Autopsy Geelong def Fremantle by 2 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched the last 30 sec again for a bit of schadenfreude and that sidestep and handball from Cox was a thing of beauty for a big bloke.
If you replay the second half of the last quarter on a standard definition TV for someone who didn't see the game, they would no doubt assume Cox was a tall midfielder the way he was moving, kicking, hand-balling. That kick inside the corridor was extraordinary - the Hills and Walters would struggle to hit that so perfectly. Deserved to end in a goal, as did the handball.

Walters one of our two worst? Nah. His disposal was below his normal high standard (60.7% DE) but he was far from our worst.

Walters: 28 disposals, 12 contested, 7 marks, 6 clangers, 6 I50's. 2 goals 1 behind:mad:.
Kersten: 4 disposals, 3 contested, 1 mark, 3 clangers, 0 I50's. 0 goals 2 behinds.
I knew someone would trump me with stats. I was only going on what I was watching...

Not playing Taberner cost us the game and the fault for that lies 100% with the match committee who simply refuse to pick a balanced side week after week after week.

That said there were plenty of positives to take out of this game, great debuts by Darcy and Deluca and career best game from Tucker.
I don't understand this at all. Tabs was playing like DS and 100% deserved to be dropped. Tabs and Kerstan are equally bad, the solution is to play neither of them. Put Darcy up there as a resting ruck at FF.

By my count we had Deluca, Darcy, Ballantyne and B Hill injured (B Hill reportedly). Yes they played out the game but still injured.

Probably wont be acknowledged by anyone, seeing as Geelong had 3 injured.
It really irritated me that the commentators could not find 10 seconds to give us an update on Deluca when he was off for an extended period, after sustaining an injury. They were too busy raving about Selwood's bravery. Amateurville by the commentators.

Going by Chris Scott's post match comments there were difficult blustery windy conditions out on the ground. That would have played some part in our turnovers in early part of the game where we had a lot of inside 50m passes that missed targets - or the forwards couldn't read the flight of the kick.

It was a game where the home team struggled to hit targets more than we did. They ended up winning the game by kicking more points and they kicked the ball out of the full quite a few times.

It really irritated me that the commentators could not find 10 seconds to give us an update on Deluca when he was off for an extended period, after sustaining an injury. They were too busy raving about Selwood's bravery. Amateurville by the commentators.
Have heard a rumour the AFL are investing a fair chunk of money in Braveheart 2, starring Joel Selwood. Channel 7 has also proposed to play dramatic music whenever he touches the ball.

Weller looked very good again. If he can break out next year even more than ke has already, I see him doing Juddy things.

Sean Darcy has to be a chance at the rising star nomination. 40 hit outs and 5 Clearances. His tap work puts Griffen to shame. He will be a beast in a year or 2.

HOs are one of many meaningless stats with regard to whether you win or lose a footy game.His clearance work was good apart from the fact that most of the scrambled kicks went directly to a Geelong player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sean Darcy has to be a chance at the rising star nomination. 40 hit outs and 5 Clearances. His tap work puts Griffen to shame. He will be a beast in a year or 2.

Certainly a stand out game but probably will be beaten by someone who has been playing well for 3-4 weeks even if their weekend game was not as good. It is just the way they do it.

I didn't watch the match live so I didn't ride the same emotional rollercoaster as anyone else. I checked the score at each quarter and was only mildly discomforted when I saw we lost by 2 points. Everyone's said everything I was going to say, but I'll frame it my own way anyhow:

- Blakely and Weller blew me out of the park, in particular Blakely's burst of speed with the ball in the dying seconds and turn around snap to find a player. Weller's two tackles inside their forward 50 were simply next level. These two guys are genuine Elite legends and I hope we can hold on to them. Langdon's got the same potential and hope he can find his way back into the team and some form soon.

- At first I felt that playing Ryan, Logue and Cox so early in their career's was a little unnecessary, as blooding 1st year players doesn't always translate to success immediately. However, with these two guys it feels like the longer they play in the side the better they're going to be. Same goes for Darcy.

