AFLW Geelong Cats 2019 AFLW Team Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So on the back of the Essendon bid getting a run in primetime the other night, Richmond's bid gets a run tonight on AFL360 with Kate Sheenan saying they are going to get a license when talking about her role.

So why are the other teams even worrying about bidding when it seems the decision has already been made?

So on the back of the Essendon bid getting a run in primetime the other night, Richmond's bid gets a run tonight on AFL360 with Kate Sheenan saying they are going to get a license when talking about her role.

So why are the other teams even worrying about bidding when it seems the decision has already been made?
IF there are 4 new teams, are they wanting 3 from VIC and 1 from WA?

My Gut feel is North Melbourne and St Kilda are going to miss out.

Geelong will get one because the work and having games out of Simonds is too big a carrot for the AFL as it is ideal for AFLW games.

Richmond are doing what Collingwood did and just using there size to pressure the AFL

Essendon are playing the indigenous angle, I wonder if they have agreed to play 2 or more games in the NT and also promote a womans version of Drem Time at the G.

Hawthorn's bid is built a lot around the new training facility which means they are thinking the next intake of teams.

For North to get back into a chance of getting a licence they might play home games out of Hobart.

Interesting times ahead, one guarantee is that a few clubs are going to be mighty annoyed.

Geelong will get one because the work and having games out of Simonds is too big a carrot for the AFL as it is ideal for AFLW games.

Richmond are doing what Collingwood did and just using there size to pressure the AFL

Essendon are playing the indigenous angle, I wonder if they have agreed to play 2 or more games in the NT and also promote a womans version of Drem Time at the G.

Hawthorn's bid is built a lot around the new training facility which means they are thinking the next intake of teams.

For North to get back into a chance of getting a licence they might play home games out of Hobart.

Interesting times ahead, one guarantee is that a few clubs are going to be mighty annoyed.
Interesting to see if they have as you mentioned pushed the NT angle, and how the Crows would feel about that.
They have their stake clearly in the ground with the NT

My gut feel is that will continue to be a financial drain on all clubs for decades, and port and Sydney are geniuses for not bidding. Leagues must dish out incentives to keep this viable. St. Kilda and North cant even run a profitable men's program, how will they do it with the smaller market of the women's league.

If all the country women dont get a team at the cattery it would be a disgrace. 2nd longest serving team in history. New and improved facilities. Culturally perfect for a women's team.
Moreover, hawks have been crap since their new facility, so ours must be better. Plus their violence with clarkson and his cohorts is countering the purpose of the women's league (clarko liable to punch the women's coach if they have cross purposes and think his apology would be enough).
Make the cattery the afl women's headquarters.

My gut feel is that will continue to be a financial drain on all clubs for decades, and port and Sydney are geniuses for not bidding. Leagues must dish out incentives to keep this viable. St. Kilda and North cant even run a profitable men's program, how will they do it with the smaller market of the women's league.

Your estimate of decades is absurdly optimistic, the comp is simply never going to be economically viable in its own right.
The official/unofficial line, disseminated by the AFL via (mainly) Caroline Wilson, is that it will pay for itself indirectly by opening up a wider range of new sponsorship options for both the AFL and the clubs directly.
We shall see.

Your estimate of decades is absurdly optimistic, the comp is simply never going to be economically viable in its own right.
I'm not sure how people can make such definitive statements when we have no idea how costs or revenue will shake out in the short term, let alone beyond that.

The official/unofficial line, disseminated by the AFL via (mainly) Caroline Wilson, is that it will pay for itself indirectly by opening up a wider range of new sponsorship options for both the AFL and the clubs directly.
We shall see.
Would you say the NBA has become more profitable and embraced league after the foundations of the WNBA? I can see why this league will be great for many people who will get a lot of joy from it, but I don't think I ever will be one. I'd prefer the club it's cash. Perhaps in a few years when the standard improves it might be worth revisiting, and I do appreciate that it has to start somewhere, but I don't know a soul who didn't have a relative actually playing in the W AFL who even watched it once the nab challlenge started.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would you say the NBA has become more profitable and embraced league after the foundations of the WNBA? I can see why this league will be great for many people who will get a lot of joy from it, but I don't think I ever will be one. I'd prefer the club it's cash. Perhaps in a few years when the standard improves it might be worth revisiting, and I do appreciate that it has to start somewhere, but I don't know a soul who didn't have a relative actually playing in the W AFL who even watched it once the nab challlenge started.

