Review Geelong d Gold Coast by 85 points - Rd 11, 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I tend to agree with cats_09 saying it was too far from the contest. It was a terrific contest, which Dangerfield ultimately won, despite the Free Kick. But honestly, it was really soft. As for "Still where is the ump’s sense of theatre?" - well, that's the umpires grandstanding + imposing themselves upon the game! Grrrrrrr!
A fair bit of over umpiring going on this year.

Could be. The other reason is that the Gold Coast is just gorgeous this time of year + it's a terrific break from the bleak Victorian Winter, so I think Geelong supporters enjoy visiting the GC. Plus it was Gaz's first game in the Hoops, playing his old team, another good reason, which was well rewarded.
Been beautiful weather in Williamstown the last few days- cold but crisp and sunny and no wind. Couldn’t be better for winter!

O/K Kitty AFL site highlights Gold Coast v Geelong 3:19 in be on full screen to see Gazza's diamonds on the soles of my shoes as he runs into goal.

Ah come on YPO, where's the link? :p

Here it is for those who'd like to see Gaz's enlightening boots -
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-06-02/highlights-gold-coast-v-geelong

They're pretty :cool: + very flashy. I think Gaz likes a bit of flash + bling, was wearing the shiniest black patten leather shoes at the Season Launch.

That was a terrific intercept Mark from Bews, who handballed to Gaz + Boom! Goal!

A fair bit of over umpiring going on this year.

You can say that again! Was it the game we played against Port? Can't remember, but there was one game where the umpires were blatantly getting the oppo team back into the game.

I don't really like criticising the umpires, but sometimes they're too much to stand.

Been beautiful weather in Williamstown the last few days- cold but crisp and sunny and no wind. Couldn’t be better for winter!
Sounds divine! But you can still swim on the GC at this time of year. Whilst here in NSW New England it was -4℃ to 14℃ on Friday - just superb!

I don't think the TV or other media spotted them.
No, they didn't. I didn't notice them until I watched the highlights video. How did you know about them, because you were on the boundary at the game?

I just finished watching the first half and noted that Hawkins was actually given a couple of maybe lucky/favourable calls from the umpires which resulted in a couple of goals to him - plus the mark he took which I think the commentators were trying to find free against Hawkins within the contest.

After being on the end of receiving calls going against him, especially last week, it was nice to see Hawkins being the one to receive the benefit on those 50/50 calls for once

We were all very surprised + commented accordingly in the game day thread. A refreshing change.

You can say that again! Was it the game we played against Port? Can't remember, but there was one game where the umpires were blatantly getting the oppo team back into the game.

I don't really like criticising the umpires, but sometimes they're too much to stand.

Sounds divine! But you can still swim on the GC at this time of year. Whilst here in NSW New England it was -4℃ to 14℃ on Friday - just superb!
Agree re umps.
Yep it is great but not getting me in the water again till November now. A group of reall toughies swim through the winter down here- mostly in wetsuits nowadays -not good enough!
-4 sounds a bit cold.

A stunning return to form saw the Cats crush the Suns by 85 points as Gary Ablett put on a clinic against his old club.
-
What went right?
-
Geelongs mosquito fleet of forwards, Jones, McCathy, Parfitt and Fogarty provided plenty of forward half pressure and kicked 4 goals between them.
Duncan coming off the back of the square at the centre bounce was a fantastic move by Chris Scott. This allowed for Duncan to receive the footy from our inside mids and use the footy exquisitely through the centre of the ground. It also put pressure on the Gold Coast midfielders when they won a clearance, something missing from previous weeks,
The midfield of Ablett, Duncan, Selwood, Dangerfield and Menegola amassed 160 possessions between them in a dominant around the ground display. Finally our midfield gelled and they have now set the bar on what to expect for the rest of the season.
Blicavs was outstanding on Lynch keeping him relatively ineffectual for most of the night. He was again supported by Stewart and Kolodjashnij as they dominated the aerial contests.
Stewart and Tuohy ran rampant across half back amassing 52 possesions, setting up attack after attack with their slick kicking skills.
Kelly and Menegola are flying under the opposition radar as they rarely seem to be manned up. Both have great skills and are hurting the opposition week in week out. Menegola also restricted David Swallow's influence, keeping him quiet for most of the night.
Our delivery into the forward 50 was much improved from previous weeks as we lowered the eyes and hit targets, rather than the bomb and hope of recent weeks.
-
What went wrong?
-
Jed Bews, Jake Kolodjashnij, Jordan Murdoch, Jordan Cunico, Zach Tuohy all registered zero tackles. the second time this has happened for Kolodjashnij and Bews in the past two weeks. This definitely needs amending.
The ruck is still a major issue as the Gold Coast's Witts had 47 hitouts to Stanley and Buzza's 22.
-
Next week v Nth Melbourne?
-
Both backlines are the stingiest in the league. Geelong will need tom maintain its discipline down back and work as a unit to quell inform forwards Brown and Waite. Tackling down back will ensure constant pressure on the Kangaroo forwards and should be a focus this week.
Our mids are up against it as Goldstein has returned to his best form in recent weeks. Need to break even in clearances and ensure North Melbourne's mids are under pressure at every opportunity.
Can't afford to bomb it inside 50 this week against to great aerial defenders in Thompson and Tarrant. keep lowering the eyes and hit targets inside 50 as we did against the suns.
For the life of me, no matter where you play on the ground, I don’t understand how anyone can go an entire game and not lay one single tackle.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My wife is a Gold Coast supporter for the very reason that I have to take her to see at least one home game each year, to be honest she doesn't care much about the footy. She supports Geelong VFL team with me and loves going to those games lol.

Had to laugh perusing through the autopsy thread on the GC board. They were happy they got 17,000 people to a game, and then laughed at how people call them a plastic franchise.

If any other team got only 17,000 to a home game in weather like yesterday, it'd be cause for concern, but it's a cause of celebration to our friends in SE Queensland.

I actually think that is cause for celebration. What are they getting in western sydney and even in Geelong on a Thursday we only get 20 something. They weren’t all cats supporters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have we got more than 180 posts through a review without anyone slandering Murdoch? What is this board coming to?

I guess Stanley and Buzza are the whipping boys du jour.

That’s because he played well.

Stanley did not.

On another note thought again that Black was handy down back. Nothing stellar but handy none the less.

192 cm back pocket who plays big and small and wins the contested footy.
Some blokes thrive at higher level of footy.......Black seems to be one of those guys.
Defence is building into a really strong unit. It’s been the surprise packet of the year
Blicavs is the best utility in the game. Great decision to sign him for 5 years

Does anybody remember which poster was always bagging Bics and hoping he left the club? He was good again last night and he’s been durable.

Well the writing was on the wall wasn’t it. Never played a bad game with the few opportunities he got last year. Seemed to be the scape goat. I too, if you read back, never thought he got a fair crack
He’s grabbing his chance now though, and I like that about him. He didn’t sulk it up like Vardy did
And yes ........re: Kolo, that’s what I was talking about re: structures

Did Vardy sulk? Gosh that’s not good. Now he’ll be forgotten in the west as no. 3 or 4 ruckman. Would he come back?

That’s because he played well.
Stanley did not.
On another note thought again that Black was handy down back. Nothing stellar but handy none the less.
Murdoch sans pressure is almost ok. Maybe someone should slip some propranolol in his gator aid stop him trying to dish off.. :think:
Black has talent, maybe this is the reinvention that could kickstart his career. Our backline is one of the bright spots in this funny old season. Not sure whether Taylor really helps us back there. In his 2018 incarnation he doesn't seem to bring much more to the table than we already have, but hard to leave him out when fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back