Game Day Geelong Cats v West Coast Eagles - Semi Finals - Fri 13 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong Cats v West Coast Eagles - Semi Finals - Fri 13 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Geelong-vs-WCE.png

WLWLWLWL - LWWWWLLW

FREE for 14 days:
Stream the game LIVE to any device.

Tip the game now - win cash 'n' prizes

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

Thread Rules:
* No umpire complaining until after the game.
* Rioli stuff goes in the S&R board thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...tampering-with-a-drug-testing-sample.1228249/

GEELONG CATS

B: Jake Kolodjashnij, Mark Blicavs, Jack Henry
HB: Mark O'Connor, Harry Taylor, Tom Stewart
C: Cameron Guthrie, Patrick Dangerfield, Joel Selwood
HF: Gary Ablett, Esava Ratugolea, Tom Atkins
F: Luke Dahlhaus, Tom Hawkins, Gryan Miers
FOL: Rhys Stanley, Brandan Parfitt, Tim Kelly
I/C: Zach Tuohy, Sam Menegola, Quinton Narkle, Jed Bews

EMG: Scott Selwood, Zac Smith, James Parsons, Lachie Henderson

IN: Cameron Guthrie, Rhys Stanley
OUT: Mitch Duncan (Injured), Gary Rohan (Injured)

WEST COAST EAGLES

B: Tom Barrass, Will Schofield, Brad Sheppard
HB: Shannon Hurn, Jeremy McGovern, Lewis Jetta
C: Jack Redden, Elliot Yeo, Andrew Gaff
HF: Jamie Cripps, Jack Darling, Chris Masten
F: Jack Petruccelle, Josh J. Kennedy, Liam Ryan
FOL: Nic Naitanui, Luke Shuey, Dom Sheed
I/C: Jake Waterman, Tom Hickey, Jackson Nelson, Mark Hutchings

EMG: Oscar Allen, Liam Duggan, Nathan Vardy, Brendon Ah Chee

IN: Jack Petruccelle
OUT: Willie Rioli (Suspension)

Geelong Cats
Average Per Game
West Coast Eagles
217.1​
Kicks​
227.1​
147.4​
Handballs​
127​
364.5​
Disposals​
354.1​
90​
Marks​
99.6​
13​
Goals​
13​
10.7​
Behinds​
9.7​
23.7​
Scoring Shots​
22.7​
67​
Tackles​
58.2​
36.8​
Hitouts​
36.1​
18.9​
Frees For​
18.7​
17.5​
Frees Against​
18.9​
9.6​
Goal Assists​
8.8​
51.9​
Inside 50s​
50.7​
150.8​
Contested Possessions​
136.2​
208.1​
Uncontested Possessions​
213.6​
260​
Effective Disposals​
257.2​
71.30%​
Disposal Efficiency %​
72.60%​
53.2​
Clangers​
52.6​
12.1​
Contested Marks​
11.6​
12.1​
Marks Inside 50​
11​
40.3​
Clearances​
39.8​
11.9​
Centre Clearances​
12.3​
28.4​
Stoppage Clearances​
27.5​
39.1​
Rebound 50s​
39.2​
51.6​
One Percenters​
57.4​
4.2​
Bounces​
5.7​
1.47​
Kick to Handball Ratio​
1.79​
54.90%​
Conversion​
57.30%​
28.04​
Disposals Per Goal​
27.24​
15.38​
Disposals Per Scoring Shot​
15.6​
5701.6​
Metres Gained​
5474.1​
68​
Turnovers​
68.4​
69.4​
Intercepts​
65.9​
10.6​
Tackles Inside 50​
9.2​

6 Most Recent Meetings

Date
Home v Away Teams
Result
Venue
Round 6, 28 Apr 2019​
Geelong defeats West Coast​
104-46​
GMHBA Stadium​
Round 3, 8 Apr 2018​
West Coast defeats Geelong​
95-80​
Optus Stadium​
Round 13, 15 Jun 2017​
83-70​
Domain Stadium​
Round 7, 7 May 2016​
123-79​
GMHBA Stadium​
Round 9, 31 May 2015​
120-64​
Domain Stadium​
Round 4, 12 Apr 2014​
107-32​
GMHBA Stadium​

finals-fixture-image-sf.jpg

Where and when: MCG, Friday September 13, 7.50pm AEST

TV, radio and online: Click here for broadcast guide

What it means for Geelong:
Avoiding the dreaded 'straight sets' exit. After yet another poor first quarter last week against Collingwood, the Cats managed their lowest score (51) of the season. Finding more avenues to goal is the only way they can keep their season alive against and outfit that has.

