Autopsy Geelong defeated by Port by 16 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

And we have nuffies who want him traded. lol, at least he's showing some heart. Not even guys in their late 20's can give us that much.
Sure' he has deficiencies but he puts his head over the ball and has developed with each passing season to date.
Sounds like he's about to sign a new deal with us anyway thankfully. If we start turfing 22 year olds who can play like him we may as well just shut up shop.

And we have nuffies who want him traded. lol, at least he's showing some heart. Not even guys in their late 20's can give us that much.
Sure' he has deficiencies but he puts his head over the ball and has developed with each passing season to date.

Parfitt copped a far bit early on in this thread after the match, but if I was giving B&F votes I'd have given him the most votes of anyone in the team last Thursday. His efficiency with the ball was down and he made a mess of the scoring opportunity late in the first quarter (although I wouldn't lump all the blame with him for that moment), but he found plenty of the ball and was probably our only player who looked committed and showed some passion across all four quarters of the match (Selwood possibly another).

Hope he signs a new deal and sticks around with us for many years to come, I've enjoyed seeing him develop and as he continues to grow deficiencies such as slow to move on the ball and somewhat-average disposal efficiency have an opportunity to improve

Parfitt copped a far bit early on in this thread after the match, but if I was giving B&F votes I'd have given him the most votes of anyone in the team last Thursday. His efficiency with the ball was down and he made a mess of the scoring opportunity late in the first quarter (although I wouldn't lump all the blame with him for that moment), but he found plenty of the ball and was probably our only player who looked committed and showed some passion across all four quarters of the match (Selwood possibly another).

Hope he signs a new deal and sticks around with us for many years to come, I've enjoyed seeing him develop and as he continues to grow deficiencies such as slow to move on the ball and somewhat-average disposal efficiency have an opportunity to improve

Got 3 votes from me behind Henderson and Selwood...I like Parfitt..reckon he'll only get better.

Parfitt our best according to the coaches. Tried hard all night.

PORT ADELAIDE v GEELONG

9 Ollie Wines (PORT)
5 Sam Powell-Pepper (PORT)
4 Tom Rockliff (PORT)
4 Hamish Hartlett (PORT)
3 Brad Ebert (PORT)
2 Steven Motlop (PORT)
2 Brandan Parfitt (GEEL)
1 Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
So the 5 top players were port midfielders. What does that say about our midfield.

So the 5 top players were port midfielders. What does that say about our midfield.
ummm; they got beaten.

Badly

GO Catters

but if only we kicked straight we would of won. Im confused.
And on kicking goals. have just read my first account of last weeks game. A couple of things stand out one being Parfitts mark 40 m out with 5 seconds to go. He goes for what is probably the better option, handballing to Ablett. Then the siren sounds. Where is the leadership knowing that the 1/4 is nearly over to say go back and kick it. Seems that time and time again we make mistakes because no-one talks, no-one says look out you are about to be tackled, there is only a few seconds to go , take your shot. Communication is a important as skills. But guess if our leader, Scott is not a communicator, nor is anyone else at the top, it trickles down.

And on kicking goals. have just read my first account of last weeks game. A couple of things stand out one being Parfitts mark 40 m out with 5 seconds to go. He goes for what is probably the better option, handballing to Ablett. Then the siren sounds. Where is the leadership knowing that the 1/4 is nearly over to say go back and kick it. Seems that time and time again we make mistakes because no-one talks, no-one says look out you are about to be tackled, there is only a few seconds to go , take your shot. Communication is a important as skills. But guess if our leader, Scott is not a communicator, nor is anyone else at the top, it trickles down.
Agree with all you said until the highlighted.Are you serious? Scott is a communicator. He is widely regarded as the best match day coach around. He must be doing some communication. It is not his role out on the ground. Who are our leaders after Selwood?
Time keepers and interchange stewards on the ground do these tasks with varying degrees of desperation.

