AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decision delayed:

- THE AFL Commission has delayed its final decision on which clubs are given new licences for the 2019 NAB AFL Women’s competition until after its September meeting.

- After meeting on Tuesday to consider how the AFLW league would expand in 2019, the Commission requested more information from the AFL executive before making a final decision.

- "The 2019 expansion decision is a big investment in the future of the AFLW, and making the right decision for the clubs and the competition is an extremely important one for the growth of the women’s game – both at the elite and community level."

- An AFL sub-committee has been considering submissions from the eight hopeful clubs for the past four weeks, with the possibility the competition will expand by more than two clubs.

- The sub-committee has considered the requirement to develop talent below the elite level.

- "Given the importance of the decision the Commission has directed the AFL executive to come back to the September meeting with additional information before they make a final decision for 2019," the AFL said in a statement on Tuesday evening.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-29/decision-over-aflw-expansion-delayed

Decision delayed:

- THE AFL Commission has delayed its final decision on which clubs are given new licences for the 2019 NAB AFL Women’s competition until after its September meeting.

- After meeting on Tuesday to consider how the AFLW league would expand in 2019, the Commission requested more information from the AFL executive before making a final decision.

- "The 2019 expansion decision is a big investment in the future of the AFLW, and making the right decision for the clubs and the competition is an extremely important one for the growth of the women’s game – both at the elite and community level."

- An AFL sub-committee has been considering submissions from the eight hopeful clubs for the past four weeks, with the possibility the competition will expand by more than two clubs.

- The sub-committee has considered the requirement to develop talent below the elite level.

- "Given the importance of the decision the Commission has directed the AFL executive to come back to the September meeting with additional information before they make a final decision for 2019," the AFL said in a statement on Tuesday evening.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-29/decision-over-aflw-expansion-delayed
"We want to bring in Essendon and Richmond but they haven't got provisional licences, how can we spin it to make it look like they had superior bids to those that already hold a provisional license."

I feel that we have ticked this requirement: - The sub-committee has considered the requirement to develop talent below the elite level.

The fact that we have already had one player rookie listed who we have a shot to shows we are doing something right.

"We want to bring in Essendon and Richmond but they haven't got provisional licences, how can we spin it to make it look like they had superior bids to those that already hold a provisional license."

Are they hoping for an Essendon vs Richmond gf in the AFL so there can use the "success" of the mens teams to justify the selection of womens teams?

Sorry, but Richmond do actually have an AFLW provisional license. Essendon, however, do not.

Screenshot_20170830-024627.jpg

Just on this, I was surprised your mob actually missed out on getting an AFLW license in the first place. You must surely get one for 2019.

I think it was Whately who said he it the impression the commission want to expand by more teams that perhaps suggested.

This has better not allow any of our vfl girls to get poached to other clubs as this further delay gives them no clarity about us getting a aflw license

Go Catters

Word on SEN this morning is Geelong will get a license as one of three teams included in the AFLW comp in 2018.

Waiting nervously.

Good news still. But 3 :drunk:

Did they set out to choose the dumbest possible number?

Dumbest number would be 11 when there's only 18 AFL teams and 8 are already aligned with AFLW teams. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dumbest number would be 11 when there's only 18 AFL teams and 8 are already aligned with AFLW teams. ;)
If we start adding non-live options then the dumbest number is infinity billion.

Last edited:
Did they set out to choose the dumbest possible number?
That's what I heard but it was only commentary, not fact. At the time I just thought they maybe want to give a side a bye each week to allow for the women to get a rest. The comp did struggle with injury IIRC.

But until we hear the official announcement take nothing as gospel.

Decision wont be made now until next months meeting
And this is precisely my concern...

WE have developed talent that want to play AFLW - but we cant guarantee a team yet.
Thus, other c;ubs with existing license in hand recruit our talent and we left holding our **** until they get their s**t together.

Clowns

GO Catters

WE have developed talent that want to play AFLW - but we cant guarantee a team yet.
Thus, other c;ubs with existing license in hand recruit our talent and we left holding our **** until they get their s**t together.

Clowns

GO Catters
In good news for the decision

Clowns

GO Catters

One of the biggest reasons we are very very keen on getting a women's team is because that's where all the sponsorship money at VFL level is heading....

Was told by my connection at the club that without a women's team we have had issues getting sponsorship for our VFL club. Apparently the new craze for commercial sponsorship at reserve level is all around having a women's team now.

Geelong was snubbed from a few quality sponsors who said they wanted Geelong to have a women's team before they did a dual sponsorship of both the VFL side and the women's side.

It's caused marketing and financial issues for the VFL side.

Is one of the main reasons they are really pushing for it

Lily Mithen on fire in the first quarter for the Vic's
Hope we are able to get her for our AFL side, she would make a great first Captain for the side.

I thought I heard them say on TV she plays for the Melbourne AFLW team.

She does. there's a few players running around for the Geelong VFLW side who are already listed by AFLW clubs.
From the little I've seen though, even if we weren't able to somehow secure Mithen, injured gun Jordan Ivey (I think she plays for Melbourne too) and a few others, we'd still have a pretty competitive team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back