Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 4 points - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

We played very poorly. Danger, Sel, Kelly all were poor. The midfield completely broke down in the second half. We should have lost by 4-6 goals. yet with a minute left we were still only 4 points down and with a little luck could have stolen it. Better that we didn't steal it, I hope they fix things for Hawthorn.

O'Connor impressed several times. As did Rohan.

Cam Guthrie will play VFL tomorrow, he along with Zuthrie, Abbott, Narkle and Buzza are probably the only ones pushing for a spot. I don't know if Tuohy will be available for the Hawthorn game but you would think at least a game or a half game in the VFL would be desirable. I'm guessing short of an injury (or suspension) or a blinder by Guthrie then it will probably be no change for the Easter Monday game.
‘A blinder by Guthrie’ ....what would that look like? Never seen one!

Really? Mumford was serviceable at best. The ruck duel had no bearing on the outcome of the game.

clearances were 37-38 for the game.

FWIW Stanley led Geelong in clearances with 5, Mumford had 2
You know the mids have been cooked when your ruckman wins the clearances! Couldn’t believe how precise and composed they were under pressure.

IMHO, if we are to beat GWS this year when it really counts, we need to find a way to nullify Whitfield’s impact on the game. He was influential in GWS regaining and maintaining control of today’s match (including other games this year), and is a key cog for their potential success this year.

Who in our team is capable of tagging him? It might even take 2 players sharing the responsibility - the kid runs all day long.
Guthrie.

He would eat Guthrie alive... no thanks
A fit Guthrie kept up with Brownlow Dusty.
Who else? He runs, has a tank, can concentrate.
Maybe Rowan.
Tbh, we have no matchups for their MF or Whitfield, and if we aren't winning the ball, we will not beat them. Might have to accept that harsh reality, that unless they are off their game, which happened last year, they have our measure. Of course the players don't throw in the towel as a team, but as supporters, why expect the illogical?

Last edited:
Cam Guthrie’s best game was against Adelaide at the AO in 2016 I believe, if I recall had something like 38 touches and was everywhere involved in many plays.

Another excellent performance that stands out for me was his effort in the 2013 PF against the Hawks, superb off the HBF.

No doubt he has gone backwards when he should be entering his prime.

Well, it was ours to lose, and we did. It's not like we didn't turn up, like in previous years when we pulled those really frustrating losses at home. But the facts are that we should have iced this game by half time. Unbelievably poor skill errors not only cost us goals, momentum and confidence but gifted them goals and belief. The question surely has to be asked just what does our coaching staff do on these extended days between games and during the dreaded Bye? Certainly doesn't look like any skills work gets worked on. Execution of skills, particularly under pressure, is essential if we are to contend against teams like the Dawks and the Pies. The good news is we've got another 9 days to work on them.

Right before the game, I said to my partner 'keep an eye on number 6, he'll tear us apart if we let him get off the chain.' After about 10 minutes, I'd already lost count of the amount of times I'd said 'f*cking put someone on Lachie Whitfield!'

The other difference in that loss was that it was not all over at quarter time, they did not smash us early on. They methodically beat us on the spread after quarter time by 4 goals.
Nothing to really fight that with as we were simply not up to their standard yesterday.
Who knows if we get another go at them that we can improve on that.

Last edited:
We didn't "play terribly" (though some of our major players had very poor games), and they didn't "play out of their skins" (though some of their major players had very good games).
Anybody who makes their assessment of the game's meaning or significance on those 2 claims is simply wrong.

Of cause you can take slot from that. If their top players are all playing blinders and our top players and having some of their worst matches in their history with the club yet the margin ends of being a kick, it sheds a lot of optimism for us next time around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Right before the game, I said to my partner 'keep an eye on number 6, he'll tear us apart if we let him get off the chain.' After about 10 minutes, I'd already lost count of the amount of times I'd said 'f*cking put someone on Lachie Whitfield!'
Totally agree, but who has his pace and fitness?
Can only think of rotating guys like Rowan and???

Totally agree, but who has his pace and fitness?
Can only think of rotating guys like Rowan and???

Gotta bring Guthrie in and just confine him to that role. Do it a bit like Harmes, where he can still win his own ball, but the opposition don't get any easy outside possessions. It's what he seems best suited at, and his best position is midfield as well, so it works

He's been down all year really, he's either not fit or terribly out of form.
He did have an interrupted pre-season IIRC so could just be lacking some touch but right now he's a liability as a pure mid.
He's not playing as a pure mid, he's been given different roles this year, and he said last week he had no preseason and is playing games to get up to speed. He is allowed that "luxury", and he is in no way a liability.

Gotta bring Guthrie in and just confine him to that role. Do it a bit like Harmes, where he can still win his own ball, but the opposition don't get any easy outside possessions. It's what he seems best suited at, and his best position is midfield as well, so it works
I said Guthrie earlier, but that has been quashed apparently.

For all our improvement with forward pressure this year, how many bounces did GWS have in our forward 50?
It seemed at times they literally ran the ball out of our forward line with ease and no one was game to go near them and put any pressure on them

I thought it was and it was taking away my chance you guys had of pinching back the lead. Was a cracker game and that decision just nullified what could have been a classic ending at the end. I really like Jordan Clark he has that look in his eye, gonna be a very good player.
Wasn't why we lost but it was a bit frustrating at the death. Should have locked them out in the first quarter when we were getting unpressured entries from centre bounces.
Their marking work just took the pressure off them and worked them back in, similar to last year's grandy. Big opportunity for a high skill side like Hawks to copy homework. Having only played once in 2 and a half weeks going into the hawks match is more concerning for me tbh

He's not playing as a pure mid, he's been given different roles this year, and he said last week he had no preseason and is playing games to get up to speed. He is allowed that "luxury", and he is in no way a liability.

I didn't say he's a liability in the team, I said as a pure mid (literally the 3 around the centre).
He went in a few times against GWS and was easily beaten every time (either by pace, fumbles or falling over), I like him on the wing and I'm more than comfortable with him playing games to get his touch but I don't think Selwood should ever be a "break in case of emergency" midfield option.
I'd rather Dahl inside the centre square in that case, at the moment.

I didn't say he's a liability in the team, I said as a pure mid (literally the 3 around the centre).
He went in a few times against GWS and was easily beaten every time (either by pace, fumbles or falling over), I like him on the wing and I'm more than comfortable with him playing games to get his touch but I don't think Selwood should ever be a "break in case of emergency" midfield option.
I'd rather Dahl inside the centre square in that case, at the moment.
Fair points. And I should have omitted the liability part because that point was and is a good one
I'd like him in the centre, get the ball out to someone who can run.
But anywhere he plays he gives 100% but yesterday he may have been < par.

Fair points.
I'd like him in the centre, get the ball out to someone who can run.
But anywhere he plays he gives 100% but yesterday he may have been < par.

I think the most disappointing part of yesterdays 2nd half,was that we were unable too stem the flow from GWS midfields dominance.
I thought Danger was good in the first half,but along with Kelly,Selwood,Menegola was virtually unsighted in the 2nd half.
We needed someone too stand up,especially around the ball ,bu it wasnt too be.
Add in Mumfords efforts in the 2nd half,too exert an influence,and claw his way back into the contest after being beaten early by Stanley,and you get the result we did.

The margin does mean something.
If this match had been played 12 months ago, and
- GWS played as well as they did yesterday, and
- Danger, Kelly and (after 1/4 time) Selwood played as poorly as they did yesterday,
then we would have lost by a lot more than 4 points.
Which means, obviously, that we have improved a lot since last year.
Yes agree. I was listening in the car and waiting for the avalanche which did not come. So credit for that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back