AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Niall going with a 8 team comp, Bulldogs, Demons, Blues and Pies to be Victorian teams
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/car...g/news-story/0ac7b446f8bc17436a6fbf1efdaa20a4

The 2017 women’s league:

Carlton

Collingwood

Western Bulldogs

Melbourne

GWS

Brisbane

Fremantle

Adelaide

What I ask is Brisbane can't afford to fund the AFL side currently they have to get funding from the AFL to bring their Football department up to AFL standard. How are they going to be able to fully fund and give a women's side the support it is going to need over the coming 5-10 years?

Niall going with a 8 team comp, Bulldogs, Demons, Blues and Pies to be Victorian teams
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/car...g/news-story/0ac7b446f8bc17436a6fbf1efdaa20a4

The 2017 women’s league:

Carlton

Collingwood

Western Bulldogs

Melbourne

GWS

Brisbane

Fremantle

Adelaide

What I ask is Brisbane can't afford to fund the AFL side currently they have to get funding from the AFL to bring their Football department up to AFL standard. How are they going to be able to fully fund and give a women's side the support it is going to need over the coming 5-10 years?

The AFL is funding player payments and match day operations.
It's not clear how long this will last.
But it means, of course, Geelong is paying for Carlton/Collingwood to extend their sponsorship base.
The clubs, presumably, have to fund all the other costs.

Is there any explanation from the AFL about how these womens teams are funded? I assumed the AFL would be footing the bill but if the clubs are expected to pay up for coaches/staff then im massively surprised Brisbane have got the nod.

Honestly, if it meant the club having to financially support the team either in full or close to it, then i can see where Hawthorn are coming from in not pursuing a license. Maybe we are better off biding our time and seeing where things are in a few years.

Is there any explanation from the AFL about how these womens teams are funded? I assumed the AFL would be footing the bill but if the clubs are expected to pay up for coaches/staff then im massively surprised Brisbane have got the nod.

Honestly, if it meant the club having to financially support the team either in full or close to it, then i can see where Hawthorn are coming from in not pursuing a license. Maybe we are better off biding our time and seeing where things are in a few years.
In the Geelong bid Cook said the club was willing and was able to carry a loss from the women's side for 5 years

In the Geelong bid Cook said the club was willing and was able to carry a loss from the women's side for 5 years

Not exactly the most optimistic outlook from Cook there. Given we just got done raising money from Costa & Co im surprised we are "willing and able" to go into any venture knowing it might mean medium to long term loses. Particularly for something that might very well be dead on arrival.

So...now that there's no Geelong women's team, do I just watch in a totally detached fashion? Or am I supposed to support the women's team of one I our rival clubs?

Right now I feel like I couldn't give a damn.

Not exactly the most optimistic outlook from Cook there. Given we just got done raising money from Costa & Co im surprised we are "willing and able" to go into any venture knowing it might mean medium to long term loses. Particularly for something that might very well be dead on arrival.
Don't think anyone realistically expects the league to make money for the first few years do they? Will take time for it to embed itself

So...now that there's no Geelong women's team, do I just watch in a totally detached fashion? Or am I supposed to support the women's team of one I our rival clubs?

Same here was excited about the league but now I couldn't really give a stuff about it.

Typical AFL putting perceived money over everything else.
Biggest region city in the country, huge AFL following and strong local competitions.
Overlooked for cash heavy clubs next door to each other...
Have to wonder how much of the decision was the "blockbuster" factor and how much of it was based on merit of the bid?

As a female footy fan, I have 0% interest in this new comp given there is no Geelong team.

They should have either given foundation clubs like us a team, or created a new league from scratch without affiliations to current AFL clubs.

From the fox article above:

Collingwood had been widely assumed to win a license given the sheer size and reach of their club and supporter base, while Carlton’s case was bolstered by equal opportunity commissioner Kate Jenkins, who recently joined the Blues’ board.

