VFLW Geelong Cats VFLW 2021 Season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the season kicking off on Saturday, it's probably time to get this going

There's a pretty good article on the Herald Sun (🤮) about the pending season - it's focus is on the newly admitted Port Melbourne VFLW team, but it does give some good info about the structure of the season, it's relation to the AFLW, finals etc

For those wondering, our head coach this season is Andrew Bruce

- The VFLW season has been brought forward to align with the AFLW and NAB League Girls seasons, and will run for 16 weeks.
The top six teams will play in a four-week finals series in June, with the grand final set down for the weekend of July 10.

- Each team will field 16 players, with five on the bench.
The AFLW-aligned clubs must select a minimum of five Under 22 players in all matches, and the non-aligned clubs – Essendon, Darebin, Hawthorn and Williamstown – must choose at least three U22s.

ROUND ONE

Saturday, February 27:

North Melbourne v Port Melbourne at Arden St, 10am

Geelong v Collingwood at Deakin University (Waurn Ponds), 12pm

Carlton v Casey Demons at IKON Park, 2pm

Sunday, February 28:

Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn at VU Whitten Oval, 10am

Essendon v Southern Saints at The Hangar, 10.30am

Darebin v Williamstown at La Trobe Uni (Bundoora), 11.30am

And the all important info, here is our VFLW squad for this season - there may be one or 2 familiar names, wonder if Erin is interested in reprising her AFLW career

GEELONG
Breanna Beckley
Sachi DeGiacomi
Michelle Fedele
Natalie French
Claudia Gunjaca
Erin Hoare
Lucy Martin
Emma Oliver
Rebecca Pearce
Breanna Pratt
Laura Ryan
Tanacha Saunders
Tamara Smith
Tahlia Tatlock
Jamie Woollett
Aily McAuliffe
Olivia Fuller

Development list
Sarah Elsworthy
Annabel Johnson
Chloe Leonard
Ava McKeegan
Theresia Meissner
Paige Sheppard
Renee Tierney
Annie Lee
Tess Craven

All team lists available in the Herald Sun link, or you can check out the following tweet and follow the chain of replies to see the other teams

Interesting name on Hawthorn's list - Abbey Holmes.

Have to admit that I didn't really look at the other teams...

But Holmes lined up against us on the weekend in our VFLW practice match - didn't realise she was still playing until I saw these photos

GEELONG has named their VFLW Leadership Group for 2021 ahead of their season opener against Collingwood on Saturday.

The Round 1 clash will be held at Deakin University Elite Sports Precinct with the first bounce at 12pm AEDT.

Michelle Fedele will lead the Cats into battle after her appointment as captain.

Fedele will be joined by Claudia Gunjaca (vice-captain), Tamara Smith and Breanna Beckley in a new-look leadership group.

1614250061685.jpeg

This feels like a suitable place for some NAB League Girls updates, especially as 4 of the Falcons players are part of our VFLW development squad - Ava McKeegan, Renee Tierney, Annie Lee & Tess Craven

This week was our 3rd match for the season, with a top of the table clash between the undefeated Eastern Rangers & Falcons

Last week the Eastern Rangers had a small win 19.3 - 117 def Gippsland Power 0.3 - 3, to leave them top of the table and a percentage of 1225%

Full time of todays match and the Falcons prevailed 7.5 - 47 def 3.5 - 23

And the good news is how our development squad players are going, with Renee Tierney having a big start to the season, having already kicked 5/6 goals (depends on what you read), she added at least 2 more goals today (currently not sure who kicked our first goal)

I'm not sure how she's viewed as a draft prospect, but seems we may have some young forwards coming through - Barber & Skinner already on the list

Apparently Liv Barber has kicked 2 of our 3 goals thus far.

Man, she would've come in handy last night....

We're currently trailing 22 to 38 in the 3rd quarter.

I follow Arg Giese on twitter and he's providing some good updates for todays match - I would have thought pulling an opponent's hair may have been deemed as high/over the shoulder, but guess not

Sounds like we have the same umpires as we did when we played their AFLW side at Victoria Park. Clear marks not being paid, players being pulled by the hair and not getting frees - sounds all too familiar.

Sounds like we have the same umpires as we did when we played their AFLW side at Victoria Park. Clear marks not being paid, players being pulled by the hair and not getting frees - sounds all too familiar.

Sounds like I wasn't too far off the mark going by this tweet...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Write up for the VFLW game yesterday.

These quotes aren't really surprising...

AFLW-listed players Olivia Barber and Georgia Clarke were dominant in the forward line, kicking three and two goals respectively, while Rene Caris was named best on ground for the Cats.

“Liv (Barber) gives you a contest in everything that she does, she’s a fantastic player to have in your side and it’s hopefully great for her confidence that she scored some goals and got a bit of reward for her hard work.

“I thought her contests in the air were good and even when she went into the ruck at different times she certainly got over the top of the Collingwood rucks and played the game out really strong.

