2nds Geelong Cats VFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Buzza as Captain - a sign of things to come?
I remember watching a VFL game last year and the only thing he did that stood out to me was be very vocal and demand players get back and into position to set up for boundary throw ins etc... I remember being impressed to see a first year player doing that. Maybe there is a bit of natural leadership there

Bews kicks one after the siren.
54-39

Narkle has been good. Generally has a bit of time when he gets it.
Black pushed up the ground and got a few touches.
Gardner and O'Connor have been solid in defence.
Hayball has been busy.
Bews started to get into it a little more.
I didn't notice Buzza that quarter.

I thought that they would have included Esava Ratougolea to play out there today?|

esavaratugolea130117.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember watching a VFL game last year and the only thing he did that stood out to me was be very vocal and demand players get back and into position to set up for boundary throw ins etc... I remember being impressed to see a first year player doing that. Maybe there is a bit of natural leadership there

I was more impressed with him pushing thru a couple of times..he looked stuffed yet still kept going. And he was not pushed around. As a raw talent, if was going to compare him to anyone of a known standard , he sort of reminds me of Mooney cause he has that natural aggression , doesn't really take a lot of high flying marks.
I'll admit , liked him more than some observers and I'm a bit disappointed he was not played in a JLT game. 8 on the bench and they cant find a spot for someone who plays in an obvious area of deficiency :rolleyes:. It will be interesting to see who is more likely the Buzz or the Sav.

Can you imaging the day both Sav and Buzza are played.. It will back to the Scarlo heyday... Wig sales will go thru the roof

As long as they don't colour their faces.

I watched for almost 3 quarters, couldn't convince kids to stay for longer. My impressions:

Narkle played with so much confidence as he has at least 6-10 years AFL experience, in midfield, attending pretty much all centre bounces. Players were looking for him and he was getting plenty of possessions, every time trying to take the game on. Several times attempted to kick very low, didn't work well for him, but thanks even for trying. Was over-confident at times, 2 times was caught holding the ball. Anyway was one of the best if not the best cats player today. I really hope we nailed it with Narkle's selection.

Gardner - looked hesitant at times. Lost one on ones 2 times in the second quarter to the same pies player, was just cleanly outplayed. First time resulted in an easy goal, second time pies forward managed to miss an unmissable goal. Then tried to dispose of the ball in the pies forward 50 with a turnover in result. Probably not a 100% chance for round 1 AFL selection.

Buzza I thought was pretty good - a very impressive pack mark and a goal, rotating between CHF and ruck. I think he improved heaps comparing to where he started last year.

Hayball got some muscles and weight, but still in close looks half the size of more established players. People are making endless jokes about Guthrie junior, but Matthew is not too far away. Played in defence, I thought he was pretty quiet and out-muscled at times.

Black played a quick chain of possessions with Buzza and kicked a beautiful goal on the run, was very fast at that moment despite his height, very skilfully bouncing ball on the run. That's all I noticed of him.

Bews played forward, I liked him - was constantly providing contest and going for marks. Even if he doesn't take the mark in a quick scuffle he takes the ball anyway, he is very strong. I hope this position may work for him and the cats.

For me Narkle was the main revelation from today's match.

I watched for almost 3 quarters, couldn't convince kids to stay for longer. My impressions:

Narkle played with so much confidence as he has at least 6-10 years AFL experience, in midfield, attending pretty much all centre bounces. Players were looking for him and he was getting plenty of possessions, every time trying to take the game on. Several times attempted to kick very low, didn't work well for him, but thanks even for trying. Was over-confident at times, 2 times was caught holding the ball. Anyway was one of the best if not the best cats player today. I really hope we nailed it with Narkle's selection.

Gardner - looked hesitant at times. Lost one on ones 2 times in the second quarter to the same pies player, was just cleanly outplayed. First time resulted in an easy goal, second time pies forward managed to miss an unmissable goal. Then tried to dispose of the ball in the pies forward 50 with a turnover in result. Probably not a 100% chance for round 1 AFL selection.

Buzza I thought was pretty good - a very impressive pack mark and a goal, rotating between CHF and ruck. I think he improved heaps comparing to where he started last year.

Hayball got some muscles and weight, but still in close looks half the size of more established players. People are making endless jokes about Guthrie junior, but Matthew is not too far away. Played in defence, I thought he was pretty quiet and out-muscled at times.

Black played a quick chain of possessions with Buzza and kicked a beautiful goal on the run, was very fast at that moment despite his height, very skilfully bouncing ball on the run. That's all I noticed of him.

Bews played forward, I liked him - was constantly providing contest and going for marks. Even if he doesn't take the mark in a quick scuffle he takes the ball anyway, he is very strong. I hope this position may work for him and the cats.

GREAT coverage and post. Thanks.

Super impressed to hear about Narkle - I think Catsmaninamerica called that very early in the piece as one to watch IIRC - and your report today does that call no harm at all.

Gardner i'm not worried about. He will get beaten as he's still learning. I didn't have him anywhere near it for Rd1 but I do expect him to debut this year.

Very interested to hear about Buzza. Again, dont' expect him to be ANYWHERE near it currently - but I do expect progression. And for him to be Captain is a massive achievement IMO - dont care its a VFL practice game - that shows development. And then to hear he's done it on the field with his performance as well thats great news.

Bews - Really like him forward. He's got a tank, his hard at it, is strong, and he's quick. Not to mention the fact that the few times he's gone forward he's hit the scoreboard. Additionally - if, as you have reported, he's even have an influence when he doesn't get clear possessions or marks, that's great effort and covering not only taking marks and being a target but backing it up and adding value once it hits the deck.

With Gregson potentially MIA this year - the spot is there for Son of Rat to take.

Great stufff _eop

Much thanks

Go Catters

Thanks for the coverage, anything on O'Connor?

Thanks for the reports from those who went it helps the rest of us a lot.

I am glad to hear Black played well, I doubt he will play AFL round 1 as Freo aren't stacked with talls but it's good to see him putting pressure on.

I am not a fan of the Bews forward thing but I am glad to hear he is making a good fist of it and improving all the time.

Sounds like Buzza has progressed, I doubt he is fit enough for AFL yet and he is back in the queue but it will be good if he makes it.

Narkle sounds positive, it reminds me of 2010 when we had Christensen and Adam Varcoe buzzing around at VFL level and both were really raw but you could see there was talent there. I haven't seen Narkle play live but it sounds similar.

Glad Atkins stayed with us again and didn't go back to country footy for more money, I rate him and I hope he gets drafted at the end of this year.

Not really a mention of Buzza in that piece - good wraps on BLack's work in the game and Narkle got good praise too.

Early days but clearly VFL team got some skin in the game this year too by the looks of it.

GO Catters

I hope Black keeps pressing. We need a mobile 3rd tall desperately. McGovern (Adl) yesterday showed what that moving third target can do - its damaging.
Black seems to be working well in that more central 50m arc area and has put in plenty of leads up the middle. We just need to hit him. So far he has shown he is very good shot at goal as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back