Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Geelong VFLW should be 3-0 after the next round (two weeks from now), but the real test comes in round 4 against Diamond Creek at Plenty Park.

The fixture for the Cats is in the first three games they play last year's bottom four sides (Box Hill is really a re-branded Knox with a few extras).

Diamond Creek are a different kettle of fish. Finished 5th, but missed half their side through injuries. Had played in the last four grand finals prior to that.

For those who missed it earlier today....

Geelong 4.2 6.3 8.5 11.7 (73)
Seaford 1.1 1.1 2.2 4.2 (26)

GOALS:
Geelong: Burchell 2 Trevean Boyd Janssen Teague Allen Blakeway Mithen Habib Darby
Seaford: Arthur 2 Cox Rutter

BEST:
Geelong: Blakeway Burchell Teague Mithen Woollett Trevean
Seaford: Rogan Cox Eberle Goodwin Karlson Macdonald

Disappointed that we conceded a goal this week.

But good on the team, I know they'll lose games along the line but gotta be impressed by the way they have started their inaugural season

Devastating news....

Geelong’s VFLW side will be without forward Jordan Ivey for the remainder of the season after scans revealed she ruptured her ACL in the round two win over Seaford.

Ivey injured her right knee in the first quarter at Ocean Grove. While she didn’t return to the field, early signs were promising with coach Paul Hood optimistic of her returning after the bye.

But scans have since revealed the worst: a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament.

“I thought the doctor was joking,” Ivey said.

“My knee was still pretty sore throughout the week so I went and got an MRI on Wednesday and found out that night my ACL was gone.

“I struggled to believe it for a while.”

Ivey was leading for a mark and had her right leg planted on the ground when a Seaford defender ran into her from behind, causing her knee to hyperextend.

“I felt two cracks when it happened but wasn’t sure of the severity of the injury,” she said.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2017-05-22/knee-injury-floors-star-cat

Best wishes to Jordan for a speedy recovery. :thumbsu:

Round 3 team vs Cranbourne

B: Laura Taylor Brooke Surgeon Lara Williams
HB: Elise Coventry Anna Teague Krista Woodroffe
C: Hannah Burchell Renee Garing Elise Strachan
HF: Danielle Higgins Maddie Boyd Maddison Janssen
F: Michelle Fedele Alisha Habib Hannah Mangan
Foll: Kate Darby Cassie Blakeway Lily Mithen
Int: Cassandra Hynes Madisen Maguire Hayley Trevean Jaime Woollett
Emerg: Emily Crawford Erin Hoare Emily Ramsay Riley Shapter

Game will be broadcast on Casey Radio (97.7FM) at 2pm on Sunday.

Team for this Sunday in the top of the table clash against Diamond Creek:

Backs: Jaime Woollett, Brooke Surgeon, Lara Williams

Half-backs: Elise Coventry, Anna Teague, Krista Woodroffe

Centres: Hannah Burchell, Cassie Blakeway, Elise Strachan

Half-forwards: Danielle Higgins, Maddie Boyd, Maddie Janssen

Forwards: Emily Crawford, Alisha Habib, Michelle Fedele

Followers: Kate Darby, Lily Mithen, Renee Garing

Interchange: Riley Shapter, Madisen Maguire, Emily Ramsay, Helen Florance

Emergencies: Hayley Trevean, Abbey Bertam, Erin Hoare, Cassandra Hynes, Cheryl de Groot

Emily Crawford, Riley Shapter and Helen Florance will all debut for the Cats at Plenty War Memorial Oval on Sunday afternoon.

Crawford comes to Geelong from Bacchus Marsh in the AFL Goldfields competition for her first game at VFLW level, while Shapter has played previously for the North Geelong Magpies as part of the inaugural VFLW competition in 2016.

Helen Florance has made her return to senior football this season, having previously won two premierships with the Darebin Falcons. This will be her first game for the VFLW Cats.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2017-06-01/new-trio-named-for-undefeated-vflw-cats

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Team for this Sunday in the top of the table clash against Diamond Creek:

Backs: Jaime Woollett, Brooke Surgeon, Lara Williams

Half-backs: Elise Coventry, Anna Teague, Krista Woodroffe

Centres: Hannah Burchell, Cassie Blakeway, Elise Strachan

Half-forwards: Danielle Higgins, Maddie Boyd, Maddie Janssen

Forwards: Emily Crawford, Alisha Habib, Michelle Fedele

Followers: Kate Darby, Lily Mithen, Renee Garing

Interchange: Riley Shapter, Madisen Maguire, Emily Ramsay, Helen Florance

Emergencies: Hayley Trevean, Abbey Bertam, Erin Hoare, Cassandra Hynes, Cheryl de Groot

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2017-06-01/new-trio-named-for-undefeated-vflw-cats

Diamond Creek, there's a big, big difference.;)

Essendon, Hawthorn and Richmond have put in bids for a woman's team.

Am I wrong to feel that at least one of the three has been guaranteed a license.

If one of them get one and both Geelong and St Kilda miss out then there is some serious corruption in the AFL

Am I wrong to feel that at least one of the three has been guaranteed a license.

