Game Day Geelong Cats v Collingwood, Finals Week 1 - 19:50 AEST, Sep 06, 2019 - No umpiring complaints during game.

Who will win?

• Geelong <10

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Geelong 10+ to <30

Votes: 33 19.6%
  • Geelong by 30+

Votes: 17 10.1%
  • Collingwood <10

Votes: 19 11.3%
  • Collingwood 10+ to <30

Votes: 66 39.3%
  • Collingwood by 30+

Votes: 20 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong have got a serious finals phobia now. It seems ingrained. 3-10 since 2011 is chronic. I'd love to know who the 3 were against but I'll wager they were easy beats.

We had the same amount of scoring shots as the opposition and played about 20 minutes of footy.

That’s my thoughts.

Our footy is fine. Whether we bother turning up or not is another issue.

Thanks for thinking of me

so the summary on the AFL site is right: "A hard-fought win for Collingwood who jumped the Cats early with four first-quarter stoppage goals. The Cats battled back to finish with more contested possessions (157-135), inside 50 entries (50-43) and shots at goal (22-19) but the Magpies managed to hang on"

You can't say your boys played for 20 minutes, that diminishes their effort over 4 quarters which is backed up by the stats. The difference is the Pies played with more flair and were able to convert fast play into goals which got us out to 6 goals in the 2nd quarter. In modern footy, 6 goals isn't enough, and the Cats showed that they are still good, but need to work on fast plays. IMO, ball movement too slow all night.

Been racially targeted at games before. Little bit different when a bloke is still going you post-game to the point his Mrs is holding back.

He’s coming up face-to-face and really trying to intimidate me. Scary stuff.

Pies got the Win. All that matters.

Adams - BOG.
Sidey, Pendles, Grundy, Flip, Elliot and my baby Moore was amazing.

Patrick Dangerfield is one of the very best players in the league. People can discredit him all they want but his will to win is inspiring
He was the only Geelong player last night to give 100%. Without him we lose by 10 goals which should have been the margin anyway.

I simply cannot understand how Scott left Sidebottom free all night and left Stanley out of the side. Mind boggling.

Good win by the Pies, came out smoking and built a strong early lead, 100% effort by a very good team, very well deserved.

Cats were beaten by a better team on the night, they were rattled early by Collingwoods pressure.

Been racially targeted at games before. Little bit different when a bloke is still going you post-game to the point his Mrs is holding back.

Pies got the Win. All that matters.

Adams - BOG.
Sidey, Pendles, Grundy, Flip, Elliot and my baby Moore was amazing.
That bloke is clearly a massive dickhead, so good on you for not giving him what he deserved.

Great win by the Pies.

Buckley comprehensively out coached Scott I thought.

Good luck in the Prelim.

No need to be a muppet.
I’m not saying anything is rigged just look at how often we win games.
Over 70% with Scott in charge.
As soon as a bye comes it drops to something ridiculously low, well under 20%.

This is over a 9 year period, there is obviously a concerning pattern. The 7 goal to 1 starts in week 1 of finals a number of times is a huge concern.

Just watch the game next week, don’t be surprised by a much improved performance.
It’s absolutely ridiculous. It’s such a problem that you have now lost a final by 10 points and were blown away in 10-11 minutes in the opening quarter. Scott obviously hasn’t addressed that and it’s academic if you bounce back next week, you’ll be playing Brisbane or Richmond in a PF.

The only consolation I see there is that you obviously play well with some momentum, so you could go up to Brisbane and win, or shock Richmond. But it’s hard now.

so the summary on the AFL site is right: "A hard-fought win for Collingwood who jumped the Cats early with four first-quarter stoppage goals. The Cats battled back to finish with more contested possessions (157-135), inside 50 entries (50-43) and shots at goal (22-19) but the Magpies managed to hang on"

You can't say your boys played for 20 minutes, that diminishes their effort over 4 quarters which is backed up by the stats. The difference is the Pies played with more flair and were able to convert fast play into goals which got us out to 6 goals in the 2nd quarter. In modern footy, 6 goals isn't enough, and the Cats showed that they are still good, but need to work on fast plays. IMO, ball movement too slow all night.

Probably more what I was referring to - 20 minutes of Cats footy - the footy that got us to top spot. It was built around fast ball movement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was the only Geelong player last night to give 100%. Without him we lose by 10 goals which should have been the margin anyway.

