Autopsy Geelong defeated by Port by 16 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

What were his mistakes on Thursday night?
Selecting our team? The best 22 available? The 22 that most said were our best? No excuses!!
Were we run over in quarter 1? No. He has learned from that previous "mistake"
Allowing Henry to be indecisive and slow at the wrong time?
Allowing Hawkins to miss all his shots on goal?
Allowing Duncan to be indecisive just before the siren so we missed a scoring shot???
You guys never learn from your errors. Talk about overreaction to a loss. There were no similarities to previous losses, other than the predictability of a loss against a better team at their home in SA.
If the boys win next week, against Pies or WCE, at least we have beaten another top 8 team. If not, no shock- both teams already showed they can beat us.
It wasn't our best 22 though. Too many defenders, too many slow players, not enough attacking options. When we went over 10 points down I couldn't work out where the goals would come from since Hawkins had the yips. Thats poor planning on his behalf. You had Taylor struggling in defense and Stanley dominating the ruck, why not throw Harry forward and Blicavs back? Try something other than Danger to full forward because that ended up gutting our midfield.

Henry is one of the "too many defenders" problem. Shouldn't have been in the team.
Hawkins can't be relied on to kick all the goals. Did the Richmond game teach Scott nothing? Richmond locked Hawkins down and we had nothing until Esava scored in the last quarter. But you can't rely on Esava, so you have to bring in Jenkins who is a better set shot.
Duncan can't see the clock and would be shooting for goal from 55m+. He made the right decision we just ran out of time. Parfitt was the bad decision. Within range but didn't go back and take the shot.

There were similarities to the Richmond loss. And the Adelaide and Sydney near misses.

And the Bulldogs game is the one they should watch. Too defensive first quarter and a half, changed the side to a more attacking formation from 2nd quarter onwards. What was the result again?

It wasn't our best 22 though. Too many defenders, too many slow players, not enough attacking options. When we went over 10 points down I couldn't work out where the goals would come from since Hawkins had the yips. Thats poor planning on his behalf. You had Taylor struggling in defense and Stanley dominating the ruck, why not throw Harry forward and Blicavs back? Try something other than Danger to full forward because that ended up gutting our midfield.

Henry is one of the "too many defenders" problem. Shouldn't have been in the team.
Hawkins can't be relied on to kick all the goals. Did the Richmond game teach Scott nothing? Richmond locked Hawkins down and we had nothing until Esava scored in the last quarter. But you can't rely on Esava, so you have to bring in Jenkins who is a better set shot.
Duncan can't see the clock and would be shooting for goal from 55m+. He made the right decision we just ran out of time. Parfitt was the bad decision. Within range but didn't go back and take the shot.

There were similarities to the Richmond loss. And the Adelaide and Sydney near misses.

And the Bulldogs game is the one they should watch. Too defensive first quarter and a half, changed the side to a more attacking formation from 2nd quarter onwards. What was the result again?
You tell me our best 22 before the Port game. How many said here on BF- best team- no excuses?

Last edited:
You tell me our best 22 before the Port game. How many said here on BF- best ream- no excuses?
I thought the general consensus on Wednesday night was, "good changes, sensible changes. The best team we can put on the field for the structure we play"

The only selection I really remember being contentious leading up to selection was Steven or Atkins - I know Close was suggested but was there an obvious out without changing the structure

You tell me our best 22 before the Port game. How many said here on BF- best ream- no excuses?
I have, and still have, Close and Clark in our team and one of Taylor, Kolo or Henry out. Thats at minimum. I wanted Close to come in for Steven, we got Atkins who did worse than Steven did V Sydney.

My ideal team for next week regardless of who we play is the same.

FB: Bews, Henderson, O'Connor (Kolo on bench to swap)
HB: Stewart, Blicavs, Tuohy (Clark on bench to swap)
C: Duncan, Selwood, Menegola
R: Stanley (swap with Jenkins), Dangerfield, Guthrie
HF: Close, Jenkins, Ablett
FF: Miers, Hawkins, Rohan
IC: Parfitt, Clark, Kolo/Taylor, Narkle/Dahlhaus/Steven

That gives you Henderson, Kolo/Taylor and Blicavs to deal with Kennedy/Darling or Mihocek/Cox, Bews or O'Connor to deal with Ryan, Tuohy/Stewart/Bews/Clark bringing the ball with either better kicking or decision making or speed out of defense. Plus Menegola and Duncan drop deep at times too.

You have Hawkins as key marking forward, Rohan and Jenkins as smaller marking forwards, Close and Rohan as pressure forwards, Miers for goal sense and crumbing and Ablett for f50 delivery (plus he was putting in pressure and tackles V Port).

Then on the bench you have Parfitt for midfield rotation, Clark for midfield/defensive rotation, Kolo or Taylor depending on key forwards, and you pick one of Narkle/Dahl/Steven for your last part time forward/mid.

That team would have beaten Port because Jenkins and Close would have assisted or popped up for at least 2 goals and 1 assist. And then you have Bews lock down Motlop so that we didn't have to watch him kick 2 goals off Kolo.

This has been my Ted talk.