If one of them get one and both Geelong and St Kilda miss out then there is some serious corruption in the AFL
Said it before, if the clubs to be included don't come from those with provisional licenses the AFL should reimburse those teams.
We have but in $200-300k to a side that may not play.
That clubs that didn't support the original proposal and are now trying to ride in on the coattails is disgusting

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Said it before, if the clubs to be included don't come from those with provisional licenses the AFL should reimburse those teams.
We have but in $200-300k to a side that may not play.
That clubs that didn't support the original proposal and are now trying to ride in on the coattails is disgusting
If we put in 300k and it doesn't come off then that's our fault.
We weren't given a license because they believed the Geelong region didn't have the depth of talent.

If that hasn't improved then spending 300k is a waste.

We weren't given a license because they believed the Geelong region didn't have the depth of talent.

Not really.
If we have spent that money in good faith that the Provisional license actually meant something how then can the club be responsible if the AFL then change the rules of the game?

Teams that put in the initial bids should be first considered, not suprising to see a few of the bigger clubs try cash in when it looks like being a winner but I really hope the best bids are selected and not just based on the 'biggest clubs'

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Teams that put in the initial bids should be first considered, not suprising to see a few of the bigger clubs try cash in when it looks like being a winner but I really hope the best bids are selected and not just based on the 'biggest clubs'
And let's say we are regarded as a "bigger club" in this regard because we put in an offer and received a provisional license. And we then backed it up by spending 300k but still couldn't pull together the best option.

Are you ok with us missing out?
I am.

The model has to be right.

And let's say we are regarded as a "bigger club" in this regard because we put in an offer and received a provisional license. And we then backed it up by spending 300k but still couldn't pull together the best option.

Are you ok with us missing out?
I am.

The model has to be right.
I'm more than ok with us missing out provided our bid is genuinely bettered.

If they find them hard to split them I hope the ones that have been interested all the way are selected

The way the AFL is talking I think they want another big 4 and will shake rattle and make up stuff to be able to bring in the Tigers or Bombers.

Richmond I feel have already been told they all but have it with the way they are already doing things for it, like Collingwood did 12 months ago.

Essendon have had full Coar uniforms designed already including AFLW logos on them home and clash. Just showed ad on channel 7 showing off their woman's team including the daughter of Michael Long.

I have a really bad feeling the AFL are not interested in us having a license in 2019.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Essendon have had full Coar uniforms designed already including AFLW logos on them home and clash. Just showed ad on channel 7 showing off their woman's team including the daughter of Michael Long.

I have a really bad feeling the AFL are not interested in us having a license in 2019.

Saw that ad. Going to get trumped by the PC card.

Depth in the greater Geelong area certainly has improved. Falcons had a team in the girls' U18 competition earlier this year, and there's about a dozen teams playing in an Under 19 competition in Geelong, and about twice that many sides in an Under 15 competition. Not only that, but there are two senior sides playing in a competition in Ballarat - North Geelong and Drysdale.

I work with someone whose daughter played for the Falcons' side, and she was saying the fact that Geelong may be getting an AFLW licence is a big factor in interest in playing increasing significantly over the last 18 months. Would be a ****ing joke if the AFL turned a blind eye to all the development and investment in the Geelong area and decided to give licences to "bigger" clubs who weren't even interested 12 months ago.

Depth in the greater Geelong area certainly has improved. Falcons had a team in the girls' U18 competition earlier this year, and there's about a dozen teams playing in an Under 19 competition in Geelong, and about twice that many sides in an Under 15 competition. Not only that, but there are two senior sides playing in a competition in Ballarat - North Geelong and Drysdale.

I work with someone whose daughter played for the Falcons' side, and she was saying the fact that Geelong may be getting an AFLW licence is a big factor in interest in playing increasing significantly over the last 18 months. Would be a ****ing joke if the AFL turned a blind eye to all the development and investment in the Geelong area and decided to give licences to "bigger" clubs who weren't even interested 12 months ago.
On the strength of any bid as well... i read somewhere that we are running our VFLW program like an AFL one, and the talk is actually running it better than some of the AFLW programs are being ran..

You can only assume that should hold us in good stead

On the strength of any bid as well... i read somewhere that we are running our VFLW program like an AFL one, and the talk is actually running it better than some of the AFLW programs are being ran..

You can only assume that should hold us in good stead
Think Lily Mithen said something similar, said when she arrived to play for the VFLW side it was as if she was playing for the Demons AFLW side from the off-field side of things

Oct 20, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey

Yes, I think you'd be wrong - simply because none of them have provisional licences, and although the AFL can make stuff up on the spot very well, there are limits. Mind you, it wouldn't shock.

My guess is that it's really between us, StKilda and West Coast for the two licences - West Coast for the interstate factor, StKilda and Geelong because they are obviously well advanced in having a women's side.

Early reading seems that we have the most competitive non-AFLW side already, which should hold us in excellent stead. Belting the crap out of Box Hill was a great start.

re cat

Premiership Player
May 14, 2007
2 hrs from KP
AFL Club
Geelong
I lashed out and bought a membership which turned up today.

The colingwood other half told me to do it and all tax deductable.:D:D

The more members will show more interest.

Key ring not bad either:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back