Review Geelong d Richmond by 67 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you see the lazy kick off one step 2E did kicking it straight to the opposition?
Was a poor effort.
I can't remember everything he did but I remember that.
Someone has to go out for My boy Menners. (Dunno why, but apparently they just do)
After being a doubter I'm starting to think we really need Clark now.
So its probably either 2E or Henry. Neither deserve to go BTW.
I know he had a couple of turnovers, but so did a lot of others. Not the least Duncan and Blicavs. O'Connor got caught slow on disposal a couple of times. All in the first quarter.

Richmond were frenetic in that first quarter and it looked slippery, mistakes were made across the park. But none of Tuohy's resulted in a scoring attempt before the ball was held up, out of bounds or in our possession again.

Menegola will go into the half forward/wing rotating mid role again, so it's the likes of Guthrie to make way. I do not like the idea of swapping out a genuine defender to squeeze in another utility.

I know he had a couple of turnovers, but so did a lot of others. Not the least Duncan and Blicavs. O'Connor got caught slow on disposal a couple of times. All in the first quarter.

Richmond were frenetic in that first quarter and it looked slippery, mistakes were made across the park. But none of Tuohy's resulted in a scoring attempt before the ball was held up, out of bounds or in our possession again.

Menegola will go into the half forward/wing rotating mid role again, so it's the likes of Guthrie to make way. I do not like the idea of swapping out a genuine defender to squeeze in another utility.
Yep all true. Can't see Guthrie going out so it might have to be Parfitt.
For the love of God I hope it's not Atkins that makes way.

Yep all true. Can't see Guthrie going out so it might have to be Parfitt.
For the love of God I hope it's not Atkins that makes way.
I doubt Atkins. He is playing a pretty specific role in that team, and we'll. Can't see Menegola sacrificing his own game to match Atkins. So yeah, Parfitt/Guthrie - he will have to do it through the twos too. Then we have Selwood, Constable, Fogarty - maybe even Cockatoo by the end of the year. Nice spot to be in, but the mids and forwards will have to put their own cases forward this year.

Watching the third quarter again. Even their players are real thugs.

Seeing Townsend come over to lay into Clarke after he misssd the shot in the third quarter and to see how the Richmond players came in not just to break it up but to stick up for his dirty cheap hit and “ remorse” with Townsend afterwards was pretty disgusting to see.

You don’t go rewarding and patting on the back for snipe shots like that. Yet Richmond did.

Dirty scum of a club and dirty rat like supporters. Trickle down effect all the way through.

Happy to smash them and can’t wait to see them drop back down to 9th and stay where they belong. Insignificant for another 30 years

There was a bit of that sort of stuff later in the game, mainly due to frustration I'd guess (Townsend had three disposals for the night) but overall nothing much that you don't see on a weekly basis really.

Actually I was pretty disappointed, been led to believe beforehand that Richmond were going to "play the man" and was looking forward to some sixties style bash and whack early on and nothing of the sort happened.

Bews will get a chance when either of Tuohy or O'Connor are rested/injured. But I can't see him displacing either of them on a permanent basis. Tuohy missed the entire preseason and has played only the six games; he will get better and is one of our premier exponents by foot. O'Connor has been sublime and is no chance of being dropped.

Bews doesn't kick well and turnovers in defence are his Achilles heel. Like GHS, the Cats have persisted with Jed but the fundamental execution skills by foot are lacking. He's a depth player now.

We have the best defensive group in the competition by some margin and it would be folly to disrupt the synergy that is building. The competition in 2019 is relatively weak and we are a chance again for some silverware. We need to keep things rolling.

Summed it up perfectly.
Must say that we're in pretty good shape if Zach Touhy is our main "problem."

Find it weird how Richmond fans were talking about Garthwaite playing on Hawkins due to the absence of Rance. First time we played Richmond last year, Garthwaite made his debut and played on Hawkins while Rance played on those dangerous key forwards Cory Gregson and Lachie Fogarty.

Was weird how their most experienced key defender Grimes was playing on Rohan while they had youngsters Garthwaite and Balta playing on Hawkins and Sav respectively.

I believe it was Carey last year (article in the media) who argued that Rance shouldn't be the AA FB because he doesn't necessarily play on the oppositions FF or their best forward, but rather takes the 3rd forward (maybe the 2nd forward) and plays off his opponent so he can be almost the spare in defence.

