Autopsy Geelong defeated by Port by 16 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Missed the Hawkins fine. Just watched the incident and comment. He was being held so shouldn't it have been a free kick. And it was right in front of goal.

Can I ask where you saw the footage

Sorry to intrude but this thread title is a little mis-leading .
‘ Defeated by umpiring , Port record 16 point win ‘ may be more appropriate
At key moments early in the game you blokes were screwed over hard .

That tends to happen at away games or Geelong home finals where the pressure from the noise of opposition supporters drown out coherent thought.

That tends to happen at away games or Geelong home finals and the pressure from the noise of opposition supporters drown out coherent thought.
It was more noticeable as a neutral supporter than I had seen before . When you had all the momentum In the second and were on the edge of putting some serious score pressure on , the umpiring went next level .

Breaking news from AFL app. Cats actually won the game against PA

Attachments

• E0A483CA-6AD6-49D9-9006-4C92DAE052AB.jpeg
    E0A483CA-6AD6-49D9-9006-4C92DAE052AB.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 40
Breaking news from AFL app. Cats actually won the game against PA
And now it's changed again - wonder what the odds were for the exact same scoreline in both matches to be played so far...

6D12D9A5-1CD1-4F4A-AF81-096C5C3A7A43.jpeg 63DA2F7E-2DCE-4B86-A303-11FD9FB297FA.png 73A3877D-5BE4-4FD7-9BF5-9B4CFA07EB45.png

Is our semi likely to be the Friday night?
I heard Saturday night but not quite sure

Normally the higher ranked team gets the extra day break in regards to the prelim to grand final time frame - that would suggest Port playing the prelim on Friday night & the Lions prelim being Saturday night

I think they try to get 7 days between semi finals up prelim finals - that would suggest the Tigers vs Saints/Dogs on Friday, and Cats vs Eagles/Pies on Saturday

Or I could be completely wrong, in which case ignore everything I just said

Why was Kolo frequently on him in contests.

We shoehorned extra defenders in, then not only couldn't hold them to a low score but couldn't kick one ourselves.

I am getting shredded on one of the Geelong FB pages, but we lost this match in selection, again.

Assuming Hawkins kicks a bag, or doesn't get injured was a fools game. Once Hawkins had the yips Port left an average defender on him. Who stepped up? No one. Jenkins or even ******* Fort would have been a better option.

Scotts weird fetish with Blicavs out of defense has to stop. As does his weird love of having Miers and Dahlhaus up the ground.

Team balance is a mess, in match strategies are a mess. Have been for 4 weeks now.

If I were coaching (facebook flogs remind me I am not, but then again my finals record isn't a mess) I would line up next week with;

Defense;
FB: Bews, Kolo, O'Connor (Henderson on bench to swap)
HB: Stewart, Blicavs, Tuohy (Clark on bench to swap)

Cap the defense at 8. Rotate Blicavs, Henderson and Kolo on either Darling/Kennedy or Cox/Mihocek. You are then letting Stewart and Tuohy with longer, more direct kicking bring the ball out of defense, or having Clark and Bews break the lines because those two seem to be the only two who like to go for a run.

Midfield
C: Duncan, Selwood, Menegola
R: Stanley (swap with Jenkins), Dangerfield, Guthrie

Not even sure why you would have Dahlhaus and Atkins at a centre bounce, not once but twice.

HF: Close, Jenkins, Ablett
FF: Miers, Hawkins, Rohan

IC: Parfitt, Clark, Henderson, Narkle/Steven

That line up gives us a second scoring forward in Jenkins, a pressure forward in Close (asking a lot of a rookie with 8 games but he tries and pressures, Atkins was a ******* bust and Dahlhaus has been ordinary), Miers has great goal sense so why the fu** is he always on the HBF, Wing or HFF when he should be much deeper.

Parfitt, Narkle/Steven are midfield depth. Id prefer Narkle because he offers more, but we brought in Steven because he attacks and tackles. What did we lack last night? And we dropped him for Atkins?

