VFLW Geelong Cats VFLW 2021 Season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I read an article about Meissner a couple of weeks ago - apparently she'd never even heard of AFL about 4-5 years ago (she's German) and now she's an established VFLW player. Pretty incredible to move half away around the world to play a game you've only picked up in your homeland and played against other amateurs and it's not paid well (if at all at VFLW level?). Gotta admire that.

Ended up winning by 85 points, 15.9.99 to 2.2.14.

Goalkickers: Clarke 4 Cranston 3 Williams 2 Smith 2 Moloney Sheppard Johnson Woollett.

On CPH1701 using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is a little different for Amy - not named as BOG in a Geelong match

VFLW ROUND 9

Geelong 4.1, 9.5, 11.5, 15.9 (99)
Western Bulldogs 0.1, 0.1, 1.1, 2.2 (14)

GOALS, Geelong: G. Clarke 4, R. Cranston 3, S. Williams 2, T. Smith 2, J. Woollett, D. Moloney, A. Johnson, P. Sheppard
Western Bulldogs: N. Morris-Dalton, C. Sargent

BEST, Geelong: A. Johnson, M. Keryk, C. Gunjaca, G. Clarke, A. McDonald, T. Smith
Western Bulldogs: A. Gogos, D. Marshall, S. Ruedin, S. Hartwig, I. Pritchard, G. Lagioia

full match review - http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-news/cats-continue-winning-run/

This is a little different for Amy - not named as BOG in a Geelong match

VFLW ROUND 9

Geelong 4.1, 9.5, 11.5, 15.9 (99)
Western Bulldogs 0.1, 0.1, 1.1, 2.2 (14)

GOALS, Geelong: G. Clarke 4, R. Cranston 3, S. Williams 2, T. Smith 2, J. Woollett, D. Moloney, A. Johnson, P. Sheppard
Western Bulldogs: N. Morris-Dalton, C. Sargent

BEST, Geelong: A. Johnson, M. Keryk, C. Gunjaca, G. Clarke, A. McDonald, T. Smith
Western Bulldogs: A. Gogos, D. Marshall, S. Ruedin, S. Hartwig, I. Pritchard, G. Lagioia

full match review - http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-news/cats-continue-winning-run/

Interesting that Cranston kicked 3 but not amongst the best - guess they're still playing forward.

Nice to see Keryk listed - thought she had a reasonably solid AFLW season, all things considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leading player statistics from the game.

AFLW listed players:

Laura Gardiner - 27 possessions, 7 marks, 4 tackles.
Maddy Keryk - 23 possessions, 5 marks.
Amy McDonald - 23 possessions, 7 tackles.
Darcy Moloney - 20 possessions, 4 tackles, 1 goal.
Rene Caris - 17 possessions, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 12 hitouts.
Rocky Cranston - 17 possessions, 4 marks, 2 tackles, 3.2 on the scoreboard.
Steph Williams - 13 possessions, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 2 goals.
Georgia Clarke - 6 possessions, 2 marks, 2 tackles, 3 goals.

VFLW listed players:

Paige Sheppard - 22 possessions, 2 tackles, 1 goal.
Tamara Smith - 17 possessions, 8 tackles, 2.2 on the scoreboard.
Claudia Gunjaca - 16 possessions, 2 marks, 2 tackles.
Jaime Woollett - 15 possessions, 6 tackles, 1.1
Michelle Fedele - 13 possessions, 5 marks, 0.2
Olivia Fuller - 7 possessions, 4 marks, 1 tackle, 4 hitouts, 1 goal.

The girls have a couple of early starts coming up in the next couple of weeks:

Round 11 vs Southern Saints at Trevor Barker Beach Oval, Saturday May 15 @ 10am
Round 12 vs Carlton at Ikon Park, Saturday May 22 @ 11am

Geelong has sent a warning to the rest of the competition with a record win over the Western Bulldogs. The Cats passed the previous high score for the season, set by the Dogs three weeks ago, piling on 15 goals to run out 85-point winners. It was clinical from the Cats who kept the Dogs goalless in the first half while kicking nine of their own. From there the Bulldogs only managed two goals as Geelong was able to kick another six on the way to the record score.

The Cats had plenty of contributors in the win, with Richelle Cranston and Georgia Clarke leading the goalkickers with three each. Laura Gardiner again led all disposal getters with her 27, with Madeline Keryk, Amy McDonald, Darcy Moloney, Annabel Johnson and Paige Sheppard also reaching the 20s. Tamara Smith and Steph Williams were also damaging inside 50, kicking two goals apiece.

Has Steph Williams played pretty much the whole VFLW season? Hope they just keep pumping games into her. Once she knows how to get a bit of ball, I reckon she'll shake things up in our forward line (which admittedly was only one of several big problems last season - so it's exciting to see the future coming on).

Has Steph Williams played pretty much the whole VFLW season? Hope they just keep pumping games into her. Once she knows how to get a bit of ball, I reckon she'll shake things up in our forward line (which admittedly was only one of several big problems last season - so it's exciting to see the future coming on).

After her omission from the senior team, I believe it's only 1 VFLW match that she's missed and it happened to be our first match following the completion of the AFLW season - not sure if there was a reason why she missed that week, but pretty sure she's played every other week she's been available to play

And I agree about just pumping games into her - she was rather raw this season in the AFLW but there was also something about her, and she bought something different with her pace

After her omission from the senior team, I believe it's only 1 VFLW match that she's missed and it happened to be our first match following the completion of the AFLW season - not sure if there was a reason why she missed that week, but pretty sure she's played every other week she's been available to play

And I agree about just pumping games into her - she was rather raw this season in the AFLW but there was also something about her, and she bought something different with her pace

Great to hear - thanks for the update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back