Unofficial Preview Geelong Cats V Hawthorn Rd 1 -

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crowds should include a few more neutrals this year as expectations of a closer game are higher than last year.
More Cats fans should make the journey to the big smoke to see their prized recruit and savior.
Lets hope the weather is good.
Flying all the way from Brisbane for the game, let's hope it's a good one :thumbsu:

WWSD or any other Hawks fan for that matter, could you please put up a probable Hawks team for round 1 so that us Geelong supporters can get an idea of how your team will look on paper?

Thanks in advance. :)

Likely changes

IN: Brand, Hartung, Howe, Sicily, Ceglar
OUT: Lake (retired), Hale (retired), Suckling (Free Agency), Shiels (injured), Roughead (injured)

New:
Kaiden Brand (21)

Predicted line-up

B: Stratton, Frawley, Duryea

HB: Birchall, Brand, Gibson

C: Hill, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Burgoyne, Schoenmakers, Rioli

F: Puopolo, Gunston, Breust

R: McEvoy, Hodge, Lewis

INT: Hartung, Howe, Ceglar, Sicily

EMG: Whitecross, O'Rourke, Litherland

There's no doubt that our line-up will be significantly weaker then the one that took on West Coast last season in October. Losing your full back and full forward makes the task of winning much harder. As much as I'd love to see the Hawks win on Monday next week, I think Geelong will get the 4 points.

Most indications do point towards a Geelong win. The Cats are much closer to their best 22 then the Hawks. Geelong also have about a 4 week preparation/head start compared to Hawthorn and go into this game in solid form after an impressive pre-season hit-out. The inclusion of Menzel and Duncan (who both didn't play in Round 20 last season), plus the new recruits in Dangerfield, Henderson and Smith fill the missing pieces of the puzzle and strengthen Geelong's line-up.

Likely changes

OUT: Lake (retired), Hale (retired), Suckling (Free Agency), Shiels (injured), Roughead (injured)

New:
Kaiden Brand (21)

Predicted line-up

There's no doubt that our line-up will be significantly weaker then the one that took on West Coast last season in October. Losing your full back and full forward makes the task of winning much harder. As much as I'd love to see the Hawks win on Monday next week, I think Geelong will get the 4 points.

Most indications do point towards a Geelong win. The Cats are much closer to their best 22 then the Hawks. Geelong also have about a 4 week preparation/head start compared to Hawthorn and go into this game in solid form after an impressive pre-season hit-out. The inclusion of Menzel and Duncan (who both didn't play in Round 20 last season), plus the new recruits in Dangerfield, Henderson and Smith fill the missing pieces of the puzzle and strengthen Geelong's line-up.
With due respect to the reigning triple premiers, if we can't knock off that listed side we are probably not as good as we hope.

I think he showed a lot last year but his pre-season has been a touch disappointing. He misses purely due to matchup concerns for mine. I do worry though that he could quickly become disillusioned if not given a substantial go in the seniors. He should come back in soon enough.

You don't think Gunston would be a perfect match for him?

With due respect to the reigning triple premiers, if we can't knock off that listed side we are probably not as good as we hope.

We lost to Essendon and Greater Western Sydney last season. If it comes right down to the wire and the Cats lose, I don't think it's panic stations or anything like that.

Geelong has a relatively young squad. Apart from Lonergan, Taylor and Bartel who are past their best, most of the Cats best 22 are 27 years of age and under with plenty of room for improvement to come. Sometimes it can take a while for new players to gel in a new environment.

In saying that, Dangerfield has been superb during the pre-season games. Geelong's line-up will be vastly different with Johnson, Stokes, Kelly, Rivers, Simpson, Walker all departing and with new players coming in and other players coming back from long-term injuries like McCarthy, Menzel, Cowan and co.

Irrespective of who wins next week, it's not really a true indication of form yet. We might get a better idea of where both teams are at come Round 10 or 11.

Geelong's list is in better shape compared to this time last season and should improve and finish in the top 8 with a healthy list to choose from.

Likely changes

New:
Kaiden Brand (21)

Predicted line-up

WWSD
Thanks for the input first of all and as always I hope you feel completely welcome here.

There has been some chatter around of late regarding our taller set ups - especially forward with Hawkins/Vardy and then Smith and Stanley either resting forward or pushing forward.

