AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GEELONG Football Club has formally applied for a licence into the new AFL women’s league, citing elite facilities, ability to deliver and booming growth in a high-powered pitch to league bosses.

The Cats are confident they have mounted a compelling case, promising to “make it a success” after attracting the crucial backing of sponsors and political heavyweights.

AFL clubs had until yesterday to apply to join the trailblazing competition, which is set to start next February and is expected to feature eight teams, though the total number will be determined by the strength of the applications....

The Cats are one of about a dozen clubs fighting for selection. Eight teams is the favoured model, but the total number will be determined by the strength of applications.

Geelong’s 50-page submission also included a video, to be aired on TV tonight during the AFL match broadcast, featuring endorsements from a range of people including coach Chris Scott, superstar recruit Patrick Dangerfield, local footballers and The Footy Show co-host Rebecca Maddern. “Our view a little bit is if you really want young girls to aspire to play, maybe having more than eight teams wouldn’t be the worst thing — the standard will improve (over time),” Cook said.

From today's paper - http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...k/news-story/1bd42094417227f8d0a2c9a0d3e95b62

Just skimming through this thread for the first time. Sides were splitting!

I mean 'Pussies', 'Handbags'; that's killer! And the suggestions that we should poach random male AFL players we deem weak and timid to play in the women's team; comedy gold!

Not that the joke needs explaining, but being timid and generally lacking in courage is something we all rightfully associate with women.

Maybe we could pepper the thread with a few 'princess' and 'kicks like a girl' calls. I mean, something else to really hammer the point home. Plus, they're time honored classics.

Anyway, women/girls get it's all a joke. ...We all get it's just a joke. Hell, even my 5 year old daughter is starting to get the joke that her gender is really just a synonym for frailty and weakness. Fantastic!

I mean 'Pussies', 'Handbags'; that's killer! And the suggestions that we should poach random male AFL players we deem weak and timid to play in the women's team; comedy gold!

Not that the joke needs explaining, but being timid and generally lacking in courage is something we all rightfully associate with women.

Maybe we could pepper the thread with a few 'princess' and 'kicks like a girl' calls. I mean, something else to really hammer the point home. Plus, they're time honored classics.

Anyway, women/girls get it's all a joke. ...We all get it's just a joke. Hell, even my 5 year old daughter is starting to get the joke that her gender is really just a synonym for frailty and weakness. Fantastic!
Well said.

Colin Carter's big announcement tonight was that there is a new director for the club, didn't have anything to do with the women's side apparently.

Last edited:

Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap

Anyway, women/girls get it's all a joke. ...We all get it's just a joke. Hell, even my 5 year old daughter is starting to get the joke that her gender is really just a synonym for frailty and weakness. Fantastic![/QUOTI
I made the Heppall joke and if it upset you or anybody else i am truely sorry .

I made the Heppall joke and if it upset you or anybody else i am truely sorry .
All good mate. Seriously.

This stuff is so ingrained that people (good people) say it without a second thought. I'm guessing comments, like those I mentioned, are rarely intended to hurt. ...And some people use that as a defense; 'It's just a joke, I didn't mean anything by it'. And to a certain extent that's fair enough. 'Intent' has to count for something.

But here's the thing: I have seen with my own two eyes the confidence and self esteem visibly drain out of my 5-year-old daughter's friends, when hearing this stuff. Because it's EVERYWHERE.

When you hear it from adults, other kids, the media... etc, it morphs from a joke to reality. They start to really believe that they ARE weak and inferior.

At the moment my daughter is a smart confident little kid that's ready to take on the world. That's largely because, up to this point, we have been her major influence. But now she's at school, she's beginning a sleigh-ride where she'll be exposed to all manner of bull$h!t. And the thought that it'll be routinely reinforced to her that there are limits on what she can do because she's 'just a girl', breaks my heart. Actually no, it makes me f4cking angry.