It was argued that no doubt he should have been in the AA side, but that he should be the AA FB because he doesn't play that role - instead have him in the back pocket - hard to argue with any of that

I doubt Atkins. He is playing a pretty specific role in that team, and we'll. Can't see Menegola sacrificing his own game to match Atkins. So yeah, Parfitt/Guthrie - he will have to do it through the twos too. Then we have Selwood, Constable, Fogarty - maybe even Cockatoo by the end of the year. Nice spot to be in, but the mids and forwards will have to put their own cases forward this year.
Cocky shouldn't get a look in until he plays 5 FULL VFl games without management

IMHO, I think many are sucked in by his after siren match winner v Demons at Geelong. His past 2 seasons have been below par for a top defender. I get that he is attacking and a decent kick, but not under pressure. He has a good size body- let's put him at the coalface in the centre/wing. Or back to VFL for a while. Bews , once he is really ready, is a better lock down defender and he would complement MOC and Henry
Our defence would be a little too dour if they brought Bews in at Tuohys expense. He is an excellent lock down defender but really gives us nothing the other way. I suspect they want to play Tuohy into a bit of form and fitness be because without him we arent really left with a lot of run from halfback. Id prefer not to leave it all up to Stewart and an inexperienced Clark, as good as he has been so far.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Strongly disagree.
Our defence would be a little too dour if they brought Bews in at Tuohys expense. He is an excellent lock down defender but really gives us nothing the other way. I suspect they want to play Tuohy into a bit of form and fitness be because without him we arent really left with a lot of run from halfback. Id prefer not to leave it all up to Stewart and an inexperienced Clark, as good as he has been so far.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Stewart, O'Connor, Clark- fair bit of run out there.
I wouldn't want Tuohy out of the team, more on a wing, but with Kolo, Blic and MOC doing great shut down jobs already, maybe Bews is a bit redundant at present.. Anyway, we are in a very good deep position. Maybe horses for courses later on.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (inside + wings) at bounces.

Overall Summary - 22 Bounces

Kelly 20 (1w)
C.Guthrie 19 (2w)
Dangerfield 19
Duncan 18 wing
Clark 14 wing
J.Selwood 11 (8w, 3i)
Parfitt 7 (1w)
Atkins 2 (1i, 1w)

Rucks:
Stanley 17 (Soldo 17)
Ratugolea 4 (Caddy 5)
Taylor 1

1st Half - 10

C.Guthrie 10 (2w)
Kelly 9
Dangerfield 9
Duncan 8 wing
J.Selwood 8 (6w, 2i)
Clark 4 wing
Parfitt 1
Atkins 1

Stanley 6
Ratugolea 4

2nd Half - 12

Kelly 11 (1w)
Dangerfield 10
Duncan 10 wing
Clark 10 (9w, 1i)
C.Guthrie 9
Parfitt 6 (1w)
J.Selwood 3 (2w, 1i)
Atkins 1 wing

Stanley 11
Taylor 1

Notes:
- Fewest rotations for Joel Selwood in an analysed match where he wasn't injured. He was rested from the rotation in the last term, which allowed Clark to start at every bounce.
- 5 of Parfitt's 7 rotations were in the 3rd term - it was the only term you significantly utilised a 4th inside mid

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids (inside + wings) at bounces.

Overall Summary - 22 Bounces

Kelly 20 (1w)
C.Guthrie 19 (2w)
Dangerfield 19
Duncan 18 wing
Clark 14 wing
J.Selwood 11 (8w, 3i)
Parfitt 7 (1w)
Atkins 2 (1i, 1w)

Rucks:
Stanley 17 (Soldo 17)
Ratugolea 4 (Caddy 5)
Taylor 1

1st Half - 10

C.Guthrie 10 (2w)
Kelly 9
Dangerfield 9
Duncan 8 wing
J.Selwood 8 (6w, 2i)
Clark 4 wing
Parfitt 1
Atkins 1

Stanley 6
Ratugolea 4

2nd Half - 12

Kelly 11 (1w)
Dangerfield 10
Duncan 10 wing
Clark 10 (9w, 1i)
C.Guthrie 9
Parfitt 6 (1w)
J.Selwood 3 (2w, 1i)
Atkins 1 wing

Stanley 11
Taylor 1

Notes:
- Fewest rotations for Joel Selwood in an analysed match where he wasn't injured. He was rested from the rotation in the last term, which allowed Clark to start at every bounce.
- 5 of Parfitt's 7 rotations were in the 3rd term - it was the only term you significantly utilised a 4th inside mid

Not too much rotation of the inside mids. Interesting. There's been a conspicuous focus on continuity and set positions this year and this seems to be a continuation of that theme.

McIntosh, the very definition of someone wearing a '****-eating grin'.
McIntosh was so aggressive all game, sniping off the ball + just seemed to lose it.

IQHD?
Are they deliberately trying to be retro or is it just ****.

Commentators were cheering Richmond along in Q1. BT had a nervy turn about the behind that was a goal. When Geelong went wild, they had to change tack + pretend to care, well BT mostly lol

Apparently we're the tigers bitches???

Prior to 2017, Richmond had lost the past 13 times to Geelong; had not beaten them at the MCG this millennium; + last time they won, in 1999, the CEO was their centre half-forward.

So Richmond has beaten Geelong three times, IIRC + we beat them again this year + we're their bitches?

Snork - Drink Spray.gif

Prior to 2017, Richmond had lost the past 13 times to Geelong; had not beaten them at the MCG this millennium; + last time they won, in 1999, the CEO was their centre half-forward.

So Richmond has beaten Geelong three times, IIRC + we beat them again this year + we're their bitches?

View attachment 689968
Richmond time line consists of September 2017 to September 2017
Every other year doesn't count

Remove this Banner Ad

Back