AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But clearly in this case they're not doing equal work. If they were elite sportswomen who were devoting their lives to the club 24/7, sure. But I think it's fairly obvious here it's not the case, partially due to the time commitment, and partially due to the fact that elite sportswomen tend to go to Athletics, netball, basketball or hockey.

Why do you have such a bee in your bonnet about this?
If I have a bee in my bonnet about it which side of the argument am I on? I'm not even sure myself.

If I have a bee in my bonnet about it which side of the argument am I on? I'm not even sure myself.
You're trying to pick somewhat obtuse arguments about why this won't work and how this won't work when clearly other codes have managed to have a successful women's league for years and are trying to twist someone else's argument about wage gap into amateur-level women commanding the same match payments as elite sports stars. It's just the club starting a women's team, that's all.

You're trying to pick somewhat obtuse arguments about why this won't work and how this won't work when clearly other codes have managed to have a successful women's league for years and are trying to twist someone else's argument about wage gap into amateur-level women commanding the same match payments as elite sports stars. It's just the club starting a women's team, that's all.
That was in previous posts. Has nothing to do with my latest posts.

Why is that?

13 teams have applied for licences,

BIDDING CLUBS: Adelaide, Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, Geelong, Greater Western Sydney, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda, West Coast, Western Bulldogs.

Two will go to Bulldogs and Melbourne since they spearheaded the concept, there will be at least one team in WA,SA, NSW and QLD.

The remaining Victorian teams are Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong, North Melbourne, Richmond, St Kilda

If there are 8 teams there are two spots left and if there are 10 teams there are four spots left for six teams
For commercial reasons Collingwood will probably get one of them. Don't have a clue who'd get the 8th spot out of the remaining 5 teams but I don't like those odds.

If there are 10 teams only two Victorian teams miss out and I think we'd get selected to promote geographical diversity

Some speculation that a 10 team comp could mean- 5 x Vic, 2 x Perth, and 1 each for Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.

- Eliza Sewell wrote this last month:

Melbourne, Western Bulldogs and Collingwood are considered front runners to land licences. Richmond, North Melbourne, St Kilda, Carlton and Geelong could vie for the fourth and even fifth licences if the league is expanded from a planned eight teams to 10.

Perth could have two teams considering the talent that hails from the west and the others would be based in Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/be7f01b6faf804d8b2492cfc4d81a74f

North are more likely than people think as they are considering a North/Tassie concept.

I don't buy the concept that the AFL needs Collingwood. It's a good opportunity to build a new supporter base for smaller drawing clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't Collingwood already have a team in the revamped netball league? Would think they'd be stretching themselves a bit thin having a women's football team as well.

I think that Collingwood is hoping for a team in each competition as a means of diversifying and growing their supporter base.

Plus there also the option for them that any kid who grew up supporting Collingwood could one day play their chosen sport for them.

I think that Collingwood is hoping for a team in each competition as a means of diversifying and growing their supporter base.

Plus there also the option for them that any kid who grew up supporting Collingwood could one day play their chosen sport for them.

I would think that any effect on overall membership or supporter basis is likely to be minimal.
There have been several articles suggesting that, from the clubs' point of view the main driver is the extension of sponsorship options.

Don't Collingwood already have a team in the revamped netball league? Would think they'd be stretching themselves a bit thin having a women's football team as well.

Im not sure which would be the best for a club to be involved in... the traditional sport for women or footy. One suspects Collingwood will do go hard at it... every sport with high level talent will be studied , and Id say all the other netball teams best keep a close watch on their talent..I doubt Eddie would be joining to come last in either sport.

Will either sport have a SCap?

Im not sure which would be the best for a club to be involved in... the traditional sport for women or footy. One suspects Collingwood will do go hard at it... every sport with high level talent will be studied , and Id say all the other netball teams best keep a close watch on their talent..I doubt Eddie would be joining to come last in either sport.

Will either sport have a SCap?

Netball has and will have a salary cap, and restrictions on international imports.

I never thought I'd really want a Geelong womens team, but I really want a Geelong womens team!

I'm genuinely hanging out for todays announcement.

Age reporting us and Richmond have missed out. Carlton and Collingwood have won the licenses...

The most unsurprising decision ever.
Didn't matter how good our bid was, decision was made before it even began after Blues and Pies sooked up publicly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back