I'll post this because, a) this convinced my Dad of the above (no mean feat!), and b) because these things are usually irritating, but it makes the point pretty well.

Don't know why we are going to spend money on this. It will sink like a lead balloon. No one will go or watch beyond the first week.

The theory is that it will draw in extra sponsors for clubs, which will outweigh the costs - especially if the AFL provides the seed money to get the comp going.
It may be correct, bearing in mind that most corporate decisions to sponsor clubs are not based on strictly commercial grounds.

This stuff is so ingrained that people (good people) say it without a second thought. I'm guessing comments, like those I mentioned, are rarely intended to hurt. ...And some people use that as a defense; 'It's just a joke, I didn't mean anything by it'. And to a certain extent that's fair enough. 'Intent' has to count for something.

But here's the thing: I have seen with my own two eyes the confidence and self esteem visibly drain out of my 5-year-old daughter's friends, when hearing this stuff. Because it's EVERYWHERE.

When you hear it from adults, other kids, the media... etc, it morphs from a joke to reality. They start to really believe that they ARE weak and inferior.

At the moment my daughter is a smart confident little kid that's ready to take on the world. That's largely because, up to this point, we have been her major influence. But now she's at school, she's beginning a sleigh-ride where she'll be exposed to all manner of bull$h!t. And the thought that it'll be routinely reinforced to her that there are limits on what she can do because she's 'just a girl', breaks my heart. Actually no, it makes me f4cking angry.

I'll post this because, a) this convinced my Dad of the above (no mean feat!), and b) because these things are usually irritating, but it makes the point pretty well.

Mate, your daughter is just going to have to work through it.
My daughter is in the school leadership group. And they just organised a day focussing on gender equality.

They had a BBQ and made all the boys pay 20% more :).
That's probably not fair either, but it was about getting the message across.

My daughter fights through disadvantages all the time. It's not all about gender.
I try to just educate her that she has advantages too, and she should play to her strengths.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know why we are going to spend money on this. It will sink like a lead balloon. No one will go or watch beyond the first week.
The only way it will sink is if the teams get players from the wrong geographical area.

There won't be the cash to convince a woman in Perth (for example) to move her family all the way to Geelong.
In fact I can't see how Geelong could pick a player that lives any further away than Essendon or so.

Then it comes down to rivalries and how equal the teams are.
I think if they get that right, keep it to 8 teams for a while, it will work.

The only way it will sink is if the teams get players from the wrong geographical area.

There won't be the cash to convince a woman in Perth (for example) to move her family all the way to Geelong.
In fact I can't see how Geelong could pick a player that lives any further away than Essendon or so.

We will see. Highly doubt it though. People will go its great idea but then wont watch or go.

It is possible that is already going to happen with a team based in Sydney getting players from Tasmania to fill out the bulk of their side.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...he-womens-football-front-20160503-gold6p.html

The opening line of the article;

The AFL looks set to send the cream of Tasmanian women's talent to Greater Western Sydney in another affront to the traditional football state.

Mate, your daughter is just going to have to work through it.
My daughter is in the school leadership group. And they just organised a day focussing on gender equality.

They had a BBQ and made all the boys pay 20% more :).
That's probably not fair either, but it was about getting the message across.

My daughter fights through disadvantages all the time. It's not all about gender.
I try to just educate her that she has advantages too, and she should play to her strengths.
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Of course she'll have to work through it. What choice does she, or any girl, have?

The point is the 'thing' they have to work through. It's a cultural cancer that needs to recognised as everyone's responsibility to correct. This idea that it's just the 'way of the world', and girls/women should just grin and bear it, is a total cop out.

So even if you're not the purveyor of the kind of talk or behaviour that I've mentioned in previous posts, it's still incumbent on you to take a stand on what is and isn't acceptable. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Again, it's everywhere, and it spans from the overt to the subtle, and everything in between. By the time a girl reaches their late teens, they are no doubt as to where they sit in the pecking order. And if there is any doubt, once they enter the work force, it's well and truly made clear. The stats in this area are undeniable and shameful.

