Preview Geelong Cats v Essendon, AAMI Community Series, Sat 6 Mar 7:10pm @ GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Menegola is a good player. Solid player. But you are dead set wrong. On the wing he gets blown away against the pacey types. We are left flat footed a lot.

He is 100% an Inside Mid or a High Half Forward. Wing is not his best position at all.

I tell you why and its simple, he isn't fast, but he has a strong core in the contest to get the ball above his shoulders and dish out handballs in the contest... and he can mark overhead very good and can lead and lace up a pass or dob goals at 55m. He ain't a winger. You have A-class wingers with Duncan, I Smith, and an emerging Clark. Don't waste his best attributes out there on the Wing. You watch him against fast opponents, he gets burnt away. Put him on the Half Forward, or in the guts, and we will be best served that way. Imho.
1953 called. It wants it views on the wing position returned immediately.

Their, you've said it.
I am going to say this only once this year, fully knowing it will come back to bite me fair and square on the bum.

Here goes...

WTF can't people spell basic words?
Your absolutely right. Their, you've said it. I could of made at the same post.

Get the bad out of the way first: that was an atrocious team performance. The inside midfield was non-existent and highlights the big concern for post Danger and Selwood (who each looked to be going at 25% last night). Merrett and Parish had 69 possessions between them and Caldwell had 24. Our best midfielder was Smith with 25. Most of our possession was in D50. There was no pressure on Essendon as they handballed through the midfield. They looked like a million bucks at times. Having said all of that, I place no weight on the result or the effort levels for this game. Given we only got one match at this standard it was entirely reasonable just to get the game under the belt.

To the individuals of note for me:

- Higgins good again I thought. Just really clean and smart. I don’t regret saying we now have two Mitch Duncans.

- Cameron had an almost game but he just has so much impact and presence even when it doesn’t come off. He’s also much more of a footballer when the ball hits the ground. He can work through traffic and find a teammate unlike a resting ruckman.

- Clark showed us both why we should be excited but also somewhat worried. He does some excellent stuff but at times his decision making and disposal sucks. Hopefully with experience he irons it out. He was heavily involved in the game which was at least a great sign.

- Smith was prolific and will be a big beneficiary of the stationary man on the mark rule, providing nice overlap down the left wing.

- Jenkins I thought was OK in an unsuitable role. He will only ever play there as a last resort.

- Atkins has a lot to like as a back pocket. He has an intensity that has been missing back there for a while. Persist!

- SDK is very exciting. You can see that he grew up as a smaller player given the way he moves and gathers the ball on the ground. I’m not as down on him as a ruckman as others. He will never be a wrestle-sized ruck but there’s no reason he can’t pinch hit there.

- Evans had an immediate impact when he came on. Disappointing that they left it so late. He should have had a better chance to stake his claim for round one. I’ll be annoyed if he’s an emergency.

Overall, it’s a bloody strong 22 and if we don’t finish top 4 given a good run with injuries it will be a big failure.

Firstly you go on about a non existing inside midfield then highlight the players you thought made an impact.
What about that inside mid disruptor Charlie Constable, must have given those Essendon inside mids a bit of currey with 10 in a qtr after watching on for 3/4's of the game?
He'a pretty big unit and looks to have muscled up a bit has Charlie, l'd be seriously trying to squeeze him into the 22 somehow as insurance.

Firstly you go on about a non existing inside midfield then highlight the players you thought made an impact.
What about that inside mid disruptor Charlie Constable, must have given those Essendon inside mids a bit of currey with 10 in a qtr after watching on for 3/4's of the game?
He'a pretty big unit and looks to have muscled up a bit has Charlie, l'd be seriously trying to squeeze him into the 22 some how as insurance.
Barely noticed him. Needs to do more with the 10 he has.

This. His 10 stats were nothing possessions mostly. He’s GHS mark 2. He’ll play 6 games this year. The same numptys who whines about GHS not playing will whine about constable, and will then tell us how much he’ll embarrass us at StKilda in 2022. And the. They’ll go real quiet when he is delisted after a year.

This. His 10 stats were nothing possessions mostly. He’s GHS mark 2. He’ll play 6 games this year. The same numptys who whines about GHS not playing will whine about constable, and will then tell us how much he’ll embarrass us at StKilda in 2022. And the. They’ll go real quiet when he is delisted after a year.
I reckon he has trade currency at the moment

Selwood has been slowing down and in decline for a few years now. 2021 could be his last.
I got a msg first hand from a mate that's gd friends with one of the coaching group 24 hours after the gf loss that.....The skip felt banged up and spent, and was seriously considering retirement in the weeks after the loss.
I hope it won't be that one season too many for Joely boy.Because i am not sure if the MC have the heart or balls to drop or "rest" Sel if his form decline's.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon he has trade currency at the moment
Considering there was minimal interest in him last trade period when he was openly looking and seemingly with support from the club, he may be a rung below trade currency depending on what happens with list sizes

I was at the same, sitting on the wing with a good view of the ground and especially centre square contests which is where we're told Constable is at his best

I saw him come on to start the last quarter, but like you I barely noticed him and was surprised when it was mentioned he picked up 10 disposals

There's some players who attract your attention, your eyes are drawn to - don't really see that with Constable

Probably dumb enough to read the downrampers on here!
I mean going at a 40 game rate isn't good enough all l can do is lol!

And if he played 4 quarters I doubt he gets close to 40 disposals and would probably have finished somewhere around 20 based on his usual game time

He seemingly went hard in the last and got involved, something he had no excuse not to do as he was fresh, but let's not kid ourselves to think it would necessarily have been a repeated effort across the full game

Menegola is a good player. Solid player. But you are dead set wrong. On the wing he gets blown away against the pacey types. We are left flat footed a lot.

He is 100% an Inside Mid or a High Half Forward. Wing is not his best position at all.

I tell you why and its simple, he isn't fast, but he has a strong core in the contest to get the ball above his shoulders and dish out handballs in the contest... and he can mark overhead very good and can lead and lace up a pass or dob goals at 55m. He ain't a winger. You have A-class wingers with Duncan, I Smith, and an emerging Clark. Don't waste his best attributes out there on the Wing. You watch him against fast opponents, he gets burnt away. Put him on the Half Forward, or in the guts, and we will be best served that way. Imho.

I would suggest that based on the 2020 season that Menegola is ranked as the #1 wing in the game, that it probably is his best position and where he should be primarily playing this upcoming season

And if he played 4 quarters I doubt he gets close to 40 disposals and would probably have finished somewhere around 20 based on his usual game time

He seemingly went hard in the last and got involved, something he had no excuse not to do as he was fresh, but let's not kid ourselves to think it would necessarily have been a repeated effort across the full game

Chrystal ball time ...the bias is actually sickening.

Me either wasn't turning it over not costing us goals not butchering the ball or giving away free kicks,yep needs to do more with it,like putting Dangerfield,Parfitt,Miers Tuohy Guthrie into space.

Chrystal ball time ...the bias is actually sickening.
By the same token, Clark & Stewart each had 11 disposals in the last quarter

So going by your metric Stewart should have 44 disposals as he played all 4 quarters, while Clark should have had 33 as he only played 3 quarters

Stewart finished with 28 disposals from a full match, Clark with 29 from three quarters

So no bias as at, rather just pointing out the basics in that you can't simply extrapolate the efforts of 1 quarter and assume they would be replicated across the other 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back