Game Day Geelong Cats v Collingwood, Finals Week 1 - 19:50 AEST, Sep 06, 2019 - No umpiring complaints during game.

Who will win?

• Geelong <10

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Geelong 10+ to <30

Votes: 33 19.6%
  • Geelong by 30+

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Collingwood <10

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Collingwood 10+ to <30

Votes: 66 39.3%
  • Collingwood by 30+

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong Cats v Collingwood, Finals Week 1 - 19:50 AEST, Sep 06, 2019

Geelong-vs-Coll.png

catsvpiesfw1.png

FREE for 14 days:
Stream the game LIVE to any device.

Tip the game now - win cash 'n' prizes

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

qual-elim-finals-2.jpg

Thread Rule: No umpire complaining until after the game.
Geelong Cats
FB: Zach Tuohy, Mark Blicavs, Harry Taylor
HB: Mark O'Connor, Jack Henry, Tom Stewart
C: Mitch Duncan, Patrick Dangerfield, Brandan Parfitt
HF: Gary Ablett, Esava Ratugolea, Gary Rohan
FF: Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Hawkins, Jed Bews
FOL: Rhys Stanley, Tim Kelly, Joel Selwood
I/C: Jake Kolodjashnij, Tom Atkins, Gryan Miers, Quinton Narkle
EMG: Scott Selwood, Sam Menegola, James Parsons, Lachie Henderson

IN: Jake Kolodjashnij, Tom Atkins
OUT: Cameron Guthrie (Injured), Lachie Henderson (Omitted)

Collingwood
FB: Levi Greenwood, Jordan Roughead, Jeremy Howe
HB: Jack Crisp, Darcy Moore, Brayden Maynard
C: Tom Phillips, Scott Pendlebury, Chris Mayne
HF: Steele Sidebottom, Brody Mihocek, Will Hoskin-Elliott
FF: Jamie Elliott, Jordan De Goey, Jaidyn Stephenson
FOL: Brodie Grundy, Adam Treloar, Taylor Adams
I/C: John Noble, Callum L. Brown, Josh Thomas, Rupert Wills
EMG: Matthew Scharenberg, Travis Varcoe, Jack Madgen, Josh Daicos

IN: Jaidyn Stephenson, Jordan De Goey, Steele Sidebottom
OUT: Jack Madgen (Omitted), Matthew Scharenberg (Omitted), Travis Varcoe (Omitted)

Scott Pendlebury - Playing 300th game

UMPIRES
Robert O'Gorman (10), Ray Chamberlain (18), Simon Meredith (21)

Where and when: MCG, Friday September 6, 7.50pm AEST

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for Geelong:
The opportunity to bury the post-bye and finals record in one fell swoop and book a home preliminary final. Since winning the 2011 flag, the Cats are 2-11 following in-season weeks off and 3-9 in September overall. Veterans Joel Selwood, Harry Taylor and Gary Ablett would enjoy the extra week's rest, too.

What it means for Collingwood: A home preliminary final is a tasty proposition for a team aiming to build continuity. Welcoming back Jaidyn Stephenson (gambling ban) and Jordan De Goey (injury) to play with Darcy Moore for just his second game in eight weeks would place the Pies in a strong position if they were to progress straight to the penultimate weekend.

The stat: Dating back to round 22, 2017, Geelong has held Collingwood to an average of 56.6 points in their past three meetings. In the 47 matches against all other opponents in that period, the Pies have scored an average of 90 points.

The match-up: Rhys Stanley v Brodie Grundy

They shared the honours back in round one but this could be Stanley's biggest test as a No.1 ruckman. Ranked No.2 overall in the Official AFL Player Ratings, Grundy is in career-best form as he prepares for Stanley (No.11 ranked ruckman).

It's a big week for: Jaidyn Stephenson

Friday night marks 88 days since Stephenson was last on an AFL field prior to his 10-week suspension for betting on Collingwood matches. In the first half of the season he was the focal point in attack for the Pies but just how much impact can he have on return?

Big call: Chris Scott to flip the narrative and proclaim, "We're an anywhere, anytime team," as the Cats hold on in a thriller.

Prediction: Cats by eight points.

Last edited:
I would be more concerned about playing post bye than at the MCG if I was Chris Scott

Yep, but they've done things a lot different this year compared to every other year Scott has been coaching Geelong.

We'll see if they've got it right or not.

Geelong can absolutely win the flag, but with potentially 2 byes, I'm not sure they can get to the thing.

Collingwood can win if they control the game, Pies will need to tag out a player like Danger or Kelly imo their mids a bit more damaging then the Pies. guys like Sidebottom/Philips will also need to be better than Geelong's wings.

Collingwood to beat Geelong by 16points, Grundy alone will be to good for any of Geelongs Rucks

Reckon we're underdogs and for good reason. Cats coming into form.

If we bring the suffocation game we might get em. Can't allow gaj, Kelly and Danger off the chain as much as they can't afford Pendles and Sides time and space either. Not that Pendles needs it anyway as he just bends time to his will. (still scratch my head how he does that - never seen another player emulate it to that level)

Reckon it's won in the middle and Danger worries me. Grundy will therefore be key, will need to continue the extra mid game if we're any chance.

My feeling is :$

Mihocek
De Goey

You watch those guys kill it in the finals. And kill us.

This is not a given, those two come up against a very very stingy defence. For Collingwood to win they'll need to nullify all of gaj, Kelly and Danger not to mention the likes of Tomohawk and the Sav.

This is a seriously difficult game for us to win. Think you're dismissing the cats too readily.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rate the Pies but the Cats are so far under the radar, I expect them to make a statement (not margin wise) and win

Fair reason we are a bit under the radar and it's that a lot (if not most) of our second half of the season has been disgraceful. But we did get there in the end (home state final) and I feel like the by might actually help us this time as our oldies will appreciate the freshen up.

Back