Review Geelong d Richmond by 67 points

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
First real attempt, Lynch outmarks Blicavs. Tuohy not involved.

13:45 he gets tackled after a short pass in traffic. In the centre. Ball does not end up in shot at goal before we take possession.

Caddy has a shot after losing Stanley. No Tuohy involvement at 11:25.

Zac kick out results in Geelong possession. 10:35 Martin out marks Blicavs after Duncan turnover and goals. No Tuohy involvement.

9:55 Cotchin blitzes midfield and Lynch out positions Blicavs 25m out straight in front and misses. No Tuohy.

8:55 Blicavs clearing kick smothered by Castagna and forced out in the left pocket.

8:10 Jack Henry cement hands a F50 entry after an Ablett turnover. Miers spectates as Higgins gifts Naish his first goal. Tuohy and opponent well out of the picture.

7:15 Duncan two turnovers in the space of ten seconds on the wing. No Tuohy involvement.

2:50 Tuohy forces the ball out.

2:15 Duncan kicks off the ground straight to Soldo and on to Caddy for a miss. Tuohy not involved.

0:50 Duncan gives high free to Prestia who kicks into fifty. Ablett and Henry combine to exit.

No further attempts, and we run away from that point. The game is no longer in the balance and Tuohy keeps his man completely away from the attacking zones.

So yeah, I'm still calling bull dust on you guys. The more claims like these you make without anything to back it up, the worse it looks when you actually investigate.

I think you have no idea about Tuohy. So please just stop saying he is lucky to be in the side.

Baudolino

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
bartel seems to have good insight to me, but he will never be comfortable in front of a camera. definitely a lot better than he used to be, especially during his playing days, but his wooden awkwardness is only ever just swimming below the surface, which takes away from his insights a little.

This is the area in which I find him most improved. When he first started in the media I found him painfully bereft of charisma and awkward to watch (he had a stammering delivery and it often felt like he was reading off a script) but he seems to be better in this area.

I agree he's still a bit awkward but not so bad that it stops me from appreciating his insights, which are often excellent.

Bews will get a chance when either of Tuohy or O'Connor are rested/injured. But I can't see him displacing either of them on a permanent basis. Tuohy missed the entire preseason and has played only the six games; he will get better and is one of our premier exponents by foot. O'Connor has been sublime and is no chance of being dropped.

Bews doesn't kick well and turnovers in defence are his Achilles heel. Like GHS, the Cats have persisted with Jed but the fundamental execution skills by foot are lacking. He's a depth player now.

We have the best defensive group in the competition by some margin and it would be folly to disrupt the synergy that is building. The competition in 2019 is relatively weak and we are a chance again for some silverware. We need to keep things rolling.
I don't have that memory of Bews, but fair enough you do, you are in the majority.

13:45 he gets tackled after a short pass in traffic. In the centre. Ball does not end up in shot at goal before we take possession.

Zac kick out results in Geelong possession. 10:35 Martin out marks Blicavs after Duncan turnover and goals. No Tuohy involvement.

9:55 Cotchin blitzes midfield and Lynch out positions Blicavs 25m out straight in front and misses. No Tuohy.

8:55 Blicavs clearing kick smothered by Castagna and forced out in the left pocket.

8:10 Jack Henry cement hands a F50 entry after an Ablett turnover. Miers spectates as Higgins gifts Naish his first goal. Tuohy and opponent well out of the picture.

7:15 Duncan two turnovers in the space of ten seconds on the wing. No Tuohy involvement.

2:15 Duncan kicks off the ground straight to Soldo and on to Caddy for a miss. Tuohy not involved.

0:50 Duncan gives high free to Prestia who kicks into fifty. Ablett and Henry combine to exit.

No further attempts, and we run away from that point. The game is no longer in the balance and Tuohy keeps his man completely away from the attacking zones.

So yeah, I'm still calling bull dust on you guys. The more claims like these you make without anything to back it up, the worse it looks when you actually investigate.