What it means for West Coast: Winning the chance to get another crack at Richmond. The Eagles will still be smarting over the six-point loss to the Tigers in round 22 and beating the Cats will earn them a re-match in a preliminary final. Once holding fears at the MCG, the Eagles have now won five of their past six at the venue.

The stat: 124. The amount of contested possessions the Eagles collected against the Cats in their 58-point loss in round six – their heaviest of the season. It was the Eagles' third lowest contested-possession count of 2019.

The match-up: Gary Ablett v Brad Sheppard
Ablett torched the Eagles with 28 disposals and two goals to be best on ground in their previous meeting. The No.5 ranked midfielder/forward in the Official AFL Player Ratings won't be afforded the same space on Friday night, with the Eagles expected to send their best defensive stopper to the Little Master. Sheppard will be studying the job Brayden Maynard did on Ablett last week, limiting him to his least effective output of the season.

Expect Brad Sheppard to be sent to modern-day great Gary Ablett. Picture: AFL Photos

712177_lp.jpg

It's a big week for:
Chris Scott
While senior players have leapt to his defence this week, Scott won't be able to avoid the criticism should the Cats lose on Friday night. All eyes will be on whether he can find a plan B (other than sending Harry Taylor forward) should the Eagles get on top.

Big call: Jack Darling to hold a crucial mark in the dying stages to sink the Cats.

Jack Darling fumbles in the goalsqaure during the 2018 Grand Final. Picture: AFL Photos

635418_ll.jpg

Prediction:
Eagles by three points

Thread Rules:
* No umpire complaining until after the game.
* Rioli stuff goes in the S&R board thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...tampering-with-a-drug-testing-sample.1228249/

Last edited:

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yankees, N'Orleans Saints, Arsenal

GWS-vs-WCE.png

WLWLWLWL - LWWWWLLW

FREE for 14 days:

6 Most Recent Meetings

Date
Home v Away Teams
Result
Venue
Round 6, 28 Apr 2019​
104-46​
GMHBA Stadium​
Round 3, 8 Apr 2018​
95-80​
Optus Stadium​
Round 13, 15 Jun 2017​
83-70​
Domain Stadium​
Round 7, 7 May 2016​
123-79​
GMHBA Stadium​
Round 9, 31 May 2015​
120-64​
Domain Stadium​
Round 4, 12 Apr 2014​
107-32​
GMHBA Stadium​
Not verbose about it, but quietly confident we can get up on Friday night.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

GWS-vs-WCE.png

WLWLWLWL - LWWWWLLW

FREE for 14 days:

6 Most Recent Meetings

Date
Home v Away Teams
Result
Venue
Round 6, 28 Apr 2019​
104-46​
GMHBA Stadium​
Round 3, 8 Apr 2018​
95-80​
Optus Stadium​
Round 13, 15 Jun 2017​
83-70​
Domain Stadium​
Round 7, 7 May 2016​
123-79​
GMHBA Stadium​
Round 9, 31 May 2015​
120-64​
Domain Stadium​
Round 4, 12 Apr 2014​
107-32​
GMHBA Stadium​

Looks like Geelong have gone with a bit of an icon change for this one.....

Goalski14

Debutant
Sep 19, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I feel like this will be a nail biter, I am quiet nervous just like every final we play but I’m feeling good despite the fact we’re playing the minor premier. History isn’t on our side, but then again it’s there to be rewritten.

Hopefully the Eagles with their recent MCG successes and experience can get over the line!

