Game Day Geelong Cats v West Coast Eagles - Semi Finals - Fri 13 Sep, 7:50PM AEST, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

kid_a

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2010
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Hammarby IF, East Freo, Glory
Geelong will not lose 2 in a row. All this talk about WC smashing them is irritating.
Every year we overrate the EF winner and underrate the QF loser. They finished on top...1st! They know how to win especially when expectations arent on them.
Cats will bounce back just like they did in 2017 against the swans when everyone wrote them off.
Cats by 22pts in front of 52,000.
tbf, its not often the EF winner is the reigning premiers and finished only 1 game behind the minor premiers.

Mar 5, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Socceroos - Matildas
Not good news for WCE.

the Eagles were then forced to wait in the terminal for more than an hour after their flight to Melbourne was delayed.

Instead of arriving in Melbourne at 7.30pm local time, the Eagles aren’t expected to touch down until almost 10pm – more than two hours later than scheduled.

In a statement on the Virgin Australia website, it says the flight is arriving late “as there was a delay earlier in the day”.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I feel like this will be a nail biter, I am quiet nervous just like every final we play but I’m feeling good despite the fact we’re playing the minor premier. History isn’t on our side, but then again it’s there to be rewritten.

Hopefully the Eagles with their recent MCG successes and experience can get over the line!

Beware a wounded pussy cat. They have been losing more than they've won last few weeks, but we saw them earlier and they looked like they had what it takes, made mistakes last week, I got that feeling they are in for a form reverse, if they fall over , they are going to have a hard next couple of years.
Maybe their last harrah, but I think they might surprise.

Expect anything !

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
What you are saying now is completely different to your original argument but never mind, I agree the fixture is very uneven.

I won’t find out anything, only way I’d be surprised is if we won. I rate WCE as the second best side personally.
You're right, my point appears to have slanted somewhat, but both points were highlighting the inequity of the fixture (nothing to do with travel and mcg games etc etc, just that it is not home and away for all clubs like BPL etc), so claiming someone is/isn't a top four team when the fixture variance is greater than the eventual margin they miss out by is more than a little foolish.

Serves me right for biting to Cockafitt tbh.

Last edited:

ShaunWDT

Premiership Player
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Eagles by 2-3 goals for mine. Full strength with the addition of NN, Gaff & Shepard. Cats are pretenders & have lost all belief & no Duncan hurts.

West coast have a stench of Adelaide 98’. Finished 5th & had to travel 4 weeks in a row with no real pressure as the reigning premier & did the job every week.

Self belief is such an invaluable characteristic & they have it in spades.
Our best football last weekend was with Duncan on the bench injured, shouldn't be an excuse for a loss.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
May the two teams punch the crap out of each other, and may the most punched up team with guns under suspension clouds win after 7 sets of extra time.
Other than that don’t care what happens.
Id pull you up on that except thats what i was praying for with gee-coll last weekend

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
May the two teams punch the crap out of each other, and may the most punched up team with guns under suspension clouds win after 7 sets of extra time.
Other than that don’t care what happens.

I watched the first half of last years prelim last night, and we have the game to replicate what Collingwood did last year. We scored 7 goals from clearances last week. Gives me a tad more confidence going in if we do face you.

TigerTime88

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 8, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Eagles I think will win. Although they finished 5th I rated them in the top four and they play the G well. Nic Nat back in is a huge inclusion. I think we match up better on the Cats so hoping they get up.

Either way hoping for a good game. If they beat each other up a bit I wouldn’t complain.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I watched the first half of last years prelim, and we have the game to replicate what Collingwood did last year. We scored 7 goals from clearances last week. Gives me a tad more confidence going in if we do face you.
I think you’re the team I fear the most.

That means no disrespect to other teams and I find it very difficult to split the 6 teams remaining with all teams having strengths and weaknesses, but in terms of a match up on Richmond I think you are the most awkward for us. Your game plan is the antidote to ours, and you’ve got star power forward and back that is roughly the same as ours. Your first quarter against us was stunning. The big question over your mob is consistency, can you put 3 or 4 of those quarters in 1 game?
But if you do, I fear we may be unable to beat you regardless of how we play.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Fly to Melbourne today
Fly home Saturday
Fly to Melbourne next Wednesday

3 times, that is rather fatiguing on a body that has been playing footy for 25 weeks already.
should I remind you that an old Hawks team in 2015 travelled to Perth first week, lost, back to Melbourne, then back to Perth and back to Melbourne and won the GF. Stop with the excuses, if we are good enough, we are good enough. We just have to make it to GF then it is all about who is better on the day. Should we get passed Cats, then a clash of the titans awaits. Tigers have won 10 in a row, only against Eagles at the G they got pushed and won by a single digit at the G with scores level with 4 minutes to go. I almost guarantee you entire tigers supporters are rooting for Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I think you’re the team I fear the most.

