Review Geelong defeat Crows by 24 points @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

With Menegola, I think the guy gets close to the most out of himself, his talent level is not as high as some, yet he performs better than most. This demands respect in my book.
That's a fair point.

There's little worse than a talented player who simply doesn't work hard enough, who thinks he doesn't have to. My pet hate in fact.
Is that you, Ron Barassi?

Just on the Miers goal in the last 1/4..

He comes from the defensive side of the centre square to get involved in the contest outside the 50 when GAJ feeds it out to him and then runs thru 50 to kick from 40 for the goal...

its quite the effort in totality and work rate.. not to mention the skill to nail it after running that far and the aggots to back oneself in when that fatigued.

GO Catters

'Other people do it too' is not really a valid argument when looking at his finals performances when compared to during the year
Of course it is. The argument is that the vast majority of our players performed poorly in finals compared with their H&A performances. That’s why we were so s**t!

So as per the AFL player ratings, Stewart was worse on ground but he managed to get 2 votes from one of the coaches :think:

Or maybe that's just evidence that statistics don't always give the full story of a players impact and you actually need to watch the game to see what involvement they had
I don’t think you can really use those ratings to determine a “worst on ground” like that. It is a ratings system that is based on how damaging (for and against) a player’s involvement is. Players can rate negatively if their involvement results in an opposition goal. Stewart had a heavily negative quarter which really hurt his score.

The ratings have significantly more meaning judging players’ improvement across a season or a longer period of time.

Its accuracy as a system is obvious when you look at the names on the overall leader list. Hard to argue that all of the best players aren’t there.

ADELAIDE v GEELONG
10 Patrick Dangerfield (GEEL)
8 Tim Kelly (GEEL)
3 Brad Crouch (ADEL)
3 Rory Sloane (ADEL)
2 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
2 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
1 Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
1 Gary Ablett (GEEL)

Tim Kelly leading the whole shebang, too:

LEADERBOARD
26 Tim Kelly
25 Marcus Bontempelli
25 Patrick Dangerfield
22 Lachie Neale
19 Patrick Cripps
16 Luke Shuey
15 Jeremy Cameron
14 Travis Boak
14 Nat Fyfe
13 Jade Gresham
13 Daniel Rich
13 Lachie Whitfield
12 Stephen Coniglio
12 Ben Cunnington
12 Scott Lycett

Oh it's still there, that's the modern game. It's just that with greater defensive pressure on our opponents it is far more difficult to hit targets than in the past.
I definitely wouldn't call guarding the space the modern game. We've seen what wins premierships in the modern era and guarding the space doesn't cut it. With the new inclusions and added forward pressure the need to guard the space is gone. Watch games from last season where the opposition cuts us up from 50 to defense and then we'd try and get an extra behind the ball for the intercept in the back half and slowly launch an attack from there. The new players and new roles for many in the team has evolved the game plan.

I definitely wouldn't call guarding the space the modern game. We've seen what wins premierships in the modern era and guarding the space doesn't cut it. With the new inclusions and added forward pressure the need to guard the space is gone.
Zonal defence certainly is the modern game, and it's exactly what has won a number of flags since-and-including 2008. We were just poor at it over the last few years, that's all - with a lot of attacking-minded midfielders, and forwards who weren't exactly agile or fast.

Man-on-man is basically in the same basket as the dropkick and Hawthorn's custard socks. Ironically, Geelong's brutal brilliance with ball in hand was exactly what made it so redundant.

Zonal defence certainly is the modern game, and it's exactly what has won a number of flags since-and-including 2008. We were just poor at it over the last few years, that's all - with a lot of attacking-minded midfielders, and forwards who weren't exactly agile or fast.

Man-on-man is basically in the same basket as the dropkick and Hawthorn's custard socks. Ironically, Geelong's brutal brilliance with ball in hand was exactly what made it so redundant.
2008 was over 10 years ago. Are you saying that zone defense was the deciding factor in any of the recent premierships? I'm not saying zone defense isn't important and I didn't mention man on man but how we played it over the last few years was sometimes embarrassing. Just look at our inside 50 tackle averages from this year compared to last year. Clear change in game plan

2008 was over 10 years ago. Are you saying that zone defense was the deciding factor in any of the recent premierships? I'm not saying zone defense isn't important and I didn't mention man on man but how we played it over the last few years was sometimes embarrassing. Just look at our inside 50 tackle averages from this year compared to last year. Clear change in game plan

You've just said it yourself about the I50 tackle counts. This is the most noticeable area of improvement, and it's this pressure which helps the team set that defensive zone up to be so effective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2008 was over 10 years ago. Are you saying that zone defense was the deciding factor in any of the recent premierships?
Richmond 2017, yes. Their ability as a defensive unit to set up on opposition defenders and deny any space exiting the defensive fifty was incredible. They then relied on the "chaos ball" to score goals, rather than any particular structured ball movement.

Clear change in game plan
I suspect it's more so a clear change in personnel, to execute a game plan, rather than a change in plan itself. Our forward line toward the end of last year generally consisted of Menzel, Hawkins, Murdoch, Henry, Dangerfield, Parfitt and a few rotating midfielders - not exactly the best list for defensive pressure.

It took us a few goes - from memory, we were into Devon Smith etc big time - but finally we got the players that we wanted.

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. In case you missed one of these posts from the 2nd half of last season, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of the 5 mids at centre bounces.

Overall Summary - 27 Bounces

J.Selwood 23 (16w, 7i)
Dangerfield 21
Kelly 20
Constable 20 (1w)
Menegola 18 (11w, 7i)
Duncan 16 (15w, 1i)
Parfitt 15 (9w, 6i)
Rohan 1 wing
Clark 1 wing

Rucks:

Stanley 24