Despite people melting down- let's just admit that Port are a way better team. We have three teams that can cream us- Port, Tigers and Pies. And we'll get two of them in the finals.

It's disappointing to lose but it's to be expected.

Agree with all you said until the highlighted.Are you serious? Scott is a communicator. He is widely regarded as the best match day coach around. He must be doing some communication. It is not his role out on the ground. Who are our leaders after Selwood?
Time keepers and interchange stewards on the ground do these tasks with varying degrees of desperation.
My point was that the lack of communication starts at the top and that includes Scott. He is the one who has said that he doesn't need to be in the rooms before the game as 'the work has been done'. No it is not his role on the ground , of course not, but good communication is catching.
And who are the leaders after Selwood, and he is not that great during a game. I don't know , it seems no-one. Yes time kepers and interchange Stwards but don't tell me that they take it upon themselves t run anon the ground and pass on their own messages-they come from the coaching box. That is why they have phones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh, hindsight's are wonderful thing.
The build up to the game was much different though.

From whom, exactly?

I, for one, had huge concerns that we wouldn't deal with an increase in pressure and intensity from them. Which is sadly just how it proved, particularly in that atrocious third quarter.

My point was that the lack of communication starts at the top and that includes Scott. He is the one who has said that he doesn't need to be in the rooms before the game as 'the work has been done'. No it is not his role on the ground , of course not, but good communication is catching.
And who are the leaders after Selwood, and he is not that great during a game. I don't know , it seems no-one. Yes time kepers and interchange Stwards but don't tell me that they take it upon themselves t run anon the ground and pass on their own messages-they come from the coaching box. That is why they have phones.
Maybe, but you started with what happened 5 seconds before the sirens. That is not coaching or coaching communication, but footy smarts out there on the ground. And we may be lacking there.

Maybe, but you started with what happened 5 seconds before the sirens. That is not coaching or coaching communication, but footy smarts out there on the ground. And we may be lacking there.

The fault lies with Ablett, not Parfitt....instead of calling for the ball, GAJ should have told Parfitt to take the shot.

...Ablett is not short of footy smarts...Sadly, it was just a another episode in a forgettable game by Gary.

The fault lies with Ablett, not Parfitt....instead of calling for the ball, GAJ should have told Parfitt to take the shot.

...Ablett is not short of footy smarts...Sadly, it was just a another episode in a forgettable game by Gary.
Might be drawing a long bow but maybe they're not used to the short quarters?
Sounds dumb but they've played their whole adult lives with normal quarters.

Not sure whether anyone has raised this but I wonder if Cats let the Port game go so they wouldn't have to face Richmond in a PF? After-all we were well and truly in the Port game in the 4Q. We weren't disgraced.

I reckon Scott backed his team to beat the Pies and Lions and advance to a GF.

I jest of course....but you never know

Not sure whether anyone has raised this but I wonder if Cats let the Port game go so they wouldn't have to face Richmond in a PF? After-all we were well and truly in the Port game in the 4Q. We weren't disgraced.

Um but we didn’t know which side of the prelim draw richmond was on at that point.

And why wouldn’t we want to play richmond in a prelim anyway?

Um but we didn’t know which side of the prelim draw richmond was on at that point.

Yes....to be the best, you gotta beat the best. We've flogged Brisbane and the Pies....if the Tigers do get over us, then kudos to them.

No excuses....both sides at full strength...bring it on.

Ahhhh! that theory goes out the window. Carry on

Didnt Richmond play after us? So we really didnt know who we'd play. We didnt even know if it would be Collingwood or the Eagles. I'm sure they (our coaches and players) didnt mind that they lost, as they got to play through without a break.

The only thing we really learned from that weekend was that bad kicking = lost games, that Richmond isnt that great on the Gabba and that Brisbane beat Richmond through decisive attack that left them open.

We also learned that even if our ideal game isnt working - we still have the will to compete in hard tough slog footy (like we did against Port and like RIchmond did against Port).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back