- Tucker had an enormous game; can't be overstated how much he's improved in the last month. I really, truly believe we need to keep persevering with 2nd-3rd year guys like Hughes, Deluca, Collins and Grey until they're cemented in the Top 22.

- Hamling is the best player for us this year; no doubt in my mind and doesn't have his praises sung often enough.

- Our forward line is toast. It's incredible to have Ballantyne back and Deluca and Cox having a go up front but we're at a crisis point with Kersten and McCarthy. Although we lost the game as a team, it really probably was down to those guys that were the difference. Hale is fresh in the role but there's got to be some serious changes in the coming weeks. Watching Lonergan and co mopping it up every single time was more than I could bare.

I have a weirdly 2002.... maybe even 2012 feeling about this season? I actually think we could win 6-7 out of our last 9 - if we continue in this level of improvement. May or may not be enough to play finals let's see. I don't think we're getting pick 3 at the very least.

If you replay the second half of the last quarter on a standard definition TV for someone who didn't see the game, they would no doubt assume Cox was a tall midfielder the way he was moving, kicking, hand-balling. That kick inside the corridor was extraordinary - the Hills and Walters would struggle to hit that so perfectly. Deserved to end in a goal, as did the handball.

Was a great kick. Was Cox playing as a tall winger at times? Looking at his heatmap alot of his possessions were on the wings but fairly hard to pinpoint his position, Ross said he would be moved around. Great to see that he was able to not only stay involved but to impact the play where ever he played.

Screenshot_20170626-144105.png

We have some structural issues up forward (half forwards pushing too far up and not anticipating the turnover / contest win often enough to run back the other way early) that lead to Kirsten and Macca being two on three with no fall forwards in sight to crumb a halved contest (I.E. they had to try to mark it. Which with them both being hopeless contested marks is a bit of a problem). Kirsten is also not helped by not being a second tall forwards ars*hole. He'd/ll be a good player in a good team. In our transitional team he's almost a liability. Unfortunately our other options are also another player who is hopeless in a poor team (Tabs) and an 18 year old who spent 25% of the game in the ruck.

Was a great kick. Was Cox playing as a tall winger at times? Looking at his heatmap alot of his possessions were on the wings but fairly hard to pinpoint his position, Ross said he would be moved around. Great to see that he was able to not only stay involved but to impact the play where ever he played.
Looked high half forward to me. But given our lack of structure up forward who knows? So probably full forward o_O

I thought Darcy tired towards the end and kept getting dragged back into our defensive 50 which worked well for Geelong. Would have been nice to win it and we could have had Walters kicked truly at the end. One thing that really pissed me off was the commentting ... but is that another thread? "Geelong are really missing their captain" "Selwood would be showing leadership if he was on the field" .... We didn't have our captain out there so fook off!

I watched the last 60 seconds again and paused it where weller got the handball.

There was no one leading to the ball. So centering the ball was the only option where neale and walters were.

He had also ran all the way from halfback and would have been cooked so i dont think he would have had the distance in him to go for glory.

If brad hill was just a metre closer and able to catch the ball from the fist away on the full instead of bending down and having to handball he would have slotted it easily instead of handballing.

In saying that walters kicks those 9 times out of 10. So unfortunately that was the one time he missed.

I watched the last 60 seconds again and paused it where weller got the handball.

There was no one leading to the ball. So centering the ball was the only option where neale and walters were.

He had also ran all the way from halfback and would have been cooked so i dont think he would have had the distance in him to go for glory.

If brad hill was just a metre closer and able to catch the ball from the fist away on the full instead of bending down and having to handball he would have slotted it easily instead of handballing.

In saying that walters kicks those 9 times out of 10. So unfortunately that was the one time he missed.

I haven't re-looked at it so going by memory. Should Shero have lead at Weller or was that option closed off?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back