Preview Geelong Cats v Essendon, AAMI Community Series, Sat 6 Mar 7:10pm @ GMHBA Stadium

bombersboy

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Menegola is a good player. Solid player. But you are dead set wrong. On the wing he gets blown away against the pacey types. We are left flat footed a lot.

He is 100% an Inside Mid or a High Half Forward. Wing is not his best position at all.

I tell you why and its simple, he isn't fast, but he has a strong core in the contest to get the ball above his shoulders and dish out handballs in the contest... and he can mark overhead very good and can lead and lace up a pass or dob goals at 55m. He ain't a winger. You have A-class wingers with Duncan, I Smith, and an emerging Clark. Don't waste his best attributes out there on the Wing. You watch him against fast opponents, he gets burnt away. Put him on the Half Forward, or in the guts, and we will be best served that way. Imho.
I think he gets lost at high half forward as well. You are right about his pace but the thing that will play into Menegola's hands this year is the reduction in rotations. This will make his exceptional endurance a weapon late in quarters and in games.

Big little cat

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
I wouldn’t be too quick to write him off just yet, is he really going to be doing anything in a pre season game ? He just getting the Kms in his legs

it’s a long year
Mate, believe me, I never want Joel to miss a center bounce. The sheer number of games he has won for the hoops off his own back is unbelievable. But even the very, very best slow down a little over time. And concurrently the AFL rules activity encourages run and spread. It is sad, but the club will need to start the transition of the key mid position .

BennyGan

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
seeing a few people concerned about the performance last night, just like to point out that we have the worst record of all the teams in the preseason over the last 6 years so there's no need for panic yet. remember a couple years ago we lost to the suns by like 10 goals. good thing is we appear to have gotten through the game injury free.

bombersboy

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Overall observation from last night

1. Our plan seems to be to follow the game plan we had last year. Try and control the ball with patient build up. Don't know how that will stack up against sides looking to go quicker. We will be even more suspect against sides with genuine leg speed.

2. I suspect we will struggle against a side that has a couple of genuine key forwards. Harry was such a smart footballer. Even last year when he was basically cooked he negated bigger forwards. Harry was also our on field general down back and I cannot pick who steps into that role. Perhaps Tom Stewart.

3. Evans (based on a limited view) looks to me to be a genuine footballer. Just has footy smarts and is a genuine small forward. At 20 years of age has a body that I can easily see developing into the same build as the number 35 without Chappy's agro. Can kick goals from the arc and looks to be one touch in close. Don't know what his leap is like. If he can jump will bring back more memories of Chappy moving forward. We need to get games into him which is going to be difficult as the competition for a spot in a forward pocket or flank will be hot.

4. Getting games into younger players in general will be difficult. Getting the balance right, managing egos and having players buy into a team first strategy that means older players either rest or play seconds some weeks to enable that development will be a test for the coaching panel.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Seemed a definite tactic when the ball was in our forward half, and especially when it was a quicker player like Rohan or Smith who'd be standing the mark - they kept their distance so they could move or even run at the player if play-on was called

Some of the taller guys like SDK seemed to stand the mark more often, maybe as that aren't as quick over the first couple of steps

We did seem more likely to "stand" in the defensive half of the ground - can't help but think that with how obvious it was when watching from the stand, that it was something out a team tactic, and discussions at team meetings
It certainly confused Brad Johnson on 2 or 3 occasions, railing at the umps for calling "play on" when the kicker hadn't actually left his line - but not realising that it was because they'd crossed the mark.

It's interesting watching last night's match versus our practice match against Collingwood - the first quarter against Collingwood we definitely looked to move the ball quicker, tried to take advantage of the 'stand' rule by handballing to the player running past and keeping things moving

So we obviously have looked at options over the summer and spent time trialling different things

Think we'll see a combination of both the quicker ball movement and then the go slow option, just might depend on the opposition, how the game is playing out etc

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
It's interesting watching last night's match versus our practice match against Collingwood - the first quarter against Collingwood we definitely looked to move the ball quicker, tried to take advantage of the 'stand' rule by handballing to the player running past and keeping things moving

So we obviously have looked at options over the summer and spent time trialling different things

Think we'll see a combination of both the quicker ball movement and then the go slow option, just might depend on the opposition, how the game is playing out etc

I can see how and why our boys look out of sync at times during the season. Some say 'go' while others say 'woah' and then we throw newbies into the mix........

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong

The 'go slow' approach requires skill in hitting up a target, and a few of our guys....?.....well, let's just say I'd be confident facing them as a firing squad.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
Agree with part a) I thought between the arch's we looked slow and the bombers who are a fast side, opened up the game even on the tight confides of kardinia park.

We looked good fwd of centre, which kept us in front, Cameron, hawk and Rohan looked great, I thought that would be our biggest problem, but it looks like a strength.

I'd move Higgins to half back to use his kicking skills, also liked Atkins back, can't see kolo fitting into the back six

Where does the club play Joel? And how many 50s will he give away on the mark, he was very close numerous times last night because he's so competive he can't stay still.

Also I've noticed a trend in dangers game, where after being critised for playing too up tempo and playing flat out, after he marks he now goes too slow and takes too much time.
What I liked was
1- fwd line cohesion
2- Clark
3- Atkins
What I didn't like was
1- cut up between the arch's
2- blix outpointed down back in marking contests
3- midfield

Overall observation from last night

1. Our plan seems to be to follow the game plan we had last year. Try and control the ball with patient build up. Don't know how that will stack up against sides looking to go quicker. We will be even more suspect against sides with genuine leg speed.