People online who railed Steven last week very quiet when I point out his "sh*t" game last week was better than Atkins this week. Funny that.
I'll put my hand up there bagging Steven last week. I much would have rathered Steven in those crucial bounces than Atkins.

I appreciate the considered response here and all of this might be considered a reasonable argument *except* that we continue to make top 4 at the end of H & A with some very good victories over other highly rated teams (e.g. PA during the season). And, I might add, top 2 at end of H & A in some years. No amount of spin or other reasoning can hide the fact that this team *underperforms* significantly in finals and has done so in every campaign they've been in since the 2011 flag. Finals require a higher level of mental toughness and ability to handle greater pressure as well as a game plan that works in this higher pressure environment. As head coach, Scott has been profoundly *unable* to prepare the team on either of these fronts. The buck stops at him on these issues. The finals record (which just got worse after Thursday night) speaks for itself. Suggesting otherwise seems to be a form of denial of this (harsh) reality...
Which is why I'm putting that we have a very good coach who is getting the absolute best out of an average list.

Having a tall ruckman could be the answer. Why not bring in Darcy Fort and have him swapping with Stanley. Fort competes well when the ball hits the ground and is also a good set shot at goal. Oscar MacInerny at 204cm has been very important to Brisbane's recent success. Darcy Fort is also 204cm. It could really tip the midfield battle in our favour. It allows Stanley or Fort to play forward for part of the game forcing the opposition to cover 2 tall targets. It would also allow us to play Blicavs at centre half back where he is good one on one and it is not unusual for him to break the lines with his pace. I think in that case you drop Taylor for Fort as Henderson is in very good form.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a shame.

Maybe Constable gets a go instead.
Maybe Simpson or Narkle - both seemed to go ok into today's scratch match:

- CATS midfielder Sam Simpson has had a promising return from injury in a convincing Geelong scratch match victory over Richmond.

Simpson kicked two goals in a full four quarters of football, positioned all over the ground as he showed no signs of his extended layoff.

- Simpson was one of Geelong’s strongest performers, alongside Quinton Narkle who dominated from the midfield.

Narkle also managed to boot two majors, while commanding the clearances and displaying his trademark powerful contested ball winning ability.

“Narks was looking really energetic today which was good,” Simpson says.

“He played really well to his strengths, using that stiff arm and getting a lot of the footy.”

A little less was said on Constable & Fogarty
- “Chooka Contstable and Lachie Fogarty (were good), you’re probably hearing the same names each week but it’s a real credit to them, they continue to back it up and play the right way.”

All from the link on the tweet above

Footage from today on the second slide - good to see our talls standing strong & taking contested marks

I did find it interesting though when Simpson said today was probably the first time they've played 18 vs 18 & had a bench in these scratch matches - can't wait to see a return of the second tier comp next year

I'm not sure why most of our supporters would have thought we'd win that comfortably.
I don't know any . Just the provocateurs on BF so that they can act as if they've been cheated when it doesn't happen.

Maybe Simpson or Narkle - both seemed to go ok into today's scratch match:

- CATS midfielder Sam Simpson has had a promising return from injury in a convincing Geelong scratch match victory over Richmond.

Simpson kicked two goals in a full four quarters of football, positioned all over the ground as he showed no signs of his extended layoff.

- Simpson was one of Geelong’s strongest performers, alongside Quinton Narkle who dominated from the midfield.

Narkle also managed to boot two majors, while commanding the clearances and displaying his trademark powerful contested ball winning ability.

“Narks was looking really energetic today which was good,” Simpson says.

“He played really well to his strengths, using that stiff arm and getting a lot of the footy.”

A little less was said on Constable & Fogarty
- “Chooka Contstable and Lachie Fogarty (were good), you’re probably hearing the same names each week but it’s a real credit to them, they continue to back it up and play the right way.”

All from the link on the tweet above
So narkle dominated two weeks in a row now. Exactly what we need. Some energy And spark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back