Game Day Geelong Cats v West Coast Eagles - Semi Finals - Fri 13 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

So hard to tell

The difference between 5-8 is so big that the essendon win flattered us

From 1-6 there isnt as much of a gap and the final positioning came down to the very last game of the season.

I think we can - i also think its as likely geelong can as well.

Im hoping scott repeats his genius :rollseyes: move of no ruckman in the side - if i see that again im loading up at the tab.

82AA60B5-54B9-4936-B97A-D4F2716F81EB.jpeg

This meme does itself - homers in blue and white ffs

Come on mate how can you say we’ll get spanked by Richmond if we win?

We got beaten by a goal last time v tigers, we’ll hopefully have nicnat this time, we’ll want redemption, and there’s a spot in the GF up for grabs.

I think saying we’ll get spanked is a bit over the top

They're coming off a bye, we would have traveled 3 times in a week.

That's a huge load to take in.

They will also have Cotchin back.

Last edited:

Weve got a pretty decent travel schedule for a fifth in finals this year

Bye. Final - 8 days - final - 7-8 days - final

As good as it gets i reckon

One glimmer of hope is in 2015 and 2016 the winner of the QF lost the GF to a team that lost the QF or won the EF. Since the pre finals bye I think it's actually become less of an advantage for some. One game in 3 weeks can break momentum.

Eagles by 2-3 goals for mine. Full strength with the addition of NN, Gaff & Shepard. Cats are pretenders & have lost all belief & no Duncan hurts.

West coast have a stench of Adelaide 98’. Finished 5th & had to travel 4 weeks in a row with no real pressure as the reigning premier & did the job every week.

Self belief is such an invaluable characteristic & they have it in spades.

Geelong will not lose 2 in a row. All this talk about WC smashing them is irritating.
Every year we overrate the EF winner and underrate the QF loser. They finished on top...1st! They know how to win especially when expectations arent on them.

Except this year’s EF winner is the reigning premier & geelong have barely won a game outside of the comforts of their home deck since the bye.

Only reason they finished top was because they were 3 games clear at the bye & had enough home games to keep them there.

Eagles by 2-3 goals for mine. Full strength with the addition of NN, Gaff & Shepard. Cats are pretenders & have lost all belief & no Duncan hurts.

West coast have a stench of Adelaide 98’. Finished 5th & had to travel 4 weeks in a row with no real pressure as the reigning premier & did the job every week.

Self belief is such an invaluable characteristic & they have it in spades.

Honestly, I feel people make too big a deal out of the QF winner having the break, or the QF loser/EF winner having to travel, play 4 finals etc. In recent years the winner of the QF has often lost the PF. Richmond last year, GWS in 2016, Freo in 2015. In two of the last 4 years the premier has had to play every week of finals, and in 2018 Collingwood almost won it having to play a semi final. Some argue, with some reason, the post finals bye might actually hurt some teams by breaking up their momentum. We're every chance if we just keep our form.

But we will be in game mode and they will have been languishing on their training ground. We will kick their arse and march into the G.F.

I think West Coast will win but I'm mindful that two years ago Geelong lost a qualifying final and beat an impressive elimination final winner a week later to avoid a straight sets exit in a match that was over quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

but even with a head start

"but even with a head start "

A head start??

Seriously?

Did Richmond play their last 7 games of the H&W at the G?

A head start you say?

You Vic club supporters are really something special when it comes to balance.

"but even with a head start "

A head start??

Seriously?

Did Richmond play their last 7 games of the H&W at the G?

A head start you say?

You Vic club supporters are really something special when it comes to balance.
LOL last 7 games at the G ?? How many games did your team play at home where the opposition only play there once every 2 years ? No compare that to Richmond playing home games at the G against teams that also call that ground home- And you blokes talk about an advantage ?

As far as i know each team plays the same amount of home games and playing last 7 means the start of the year was putrid

LOL last 7 games at the G ?? How many games did your team play at home where the opposition only play there once every 2 years ? No compare that to Richmond playing home games at the G against teams that also call that ground home- And you blokes talk about an advantage ?

As far as i know each team plays the same amount of home games and playing last 7 means the start of the year was putrid
Why are you trying to make this thread about Richmond?

Some extremely overly confident WC fans in this thread...... hopefully not counting the eggs before they hatch.