So while I agree, it's the parent's job to instill in girls a sense or worth and capability, that job becomes exponentially harder as the culture around them is focused on dismantling the one weapon they have to combat it; their self esteem. Therein lies the problem.

I hear you , but surely one has to be educated on your values and the flaw of others thinking.The world is full of ninnies , with weird and wonderful mindsets , and some talk which is not acceptable and not be encouraged. As far as off the cuff remarks... Id say "don't play like a girl" is naughty on the PC meter these days ...yet "have a boys look" type stuff is just as stereotypical. Id like to see someone try that put down stuff with my daughters.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. Of course she'll have to work through it. What choice does she, or any girl, have?

The point is the 'thing' they have to work through. It's a cultural cancer that needs to recognised as everyone's responsibility to correct. This idea that it's just the 'way of the world', and girls/women should just grin and bear it, is a total cop out.

So even if you're not the purveyor of the kind of talk or behaviour that I've mentioned in previous posts, it's still incumbent on you to take a stand on what is and isn't acceptable. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.

Again, it's everywhere, and it spans from the overt to the subtle, and everything in between. By the time a girl reaches their late teens, they are no doubt as to where they sit in the pecking order. And if there is any doubt, once they enter the work force, it's well and truly made clear. The stats in this area are undeniable and shameful.

So while I agree, it's the parent's job to instill in girls a sense or worth and capability, that job becomes exponentially harder as the culture around them is focused on dismantling the one weapon they have to combat it; their self esteem. Therein lies the problem.

I'll let VC talk for himself , but I doubt he was advocating a pure "grin and tolerate 100% of the time".. I just cant agree with your basic concept. Where they sit in the world? We don't live in Saudi Arabia. Name calling / bullying for example is not exclusive to one sex and neg comments do not only affect one sex. It something we all have to learn to harden to , its life. Sometimes react, sometimes water of a ducks back...

Last edited:
Maybe there's more to it than money.

Seriously, though, if the soccer can pull off a W-League, we can do it too. Wikipedia says that last year Brisbane continually pulled in just over 1,000 per game, and 4,000 people came to the Grand Final. That's probably a win if we can do that too.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_W-League

Take this crap to the SRP board please I'm not interested in turning the Geelong board into cluster * of social or political debate it always turns toxic.

This thread is about Geelong hopefully getting a women's team.

I let VC talk for himself , but I doubt he was advocating a pure "grin and tolerate 100% of the time.. I just cant agree with your basic concept. Where they sit in the world? We don't live in Saudi Arabia. Name calling / bullying for example is not exclusive to one sex and neg comments do not only affect one sex. It something we all have to learn to harden to , its life. Sometimes react, sometimes water of a ducks back...
There's tons of stuff mate.
You could find society problems everywhere if you tried.

It's not about ignoring them. It's about learning where to side step when you need to.
And I've been to Saudi Arabia, and I took the Mrs and had to take her as my secretary.
I could fill a page on that two day trip, but I won't.

Would she ever agree to that trip again?
No effing way.

Maybe there's more to it than money.

Seriously, though, if the soccer can pull off a W-League, we can do it too. Wikipedia says that last year Brisbane continually pulled in just over 1,000 per game, and 4,000 people came to the Grand Final. That's probably a win if we can do that too.

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015–16_W-League
not sure it can be cost effective at only 1000 people a game. Grounds cost money to open and players have to travel interstate every second week. Sponsors will be there at the start but they won't stay if no one goes. If it doesnt lose money it's a fine thing to do. But don't see how it won't.

not sure it can be cost effective at only 1000 people a game. Grounds cost money to open and players have to travel interstate every second week. Sponsors will be there at the start but they won't stay if no one goes. If it doesnt lose money it's a fine thing to do. But don't see how it won't.
They will play them before afl games.
Unless they are really, really dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back