Preview Geelong Cats v Essendon, AAMI Community Series, Sat 6 Mar 7:10pm @ GMHBA Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

9 March 2020 in Colac, is when we last faced Essendon in a preseason match and it's the date of the last AFL match in Victoria in which fans were able to attend; well worth the drive even if we lost that day

363 days on and we will again face Essendon in a pre-season match, this time at Geelong and once again we'll have fans in attendance at one of our matches in Vic

For those wondering how to acquire ticket for next weeks match:

THE AFL is pleased to announce tickets for the 2021 AAMI Community Series will go on sale from Monday March 1, 2021.

Competing Club members and AFL members will receive free entry to these games, however, will be required to redeem a $0 ticket via the ticket agent listed below in advance of the match for entry.

This is to ensure each AAMI Community Series venue is COVID-safe.

For the general public, tickets are $20 for adults and $15 for concession. Children aged under 15 are free but still require a $0 ticket to enter a venue.

Ticket on-sale times
Monday, March 1 - Members 12pm, General Public 3pm (local time)

Geelong Cats v Essendon, GMHBA Stadium – ticketmaster.com.au

And hopefully unlike the debacle that was the missing email for yesterdays match, members will have received an email from the club regarding tickets for next week - as per that information:

AFL footy is back!
As a 2021 Geelong Cats Member, you will be able to redeem a complimentary ticket to the 2021 AAMI Community Series match V Essendon at GMHBA Stadium.

Member ticketing details are now confirmed for our clash V Essendon on Saturday 6 March 2021. You will have access to redeem one (1) complimentary reserved seat ticket per eligible Membership plus up to two additional full priced tickets. There is a limit of six (6) tickets per transaction.

Member Pre-sale:

From 12.00 pm (AEDT) Monday 1 March 2021

Tickets will be available via Ticketmaster*. You will need your 12-digit barcode number listed below to access the pre-sale and redeem your complimentary ticket. You can also purchase additional tickets, fees and charges may apply.

Please note:
  • All attendees must obtain a ticket in advance of the match via Ticketmaster (subject to availability*) (including juniors under the age of 15)
  • Tickets are available for purchase online only and not available at GMHBA Stadium
  • Due to Covid requirements, Members cannot scan their Membership at the gate for general admission entry
  • If purchasing tickets on behalf of family and friends we encourage the use of the Ticketmaster's ticket forwarding function to support effective contact tracing and ease of entry at the gate
  • Have a question? Check out our FAQs

Is it a 26 man team for this game?
Got to play the best 22-24 players available in our final hitout.
5 players from the GF are unavailable (Taylor, Ablett, Duncan, Simpson, Dahlhaus). That's 5 changes to our best 22 right there, plus the 4 extra subs.
Cameron, Higgins, Smith play I'd imagine, so that leaves 6 players we'll look at.
Evans, Constable, Zuthrie, Atkins probably play after seeing the practice match. That leaves 2 more place. Clark, Narkle, Savrat, Jenkins, Close, Krueger, Neale, Stevens ?

Last edited:
Don't know about Zuthrie no chance rd1 in my book and if they don't know what he does or doesn't bring to the table now they never will,lets look at someone else.

I think "they" do know...it might be us who don't.

I accept it was just a practice match, but if Zuthrie keeps putting in like he did last week, he'll be asking the question. He played very well I thought,

His delivery by foot was a feature. Let's see how he goes against the Dons.

I accept it was just a practice match, but if Zuthrie keeps putting in like he did last week, he'll be asking the question. He played very well I thought,

There are some that would see him day in day out, certainly seems to indicate they like what they see and , although it may take time, they are willing to give him that time. I certainly believe there is more to player being kept and delisted tnan what we see on the ground.

My issue would be, the same as I percieve with a few of our guys. He may be a good bloke and a hand piece of the puzzle. In a side over flowing with guns, one loves players like that. In a side made form jigsaw players, the side starts to look very 2 dimensional. Does he have something special enough to seperate him from the others were bring in each year. I cant see him in our best 22 but I have lost count at the times I have been wrong....but id bet that our first pick Holmes will get more games in 2021 than zac ( all thing being equal with player fit etc).... as Holmes has extraordinary running talent..a bit like we gave game to MOC.

Still , players pop up . Evans will be more on peoples tongue after last week. Id wonder when we will see Tarheny get a game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy to answer. No.

He is so easily replaceable. Just a keep in case of injury reserve.

I don't know about that.
Most of us were saying the same thing about Simpson this time last year.

I still see him as a depth player, but if he plays like he did the other day on a consistent basis, he could well surprise us.

Make or break year for Zuthrie this year, and he's not the type to die wondering.

He's a platinum member at the Andrew Mackie memorial gym.
Mack and Zach hard at it
LoathsomeSillyFairybluebird-size_restricted.gif

I don't know about that.
Most of us were saying the same thing about Simpson this time last year.

I still see him as a depth player, but if he plays like he did the other day on a consistent basis, he could well surprise us.

Make or break year for Zuthrie this year, and he's not the type to die wondering.
He's had plenty of opportunity. He will never be anything more than mediocre injury cover.

Simpson took his chances. Zuth never has.

There are some that would see him day in day out, certainly seems to indicate they like what they see and , although it may take time, they are willing to give him that time. I certainly believe there is more to player being kept and delisted tnan what we see on the ground.

My issue would be, the same as I percieve with a few of our guys. He may be a good bloke and a hand piece of the puzzle. In a side over flowing with guns, one loves players like that. In a side made form jigsaw players, the side starts to look very 2 dimensional. Does he have something special enough to seperate him from the others were bring in each year. I cant see him in our best 22 but I have lost count at the times I have been wrong....but id bet that our first pick Holmes will get more games in 2021 than zac ( all thing being equal with player fit etc).... as Holmes has extraordinary running talent..a bit like we gave game to MOC.

Still , players pop up . Evans will be more on peoples tongue after last week. Id wonder when we will see Tarheny get a game
I think there is zero chance of Holmes playing Seniors this year. He was 73 kgs when recruited at 189cms, just way too light a frame.

I think there is zero chance of Holmes playing Seniors this year. He was 73 kgs when recruited at 189cms, just way too light a frame.
What weight was MOC when he played his first game?

Geelong is such hard side to get a game in the likely hood is low..but I see him being more likely to be played early because we like players who can run

To me he's always looked good in the pre-season, it's transferring that level of performance into the regular season.

Hopefully he can.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back