I also liked this - I know she didn't have the best game first up this season, but if her good form continues in the VFLW then reward her with another run in senior team. She's 21, 184cm tall and we've seen in the mens game that rucks can take a few years of development so why would it necessarily be different in the women's game

Rene Caris had a standout game for the Cats, playing a dynamic role in the ruck.

“I thought Rene Caris was outstanding all day in the ruck. Not only her tap work, but also her second and third efforts at ground level were fantastic and she just ran the game out really well,” Bruce said.

and good to see Gardiner bounce back after a quiet debut game last week

Best: Caris, Sheppard, Pratt, Barber, Meissner, Gardiner

Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
And the all important info, here is our VFLW squad for this season - there may be one or 2 familiar names, wonder if Erin is interested in reprising her AFLW career

Any special dispensation, that can see Erin return to our AFLW team at no cost (in terms of draft picks)?
Considering the semi-professional nature of the competition, at times some of the women will have to put their careers/studies above footy, there should be some provision to encourage their return.
Maybe it takes a scenario like this to occur for there be an adjustment to the rules.

In our first year I thought she was the most promising of all the initial pre-selection players along with MegMac.
Her leaving to study left a massive hole in our team that we haven't filled.

Last edited:

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong

GEELONG
Breanna Beckley
Sachi DeGiacomi
Michelle Fedele
Natalie French
Claudia Gunjaca
Erin Hoare
Lucy Martin
Emma Oliver
Rebecca Pearce
Breanna Pratt
Laura Ryan
Tanacha Saunders
Tamara Smith
Tahlia Tatlock
Jamie Woollett
Aily McAuliffe
Olivia Fuller

Development list
Sarah Elsworthy
Annabel Johnson
Chloe Leonard
Ava McKeegan
Theresia Meissner
Paige Sheppard
Renee Tierney
Annie Lee
Tess Craven

All team lists available in the Herald Sun link, or you can check out the following tweet and follow the chain of replies to see the other teams

Does no ALFW play for the VFL side?

Of course they do. Laura Gardiner, Georgia Clarke, Rene Caris and Olivia Barber all played last week, and I'm sure there were others as well.

Similar concept to the mens in regards to seperate AFL & VFL lists but there's obviously AFL listed players who get a run in the VFL

In the VFLW they have a few more restrictions on the cross over between lists, and thinking that's more to do with the fact that the AFLW season finishes not long after the VFLW season starts - previously had finished well before the start of the VFLW season

As long as the AFLW season is going, any AFLW player who ain't playing seniors that weekend is permitted to play in the VFLW team and once the AFLW season is over, it's capped at 10 AFLW listed players in the side each week. We've also got to field 5 u22 players each week, but thinking that won't be too hard

It's essentially so AFLW aligned teams don't just play their senior side in the VFLW once the senior season is over

Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Similar concept to the mens in regards to seperate AFL & VFL lists but there's obviously AFL listed players who get a run in the VFL

In the VFLW they have a few more restrictions on the cross over between lists, and thinking that's more to do with the fact that the AFLW season finishes not long after the VFLW season starts - previously had finished well before the start of the VFLW season

As long as the AFLW season is going, any AFLW player who ain't playing seniors that weekend is permitted to play in the VFLW team and once the AFLW season is over, it's capped at 10 AFLW listed players in the side each week. We've also got to field 5 u22 players each week, but thinking that won't be too hard

It's essentially so AFLW aligned teams don't just play their senior side in the VFLW once the senior season is over

Am I right in saying that AFLW players don't have to play for their aligned VFLW team, but can play for one of the non-aligned VFLW teams once the AFLW season is finished?
Something to do with giving those non-aligned teams a chance against the AFLW backed ones.

Am I right in saying that AFLW players don't have to play for their aligned VFLW team, but can play for one of the non-aligned VFLW teams once the AFLW season is finished?
Something to do with giving those non-aligned teams a chance against the AFLW backed ones.

I think that may have been the case in previous years when the seasons ran independent of each other, but there seems more of an alignment between the AFLW, VFLW and NAB League Girls competitions this year and doubt there'll be the freedom of movement at the completion of the AFLW season. Would also be kinda weird if a player had played VFLW for one team during the first few rounds and then was able to play for a second team in the second half of the season

From an article linked below:
“The 2021 fixture will allow great exposure for the next wave of talent and will provide fans across Victoria the opportunity to get close to the action with clubs and players maintaining a great connection to their communities. The alignment with the AFL Women's and NAB League Girls fixtures will see the best girls across Victoria play competitive football matches every weekend.”

Darebin is a non aligned team, their list consists of 29 senior/squad players & 8 on the development list, Essendon another non aligned team has 30 & 9

While our VFLW team has a squad of 17 and 9 development players, and checking teams like Carlton have a squad of 19 & 8 development players, and Collingwood has 20 deep squad and 9 development platters

Looking at those numbers where the non aligned clubs are starting the larger VFLW squads, I'm guessing the aligned clubs are making up but difference with access to the AFLW lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back