Review Geelong d Gold Coast by 85 points - Rd 11, 2018

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I noticed this at the ground. It looks like Scott has finally come to the realisation that it's what's needed to improve our clearance numbers.
I would say that they have tried for the entire season to see if they can achieve the normal expectation that their average ruckman should break even, and their dominant midfield get the clearances as they did over the last two years. However, when this didn't work, they've probably been working very hard over the last month to implement new tactics with the understanding that they are going to lose the ruck contest 8 out of 10 times, so they need to be positioned differently. This likely means that Stanley stays in the team as even though he's a useless ruckman, his patterns are something that the midfield can become familiar with over time.

Our defence is far more proactive around every stoppage, knowing that the ball will likely be coming into the oppositions forward 50, meaning that our attacks will come from rebound 50s.

I noticed today that Fremantle had no idea what to do when Sandilands wasn't in the team. The Pies kept winning clearance after clearance and scoring. They had gotten complacent with their ruck dominance and couldn't adapt easily.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I think everyone's being a bit harsh on Buzza and Stanley. At least with Buzza you know what you'll get. Goes to the right spots, competes hard and is decent on the ground. Just don't expect him to clunk marks. Of course he's a down grade on Sav but I think he's or best option for that spot.

I was surprised to see the hitout stats because I didn't think Witts had any real influence at stoppages. Stanley had a few hitouts to advantage that I saw and used his body well once it hit the ground to give our other players space. If he can fight nil all draws like last night against better rucks then he deserves to keep his spot.

Black surprised me too. A lot better at ground level than I'd seen before.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I would say that they have tried for the entire season to see if they can achieve the normal expectation that their average ruckman should break even, and their dominant midfield get the clearances as they did over the last two years. However, when this didn't work, they've probably been working very hard over the last month to implement new tactics with the understanding that they are going to lose the ruck contest 8 out of 10 times, so they need to be positioned differently. This likely means that Stanley stays in the team as even though he's a useless ruckman, his patterns are something that the midfield can become familiar with over time.

Our defence is far more proactive around every stoppage, knowing that the ball will likely be coming into the oppositions forward 50, meaning that our attacks will come from rebound 50s.

I noticed today that Fremantle had no idea what to do when Sandilands wasn't in the team. The Pies kept winning clearance after clearance and scoring. They had gotten complacent with their ruck dominance and couldn't adapt easily.

Stanley needs to focus on tackling the backside of everyone so as to be a significant contributor. I seem to remember this was a bit of what Bics did in 2013 to get into the game when he was learning it. Suspect that Chris prefers Rhys due to greater upside. I really like Smith but I suspect he’s now on the outer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nov 30, 2000
No longer in a premiership drought
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
LUFC/MSRLC/MVFC
Fine at worst but open hand and no damage suggests nothing.

Especially when you look at Tom Mitchell getting off for an elbow behind play.

There is no way they can suspend Mitch for a slap. I hope...

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Boy - did Stewie Dew barrack for the Cats as a kid - i know he has got fond memories of 08 as a player

Heard a snippet of his after match press conference on the ABC Radio tonight - re the wash up summary of the entire round

" Our players will learn plenty from Geelong who are a champion team and a champion club " - wow - nice words indeed

Bit of Cunico spotlight.

ezgif_com_resize_1.gif

Daniel McL

Brownlow Medallist
May 21, 2014
ACT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
Loved the forward setup against the Suns. Hawkins always looks better when playing higher up the ground. Buzza competed okay but Menzel can’t come back in for him quick enough. Murdoch was impressive but eventually will be replaced by Cockatoo (but with Murdoch’s form it allows us to bring Cocky back in the VFL first which helps).

One thing I noticed was when Gaz kicked his 2nd goal (the best one) from 50m on an angle, I paused and looked at our inside 50 setup at the time. There was Parfitt leading at him in one pocket, Jones running into the other pocket on the other side of the ground, Dangerfield one-out in the goalsquare (May was his opponent), and I noticed Hawkins was standing on the 50m line only 10-15m or so away from Gaz, and that didn’t even include Fogarty or McCarthy (they could’ve been on the bench or higher up the ground). So I really enjoyed the look of that, Hawkins plays better when higher up the ground, if you’re going to play Danger forward it has to be one-out in the goalsquare (like we do with Menzel now), and put good pressure players around them.

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
Does anybody remember which poster was always bagging Bics and hoping he left the club? He was good again last night and he’s been durable.

Blicavs has had lots of knockers over the last few years .......and it’s ironic because it’s often posters who defend blokes who are always injured.
Blicavs rarely misses, and I’ll say it again.....he’s the best utility in the game. He can play anywhere when needed

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Blicavs has had lots of knockers over the last few years .......and it’s ironic because it’s often posters who defend blokes who are always injured.
Blicavs rarely misses, and I’ll say it again.....he’s the best utility in the game. He can play anywhere when needed
What I like about Blitz is his ability to adjust on the fly. He got stitched up early then shut Lynch out, same for the last couple of weeks. Others could learn a thing or two about this facet of the game.

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
Stanley needs to focus on tackling the backside of everyone so as to be a significant contributor. I seem to remember this was a bit of what Bics did in 2013 to get into the game when he was learning it. Suspect that Chris prefers Rhys due to greater upside. I really like Smith but I suspect he’s now on the outer.

Not being a smartie here but stanley is a 27 yo in his 9th season of AFL. What is this upside you speak of?

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Stafan Martin was 28 when he had his breakout year at Brisbane in 2014, there is always hope.

Leigh Brown played a decade of fairly mundane footy at Freo, norf and the Pies before suddenly emerging in 2010 at an age close to 30 as the next Carey. The again so did Chris Dawes too, so perhaps it was the overall powerful midfield and small forwards that turned these talls into more than they had ever exhibited before. That 75 metre goal that fluked it's way through after a miracle bounce in the first quarter of the '10 PF was the stuff of nightmares.

BORIS332

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 22, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Loved the forward setup against the Suns. Hawkins always looks better when playing higher up the ground. Buzza competed okay but Menzel can’t come back in for him quick enough. Murdoch was impressive but eventually will be replaced by Cockatoo (but with Murdoch’s form it allows us to bring Cocky back in the VFL first which helps).

One thing I noticed was when Gaz kicked his 2nd goal (the best one) from 50m on an angle, I paused and looked at our inside 50 setup at the time. There was Parfitt leading at him in one pocket, Jones running into the other pocket on the other side of the ground, Dangerfield one-out in the goalsquare (May was his opponent), and I noticed Hawkins was standing on the 50m line only 10-15m or so away from Gaz, and that didn’t even include Fogarty or McCarthy (they could’ve been on the bench or higher up the ground). So I really enjoyed the look of that, Hawkins plays better when higher up the ground, if you’re going to play Danger forward it has to be one-out in the goalsquare (like we do with Menzel now), and put good pressure players around them.

F385B156-2A47-4518-BEF3-D347545163F9.jpeg

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Not being a smartie here but stanley is a 27 yo in his 9th season of AFL. What is this upside you speak of?

Mobility, speed around the ground to get to the contest. So in theory he is the perfect modern ruck except he’s missing footy nous and doesn’t seem to like the bash and crash in packs. Main attribute in rucks is to grab the ball in the contest and go.

Back