2. I suspect we will struggle against a side that has a couple of genuine key forwards. Harry was such a smart footballer. Even last year when he was basically cooked he negated bigger forwards. Harry was also our on field general down back and I cannot pick who steps into that role. Perhaps Tom Stewart.

3. Evans (based on a limited view) looks to me to be a genuine footballer. Just has footy smarts and is a genuine small forward. At 20 years of age has a body that I can easily see developing into the same build as the number 35 without Chappy's agro. Can kick goals from the arc and looks to be one touch in close. Don't know what his leap is like. If he can jump will bring back more memories of Chappy moving forward. We need to get games into him which is going to be difficult as the competition for a spot in a forward pocket or flank will be hot.

4. Getting games into younger players in general will be difficult. Getting the balance right, managing egos and having players buy into a team first strategy that means older players either rest or play seconds some weeks to enable that development will be a test for the coaching panel.

He'd want to improve on what he showed last night.
At no stage did he get out of first gear, didn't put any pressure on his man
This could easily be a description of Dangerfield last night.

I can see how and why our boys look out of sync at times during the season. Some say 'go' while others say 'woah' and then we throw newbies into the mix........

I commented at quarter time that we seemed intent to go and play on at nearly every opportunity, even when it wasn't the right decision

At one stage Clark got a free kick in the defensive 50 and he didn't really even get behind the mark before he took off, ran 5/10m and threw the ball on the boot hitting an Essendon player on the chest - not sure who he was aiming for as they really wasn't a teammate in the vicinity of the kick. I don't think he really looked up before he took off, so he may not have had the best idea of what was ahead

Think he did something similar when he took a kick out, ran he 15m and then kicked long to no one but Essendon players

That's not to pick on Clark - I like how he is willing to take the game on, break lines and provide a point of difference, and with experience will come improved decision making in those situations

Playing on is all well & good, but it's knowing when to go and when to pull it back - if the opposition has had a period of dominance, that's sometimes when you want to try and control things for a few minutes, keep the ball out of their hands

This could easily be a description of Dangerfield last night.
Danger at least put on some defensive pressure, Sam was just jogging up and down the field not doing anything of note

Agree with part a) I thought between the arch's we looked slow and the bombers who are a fast side, opened up the game even on the tight confides of kardinia park.

We looked good fwd of centre, which kept us in front, Cameron, hawk and Rohan looked great, I thought that would be our biggest problem, but it looks like a strength.

I'd move Higgins to half back to use his kicking skills, also liked Atkins back, can't see kolo fitting into the back six

Where does the club play Joel? And how many 50s will he give away on the mark, he was very close numerous times last night because he's so competive he can't stay still.

Also I've noticed a trend in dangers game, where after being critised for playing too up tempo and playing flat out, after he marks he now goes too slow and takes too much time.
What I liked was
1- fwd line cohesion
2- Clark
3- Atkins
What I didn't like was
3- midfield

Joel was fine as he wasn't actually on the mark - guys like Rohan, Smith and Joel were coming back 5m from the mark so that they could jump, move and do something other than stand still on the mark

Once outside the 5m zone, don't need to stand

I would suggest that based on the 2020 season that Menegola is ranked as the #1 wing in the game, that it probably is his best position and where he should be primarily playing this upcoming season

I think theres an argument as to for example (as good as Menegola is)whether you should play quicker guys like smith and clark as your wingers to move the ball quicker and menegola say more forward..but when you are covering a defence that is slow on the deck having a player with elite endurance who is a good mark to get back and fill the d50 hole means Menegola is essential on a wing in our gameplan unless we change the gameplan. That said he is best 22 in just about any side in the comp currently..good footballer.

The challenge for Higgins and Smith is to still be playing well in September with 20 games under the belt. They were always going to play well early in the season. Falling away at the end of the year is the concern with them.

I agree but we have good enough depth in the 22-30 spots thar we should be able to rest them here and there so they are fresh..say only 17 games then hit finals full of steam.

What I liked was
1- fwd line cohesion
2- Clark
3- Atkins
What I didn't like was
3- midfield

I like the higgins back option but not sure if they will reinvent him there at 34. The way i see it the 3 best kicks in our team (in non talls as hendo is a very good kick) are duncan higgins and clark...if we are serious about improving our ball movement from half back one of them needs to play HBF a fair bit..we have enough depth in wing (smith menegola) and half forwards that we can cover not having them there. Whether Scarlo is prepared to drop one of his favoured back 6 to make this change is a concern i have.

Danger at least put on some defensive pressure, Sam was just jogging up and down the field not doing anything of note
I struggle to think of a more lazy effort than Danger last night.

Heckler

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Difficult to gauge performance in dead games.
Played bruise free footy / just get some game fitness.
Kittens pushed for notice / Old Cats went through the motions.

Backline : The usual suspects slowing play too often
Needs run and urgency in ball movement.
Adkins looked lively will be a back-line fixture
Players went forward and kicked goals
Midfield : Playing too wide too often / not presenting options down the guts
Allowed opposition to control square
Lack of midfield pressure put pressure on defenders
Linked effectively with key forwards
Fowards : Looked dangerous
Took advantage of limited opportunity
Will improve cohesion with familiarity
General : New guys looked good
Kittens looked promising
Players in unfamiliar roles need more work
Improved player depth will allow player management
Kittens will push for opportunity
Same Game Plan as last season

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd take Menegola off the wing. Play him a High Half Forward, with short stints at centre bounces. He ain't quick enough on the wing, even though he can run all day, we will be better served with pace - Duncan, I Smith, Clark - that's all star wingers right there ;)
Menegolas an ordinary half foward flanker. He is however one of the best wingman in the comp. his good form last year occured because we finally moved him off the foward flank and put him on the centre line.

Back