There were 15,610 in attendance at the AFLW Grand Final at Metricon.

And 12,710 at the same ground a few hours later for the opening round of the AFL here in Queensland. After advertising half-price tickets for this game during the GF earlier.

Not sure at all where the comp is going from here but there were clearly quite a few fans paying the comp some attention in its first season.

And, speaking for myself, I'll definitely have more interest once the Cats make their AFLW debut as well.

The more footy teams representing the hoops, the happier I am.

There were 15,610 in attendance at the AFLW Grand Final at Metricon.

And 12,710 at the same ground a few hours later for the opening round of the AFL here in Queensland. After advertising half-price tickets for this game during the GF earlier.

Not sure at all where the comp is going from here but there were clearly quite a few fans paying the comp some attention in its first season.

And, speaking for myself, I'll definitely have more interest once the Cats make their AFLW debut as well.

The more footy teams representing the hoops, the happier I am.
I would suggest that we will see a truer reflection of the interest when admission to go watch starts getting charged.
It is all well and good drawing crowds when it is free... but will people part with their hard earned to go watch it reguarly.... I genuinely have no idea.

I would suggest that we will see a truer reflection of the interest when admission to go watch starts getting charged.
It is all well and good drawing crowds when it is free... but will people part with their hard earned to go watch it reguarly.... I genuinely have no idea.

I certainly agree with that. And I actually don't expect they will find it easy to draw a crowd if people are paying for the privilege.

However, to suggest that nobody was really interested in it last time around doesn't ring true for me.

From where I sat at the GF, the crowd was heavily invested in both the teams and the result.

If they could structure it so the games were played as curtain raisers it could be a winner.Sponsor ship will be paramount too.

If they could structure it so the games were played as curtain raisers it could be a winner.Sponsor ship will be paramount too.

Sponsorship is all there is.
No gate receipts, no TV licence fees (TV stations get it for free).
The one thing that's making it interesting for competing clubs at present is that the non-competing clubs are (through the AFL) paying a large slab of the costs (eg $2.5m for player wages and players' expenses, and undisclosed amounts for some admin and promotional costs).
But somebody still has to pay all the other expenses, eg ground rentals/match day costs, travelling costs, and footy/admin/promotion staff costs.
No other national women's sporting comp (as far as I know) is successful either commercially or in popularity.
The fact that a new sport such as the BBL can be popular and "successful", yet still be running at an accrued loss of $33m (and counting) shows just how hard it's going to be for the AFL Womens comp to ever become commercially viable in its own right.

Since Boxhead_31 beat me to the announcement of our bid for 2019, I'll just post our VFLW side for this week against VU Western Spurs in Footscray on Sunday...

CATS TEAM

Backs: Jaime Woollett, Bec Goring (captain), Lara Williams

Half-backs: Elise Coventry, Anna Teague, Krista Woodroffe

Centres: Hannah Burchell, Renee Garing, Elise Strachan

Half-forwards: Danielle Higgins, Maddie Boyd, Maddie Janssen

Forwards: Hannah Mangan, Alisha Habib, Kate Darby

Followers: Erin Hoare, Cassie Blakeway, Lily Mithen

Interchange: Emily Crawford, Laura Taylor, Emily Ramsay, Hayley Trevean

Emergencies: Cassandra Hynes, Madisen Maguire, Helen Florance, Brooke Surgeon, Michelle Fedele

Erin Hoare will be making her debut in the hoops this week. Erin's a former national level netballer, having played for the Melbourne Vixens and Sydney Swifts. She'd probably be one of, if not the tallest player in the league, standing 193cm tall. Will be interesting to see how she goes.

The game will be broadcast on "Girls play footy radio", or 89.1 FM, and also streamed live on the tune in app.

Beat me to it. Was just about to post the same thing!
The video shows the whole aspect of what we can offer and looking through the other team's bids it shouldn't be close.

Interesting to read that there are 450 VFLW members not a bad effort for something that wasn't massively pushed

The video shows the whole aspect of what we can offer and looking through the other team's bids it shouldn't be close.

Interesting to read that there are 450 VFLW members not a bad effort for something that wasn't massively pushed

Proud to say I'm one of the bolded too. :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back