Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my opinion. But to me Grimes is a stopper first and provides rebound second. He's never really been a high possession winner. If it was either of Short or Vlastuin, I'd agree completely.

They did switch too. Certainly the first half it was Grimes on Rohan. Second half it looked like Grimes was on Dangerfield and Broad went to him a few times.
Yeah fair enough. Not a great game then.
Still I think it's a bit much for him to play as a tall forward and a small forward at the same time.
Was having to just fly for unrealistic marks in the second half cause there was no one else.

Yeah fair enough. Not a great game then.
Still I think it's a bit much for him to play as a tall forward and a small forward at the same time.
Was having to just fly for unrealistic marks in the second half cause there was no one else.

Perhaps, but there's no known way anyone at Geelong could be surprised with his output. It's been obvious for years what you get from him.

On Dangerfield, I think the team didn't use him at his strengths to be honest. He is a capable forward, no doubt, and part of how we play should include him playing and even at times starting there. But he is not a great forward, and good defenders (as opposed to mids who get dragged down to defence) can usually quell him reasonably well.

But lets say compare him to Martin. Martin is a finisher, and Richmond's game plan revolves around letting him finish. Dangerfield's best impact is being a bull at the contest, extracting the pill and bowling over a few opponents while doing so.
Good post. On Danger your spot on with his best impact being getting the hard ball. The only issue is he tends to completely butcher it after he gets it.
Maybe we need more runners on the outside so he can handball it to a player with better disposal.

As the game has got faster, the collisions and their impact affect every inside mid to the extent that their shelf life is going to diminish even more.
I'm surprised that Joel has lasted as long as he has, but you could tell from the GF that Father Time has caught up with him.
He's had a brilliant career and will be a future Hall of Famer down the track, but who would be brave enough to tap him on the shoulder?
He'll do it himself.
He's always been a team player and a leader and will throw in the towel when he senses it's time, which is probably the end of next year.

Good week to reflect. Right up in the premiership race to our eyeballs and need to continue to push for it. Few things which stand out to me are:

1. Our lack of ability to control the centre corridor. Richmond stopped us and so did port adelaide. We need to work out how to open up our ball movement through the centre of the ground better. A few things go into this, but we cant forgo the centre and be pushed wide.

2. Unable to transition the ball quick enough to space on the outside of a contest. We need to improve at distributing the ball to the outside and avoid the oncoming pressure. This is not just the midfielfers but an entire 18 man team effort. Whether this requires us to push our forwards up higher to transition or pushing defenders up higher like against collingwood and brisbane to help transition, needs to be assessed. Do we try and flick it further out the back extremely quick to loose players? Or do we move it sideways into space?? We have to improve the execution of this to avoid pressure and move the ball with fluency. Right now we are getting caught out too often and doing long high dump kicks.

3. Figure out a way to defend richmond streaming it forward. The first half i truly feel we got ontop due to the rain. They werent able to run it away from a contest as they like and we pressured them into forward dump kicks that stewart picked off and drove forward. The second half it dried up and they started to get clean run away from the stoppage and kick it forward with better composure which placed stewart and co under enormous pressure..they also pushed their forwards further forward towards goal to apply that pressure to our defenders to stop them easy rebounds and setting us up through the centre. It was a change to clamp down on our defense from transitioning.

Our game plan in theory troubles them, but their personell troubles us especially how quick their side is compared to our slower side. Their forwards vs our defenders us a footrace nightmare and is causing alot of grief.

Few things to work on improving but we are definitely right in it. Keep our draft picks and continue to develop quality youth also and give GWS no more than 1 first if we have to.

Call me a masochist but I watched the game again and quickly put together some of what went wrong from our perspective (so not including any of Richmonds misses etc.). I removed the commentary.

The sections are:
00:00 Missed shots at goal & missed forward half opportunities
03:00 Kicks out on the full & other turnovers
05:00 A couple of questionable umpiring decisions
05:33 All of the 3rd quarter centre bounces (where you can decide whether having Danger in there would have made a difference. We won our fair share.)

Except against us in round 17, which is why they were desperate to curb his impact. But that day he was playing on a first gamer, which of course affected his numbers.

That's an excellent point. He didn't pay any attention to Jarvis at all so felt free to zone off at will. With Rohan and Dangerfield it was back to full lockdown mode.

Call me a masochist but I watched the game again and quickly put together some of what went wrong from our perspective (so not including any of Richmonds misses etc.). I removed the commentary.

The sections are:
05:33 All of the 3rd quarter centre bounces (where you can decide whether having Danger in there would have made a difference. We won our fair share.)

Geez that’s bad viewing.. I had quite a few by the time the third Qtr rolled around and thought we were completely outplayed, not so by the looks we still had! What could’ve been 😞

The sections are:

Got the Dalhaus jumping for a mark in front of Hawkins in the 2nd quarter? No guarantee that Hawkins kicks it from there but 100% more chance than Dalhaus, should have been taking his opponent away from there. Did he cop heat here for that brain fade?

