Game Day Geelong Cats v Collingwood, Finals Week 1 - 19:50 AEST, Sep 06, 2019 - No umpiring complaints during game.

Who will win?

• Geelong <10

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Geelong 10+ to <30

Votes: 33 19.6%
  • Geelong by 30+

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Collingwood <10

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Collingwood 10+ to <30

Votes: 66 39.3%
  • Collingwood by 30+

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whiskers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Well yeah, who wouldn't agree with that Chris, we all saw that it was purely because of the bye that you lost, I dont think anyone could possibly argue with you on that one, the AFL's so rigged right?
No need to be a muppet.
I’m not saying anything is rigged just look at how often we win games.
Over 70% with Scott in charge.
As soon as a bye comes it drops to something ridiculously low, well under 20%.

This is over a 9 year period, there is obviously a concerning pattern. The 7 goal to 1 starts in week 1 of finals a number of times is a huge concern.

Just watch the game next week, don’t be surprised by a much improved performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gutsroy

Brownlow Medallist
May 12, 2013
Switzerland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Dangerfield and Stewart were great for the Cats, thought young Henry was pretty good, too.
No idea of his stats, but Parfitt had some nice moments.
Was great to see Moore get through unscathed and have such impact, worked really well with Howe and Roughead.
Sidebottom handy in the second half, Adams all night and Wills worked his arse off.
Shame about Duncan for the Cats and fingers crossed for a miracle for Greenwood for us :(

Last edited:

Nuwanda

All Australian
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Which was more than we’ve scored against Geelong in the last 3 years at least...We made a GF last year when we couldn’t score that much against Geelong...

Everyone talks up West Coast for beating a team who less than a month ago were belted by 100 points, but want to talk down us beating the top team, fine, let us slip under the radar whilst West Coast get a reality check
And of course it was only natural for the Pies to run out of legs after bringing in players who hadn’t played much footy over the past month and carrying 2 injured players on the bench throughout the second half.

The cats have the best structured defence in the league. When the game needed to be won it was. Who cares about the margin? WCE will struggle against the cats defence next week. I’m not sure why people think it will be straight sets for the Cats. They are a better team than WCE who beat one of the worst teams to play in the finals.

MinerBoy

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 9, 2007
Beyond The Wall.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Other teams?
No need to be a muppet.

This is over a 9 year period, there is obviously a concerning pattern. The 7 goal to 1 starts in week 1 of finals a number of times is a huge concern.

Just watch the game next week, don’t be surprised by a much improved performance.
I'd be less concerned about the post bye % and more concerned about the post home and away %

THECHIEFTON

Premiership Player
Apr 25, 2011
Launceston
AFL Club
Richmond
Geelong just didn't handle the finals pressure again. Shanked kicks, rushed handballs and fumbles all night. Not sure what to think of Collingwood. Played well in the first but not that great after that.

Ceehook

Team Captain
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
ahh last night is proof - Geelong are not ANZAC's

WTF you are saying

"age shall not weary them"

age certainly has got the better of Gary Dangerwood
and especially for Ablett & Selwood

doesnt diminish their deeds of the past , they and the club have a tough decision to make

tennis anyone :)

captain blood 17

1980 🏆 2017 🏆 2019 🏆
Dec 9, 2006
#rentfree in Cats and Magpie supporters heads.
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa Traralgon Football Club
Yeah. Hawks had no right being top 4 last year. And it showed. But I reckon Lions are a different prospect at home. Hard to pick.
It’s gonna be a tough game for sure. But finals pressure is different again. Gonna be interesting to see if the lions can go for 4 quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corkintheocean

All Australian
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
No need to be a muppet.

Drops to about 20% if the game is in September under Scott irrespective of byes.

Reg Grundy35

Club Legend
Jul 27, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Geelong have got a serious finals phobia now. It seems ingrained. 3-10 since 2011 is chronic. I'd love to know who the 3 were against but I'll wager they were easy beats.

Collingwould

All Australian
Sep 22, 2008
Brunswick West
AFL Club
Collingwood
We had the same amount of scoring shots as the opposition and played about 20 minutes of footy.

That’s my thoughts.

Our footy is fine. Whether we bother turning up or not is another issue.

Thanks for thinking of me
so the summary on the AFL site is right: "A hard-fought win for Collingwood who jumped the Cats early with four first-quarter stoppage goals. The Cats battled back to finish with more contested possessions (157-135), inside 50 entries (50-43) and shots at goal (22-19) but the Magpies managed to hang on"

You can't say your boys played for 20 minutes, that diminishes their effort over 4 quarters which is backed up by the stats. The difference is the Pies played with more flair and were able to convert fast play into goals which got us out to 6 goals in the 2nd quarter. In modern footy, 6 goals isn't enough, and the Cats showed that they are still good, but need to work on fast plays. IMO, ball movement too slow all night.

Chrispiesssss

Premiership Player
Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Been racially targeted at games before. Little bit different when a bloke is still going you post-game to the point his Mrs is holding back.

He’s coming up face-to-face and really trying to intimidate me. Scary stuff.

Pies got the Win. All that matters.

Adams - BOG.
Sidey, Pendles, Grundy, Flip, Elliot and my baby Moore was amazing.

Cockarfitt

07, 09, 11
Feb 16, 2007
On Top Of The World
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Syd FC, Pelicans, Saints
Patrick Dangerfield is one of the very best players in the league. People can discredit him all they want but his will to win is inspiring
He was the only Geelong player last night to give 100%. Without him we lose by 10 goals which should have been the margin anyway.

I simply cannot understand how Scott left Sidebottom free all night and left Stanley out of the side. Mind boggling.

andon

Senior List
Jul 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Good win by the Pies, came out smoking and built a strong early lead, 100% effort by a very good team, very well deserved.

Cats were beaten by a better team on the night, they were rattled early by Collingwoods pressure.

SlyCunnington

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2010
Downtown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Been racially targeted at games before. Little bit different when a bloke is still going you post-game to the point his Mrs is holding back.

He’s coming up face-to-face and really trying to intimidate me. Scary stuff.

Pies got the Win. All that matters.

Adams - BOG.
Sidey, Pendles, Grundy, Flip, Elliot and my baby Moore was amazing.
That bloke is clearly a massive dickhead, so good on you for not giving him what he deserved.

Great win by the Pies.

Buckley comprehensively out coached Scott I thought.

Good luck in the Prelim.

demondavey

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
No need to be a muppet.

It’s absolutely ridiculous. It’s such a problem that you have now lost a final by 10 points and were blown away in 10-11 minutes in the opening quarter. Scott obviously hasn’t addressed that and it’s academic if you bounce back next week, you’ll be playing Brisbane or Richmond in a PF.

The only consolation I see there is that you obviously play well with some momentum, so you could go up to Brisbane and win, or shock Richmond. But it’s hard now.

Top Bottom