That means no disrespect to other teams and I find it very difficult to split the 6 teams remaining with all teams having strengths and weaknesses, but in terms of a match up on Richmond I think you are the most awkward for us. Your game plan is the antidote to ours, and you’ve got star power forward and back that is roughly the same as ours. Your first quarter against us was stunning. The big question over your mob is consistency, can you put 3 or 4 of those quarters in 1 game?
But if you do, I fear we may be unable to beat you regardless of how we play.

Yes. With Collingwood you kinda know what you're gonna get (last year's prelim excepting). We tend to match up closely with Collingwood too, but NN gives us a clear edge I believe. How much can NN add if we meet you again in the PF? Bias aside for the sake of football a Tigers Eagles PF would be a real boon.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
should I remind you that an old Hawks team in 2015 travelled to Perth first week, lost, back to Melbourne, then back to Perth and back to Melbourne and won the GF. Stop with the excuses, if we are good enough, we are good enough. We just have to make it to GF then it is all about who is better on the day. Should we get passed Cats, then a clash of the titans awaits. Tigers have won 10 in a row, only against Eagles at the G they got pushed and won by a single digit at the G with scores level with 4 minutes to go. I almost guarantee you entire tigers supporters are rooting for Geelong.

Well Geelong or WC, it's a no brainer who they'd prefer. We are the wild card, the joker in the pack, the unpredictable element.

Yes. With Collingwood you kinda know what you're gonna get (last year's prelim excepting). We tend to match up closely with Collingwood too, but NN gives us a clear edge I believe. How much can NN add if we meet you again in the PF? Bias aside for the sake of football a Tigers Eagles PF would be a real boon.
'Bias aside' I'll almost take more glee out your pain if Geelong beat WCE after reading your constant smug ******* posts than I will about avoiding straight sets.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal

The hawks never travelled back to back to back.
They just did 'normal' travel, awesome achievement by them though.

I'm not making excuses, just stating facts that it's going to be bloody tough to win these games with all the travel.
We put ourselves behind the pack by choking in the last round, made it a lot tougher on ourselves.

If we win the GF it would be the greatest achievement in AFL history in my view.

Karim Abdul Yeo

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The hawks never travelled back to back to back.
They just did 'normal' travel, awesome achievement by them though.

I'm not making excuses, just stating facts that it's going to be bloody tough to win these games with all the travel.
We put ourselves behind the pack by choking in the last round, made it a lot tougher on ourselves.

If we win the GF it would be the greatest achievement in AFL history in my view.

no mate, playing 4 games instead of 3 in finals( ideally) and to win is not normal. travelling to perth twice in 4 weeks is not normal. Also winning a flag this any year is a great achievement. I bet you gave us zero chance last year with no NN, Gaff and Sheppy. You are making excuses, just back your team, regardless of travel, weather, or whatever else.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
'Bias aside' I'll almost take more glee out your pain if Geelong beat WCE after reading your constant smug ******* posts than I will about avoiding straight sets.

Lol I don't think I've been overly smug or arrogant. I've made it clear I think it's a danger game. But if it makes you feel any better feel free to.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Which Cats show up. Cats of 2016 that got mauled by Sydney in that opening term. Or the Cats of 2017 that pulverised Sydney a year later?

Not sure what to expect. So often the teams that lose in week 1 from the top 4 regroup and get the chocolates in week 2. The Eagles have historically been bundled out in the semis on 3 occasions as reigning Premiers ( 3 out of 3 ) and two of those were at the MCG. These Eagles at their best are arguably the best in the business and were a top 4 side for a large part of the year however.

All I know is that if Geelong lose Chris Scott should go back to living out of Mommy and Daddy's basement ( along with Cockarfitt )

Lol I don't think I've been overly smug or arrogant. I've made it clear I think it's a danger game. But if it makes you feel any better feel free to.
I reckon talking about the team plan vs Richmond before the game vs Geelong has even started qualifies as smug.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Geez being the reigning premier sure does blindside people.
We had a bad game last week, still could’ve got up, have smashed both the eagles and tigers this year and cruised since.

It’s time we got back to our best, the eagles got absolutely hammered by the hawks at home with a top 4 spot on the line, lost to Collingwood at home and beat up Essendon. The eagles have had a spot to play for whilst we have not.

If we win this week our records at the MCG is both 5 of the past 7 but you would think the eagles were God’s of the MCG these days the way people talk.

If we don’t win I’ll get the pitchforks out. We are a better side than the eagles, this isn’t 2018 so a choke here will be difficult to take.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back