Game Day Geelong Cats v West Coast Eagles - Semi Finals - Fri 13 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

No minor premier has gone out in straight sets since the early eighties, so we are overdue.

Note: Good luck to both sides in the Fijian frenzy.

Think people overestimate form sometimes - there's a reason why Geelong finished on top of the ladder after 22 games, and there's a reason why no minor premier has been bundled out in straight sets for 30+ years.

If I was a betting person I'd put a few on Geelong since they are somehow considered underdogs this Friday night.

Geelong will not lose 2 in a row. All this talk about WC smashing them is irritating.
Every year we overrate the EF winner and underrate the QF loser. They finished on top...1st! They know how to win especially when expectations arent on them.
Cats will bounce back just like they did in 2017 against the swans when everyone wrote them off.
Cats by 22pts in front of 52,000.

Eagles are not your normal EF winner though. They should have been top four, they were top 1-3 in most people's rankings, it's just that they did the epic choke against the hawks.

That said, history says this is the final the cats win, so my coin is on the pussies - not with a lot of confidence however

Not sure what to expect but whoever wins will probably get smacked by Richmond.

Don't you reverse mozz us!!!! FFS my club just got over the 35 year curse from the shag carpeting of hell :(

Getting a bit of a 2017 vibe. Geelong finished second and were smashed by Richmond in the QF and Adelaide in the PF, but in the middle calmly dispatched Sydney by 10 goals after the Swans toyed with Essendon. GWS did very similar from 4th. 6 goal loss to Adelaide, 11 goal win over us, 6 goal loss to Richmond.

Every year people get excited about EF winners but if I was setting the odds this week I would have Brisbane and Geelong as favourites. I'd like to think we are pretty bloody good for a 5th placed side but the time to get excited about WC is next week - if there is one. Right now we've only played 8th who won 12 games. Geelong won 16 and finished 40% ahead of Essendon, they're a much better team. We are good enough to win but I'd be more confident if it was a prelim and we were facing Geelong because we'd beaten one of the top 4 already.

Geelong were pretty average in their QF but only lost by 10. The other finals losers couldn't get close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like West Coast totally blew it all against the pies and hawks at home this year.

But we shall see.

And the Tigers in Rd 22.

Will cop the Hawks loss because we weren't the better team on the night. Down at every break after QT and just couldn't find a spark. Led the Pies from start to finish then just stopped dead and tried to defend a lead for 40 minutes. Led Richmond at QT, lost the next two quarters then fought back to have it level with 2 minutes to go. Tom Barrass had an absolute mare and gave away his 3rd gimme goal and we lost by a kick. 5% off 4th spot and a win over Coll or Rich takes us over either or both.

Footy needs luck and this year it wasn't on our side, other than Shaun Burgoyne chasing a coast to coast goal (needed to) which gave us a chance in Rd 15. Go back a year ago and we were behind 100% of game time against Port then McGovern won the game after the siren with a mung floater. 2nd by 4 points and 1%, that goal was basically worth a home final to us first up.

Pessimism says it's not our year. Optimism says if the teams around us needed to use up their luck in the H&A season maybe we'll get ours in the finals.

1-4 against the top 4 teams is very telling for West Coast this year.

Just haven't stood up when needed and I fear the same will happen again.
Hopefully we don't get blown away and put up a fight, but either way whoever wins will get spanked by Richmond the next week.

What shorts will geelong wear?
Will they go navy forcing west coast to wear white, introducing white to their uniform when it doesnt need to be introduced?

Dude..... Do you need to ask?

Geelong Cats v West Coast Eagles - Semi Finals - Fri 13 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Geelong-vs-WCE.png

WLWLWLWL - LWWWWLLW

FREE for 14 days:
Stream the game LIVE to any device.

Tip the game now - win cash 'n' prizes

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

Thread Rule: No umpire complaining until after the game.

6 Most Recent Meetings

Date
Home v Away Teams
Result
Venue
Round 6, 28 Apr 2019​
Geelong defeats West Coast​
104-46​
GMHBA Stadium​
Round 3, 8 Apr 2018​
West Coast defeats Geelong​
95-80​
Optus Stadium​
Round 13, 15 Jun 2017​
83-70​
Domain Stadium​
Round 7, 7 May 2016​
123-79​
GMHBA Stadium​
Round 9, 31 May 2015​
120-64​
Domain Stadium​
Round 4, 12 Apr 2014​
107-32​
GMHBA Stadium​

View attachment 743573

Thread Rule: No umpire complaining until after the game.
wow those are some pretty evenly matched statistics there..

Should be a cracker of a game.

1-4 against the top 4 teams is very telling for West Coast this year.

Just haven't stood up when needed and I fear the same will happen again.
Hopefully we don't get blown away and put up a fight, but either way whoever wins will get spanked by Richmond the next week.
Come on mate how can you say we’ll get spanked by Richmond if we win?

We got beaten by a goal last time v tigers, we’ll hopefully have nicnat this time, we’ll want redemption, and there’s a spot in the GF up for grabs.

I think saying we’ll get spanked is a bit over the top

Don't think Geelong have enough forward targets that they can rely on to put up a score. We will expose the zone enough times with speed and angles to produce the 13-14 goals that will be a match winning score.

I feel like the league needs a West Coast v Richmond prelim, even if we are likely to be beaten, I want to see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back