I think you have no idea about Tuohy. So please just stop saying he is lucky to be in the side.
Good on you for disproving my theory. I watched the replay late Friday, and I had the impression Tuohy was a culprit with looseness and errors. If your investigation continues to disprove that theory, excellent.
It's not as if our opinions would have any bearing on the selection process, but I do like the "watch the replay" . It is weird that several of us had that notion that he was below par. More than happy for that to be dismissed.
At least it's a nice game for you to review.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Good on you for disproving my theory. I watched the replay late Friday, and I had the impression Tuohy was a culprit with looseness and errors. If your investigation continues to disprove that theory, excellent.
It's not as if our opinions would have any bearing on the selection process, but I do like the "watch the replay" . It is weird that several of us had that notion that he was below par. More than happy for that to be dismissed.
At least it's a nice game for you to review.
I just don't like it when players get hacked on unfairly, and this is a clear case. He is below HIS best, but fortunately for us it is still pretty good when you look at it objectively.

He was standing Higgins in the first quarter and kept him to two touches, one of which resulted in the Naish goal. The worst you could pin on him was that he was manning up Grimes mark who delivered the kick that Higgins eventually shared.

But looking at the vision, Miers was standing with Higgins at the fall and was outworked, so I am not even going to whack Tuohy with that.

I just don't like it when players get hacked on unfairly, and this is a clear case. He is below HIS best, but fortunately for us it is still pretty good when you look at it objectively.

He was standing Higgins in the first quarter and kept him to two touches, one of which resulted in the Naish goal. The worst you could pin on him was that he was manning up Grimes mark who delivered the kick that Higgins eventually shared.

But looking at the vision, Miers was standing with Higgins at the fall and was outworked, so I am not even going to whack Tuohy with that.
I agree with you. Am often here defending Guthrie, who as you may or not agree with me about, cops way too much flak. I thought Tuohy was poor for a couple of weeks, below par, but not droppable necessarily. But I would prefer him away from defence from as far back as last year. Did not see him as good for us this week in what was a good win. But he is regaining form and fitness and it would be hypocritical of me not to afford him the same leniency in judgement that I give Sav.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree with you. Am often here defending Guthrie, who as you may or not agree with me about, cops way too much flak. I thought Tuohy was poor for a couple of weeks, below par, but not droppable necessarily. But I would prefer him away from defence from as far back as last year. Did not see him as good for us this week in what was a good win. But he is regaining form and fitness and it would be hypocritical of me not to afford him the same leniency in judgement that I give Sav.
I am also a fan of Guthrie. It is too easy to remember him looking lazy and disinterested after gut running the length of the field and making four or five pressure acts. And don't get me started on those who seem to think his hair is a factor.

You may not be wrong playing him on the wing. 11:54 in the second he puts the 60m boot on the centre clearance that ends up with Miers crumb goal from the front of the square. It's a good foot.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
IMHO, I think many are sucked in by his after siren match winner v Demons at Geelong. His past 2 seasons have been below par for a top defender. I get that he is attacking and a decent kick, but not under pressure. He has a good size body- let's put him at the coalface in the centre/wing. Or back to VFL for a while. Bews , once he is really ready, is a better lock down defender and he would complement MOC and Henry
Strongly disagree.

Mr Meow

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 7, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
IMHO, I think many are sucked in by his after siren match winner v Demons at Geelong. His past 2 seasons have been below par for a top defender. I get that he is attacking and a decent kick, but not under pressure. He has a good size body- let's put him at the coalface in the centre/wing. Or back to VFL for a while. Bews , once he is really ready, is a better lock down defender and he would complement MOC and Henry
This is starting to be overstated - that he offers no defence whatsoever. He's not playing as a loose man, so who has been kicking bags on him? Where are the numerous moments in every match where a small is outclassing him and running into an easy goal? Just because he's not playing as well as he has in the past doesn't mean his head should be on the chopping block. He can be susceptible to pressure and every team has players like these, but he has particular strengths that make it worthwhile complimenting him with players that have his missing attributes, to allow him to flourish.