WCfan22

WCE tragic
Apr 1, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
WWE
Geelong on the rebound will be a difficult task to say the least I think we can but just

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
On our LWLWLWLWLWL form, a W is due.

But we're shot, and I don't think we'll fire a shot until it's well too late, a bit like last friday night.

If we do manage to hold on, we'll be a limp biscuit against Richmond. At least WCE should pull a punch in the Prelim.

May 31, 2019
Belmont, WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Perth Glory, Everton FC, SSC Napoli
Geelong will not lose 2 in a row. All this talk about WC smashing them is irritating.
Every year we overrate the EF winner and underrate the QF loser. They finished on top...1st! They know how to win especially when expectations arent on them.
Cats will bounce back just like they did in 2017 against the swans when everyone wrote them off.
Cats by 22pts in front of 52,000.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Like Adelaide in 2016. West Coast blew their chance in Round 23 and I think Geelong will move on to a matchup against Richmond with a win. Thankfully West Coast took their chance and won it all last year. And only twice in the current finals format 5th place has made the preliminary final, Port in 2014 and Melbourne in 2018.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
On our LWLWLWLWLWL form, a W is due.

Followed by a L ;)

Dont really care who wins this game and just want it to be a tight hard fought contest where both teams are totally spent at the end, Even be good if its a draw and goes into extra time.

If the Cats win they wont be able to back up 3 weeks in a row on the big MCG ground and would have spent all their petrol tickets with the Mighty Tigers waiting fresh and ready to run run run then run some more in the prelim.

If West Coast win that journey back to perth and back again after a hard fought game will be just way too hard to back up on and will fall short, I feel the eagles will probably give Richmond a better run in the prelim than the cats but even with a head start they couldnt win against us at the G so think its a task bit too hard.

Eagles 4 points

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Geelong will not lose 2 in a row. All this talk about WC smashing them is irritating.
Every year we overrate the EF winner and underrate the QF loser. They finished on top...1st! They know how to win especially when expectations arent on them.
Cats will bounce back just like they did in 2017 against the swans when everyone wrote them off.
Cats by 22pts in front of 52,000.

On the same note we should know how to win. We've had some close finals in the past few years, capped off with last year's grand final. I know it's two years ago but did you watch the 2017 EF against Port? If we bring that never give up, never say die attitude, it won't be easy. Also the Cat's strange form after the bye is certainly cause for concern. I see them as less potent as in 2018, funnily enough. I have a feeling it will be close, however, and not overly confident. Think we'll get it done but could easily see it going the other way. Just want the waiting to be over haha.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Things that make me confident:

Yes it's Essendon, but we put in a solid 4 quarter performance against Essendon. Was a sight to behold at times. Our fast ball movement is scary. If we're quick enough we can stop Geelong from setting up.

Nic Nat is a beast, as has been said so many times. Can do so much for a big ruckman and just lifts the team.

The face of our smalls could trouble Geelong, who look slow at times.

Cats just seemed impotent in forward 50 against the Pies. Granted the Pies have a solid defence, but they just didn't look dangerous, aside from a bit of Dangerfield and Kelly magic, but as usual too little too late.

Duncan and I think probably Rowan (?) out. As someone said Duncan tore us to shreds in round 6.

Our good MCG record, and the Cat's poor one in finals. Cat's home ground record flatters them, worst minor premier I can remember.

Things that make me not confident:

Geelong's miserly defence - and periods when other teams have shut us down for quarters. We'll need to adapt, and find ways to score no matter what the situation.

While we have a good MCG record it's still in Victoria, so crowd could also come into it. At least the crowd won't be as lopsided as if we were playing the Pies or Tigers.

Danger, Kelly, Myers, Tuohy, Parfait, Narkle etc getting loose and breaking through our defence, which has looked a bit brittle at times. We need to be sharp and fast.

All in all, I think we'll be too good, but I can also easily see it going the other way. I expect quite a congested, contested affair with lots of stoppages, where physical on-ballers will be key. Think it'll be close, and it'll take a fair bit out of both teams. Good luck to the winner, as it'll take a mighty effort to oust the Tigers after this, but one week at a time.

Back