2nds Geelong Cats VFL 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Got a feeling in previous years they've done the same thing in regards to having mostly VFL listed players playing in the 2nd practice match. I think it's so they know who to keep and who to cut off the top-up list before the season starts.

All listed players get the weekend off and clubs have to get approval for any players returning from injury. Looking at who is playing they must rate Zach Guthrie a chance for round 1.

All listed players get the weekend off and clubs have to get approval for any players returning from injury. Looking at who is playing they must rate Zach Guthrie a chance for round 1.

Probably the only chance the 3 brothers will get to play a game at Geelong together so I reckon Zach playing is more titled towards that than round 1 to be honest.

So guys like Buzza/Waybill/Gardner that have been fit but not picked in the JLT go into the season with a single VFL practice match under their belts? Not exactly an ideal prep, especially for players that require development.

Probably the only chance the 3 brothers will get to play a game at Geelong together so I reckon Zach playing is more titled towards that than round 1 to be honest.

So guys like Buzza/Waybill/Gardner that have been fit but not picked in the JLT go into the season with a single VFL practice match under their belts? Not exactly an ideal prep, especially for players that require development.

For the start of the AFL season they have only played the one but by the time the VFL season starts they will have played up to 4. So by not playing them in the JLT i assume the club will be developing these guys further through the VFL.

Got a feeling in previous years they've done the same thing in regards to having mostly VFL listed players playing in the 2nd practice match. I think it's so they know who to keep and who to cut off the top-up list before the season starts.

Correct, this is the last prac match i think before we have to decide which vfl guys to cut so they get the priority in being picked this week.

Correct, this is the last prac match i think before we have to decide which vfl guys to cut so they get the priority in being picked this week.
I also think it's part of the AFLPA agreement that they get certain weekends off. Preety sure this is one of them.

OK. That makes sense Mr.Ownage. Thanks.

There goes that plan of heading into the game.

Sent from my SM-A300Y using Tapatalk

I've decided to stay at home and have a few beers in front of the telly seeing that there are no young listed players on show tonight.

I was thinking about going, but instead I'm staying home and watching the cricket :D

There are more AFL listed players in the Indian Cricket team than this current VFL side.

Anyone at the game?
Down by 3 points at half time against a fairly solid Bombers side.

Cam Guthrie and Mots have had a bit of the ball.

Left 5 minutes ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Down by 3 points at half time against a fairly solid Bombers side.

Cam Guthrie and Mots have had a bit of the ball.

Left 5 minutes ago.
Cheap touches or decent ones?

Cheap touches or decent ones?
Cam had a few decent clearances and was good in the contest. Mots was running between the backline and the midfield. He still looks like he's going at half pace at times but he was finding a bit of the ball which was pleasing. Not necessarily cheap touches either. He's working for them.

The Bombers look like monsters out there against our skinny kids.

The other Guthrie who isn't on our list shows a bit.

Cam had a few decent clearances and was good in the contest. Mots was running between the backline and the midfield. He still looks like he's going at half pace at times but he was finding a bit of the ball which was pleasing. Not necessarily cheap touches either. He's working for them.

The Bombers look like monsters out there against our skinny kids.

The other Guthrie who isn't on our list shows a bit.
Actually seems from the scores we are going well, especially given how many good players they have in their side

Actually seems from the scores we are going well, especially given how many good players they have in their side
The size difference between both teams was profound. There's some fringe VFL boys that didn't do their cases any harm, although don't get me to guess their names, I have no idea. I worked out quickly who young Josh Guthrie was just by his looks. The kid should make the cut based on that first half.

Young Zac continues to impress although he was a little quieter than what we saw in the JLT series.

How old is the other Guthrie?

joshguthrie.png

Is his playing profile similar to his brothers (ie composed decision-maker with excellent ball use)?
Very much alike. Plays across half-back.

All Guthries looked good. Motlop played in about a 10 minute burst but wasn't noticeable. Took it pretty easy, had alot of time with ball in hand. Blood was good to watch, worked really hard to move from contest to contest. Flloyd looked great, missed two easy goals though. Dobson has a terrific pair of hands, really liked what i saw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back