

But all seriousness, that Forward line lifts a bit if Cockatoo is 100% fit.

I'm a quiet believer on Tarca. Holding out for a nice pre-season puff piece that talks about how he'll bring the missing element to our forward line.

If Cockatoo's depth I'm Prime Minister, **** some people are full of s**t these days.

Check your emails, you might have been made Prime Minister. Pretty sure they're going to get around to everyone before they're done.

Iv said it towards the end of last year and the reports from training this year. We need to play Ablett 80% in the forward line this year, so we can bring in and bleed the young Midfielders eg Fogarty, Parfitt, Constable. Id be happy if Ablett as a small forward av 2 goals a game. And look it may save his body a bit and we may get another year out of him on bugger all pay...

A lot of these ideas are good although it's really going to depend on how the 6-6-6 can change forward line setups if at all then the strategy can really progress I believe early it's going to be a balance between innovation setups and traditional structure.

Will this create more one on one contests enough for sides to be more aggressive with contest winners in the forward half.

Across the trial matches the scoring went up 15% and tackling went down 14% be careful sample size no idea what baseline they used for expected scoring.

A possible benefit without 1-2 players coming off the back of the square was it gave midfielders more time a few seconds. I wish they would release the footage for the fans. Drops congestion

The goal square doubling in size from 9m to 18m should give the kick out defender many more options.

So to me it looks like a power running game your flankers will defend higher up the ground to create the congestion that used to be deeper inside your forward 50m. Your wings and onballers probably switch to create the loose man in defence. Then it's also much easier to set up normally in formation if scored against and less dependent on what the opposition does because they are still traditional matchups 1 on1 coverage.

So with that in mind versatility and ability to win 1 on 1 contests I believe will trump forward pressure this season your flankers and small forwards will spend a lot of time zoning and pushing up the ground. I expect to see a lot of setups Hawkins in the square then 5 guys with toes on the forward 50 arc.

HF. Dalhaus Esava Menegola
F. Ablett Hawkins Narkle

Mids who go forward
Dangerfield, Parfitt, Kelly, J.Selwood, Fort

Swingman
Henry, 2e, Taylor

Depth

Fogarty, Cockatoo, Jones, Rohan

Miers, Tarca,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back