There's a lot to be said for the cohesiveness generated by sticking with the same 22 unless someone is playing truly poorly. It's something we just didn't do in the past bunch of years and now that the team selection is more consistent, we are playing better. It's not as simple as saying that's causative but it certainly helps. O'Connor is playing the Bews role nicely, with added bonuses. Bews is not a like for like swap for Touhy, so it's not his spot he is competing for.

This is starting to be overstated - that he offers no defence whatsoever. He's not playing as a loose man, so who has been kicking bags on him? Where are the numerous moments in every match where a small is outclassing him and running into an easy goal? Just because he's not playing as well as he has in the past doesn't mean his head should be on the chopping block. He can be susceptible to pressure and every team has players like these, but he has particular strengths that make it worthwhile complimenting him with players that have his missing attributes, to allow him to flourish.

There's a lot to be said for the cohesiveness generated by sticking with the same 22 unless someone is playing truly poorly. It's something we just didn't do in the past bunch of years and now that the team selection is more consistent, we are playing better. It's not as simple as saying that's causative but it certainly helps. O'Connor is playing the Bews role nicely, with added bonuses. Bews is not a like for like swap for Touhy, so it's not his spot he is competing for.
Fair enough.
I'm sure this is also the thought process of CS/MC,and I will bow to that every day. I am happy reading all this because it really just emphasises how spoilt for depth we are this year.
I am also a fan of Guthrie. It is too easy to remember him looking lazy and disinterested after gut running the length of the field and making four or five pressure acts. And don't get me started on those who seem to think his hair is a factor.

You may not be wrong playing him on the wing. 11:54 in the second he puts the 60m boot on the centre clearance that ends up with Miers crumb goal from the front of the square. It's a good foot.
That's Tuohy on the wing I assume?
Tuohy is a weapon at his best, and that is really important.

Mahlepi

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2015
danger zone
AFL Club
Geelong

MOC look lost at least twice a game
he lacks awareness

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Fair enough.
I'm sure this is also the thought process of CS/MC,and I will bow to that every day. I am happy reading all this because it really just emphasises how spoilt for depth we are this year.

That's Tuohy on the wing I assume?
Tuohy is a weapon at his best, and that is really important.
He came up off the flank but got it back of the circle before putting it on the boot. Straight down the guts to a contest at the top of the square.

ADA23

Senior List
Jun 4, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Tuohy, interrupted pre season = takes time to get back to your best.
Guthrie, getting better each week, and can play several roles.
Menegola to come back.
3 games and % clear of third.
At least 6 in the 2s pushing for a game.
15 ex cats spudding it up around the traps

Great time to be a cats supporter

Find it weird how Richmond fans were talking about Garthwaite playing on Hawkins due to the absence of Rance. First time we played Richmond last year, Garthwaite made his debut and played on Hawkins while Rance played on those dangerous key forwards Cory Gregson and Lachie Fogarty.

Was weird how their most experienced key defender Grimes was playing on Rohan while they had youngsters Garthwaite and Balta playing on Hawkins and Sav respectively.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

Did you see the lazy kick off one step 2E did kicking it straight to the opposition?
Was a poor effort.
I can't remember everything he did but I remember that.
Someone has to go out for My boy Menners. (Dunno why, but apparently they just do)
After being a doubter I'm starting to think we really need Clark now.
So its probably either 2E or Henry. Neither deserve to go BTW.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Find it weird how Richmond fans were talking about Garthwaite playing on Hawkins due to the absence of Rance. First time we played Richmond last year, Garthwaite made his debut and played on Hawkins while Rance played on those dangerous key forwards Cory Gregson and Lachie Fogarty.

Was weird how their most experienced key defender Grimes was playing on Rohan while they had youngsters Garthwaite and Balta playing on Hawkins and Sav respectively.
They might want to reconsider playing Caddy as a ruck too.:drunk:

Did you see the lazy kick off one step 2E did kicking it straight to the opposition?
Was a poor effort.
Sounds like a description of Mitch Duncan on multiple occasions.

Back