Got the Dalhaus jumping for a mark in front of Hawkins in the 2nd quarter? No guarantee that Hawkins kicks it from there but 100% more chance than Dalhaus, should have been taking his opponent away from there. Did he cop heat here for that brain fade?

Yeah, that was in there.

The footage of Stewart having a kick on the wing in the 3rd term when Rioli I think nudges him in the back in the act of kicking could've been another free missed. Seen heaps of similar incidents paid as a free down the ground, or at least called back for a kick where the infringement occurred.

Did Hawkins call?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first half i truly feel we got ontop due to the rain. They werent able to run it away from a contest as they like and we pressured them into forward dump kicks that stewart picked off and drove forward. The second half it dried up and they started to get clean run away from the stoppage and kick it forward with better composure which placed stewart and co under enormous pressure..they also pushed their forwards further forward towards goal to apply that pressure to our defenders to stop them easy rebounds and setting us up through the centre. It was a change to clamp down on our defense from transitioning.

Did you notice the rather simple aspects of Richmond's game crazy. Kicking the ball off the ground to gain valuable metres. Tackling was +22 and of course, winning the ball from out of the center. All the basic fundamentals of this great sport which were implemented better by the Richmond football club.
It's not such a complicated game as you try and make it out to be.

Did Hawkins call?
I remember commentators discussing that incident and saying that due to the noise at ground level, Dahlhaus wouldn't have been able to hear Hawkins calling

Updates on a couple of injuries from the match:

Gary Ablett played the AFL grand final with a crack in his shoulder while his Geelong teammate, Brandan Parfitt, played most of the match with a broken thumb.

Sources said scans on Ablett’s shoulder revealed a break that almost ended his final game following a tackle by Tigers’ Trent Cotchin in the game’s opening minutes, The Age reports.

The now-retired Ablett is set to have a consultation with a surgeon.

Ablett returned to the field during Richmond’s 31-point win at the Gabba, but was clearly in discomfort as he looked to end his decorated career with a third premiership.

Parfitt also played wounded after sustaining an injury to his hand in the first quarter.

He returned to the field but had a quiet night with just seven disposals.

The publication reports that a post-game assessment revealed the on-baller broke his thumb, according to close sources.

He is reportedly set to go under the knife this week but the surgery won’t affect his preparation for the 2021 season.

If Dala's running back with the flight of the ball with his eyes on the ball, I think it's on Hawkins to pull out and let him take the mark (regardless of who's the better kick). Dahlhaus can't see what's coming towards him and would've presumed he could've taken the mark, whereas Hawkins (who could see everything in front of him) needs the awareness to pull out and allow his teammate to take the mark

Did you notice the rather simple aspects of Richmond's game crazy. Kicking the ball off the ground to gain valuable metres. Tackling was +22 and of course, winning the ball from out of the center. All the basic fundamentals of this great sport which were implemented better by the Richmond football club.
It's not such a complicated game as you try and make it out to be.

You think its simple because you cant see beyond very basics.

Just a question for you to think about .. Football is a full time profession with about 7-8 full time assistants and a senior coach who are known to work 50 + hour weeks... What exactly do you think they do all week?? Sit their picking their noses for 200k each and 600k for hardwick to pick his nose??

Just a little bit more deeper thought needs to go into these things mate for you to get how it works.

If Dala's running back with the flight of the ball with his eyes on the ball, I think it's on Hawkins to pull out and let him take the mark (regardless of who's the better kick). Dahlhaus can't see what's coming towards him and would've presumed he could've taken the mark, whereas Hawkins (who could see everything in front of him) needs the awareness to pull out and allow his teammate to take the mark

Reckon, and could be wrong, that kick was for Hawkins and Dalhaus drifted in front and in the end didnt mark it (one hand up in the end??).

Can understand what you are saying but would much prefer a Hawkins shot at goal rather than a Dalhaus floater to the top of the square punched through for a behind. Hawk should have called it his if he didn't.

Reckon, and could be wrong, that kick was for Hawkins and Dalhaus drifted in front and in the end didnt mark it (one hand up in the end??).

Can understand what you are saying but would much prefer a Hawkins shot at goal rather than a Dalhaus floater to the top of the square punched through for a behind. Hawk should have called it his if he didn't.

I agree, I'd rather Hawkins took the mark and had the shot too. I haven't watched any of the game back (apart from a few unavoidable Richmond highlights on the news) but if I remember correctly I think Dal had two hands up to the ball when they crashed into each other and the ball spilled free.

At the end of the day, it's one of those instances where Hawk probably could've called clearer and louder (if he didn't already, it would've been hard to hear any calls), and both players could be more aware of their surroundings

Makes you think it was us worse off as oppised to them with vlastuin off.
Parfitt only played 51% of the game - so clearly impacted

Losing Vlastuin no doubt impacted Richmond & their plans, but with him being ruled out for the match they could work on restructuring & then focus on playing with 21 players

For us with Ablett & Parfitt it seems they were trying to work out if either could offer anything of substance if they could stay out there & at least provide another rotation. If we ruled out both before quarter time, trying to play 3/4s with just 2 on the bench really isn't ideal in a grand final

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back