Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 4 points - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

This week, effectively no change (Henry for Hendo), decent break, no Murdoch, no Guthries, no Parsons, at home, yet we still lose.
We were close and could have made it a narrow win had we taken our first Q opportunities.
But GWS have shown us all that they could be in action deep in September. Today, our undoubted endeavour, home ground advantage and fair start were not enough to counter the sheer class of GWS.
We lost the last 3Q by 4 goals.
Plenty to work on and I really believe that loss will help us. We encounter a team with similar class to GWS in Hawthorn (some may scoff, but their usage of the ball is also top shelf) and if we don't beat them next week, I think that's it for us as far as top 4 aspirations.

Simply put, GWS brought a level of play in the second half well above what Geelong has seen thus far this year, more akin to a top 4 side and closer to how finals are played, and it exposed that not enough improvement has been made in personnel or play style for this side to compete at that level. The speed, the intensity, the structure, the skill. Geelong just looked like they weren't even in the same league after half time. Beating Collingwood in round 1 and then beating a couple of bottom 8 sides has perhaps cultivated the perception that more improvement has been made than is reality.

And yet we lost by 4 points after being a solitary point in front at 3/4 time.
Not good enough certainly but to say this team has not improved is ridiculous and I suspect you know that.

No excuses we need to get a lot better but I think our team of recent times may have succumbed by a lot more than 4 points.
No we weren’t lucky we lost.

GWS have a nucleus that is mature and brimming with talent we got within a kick.
Not good enough. Absolutely but stop with the predictable diatribe and at least talk to the facts.

I’ll even help a little. Stanley was ok but clearly to me he was intimidated by Mummy, seriously should have burnt Mummy going the other way.

A couple of our young ones showed they are suspect under pressure.
Harry should not have been on Cameron he is not a good one on one defender, not sure if he was on him most of the time but certainly was a lot.

Kelly had a stinker full stop.
Ablett despite a couple of clutch goals looked a bit sore, not using this as an excuse but let the opposition run off him too much.
Ratagolea needs time, I reckon he will be ok but at the moment looks better in the ruck than up forward.

You take it from here BB add a few useful comments to the bile

This week, effectively no change (Henry for Hendo), decent break, no Murdoch, no Guthries, no Parsons, at home, yet we still lose.
We were close and could have made it a narrow win had we taken our first Q opportunities.
But GWS have shown us all that they could be in action deep in September. Today, our undoubted endeavour, home ground advantage and fair start were not enough to counter the sheer class of GWS.
We lost the last 3Q by 4 goals.
Plenty to work on and I really believe that loss will help us. We encounter a team with similar class to GWS in Hawthorn (some may scoff, but their usage of the ball is also top shelf) and if we don't beat them next week, I think that's it for us as far as top 4 aspirations.

Fair viewpoint.

I think we will know exactly where geelong are and how good we are in 2019 after the next fortnight against hawthorn and west coast.

Season 2019 will be exposed.

Today we can say is an off day, but we can’t use that for the next fortnight

CGuthrie IS best 22.
Clark needs a rest maybe, Atkins?

Of course he is. Has grunt. He just gets caught too much, not knowing his limitations and thus irritates the bejezus out of supporters who expect perfection. On that note, I'd like Menegola to have the rest Scotty says their all going to have. Atkins looked lost on occasion today,but was in the better players, which won't trouble an MC looking for balance against upcoming sides. Clark's an apprentice, Tuohy maybe.

And yet we lost by 4 points after being a solitary point in front at 3/4 time.
People point at the margin like it means anything. GWS lifted after half time and Geelong could not go with them. The defence held up against the onslaught okay - good for them. We're not going too far this year if the midfield can't match the standard GWS played at in the second half, however.

People point at the margin like it means anything. GWS lifted after half time and Geelong could not go with them. The defence held up against the onslaught okay - good for them. We're not going too far this year if the midfield can't match the standard GWS played at in the second half, however.
The margin does mean something.
If this match had been played 12 months ago, and
- GWS played as well as they did yesterday, and
- Danger, Kelly and (after 1/4 time) Selwood played as poorly as they did yesterday,
then we would have lost by a lot more than 4 points.
Which means, obviously, that we have improved a lot since last year.

They played out of their skins and we played terribly and couldn’t go with them as you put it but we lost by four points.

Go figure what that means about our off day with their best footy.

Also, Dermott is an anti-Geelong flog.

Grudging, snide and sly commentary is how I’d describe him. I don’t really understand why he bothers to even commentate our games if he dislikes us so much.

The Stewart collision where two players went for the ball was a perfect example: “Good professional free”.

Its wasn’t like a tackle, Stewart was going for the ball. He couldn’t plan to get a free by ducking- all he could do was go hard at the ball low to the ground (where the ball was).

Grudging, snide and sly commentary is how I’d describe him. I don’t really understand why he bothers to even commentate our games if he dislikes us so much.

The Stewart collision where two players went for the ball was a perfect example: “Good professional free”.

