Game Day Geelong Cats v Collingwood, Finals Week 1 - 19:50 AEST, Sep 06, 2019 - No umpiring complaints during game.

Who will win?

• Geelong <10

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Geelong 10+ to <30

Votes: 33 19.6%
  • Geelong by 30+

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Collingwood <10

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Collingwood 10+ to <30

Votes: 66 39.3%
  • Collingwood by 30+

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I find it rather odd that according to practically every expert and commentator Collingwood totally outplayed them by a good margin, Geelong were jumped early, looked pretty ordinary otherwise and have a lot of work to do to stand a chance next week. Then I look at the score line and see a difference of 10 points.

Collingwood went the entire last quarter scoring all of... nothing, for a total of 61 points. They also happened to manage just 76 points against Essendon in their last match. What I take from that is, people should pay a little more attention to just how close Geelong got despite an apparent vastly superior Collingwood on the night. They were good certainly, but they will need to be even better again to win the whole thing.

They can win it, but unlike some, I still see a close 10 point win that leaves questions as much as anything.

Thank god we didn't have to face Richmond.
That would have been a 60 point drubbing.

At least with Collingwood, you are always in with a slight chance as they have a tendency to get the wobbles late in games.
Very similar to Geelong of the 80's. No matter the size of the lead, you could never count your chickens before they hatched.

The CEO of AFL, I mean president of Collingwood everyone :

"I saw the beginning of the game and I went over to Gil (McLachlan) because 20 years ago, Frank Costa and I shook hands on an agreement because 21 years ago, there was a day when Collingwood had predominantly white, white shorts and Geelong had white and no one could tell what was going on," he said to Brian Taylor. "The umpires were wearing white too. We had a handshake agreement that Geelong would always wear white shorts, white jumper and the hoop socks and we'd wear all black, all black and the black jumper. Never had an issue since.

The audacity of Collingwood dictating things their way. Don’t want to change tradition yet have the gall to tell Port Adelaide what they can and can’t wear.
Far out. AFL really is unique.
Eddie.. gentleman’s agreement. Ha.

Chris Scott post match interview “from the 15 minute mark of the 1st quarter we were on top”.
Why didn’t you win then Chis? 4 goals down with not long left. Maybe Collingwood were on top at stages other than the start then?

Was the least I’ve ever worried about a final.
Reason being we are terrible off a bye and winning would’ve only given us another one with a likely horrible start.

Now we play 2nd week up after a bye where we rarely lose and West Coast are severely overrated this year.
Beating up on Essendon isn’t that impressive and like Port, hawks and even we showed earlier this year there is a clear way to beat them.

I’m confident we will be more switched on next week and back in the same position as we would’ve been if we won tonight but with the advantage of not having had a bye.

If we can’t beat West Coast than I might well and truly melt but until than whilst I’m bloody annoyed nothing has been fixed regarding byes, I don’t feel all that bad.

Reason being we are terrible off a bye and winning would’ve only given us another one with a likely horrible start.

Now we play 2nd week up after a bye where we rarely lose and West Coast are severely overrated this year.
Beating up on Essendon isn’t that impressive and like Port, hawks and even we showed earlier this year there is a clear way to beat them.

I’m confident we will be more switched on next week and back in the same position as we would’ve been if we won tonight but with the advantage of not having had a bye.

If we can’t beat West Coast than I might well and truly melt but until than whilst I’m bloody annoyed nothing has been fixed regarding byes, I don’t feel all that bad.
Lol - odd post.

It was the bye. :think:

Well yeah, who wouldn't agree with that Chris, we all saw that it was purely because of the bye that you lost, I dont think anyone could possibly argue with you on that one, the AFL's so rigged right?

Watched him the last 3 minutes in the centre of the ground just itching to have a moment.
That's his problem thinks he's important as an individual to the game. He's not, he's just meant to be one of a few hidden cogs that you don't see that turns the wheel. He wants to be the badge on the car.

Well yeah, who wouldn't agree with that Chris, we all saw that it was purely because of the bye that you lost, I dont think anyone could possibly argue with you on that one, the AFL's so rigged right?

No need to be a muppet.
I’m not saying anything is rigged just look at how often we win games.
Over 70% with Scott in charge.
As soon as a bye comes it drops to something ridiculously low, well under 20%.

This is over a 9 year period, there is obviously a concerning pattern. The 7 goal to 1 starts in week 1 of finals a number of times is a huge concern.

Just watch the game next week, don’t be surprised by a much improved performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dangerfield and Stewart were great for the Cats, thought young Henry was pretty good, too.
No idea of his stats, but Parfitt had some nice moments.
Was great to see Moore get through unscathed and have such impact, worked really well with Howe and Roughead.
Sidebottom handy in the second half, Adams all night and Wills worked his arse off.
Shame about Duncan for the Cats and fingers crossed for a miracle for Greenwood for us :(

Last edited:
Which was more than we’ve scored against Geelong in the last 3 years at least...We made a GF last year when we couldn’t score that much against Geelong...

Everyone talks up West Coast for beating a team who less than a month ago were belted by 100 points, but want to talk down us beating the top team, fine, let us slip under the radar whilst West Coast get a reality check

And of course it was only natural for the Pies to run out of legs after bringing in players who hadn’t played much footy over the past month and carrying 2 injured players on the bench throughout the second half.

The cats have the best structured defence in the league. When the game needed to be won it was. Who cares about the margin? WCE will struggle against the cats defence next week. I’m not sure why people think it will be straight sets for the Cats. They are a better team than WCE who beat one of the worst teams to play in the finals.

No need to be a muppet.

This is over a 9 year period, there is obviously a concerning pattern. The 7 goal to 1 starts in week 1 of finals a number of times is a huge concern.

Just watch the game next week, don’t be surprised by a much improved performance.

I'd be less concerned about the post bye % and more concerned about the post home and away %

ahh last night is proof - Geelong are not ANZAC's

WTF you are saying

"age shall not weary them"

age certainly has got the better of Gary Dangerwood
and especially for Ablett & Selwood

doesnt diminish their deeds of the past , they and the club have a tough decision to make

tennis anyone :)

Yeah. Hawks had no right being top 4 last year. And it showed. But I reckon Lions are a different prospect at home. Hard to pick.

It’s gonna be a tough game for sure. But finals pressure is different again. Gonna be interesting to see if the lions can go for 4 quarters.

No need to be a muppet.

Drops to about 20% if the game is in September under Scott irrespective of byes.

Back