2nds Geelong Cats VFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to agree with that in regards to the afl side. We are close enough but the system needs to change as well as players improve to get a flag. Not the vfl side though which is where you started the argument, the vfl side lacks solid talent compared to its opposition and punches above its weight.
I apologise as you misunderstood the premise of my original point. I should have been more clear.

Absolutely not. Facts are facts mate.
And yet the Bulldogs got beaten quite a few times, this year. It is fine to say that the Bulldogs system worked during the finals, but it is not correct to draw the conclusion that their system is superior. It will make you sound like a Hawks supporter if you write off our wins against the dogs, just because they "didn't matter". Clearly, in those matches, our talent was better than their system.

And yet the Bulldogs got beaten quite a few times, this year. It is fine to say that the Bulldogs system worked during the finals, but it is not correct to draw the conclusion that their system is superior. It will make you sound like a Hawks supporter if you write off our wins against the dogs, just because they "didn't matter". Clearly, in those matches, our talent was better than their system.

But which team performed better when the pressure of finals came? Geelong wouldn't have beaten the Bulldogs if they met them in the finals. Bulldogs lifted for the finals while Geelong sank.

The VFL side was very undermanned in key places. In the first half of the year it was a bunch of raw kids and VFL listers just getting used to the level. It wasn't pretty to watch. When injuries cleared we got more experienced players back but never had a settled line-up. Vardy did his ankle about 6 games out from finals and took 4 weeks to get back, Clark was going OK but then trouble hit at the pointy end.

In the final

For big men we had Lucey (and Vardy recently returned from injury and a long talk with his manager).

In fact it was the VFL listers who had to carry the main load. A number of AFL listers who played are now out the door [Smedts, Delany, Luxford, Kersten, Bates, Vardy] .

It wasn't a year where system was able to develop ready for finals.

They are going to need to get some good contested mids for top ups.

The team fell away after Selwood and Menegola went up to the 1s last year and none of the draftees are that sort of player.

I agree. Getting Moloney from Collingwood to replace Ryan Williams who has gone to the BFL is a good start but we need another genuine mid or two, apart from Horlin Smith there won't be a lot there and I don't want to see Murdoch playing as an inside mid again.

Think it's going to be a pretty strong team as a long as we can find a couple of inside mids. Lang and GHS will probably see a bit of VFL time but we could use a couple more big body guys. The rest of the team is stacked.

Think it's going to be a pretty strong team as a long as we can find a couple of inside mids. Lang and GHS will probably see a bit of VFL time but we could use a couple more big body guys. The rest of the team is stacked.

Need Scharenberg in the PSD

Will depend a bit on the rookie draft-some guys like sexton and atkins might get rookied by other clubs which could hurt our depth. Abbott will be there as main ruck and black or house should be there for most games as the main forward. If Hayball and cunico develop ok then the forward line is good. If we can hang onto edwards hickey and sexton and tsitas the backline group is solid even if stewart spends most of the year in the afl. Just need a couple of mids to support horlin smith and lang/cowan/whoever the support cast is.

Going to be a pretty youthful and exciting team next year. Look forward to seeing how they develop. Still some good prospects to be added through rookie draft and cat b rookies from the academy.
Good to have a a mix of players that can develop. Some exciting talls that can hopefully stay injury free.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you please post the list of guys ?

New members: Jonathan Arcoraci (Geelong Falcons/North Shore); Max Augerinos (Geelong Falcons/St Mary’s); Mitch Banner (Darley); Joel Bennett (Geelong Falcons/Geelong West); Jack Berry (Leopold); Jack Blood (Geelong Falcons/St Mary’s); Daniel Capiron (Frankston VFL); Dan Colbert (Redan); Rob Condy (Newtown & Chilwell); Nick Connors (St Mary’s); Luke Davis (South Barwon); Mitch Diamond (Geelong Falcons/Newtown & Chilwell); Pat Dowling (Geelong Falcons/St Mary’s); Jack Duke (Beaufort); Charlie Farrell (Bell Park); James Gow (Nth Ballarat (TAC)/Koroit); Tom Lang (St Mary’s); Luke Macleod (Warrnambool); Lockey McCartney (Geelong Falcons/Newtown & Chilwell); Trent McMullan (Murray Bushrangers); Callum Mitchell (Clarence, Tasmania); Ben Moloney (Collingwood VFL); Logan Morey (Yarrawonga); Mitch Patten (Leopold); Ben Reid (Echuca); Baden Remmos (Geelong Falcons/Bell Park); Sam Scott (Leopold); Hayden Smith (Newtown & Chilwell); Kody Spokes (Colac); Jai Thompson (Leopold); Luke Webb (Glenorchy, Tasmania); Luke Williams (St Albans), Dan Colbert (Redan)

Existing: Ryan Abbott, Tom Atkins, Doug Bond, Simon Close, Jye Cross, Luke Delahey, Sam Dobson, Jake Edwards, Matthew Farrelly, Campbell Floyd, Josh Guthrie, Brant Haintz, Alex Hickey, Timm House, Matt Inglis, Harry Kol, Billy Laurie, Sam McLachlan, Cameron O’Leary, Brenton Rees, Will Sexton, Leigh Spitiri, Tom Stewart, Marcus Thompson, James Tsitas

Last edited:
Reckon our VFL 22 lines up a bit like this next year. Wasn't sure who our best option for CHB was so I've just put Buzza there tentatively.

FB: BEWS, GARDNER, RUGGLES
HB: MURDOCH, BUZZA, GUTHRIE
C: COWAN, HORLIN-SMITH, CUNICO
HF: HENRY, BLACK, GREGSON
FF: NARKLE, HOUSE, RATUGOLEA
1R: ABBOTT, PARSONS, LANG

INT: HAYBALL, PARFITT, JONES, SIMPSON

Reckon our VFL 22 lines up a bit like this next year. Wasn't sure who our best option for CHB was so I've just put Buzza there tentatively.

Chb should be jake edwards if he is staying on he will know more once the vfl squad is narrowed down to the final 25.

AFL backline of Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson, Mackie, Kolo, Stewart and Thurlow?

I don't see Stewart going straight in there unless there are injuries to any of the others.

AFL backline of Lonergan, Taylor, Henderson, Mackie, Kolo, Stewart and Thurlow?

I don't see Stewart going straight in there unless there are injuries to any of the others.

I've got Taylor playing forward now, probably unlikely to happen. My AFL backline is Stewart, Lonergan, Kolo, Tuohy, Henderson and Thurlow. Mackie on the pine.

I looked at that and thought WTF....Guthrie in reserves. Then the penny dropped.

I'd have it very similar though wouldn't play Murdoch as a defender swaping Cunico or Cowan with him. I also would have Lonergan in the reserves, still a very good AFL player but I wouldn't want three KPD's plus Stewart, Kolo & Mackie. I don't want any of those KPD's playing forward either.

CQr2WyM.jpg

Four or 5 of those you have selected may well be playing seniors...

What dont know is who we sign as VFL listed players , and perhaps who we sign as CatB

Remove this Banner Ad

Back