Given Frawley goes to Hawkins, does Brand go to Vardy you think? And also, who is the next tallest to go to Stanley or Smith or will it be Mcevoy to follow the ruck around the ground so to speak.

I guess Im thinking back to the 2011 days when your back 6 was more susceptible to height. Clearly as the unit got better they covered that with the 3rd man work and playing as a unit better - and clearly what a unit they became. Now some of those pieces are no longer there or as young as they were, is this becoming an area of concern again against a taller forward line?

As for the game, im not sure we'll get the chocolates but I do expect it back to a close, hard game as we are used to.

GO Catters

Likely changes

New:
Kaiden Brand (21)

Predicted line-up

Much closer to our best 22? Aren't you only missing two players from it unless I'm missing someone? We are missing four top 22 players this week and our captain is seriously underdone on top of that.

Crowds should include a few more neutrals this year as expectations of a closer game are higher than last year.
More Cats fans should make the journey to the big smoke to see their prized recruit and savior.
Lets hope the weather is good.

Hail ye Lord Smith, who will ruck us to the holy lands!

Much closer to our best 22? Aren't you only missing two players from it unless I'm missing someone? We are missing four top 22 players this week and our captain is seriously underdone on top of that.
S.Selwood and Thurlow. That's 2 players.

Could argue Clark and Cockatoo would be best 22 if fit and available, probably where the 4 comes from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cocky easily. Will be a top 10 player by the end of the season. Clark too if you want to count theoretical best teams where everyone is injury free.
Clark I'm not even backing him to play another senior game for the club.

Cockatoo as it stands imo is still fringe. Not a clear cut best 22.

Not yet. Gunstan I think probably has too many smarts. Henderson or Mackie for me. Even Taylor could be used if necessary.

Yeah possibly, only one way to find out though I guess and that's give the kid a shot, if he's going to be our third tall defender, hopefully for the next decade or so, there's no point in hiding him from the better forwards, especially given he looked quite comfortable in the role last year.

What I'd hate to see is him being stuffed around, in and out of the side, or being asked to play a role he's not suited for simply to accommodate another (unnecessary) KPD.

Clark I'm not even backing him to play another senior game for the club.

Cockatoo as it stands imo is still fringe. Not a clear cut best 22.
You will be blown away by cockys transformation this year if you think he is still fringe. Clark may not play another game but still, if he is injury free (both physically and mentally) then he is clearly ahead of Vardy. I agree he probably won't ever be that way again though. Plenty said the same about Menzel though.

Cocky easily. Will be a top 10 player by the end of the season. Clark too if you want to count theoretical best teams where everyone is injury free.

You will be blown away by cockys transformation this year if you think he is still fringe. Clark may not play another game but still, if he is injury free (both physically and mentally) then he is clearly ahead of Vardy. I agree he probably won't ever be that way again though. Plenty said the same about Menzel though.

Can't see it as yet myself, bloody well hope you're right though, if he comes on that fast the ceiling will be the limit for him, plus I might be tempted to put a Shekel or two on us for this years flag.

WWSD
Thanks for the input first of all and as always I hope you feel completely welcome here.

There has been some chatter around of late regarding our taller set ups - especially forward with Hawkins/Vardy and then Smith and Stanley either resting forward or pushing forward.

Given Frawley goes to Hawkins, does Brand go to Vardy you think? And also, who is the next tallest to go to Stanley or Smith or will it be Mcevoy to follow the ruck around the ground so to speak.

I guess Im thinking back to the 2011 days when your back 6 was more susceptible to height. Clearly as the unit got better they covered that with the 3rd man work and playing as a unit better - and clearly what a unit they became. Now some of those pieces are no longer there or as young as they were, is this becoming an area of concern again against a taller forward line?

As for the game, im not sure we'll get the chocolates but I do expect it back to a close, hard game as we are used to.

GO Catters

If Brand plays he'll likely get matched up on Vardy with Gibson possibly taking Geelong's resting ruckman.

As for the ruck set-up, last week Ceglar spent most of the time in the ruck playing on Goldstein. I'd say McEvoy is the one who will likely play that forward/second ruck role while Ceglar does the bulk of the work in the center.

It will be an interesting battle in the ruck this time with Geelong now having 2 rucks in the same line-up.

Ceglar and Smith put up fairly similar numbers/stats last season. Zac Smith though is fairly mobile for his height and can kick goals.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back