Autopsy Geelong defeated by GWS by 4 points - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I am flummoxed at how the Giants were able to flibble, foible and somehow just have the ball exit a contested situation to land to a team mate with the regularity of today. Geelong put in, effort was there, although Selwood, Kelly and a few others were rather quiet. I think the top five possession getters on the ground were Giants, which doesn't happen that often at KP.

Menegola's miss from the top of the square was very costly, Geelong would have been 5 goals up after that. But from that point on the Giants just closed Geelong down. It was such a pity that Rohan's massive efforts to force turnovers and smothers in the last quarter were totally unrewarded, hopefully that sort of stuff gets some justice in weeks to come. I'm not sure arsiness is a basis for Premiership footy, but the Giants are very talented and those early picks now have 100 games plus on them now.

We just have to beat Hawthorn next week to get back on track. It won't be easy, but i hope they can not drop the head and just keep putting in. They didn't do too much wrong today in effort, but crucial turnovers and bombed forward entries late in the game were just costly in the end.

Beaten in tackles easily 66 - 57
Beaten in contested possession easily 131 - 119

These are the key effort indicators. You're not winning many games against good opposition with that discrepancy. You'd need to be very efficient up forward, more efficient than the opposition.

We couldn't win a contest in that last term, when the ball went to ground it was theirs. Our pressure in the forward line, which has been so great this year was absent. It just came straight out, again and again.

This is why teams find it so hard to string wins together in today's game. It's just so dependent on effort and intent, and ours was not very good today. Many of our key players were down at once too, Dangerfield, Kelly, Menegola, Selwood.

I thought Stewart, Ablett and Hawkins were good. Duncan and Parfitt were the better mids, they're just not as effective as Kelly or Dangerfield.

3-1 is still a good start, no question.

Well that's well and truly blown our aura, just in case anyone was thinking we were a sure thing to start 4-0.

Only one game, but it was a huge one to lose to a premiership contender at our home, an opposition that had never won here previously.

Absolutely thrashed in the midfield, the defence held up well considering how many Giants entries they had to contend with.

Geelong continually bombed their kicks whether out of defence or into attack which resulted in turnover after turnover after...

Giants and Eagles the best teams I've looked at this season so far, us and Collingwood a fair way behind on the next level. Could be a different story within the next few weeks - we'll see.

Last edited:
It’s a testament to our first three weeks that we can drop a close one like that and still finish the round at the top of the ladder.
Too many passengers today, and part of our growth is admitting that.
We weren’t outplayed, we simply didn’t do a lot of things that we did in the first 3 weeks.
Our senior division were especially dissapointing, but playing so poorly and getting so close is bloody terrific.
Nothing that a bit of grunt work, and change of attitude won’t fix.
They had 80 possessions more than us, and nearly doubled our centre clearances. You don’t win games of footy with those sort of numbers.

Missed first half
The midfield seemed well beaten in the second
I'll watch the game before I do my MVPs
Where was Danger second half? Heard he was reported in second, was it a bad report

We were outrun in that last 15 mins. Doesn’t change anything really - we are a premiership threat this year.

Also, Dermott is an anti-Geelong flog.
It changes a lot - we need to fix those areas, whether they are attitude or fitness. They were one down in their midfield most of the game and we were outrun - questions there. If we want to be like we have for eight years then we should just gloss over and say it ‘doesn’t change anything really’. Then we’ll probably lose another final or prelim. Lots of improvement shown up in positioning and intensity around the ball. The defensive pressure on GWS was markedly different in the last three quarters compared to first; where we didn’t capitalise on our dominance (which can be an historical issue for us in recent years). Think they should have ran selwood, duncan and parfitt through the midfield for a little more time, taking up Constable’s time as he was off today and exposed for pace and intensity. Think he is an awesome player but needs to play to his strengths and build his pace a fraction through training. He will be even better in years to come as his body builds even more. Think against fast GWS midfield he looked of pace which should be emphasised in the review. That, along with Kelly being a shadow of himself this week, allowed a GWS midfield, one down, to dominate as the game progressed. This put pressure on the defence which had some positioning issues (where they are normally brilliant). Things to work on for sure. Not a major issue, but changes stuff for sure. Let’s see what they learnt.

Aside from that, totally agree with your Dermie comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS will never be a real premiership threat but their tactics completely outplayed us.

Our midfield were destroyed because they got extra numbers at the contest and were prepared to work hard.

We blew it in the first half when we failed to capitalise on our dominance. Having Taylor on Cameron for so long was a coaching error.

As poorly as we played - and it was the worst we've played in a while - we only just lost.

We'll make finals but we won't contend because we still can't fix our forward entries nor fix the oppositions movement from a kick-in.

Missed first half
The midfield seemed well beaten in the second
I'll watch the game before I do my MVPs
Where was Danger second half? Heard he was reported in second, was it a bad report
Not reported. But will be likely cited with off the ball hit to De Boar. Swung an arm behind him, De Boar doubled over, and copped a light hit on the head as Danger went for a second backhand to the body.

I thought it was and it was taking away my chance you guys had of pinching back the lead. Was a cracker game and that decision just nullified what could have been a classic ending at the end. I really like Jordan Clark he has that look in his eye, gonna be a very good player.
The fact that you're here seconds after a Geelong loss paints your picture. Now go away you condescending twat.

Failed to capitalise when we dominated early. Menegola misses a shot in the 3rd that he'd gobble up 9/10 times and we go from potentially 4 goals up to scores level in a matter of minutes. Once we were back to level pegging we just seemed panicked, bombing in hope forward and allowing Haynes to repel us every time. Forward pressure was down a bit too - the chases were still there but felt like less tackles were sticking.

At least SavRat improved upon recent performances.

One thing we need to work on is kick-ins. Sick of Stewart kicking to the pocket, hemming us in and allowing the opposition to set up.
He's literally allowed to run and bomb it from the same exact place he passes to most of the time. I'd rather have the kick go straight to the flank as opposed to giving the opposition the added time to get men there.

Bitterly disappointed in the result but I woulda taken 3-1 in a heartbeat when I saw the fixture a the start of the year.

Enjoy your win, Biggy! Tough first month but you can finally give the club a kicking!

This.
Been saying it since the rule change, take the space and run it and kick long to atleast a contest on the flank/wing.
This dinky nothing kick BACKWARDS to the pocket does nothing, in fact it favours the opposition because it halves the ground.
Yet we do it almost every time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back