So, essentially the Pies get a licence cause they are a big club and the Blues get a licence cause of 1 board member. You wonder how much effort was required from those 2 clubs in their application or if they just sent in 1 piece of paper saying "give us a licence".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I live in Geelong, and pretty shattered there is no womens team for Geelong. There are plenty of women could of filled it, a lot better than the other clubs.

From the fox article above:

So, essentially the Pies get a licence cause they are a big club and the Blues get a licence cause of 1 board member. You wonder how much effort was required from those 2 clubs in their application or if they just sent in 1 piece of paper saying "give us a licence".

I give the competition 3 years then it will die in the ass never to be seen again, the AFL cant expect fans to go and watch in a neutral fashion week in and week out it just wont happen, the game is built on making money and they have really limited themselves by excluding other Victorian powerhouse clubs like us, i wasn't overly interested before but now im like everyone else and couldn't care less what happens.

Last edited:
Not that I was that interested in the first place, but aligning these women's teams to existing clubs just makes it impossible for me to even think about watching. You can't expect people who don't follow these chosen teams to get behind the likes of Collingwood, Carlton, Freo, GWS etc. Yuck.

Does anyone know how they are planning on working the scheduling of games, are they going to be curtain raisers to the mens game or will they be by themselves, the reason i ask is that if its a curtain raiser then for that to work they will have to manipulate the mens draw to coincide with when the woman play teams in the comp, could get messy. Cant see much interest if its a curtain raiser before a Richmond vs Geelong game etc, better off going back to the old VFL curtain raiser.

Yeah i echo these thoughts. I only had a minor interest in the idea/league anyway.. but no Geelong means no interest.

Can never bring myself to cheer for another club so will be interesting to see how it all works as I imagine the other supporters of the 10 clubs not involved feel the same

I give the competition 3 years then it will die in the ass never to be seen again, the AFL cant expect fans to go and watch in a neutral fashion week in and week out it just wont happen, the game is built on making money and they have really limited themselves by excluding other clubs, im like everyone else and couldn't care less now.

If they resist the call to expand it quickly and keep it small to start with it won't cost them a lot to actually run the competition. Around 200 to 250 players playing 7 home and away rounds and two weeks of finals over a nine week period (a total of 31 games). That probably going to start around at 2.5 million a year in player wages (1k per player per game). And about two to three times that in support costs (coaches, medical staff, stadium rentals, media costs, training facilities, insurance).

I'd guess that sponsors and media rights would bring in at least half to costs to start with. With the AFL subsidizing the rest.

As the profile of the game rises, so will the wages, media rights and sponsorship dollars.

It sucks that we miss out but if the AFL do this properly we shouldn't see another team join for quite a while

If they resist the call to expand it quickly and keep it small to start with it won't cost them a lot to actually run the competition. Around 200 to 250 players playing 7 home and away rounds and two weeks of finals over a nine week period (a total of 31 games). That probably going to start around at 2.5 million a year in player wages (1k per player per game). And about two to three times that in support costs (coaches, medical staff, stadium rentals, media costs, training facilities, insurance).

I'd guess that sponsors and media rights would bring in at least half to costs to start with. With the AFL subsidizing the rest.

As the profile of the game rises, so will the wages, media rights and sponsorship dollars.

It sucks that we miss out but if the AFL do this properly we shouldn't see another team join for quite a while

But who is paying all this, the AFL or the Club, clubs survive on memberships and game revenue, if the clubs have to foot a 1 million dollar bill every season without much profit its going to put huge financial pressure on the club, remember they wont be getting 40k fans to each game, lucky to get 2-5k much like GWS when they first entered the AFL and were averaging about 4k for home games. Can you see all club members forking out for a womans membership to start with, I cant, maybe in a couple of years they will. If this league is successful then its going to become a lot more expensive for club members as they will want to align both the men and the woman so the memberships cover both sides which could have a negative impact.

Last edited:

I heard on MMM 5 times have been given provisional approval to enter in 2018 pending the player availability/talent pool being able to handle it...

They won't be doing it right, they will whack more teams in as soon as they can...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back