Not only did was smash them by 10 goals but on friday we were injury free and our older players were fresh.
I don’t get it. So are you saying that form automatically transfers so we can play the team that finished top of the ladder, on their home ground, 6 weeks later, and the result will be the same? Did you really think that tommy would be allowed to kick 6 goals again? Have you not noticed our form has dropped off a bit in the last month? Did you see the game against Doggies? Richmond? Sydney? Have you seen their last 6 weeks- didn’t play top teams but ran themselves into some good form. A week is a long time in footy, 6 weeks is an age.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have, and still have, Close and Clark in our team and one of Taylor, Kolo or Henry out. Thats at minimum. I wanted Close to come in for Steven, we got Atkins who did worse than Steven did V Sydney.

My ideal team for next week regardless of who we play is the same.

FB: Bews, Henderson, O'Connor (Kolo on bench to swap)
HB: Stewart, Blicavs, Tuohy (Clark on bench to swap)
C: Duncan, Selwood, Menegola
R: Stanley (swap with Jenkins), Dangerfield, Guthrie
HF: Close, Jenkins, Ablett
FF: Miers, Hawkins, Rohan
IC: Parfitt, Clark, Kolo/Taylor, Narkle/Dahlhaus/Steven

That gives you Henderson, Kolo/Taylor and Blicavs to deal with Kennedy/Darling or Mihocek/Cox, Bews or O'Connor to deal with Ryan, Tuohy/Stewart/Bews/Clark bringing the ball with either better kicking or decision making or speed out of defense. Plus Menegola and Duncan drop deep at times too.

You have Hawkins as key marking forward, Rohan and Jenkins as smaller marking forwards, Close and Rohan as pressure forwards, Miers for goal sense and crumbing and Ablett for f50 delivery (plus he was putting in pressure and tackles V Port).

Then on the bench you have Parfitt for midfield rotation, Clark for midfield/defensive rotation, Kolo or Taylor depending on key forwards, and you pick one of Narkle/Dahl/Steven for your last part time forward/mid.

That team would have beaten Port because Jenkins and Close would have assisted or popped up for at least 2 goals and 1 assist. And then you have Bews lock down Motlop so that we didn't have to watch him kick 2 goals off Kolo.

This has been my Ted talk.
ok, now off the fence, and tell us your 22, 22 only, none of these options.

I don’t get it. So are you saying that form automatically transfers so we can play the team that finished top of the ladder, on their home ground, 6 weeks later, and the result will be the same? Did you really think that tommy would be allowed to kick 6 goals again? Have you not noticed our form has dropped off a bit in the last month? Did you see the game against Doggies? Richmond? Sydney? Have you seen their last 6 weeks- didn’t play top teams but ran themselves into some good form. A week is a long time in footy, 6 weeks is an age.
Hawkins could have kicked 5 if he kicked straight. Choked big time.

Huh? I cant figure out who you are trying to make an excuse for?

He’s usually pretty good at nailing them. But yeah 5 is a stretch. Should easily have kicked at least 3 though.
The odds would suggests 80 percent probability for the 2 shots not on the boundary. And a 10-15 percent probability for the other 3. That would suggest he should of kicked around 2 of those 5 goals.

not counting the shot with 1.5 minute on the clock as he clearly rushed it straight away so he didnt waste any more seconds on the clock.

The odds would suggests 80 percent probability for the 2 shots not on the boundary. And a 10-15 percent probability for the other 3. That would suggest he should of kicked around 2 of those 5 goals.

not counting the shot with 1.5 minute on the clock as he clearly rushed it straight away so he didnt waste any more seconds on the clock.
He’s usually such a beautiful kick. Finals mess with his head though.

Not really. Finishing top two does not necessarily mean an automatic GF. Choking was in the 2008 GF, I don't think claiming all our losses were choking. Hawkins missing those goals choked, Scott's fault?

I never said anywhere making top two makes a grand final everytime lol I mean clearly if I'm writing this I know it's not true. I'm not blaming just Scott it's the clubs as a whole who has choked this period up Chris Scott is a constant because he has been head coach this whole time.

I just said the cats are now meme level in finals. The record is terrible of recent times like the mods or cats_09 can write some table detailing why it's not so bad or why the cats aren't choking. It was this player or that player or this team or x thing. The bye or first quarter thing is just from pressure. Geelong wasn't really a minor premier level team.

Finishing in the top 2 isn't that important etc.

Since 2000

1st, 2nd, 3rd accounts for 19 of the last 20 premiers. Bulldogs the outlier from 7th.

Now to Geelong

2013 - Second ( Prelim )
2014 - Third ( Semi )
2016 - Second ( prelim )
2017 - Second ( prelim )
2019 - Minor P ( Prelim )

The incredible part is to not make a grand final see I based my actual stats on winning a premiership. Over the last 20 years you go at over a 30% clip if you make top 3.

So to just not make it by accident 5 times is pretty remarkable and leads to the meme

Screenshot_20201003-134744_Chrome_copy_1389x1259.jpg

Missed the Hawkins fine. Just watched the incident and comment. He was being held so shouldn't it have been a free kick. And it was right in front of goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back