Game Day Geelong Cats v North Melbourne, Round 21 - 19:25 AEST, Aug 10, 2019.

GEE v NM: Who will win?

• Geelong by 30+

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Geelong under 30pts

• North under 30pts

• North by 30+

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpires have kicked more goals for the Cats than anyone in a Geelong guernsey have.
Massive lol at the Geelong fans in here struggling to come up with a defense for their charity run. Pathetic
If the Cats need assistance to get over 13th, it's going to be another unsuccessful September
Maybe that’s why they get the umps’ charity, they feel bad that they have to train and live with the numpts in that ugly city
Good qtr from the umps, they were a tad down in the 1st but lifted their game and got geelong the lead...
They need to concentrate on getting charity from the umps like geelong have.
What a stinging and witty reply. I and many others I’m sure will now definitely change our minds on how much assistance you were gifted to hustle in a commanding 2 goal lead against the team 13th on the ladder
Cunnington being held before the ball even gets near him. This is laughable.
Quoted for posterity

So...did Geelong just defend brilliantly or did North simply have issues getting the ball 10 metres before losing it?
Conditions helped a bit, notice both sides were very inaccurate, but also played into the cats hands a bit. Cats defend aerial contests well so North were never getting much from Brown or Larkey when the rain came in.

That said I expected to lose this one given they have some serious contested possession winners and when we lose that stat we lose.

The mind blowing thing for me is that the cats have 4 recognised rucks - Stanley, Smith, Abbott, and Fort. Not a single one of them played and we looked better in the clearances than we ever have

Unfortunately for Geelong, no disrespect to them, but I don't see this being a definite return to form. Until they beat a better team than us I still can't trust them after that loss to Freo. Much improved team win but we're pretty s**t.

Conditions helped a bit, notice both sides were very inaccurate, but also played into the cats hands a bit. Cats defend aerial contests well so North were never getting much from Brown or Larkey when the rain came in.

That said I expected to lose this one given they have some serious contested possession winners and when we lose that stat we lose.

The mind blowing thing for me is that the cats have 4 recognised rucks - Stanley, Smith, Abbott, and Fort. Not a single one of them played and we looked better in the clearances than we ever have

Against Goldstein too, whereas Stanley and Smith have been letting lesser opponents to Goldstein be the opposition's most influential player for the past two months.

Was probably worth a try sooner really, with Henderson rotting in the VFL. Granted he hadn't been setting the world on fire when he had been getting chances in the firsts, but when the options are Stanley or Smith as ruck, Blicavs in defence and Henderson and Smith/Stanley in the VFL, or Blicavs in the ruck, Henderson in defence and Smith/Stanley in the VFL, I think it's at least a discussion.

Against Goldstein too, whereas Stanley and Smith have been letting lesser opponents to Goldstein be the opposition's most influential player for the past two months.

Was probably worth a try sooner really, with Henderson rotting in the VFL. Granted he hadn't been setting the world on fire when he had been getting chances in the firsts, but when the options are Stanley or Smith as ruck, Blicavs in defence and Henderson and Smith/Stanley in the VFL, or Blicavs in the ruck, Henderson in defence and Smith/Stanley in the VFL, I think it's at least a discussion.
As far as rucks go Blitz will win more hit outs than Shaun Grigg, and when it hits the ground he's back to being a b&f midfielder. May as well stick with it

I see a lot of Ablett Jnr in the way Quinton Narkle moves.

Great performance from him in his first senior game of the year - 21 disposals (9 contested, 81% disposal efficiency, 380 metres gained), 6 clearances, 4 tackles, 8 score involvements, 2 goals, in just 63% gametime.

Both he and Brandon Parfitt add another dynamic element to the Cats' midfield if they can stay fit. Both have the ability to win the ball in the contest and tackle hard, but also have explosive pace and good footy brains too.

Unfortunately for Geelong, no disrespect to them, but I don't see this being a definite return to form. Until they beat a better team than us I still can't trust them after that loss to Freo. Much improved team win but we're pretty s**t.
We’ll get a good idea next week playing Brisbane at the Gabba.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Roos were in form a few weeks aho and then this? What on earth happened? 14? 14 in 2019? What does this say about the Roos and Shaw?
The dead cat is no longer bouncing. Can confirm it is 100% stationary. North Melbourne are suck.

I see a lot of Ablett Jnr in the way Quinton Narkle moves.

Great performance from him in his first senior game of the year - 21 disposals (9 contested, 81% disposal efficiency, 380 metres gained), 6 clearances, 4 tackles, 8 score involvements, 2 goals, in just 63% gametime.

Both he and Brandon Parfitt add another dynamic element to the Cats' midfield if they can stay fit. Both have the ability to win the ball in the contest and tackle hard, but also have explosive pace and good footy brains too.

Narkle should have had three at least and probably four, he sprayed a very easy chance on the run in the first and then a routine set shot from about 35-40 out in the third.

Not Parfitt's best game: he also missed an absolute sitter (anyone sensing a pattern here? Thank God for Grrrrrryan) at an important time and gave away one or two senseless free kicks when we had an attack going, but you can always count on him to do some important work around the contest. I think Geelong looks better with him in the side.

I don't know. Scoreboard doesn't reflect the intensity North brought. North put up a better fight than Freo and have a very good contested side. We've been deplorable at contested work for months. Cats looked different last night putting themselves on the line to win the contest, running harder to pressure, and running harder up field to create. It did look like a bit of a return to early season operating standards but for scoring accuracy.

Whether our early season form is good enough to compete in September is still a question though let alone whether we've hit that level.

giantroo I know it's cruel asking you to sit through and video review an one goal game... any chance you'd be doing it early this week so we get some idea if any cats players are in trouble? Thanks muchly ! :)

giantroo I know it's cruel asking you to sit through and video review an one goal game... any chance you'd be doing it early this week so we get some idea if any cats players are in trouble? Thanks muchly ! :)
Sitting through it once was enough.

Quoted for posterity
Was embarrassing reading this thread last night.
Dropkick oppo fans genuinely believing we were getting a ride from the umps. North won the free kick count lol.

Was embarrassing reading this thread last night.
Dropkick oppo fans genuinely believing we were getting a ride from the umps. North won the free kick count lol.

We got the better of the absolute howlers; North had the rub of the green with the iffy calls. On balance, North didn't do too badly, but everyone's just going to remember the Hawkins free and the Ziebell non-free.

We got the better of the absolute howlers; North had the rub of the green with the iffy calls. On balance, North didn't do too badly, but everyone's just going to remember the Hawkins free and the Ziebell non-free.
That's fair. Did pop in for a read of North's view of the game.
I can't see how you can blame the umps for losing when you score 1 goal.

Back