I simply cannot understand how Scott left Sidebottom free all night and left Stanley out of the side. Mind boggling.
Mate it’s ludicrous. He has made some genuine selection blunders come finals. What I don’t get is why leave out your no.1 Ruck and put an AA defender up against an AA ruckman!

Mate it’s ludicrous. He has made some genuine selection blunders come finals. What I don’t get is why leave out your no.1 Ruck and put an AA defender up against an AA ruckman!
My wife sent me a message and told me Stanley was out and I couldn't believe it. He pushes every forward up into the defensive 50 so when we win the ball there's nobody to kick to. It's why we're forced to go slow in the back half. The first half of the season was a completely different method. Our forwards stayed at home and we moved the ball faster.

It all changed after the Richmond win.

Geelong have got a serious finals phobia now. It seems ingrained. 3-10 since 2011 is chronic. I'd love to know who the 3 were against but I'll wager they were easy beats.
Ok Grand Final phobias? Dom Sheed 2011 ring a bell.You aint won it yet!
We had the same amount of scoring shots as the opposition and played about 20 minutes of footy.

That’s my thoughts.

Our footy is fine. Whether we bother turning up or not is another issue.

Thanks for thinking of me
In Pies speak you certainly had a moral victory. Geelong lost by10 only ...played crap

I find it rather odd that according to practically every expert and commentator Collingwood totally outplayed them by a good margin, Geelong were jumped early, looked pretty ordinary otherwise and have a lot of work to do to stand a chance next week. Then I look at the score line and see a difference of 10 points.

Collingwood went the entire last quarter scoring all of... nothing, for a total of 61 points. They also happened to manage just 76 points against Essendon in their last match. What I take from that is, people should pay a little more attention to just how close Geelong got despite an apparent vastly superior Collingwood on the night. They were good certainly, but they will need to be even better again to win the whole thing.

They can win it, but unlike some, I still see a close 10 point win that leaves questions as much as anything.

Most finals games are slogs- tough- particularly in a pitch that’s had rain all week.

Look at last years GF- it wasn’t a scoring feast.

You had a bruise free run against Essendon—which when you compare the games played so far- Collingwood laid more tackles than Essendon and west coast combined.

Your game next week vs Geelong won’t be another bruise free encounter.

Let’s also not forget Geelong is the #1 ranked defence in the competition too—and all of our encounters in recent times have been low scoring.

Was the least I’ve ever worried about a final.
Reason being we are terrible off a bye and winning would’ve only given us another one with a likely horrible start.

Now we play 2nd week up after a bye where we rarely lose and West Coast are severely overrated this year.
Beating up on Essendon isn’t that impressive and like Port, hawks and even we showed earlier this year there is a clear way to beat them.

I’m confident we will be more switched on next week and back in the same position as we would’ve been if we won tonight but with the advantage of not having had a bye.

If we can’t beat West Coast than I might well and truly melt but until than whilst I’m bloody annoyed nothing has been fixed regarding byes, I don’t feel all that bad.

So in hindsight you probably would of been better to forfeit last nights game and Duncan would still be fit for next week... I think you would play better coming off a forfeit rather than a bye !

Very sad and unacceptable. wth was he on about?

ftw I feel your pain. was also targetted at the prelim a year ago, by supporters of your club.

Last edited:
My wife sent me a message and told me Stanley was out and I couldn't believe it. He pushes every forward up into the defensive 50 so when we win the ball there's nobody to kick to. It's why we're forced to go slow in the back half. The first half of the season was a completely different method. Our forwards stayed at home and we moved the ball faster.

It all changed after the Richmond win.
It was a very costly call. You have to play a recognised ruckman, especially against Grundy. It’s just another example of him pulling a selection surprise that has backfired. It’s like the dropping of Menzel for the 17 QF and playing Zac Guthrie, I mean I know Menzel doesn’t defend but Zac Guthrie?

You clawed your way back, but the savage opening inflicted by Collingwood just made it so hard to win. You also missed some very easy set shots. Unfortunately it’ll be another wasted season by the look of it, and really, with so many guns getting older, your window is close to shut.

I think Scott needs to be raked over the coals by his bosses for this.

Back