If 0 is convinced we're going to lose and 10 is convinced we're going to win, I'm about a 6 to 6.5. 60-65% chance of winning lol. So hopeful but not overly confident. I get the sense that's the general feeling among most of us.

Geelong are going to throw everything at this match, win, then get demolished by Richmond.

Yeah I can see this potentially happening.
It isn’t great for your guys to be playing against a side who are getting smashed by the media and have backs to the wall.

If we can’t win in this situation I’ll be fuming and you’ll have done well.

Think people overestimate form sometimes - there's a reason why Geelong finished on top of the ladder after 22 games, and there's a reason why no minor premier has been bundled out in straight sets for 30+ years.

If I was a betting person I'd put a few on Geelong since they are somehow considered underdogs this Friday night.
I agree and it's not as if west coast have been a model of consistency, Only gotta look back to the extremely costly Hawthorn loss.

Why are you trying to make this thread about Richmond?
Because they are insecure and deep down know they have to have things stacked in their favour to win big finals, Either through venue or officiating. Unlike their big rival Collingwood who step up against any team anywhere even with a long injury list.

Regale us with your 2018 prelim prematch thoughts?
My thoughts that night?? I was like nervous Nankervis! I was not confident at all. Our form tailed off towards the end of that H&A season & coming up against a hungry pies who are underdogs is always dangerous. I had about 8 💩💩 that day!

The same amount of times we fly across the country and play teams over there and fly back bruised, sore and often injured while the opposition is in recovery.

Theres a reason every vic team supporter says thinks like this:

[QUOTE ="Jukesy85, post: 57057397, member: 174912"]Getting an extra two days break and Hawthorn having to fly back from Perth while we haven’t left Etihad since the 14th will be a huge advantage (I don’t even know why this was allowed in the fixturing in the first place).

But knowing us and having the advantage, we’ll probably screw it up and lose after such a promising few months. Absolutely have to win this to make finals so they better be fired up, don’t deserve to play finals if we can’t beat the Hawks[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="Guardian Hawk, post: 57057729, member: 8642"]Not sure it is that even. It looks to be the case on the ladder but Essendon now are not the same rabble from the start of the year.
A ladder of the last 10 weeks would actually have Essendon sitting on top of the ladder. Meanwhile, Hawthorn have only been beating the bottom teams lately (and even then losing to the likes of Brisbane at home).

Add to that your pace (Hawthorn's biggest kryptonite), 2 fewer days break and Hawthorn returning from Perth, Essendon deserve to be warm favourites.

Really hope we can win though as your mob is the only team I genuinely can't stand. I doubt there'll be any actual fights as no one will risk getting suspended at this time of the year.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="MowShow, post: 57065321, member: 131541"]Trying to be optimistic but honestly can't see us getting within 5 goals of the bombers here..

I think our average form in recent times has been largely masked by our draw - i.e. recent big wins have people thinking we are playing at a higher level than we actually are, but they have been against freo, carlton, gold coast, the dogs etc. To be fair (from memory) the lions are the only team that has really got a hold of us this season. But my point is its pretty hard to get a read on our form.

On the other hand, the bombers have been really impressive lately. Aside from a couple of games without Fantasia they have looked hot. Sicily and Howe are 2 important players for us and coming off a 6 day break back from Perth, I can see them opening us up with their speed (which is an issue for us at the best of times).

Also can't see us being able to kick a winning score against the Bomber's defense, particularly with their style of play which will likely lead to them scoring in the ball park of 100.

Bombers by 38.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="StillAtLarge, post: 57076992, member: 162586"]The only reason Essendon are favourites is because they'll have 2 days extra prep and didn't play in Perth last round. I dare say we would be slight favourites otherwise.
And no, I'm not getting my excuses in early. We don't appear to be carrying any crocked players and seemed to coast through the last quarter v freo with this game in mind so if we're good enough- we'll win.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE ="Godzke, post: 57078655, member: 79677"]Players saw the difference after half time against Sydney when you lower the eyes when entering 50. Important we continue to look for the shorter lead up targets rather than kicking to a pack and hoping a small crumbs it. Particularly important against a team that ranks highly for i50s but lowly for clearances.

Extra two break and not flying back from Perth should mean we run out this game better than Hawthorn. Relatively dry conditions predicted, which also bodes in our favour.[/QUOTE]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back