Its wasn’t like a tackle, Stewart was going for the ball. He couldn’t plan to get a free by ducking- all he could do was go hard at the ball low to the ground (where the ball was).
I must admit that comment was almost the final straw for me yesterday.
Right from the start - in fact, before the start - his snidery was consistently nauseating and it severely detracted from enjoyment of the footy.

The margin does mean something.
If this match had been played 12 months ago, and
- GWS played as well as they did yesterday, and
- Danger, Kelly and (after 1/4 time) Selwood played as poorly as they did yesterday,
then we would have lost by a lot more than 4 points.
Which means, obviously, that we have improved a lot since last year.

And so have GWS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IMHO, if we are to beat GWS this year when it really counts, we need to find a way to nullify Whitfield’s impact on the game. He was influential in GWS regaining and maintaining control of today’s match (including other games this year), and is a key cog for their potential success this year.

Who in our team is capable of tagging him? It might even take 2 players sharing the responsibility - the kid runs all day long.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miracles never cease..... Even Derm reckons Danger should get a fine after that incident today.
Nothing in it... sting him a couple of grand and lets move on. He'd have that in the ash tray of his car!
Really?
He spent the entire second half bringing it up and making sure it was in the spotlight during the game?

They played out of their skins and we played terribly and couldn’t go with them as you put it but we lost by four points.

Go figure what that means about our off day with their best footy.
We didn't "play terribly" (though some of our major players had very poor games), and they didn't "play out of their skins" (though some of their major players had very good games).
Anybody who makes their assessment of the game's meaning or significance on those 2 claims is simply wrong.

What about the first half where they struggled to match us? Or do you just ignore that as it doesn't suit your standard dribbling outlook?

I must admit that comment was almost the final straw for me yesterday.
Right from the start - in fact, before the start - his snidery was consistently nauseating and it severely detracted from enjoyment of the footy.
He was unbearable yesterday, absolutely unable to hide his bias against Geelong. I swear he spent the entire game throwing Cats players under the bus or praising the Giants

IMHO, if we are to beat GWS this year when it really counts, we need to find a way to nullify Whitfield’s impact on the game. He was influential in GWS regaining and maintaining control of today’s match (including other games this year), and is a key cog for their potential success this year.

Who in our team is capable of tagging him? It might even take 2 players sharing the responsibility - the kid runs all day long.

Even before the game (and despite our great form) I wondered whether we need a stopper/run-with in the side. I think we do and when fully fit Cuthrie is the guy - has tagged well in the past and has the ability/speed to win his own ball. Tuoey could possibly be an alternative back to full fitness.

The question is who comes out? Aitkens might be that person but I think we need his forward pressure. Menegola is my candidate - his elite fitness is often valuable late in games but rarely impacts in first halves. At best he is slowish/ mid-paced and these types have to be very effective in other aspects to make up for that weakness and I’m not sure he is. In essence Chook has taken his place.

Might still go with an unchanged side for Hawks but if we get burned again by an elite mid (even if we win) and Sam is only just okay (or worse) I’d do the swap.

Last edited:
Even before the game (and despite our great form) I wondered whether we need a stopper/run-with in the side. I think we do and when fully fit Cuthrie is the guy - has tagged well in the past and has the ability/speed to win his own ball. Tuoey could possibly be an alternative back to full fitness.

The question is who comes out? Aitkens might be that person but I think we need his forward pressure. Menegola is my candidate - his elite fitness is often valuable late in games but rarely impacts in first halves. At best he is slowish/ mid-paced and these types have to be very effective in other aspects to make up for that weakness and I’m not sure he is. In essence Chook has taken his place.

Might still go with an unchanged side for Hawks but if we get burned again by an elite mid (even if we win) and Sam is only just okay (or worse) I’d do the swap.
That's pretty rough on Menegola; it's only one round back v Adelaide that he played an excellent 4-quarter game.

Derm the germ and umpires living rent free in posters heads :$:$:$
This place is as bad as the conspiracy board sometimes

Call him what you like. He's so good he was freaking retired last year. Comes out of it at an old age and outplays us on our patch. We're not a small side or necessarily an inexperienced one either so if we let him push is around that shows about how much intent we had today.
Really? Mumford was serviceable at best. The ruck duel had no bearing on the outcome of the game.
Gotta disagree. I thought clearances had a massive bearing on deciding the game.
Mummy was getting it down to them so often in the second half.
clearances were 37-38 for the game.

FWIW Stanley led Geelong in clearances with 5, Mumford had 2

That was not the point(losing margin)you ignored everything else I said.
A little convenient.

Suffice to say in all honesty if I was Leon Cameron I would be concerned about dominating much of the last half, especially the last quarter( a 6 point turn around) and win by just 5.

Funnily a lot in here saying exactly the same about the Cats we don’t transfer our dominance on the scoreboard and nether did the Giants particularly in the last.

Put simply we were up against a very good experienced team, basically a core group who have been together for years.
We couldn’t,t go with them and yet in time we may?

That’s the beauty of this comp no single team is immune to this scenario.
Compared to last year we are really having a go and that’s comforting, just weren’t capable of delivering on it yesterday

Remove this Banner Ad

Back