Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, I'd rather Hawkins took the mark and had the shot too. I haven't watched any of the game back (apart from a few unavoidable Richmond highlights on the news) but if I remember correctly I think Dal had two hands up to the ball when they crashed into each other and the ball spilled free.

Yeah, same, really hazy but that moment and the Kolo were kick frustrated the hell out of me.

Geez that’s bad viewing.. I had quite a few by the time the third Qtr rolled around and thought we were completely outplayed, not so by the looks we still had! What could’ve been 😞
Certainly is.
I can’t believe Hawkins is still dropping chest marks after all these years.
I wish i hadn’t watched that vision. It’s bloody depressing.

Good post. On Danger your spot on with his best impact being getting the hard ball. The only issue is he tends to completely butcher it after he gets it.
Maybe we need more runners on the outside so he can handball it to a player with better disposal.

It would be really effective for him to handball a bit more.

He is not as bad a kick as some people say I recon. But when he is at full pace, he's not hitting anyone on the chest. But other teams are finding ways to score with chaos/ mung balls into the F50.

We need to have a think about how to best use him. Richmond have done that really well with Martin.

Certainly is.
I can’t believe Hawkins is still dropping chest marks after all these years.
I wish i hadn’t watched that vision. It’s bloody depressing.

I still laugh at the separation he is able to get. Does it during ruck contests as well.
He must be the strongest player in the competition and by some distance as I don't see other blokes shrugging aside rucks on a consistent basis as what he does.

It would be really effective for him to handball a bit more.

He is not as bad a kick as some people say I recon. But when he is at full pace, he's not hitting anyone on the chest. But other teams are finding ways to score with chaos/ mung balls into the F50.

We need to have a think about how to best use him. Richmond have done that really well with Martin.

I'm wondering if he'd be best starting off the edge of the square (well, 6-6-6 means edge of the 50) and playing between the arcs as a HFF or CHF, hovering outside stoppages and sitting just off the ball during general paly. He's a good marking option if we're stuck needing to kick down the line, or if we're going for a faster approach through the middle his speed to break away with the ball from a contest would be impeccable. And if he's on the arc, he's a great option to launch a long ball to an isolated Hawkins in the goalsquare, or have a ping himself.

Only worry would be ensuring his field kicking is reliable enough to deliver the ball between 15-30 metres which has been a shortfall in his game, but if the plan above was put in place you could spend a good chunk of the preseason just working on sprinting with the ball for 15 metres and then hitting up a 30m target.

2 days later and all i can say this is the worse grand final loss since the 90s.

this is way worse then 2008. In 2008 we had already won a flag and it was seen as hiccup with the club clearly having more grand finals in its future.

this current team is done. This was our shot. hawkins is 33. Ablett and taylor are gone. Selwood is 33. Dangerfield is 31 and clearly on the decline. Even the likes of duncan, stanley and blicavs are now hitting 30 and will start to decline. And virtually none of the kids are coming through and the ones that are look like B graders not A graders you can build a team around.

the other thing that hurts is effing richmond now have a 3 flag era further devaluing the 2007-11 cats team Achievements.

this hurts big time. Think im going to need to take a day off work.
It hurts. It’s crushing. It’s devastating. But 08 was a lot worse and I’ll never get over that loss.

They love us! Why? Because every final our clubs meet in we completely roll over for them. Why do you think they were gagging for us to get over Brisbane? And then their board members in here asking if we would be giving Esava a game because "they were worried about him".

Theres no respect from there side. All the Tiggies fans I know said as soon as they saw us "surprisingly" get past Brisbane, they knew they were going B2B.

And they were 100% correct.

Scott learns nothing, is a reactive coach, and this gets filed under another "what if we had someone else" for future reference.

But hey, when we have another great year next year and bomb out of finals again because Scottball is anti-finals football, I can't wait for everyone to tell me "next year" again, like in 2014/2016/2017/2018/2019 and now 2020.

There are a lot of valid points you make but i wont use words like roll over etc , We were and still are very confident that if we play Brisbane we would beat them and the final we played them afte so many losses it was due they would get 1 eventually and they pretty much played their GF against Richmond.

I will just give my thoughts and feel for what would imo been a better set up for the cats against Richmond

*Esava plays in place of Rohan and gives stanley a chop out in the ruck
* Dangerfield plays 90% midfield and just goes foward when Esava goes into the ruck
*Blicavs tags Martin the entire game , He has the strength , Stamina and the defensive ability to do the job
* 1 of either Henderson / Kolo not to play and a player with speed like Clark comes in for speed out of the backline

The Tigers supporters biggest issue with Scott is mainly due to scotts comments regarding Richmond the last few years

I recommend listening to King and Hoyne dissect the game and talk about what the Cats need to do in 2021 in this HS pure footy podcast.

I have posted links to their last three episodes because I think it is the best analysis I have heard from any source, but don’t worry, I won’t spam the board any further. I suppose that those who might be interested are now aware.

Was [Rohan] playing?
Not being funny, but he kept Grimes occupied. Grimes barely touched it and Hawk got a lot more opportunities that in round 17.
Not saying he was good, but he did have an impact.

Edit: Having caught up with the thread, I see this issue has already been discussed at length.

Last edited:
There are a lot of valid points you make but i wont use words like roll over etc , We were and still are very confident that if we play Brisbane we would beat them and the final we played them afte so many losses it was due they would get 1 eventually and they pretty much played their GF against Richmond.

I will just give my thoughts and feel for what would imo been a better set up for the cats against Richmond

* Dangerfield plays 90% midfield and just goes foward when Esava goes into the ruck
*Blicavs tags Martin the entire game , He has the strength , Stamina and the defensive ability to do the job
* 1 of either Henderson / Kolo not to play and a player with speed like Clark comes in for speed out of the backline

The Tigers supporters biggest issue with Scott is mainly due to scotts comments regarding Richmond the last few years

Good suggestions.

Similarly, I think one of the biggest issues Cats supporters have with Richmond is Hardwick.

And Lynch.

Oh my goodness. Who is this prat living out the general feeling about arrogant Richmond supporters. Take a look at your own whinging Coach, who a lot of us can't stand -other team supporters as well, after his 2017 sooking about us winning on our home ground. GO AWAY. Why do they need to do this????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3. Figure out a way to defend richmond streaming it forward..
This!
My enduring image of the second half is our 190cm+ defenders in space, trying to pick up a loose ball with a swarm of Richmond smalls closing rapidly. It didn’t end well.

I was thinking at the time, that just kicking it as hard and far as possible off the ground towards our scoring end was far more sensible than waiting like a trapped antelope for the predators to arrive. It was torturous viewing.

Last edited:
Call me a masochist but I watched the game again and quickly put together some of what went wrong from our perspective (so not including any of Richmonds misses etc.). I removed the commentary.

The sections are:
00:00 Missed shots at goal & missed forward half opportunities
03:00 Kicks out on the full & other turnovers
05:00 A couple of questionable umpiring decisions
05:33 All of the 3rd quarter centre bounces (where you can decide whether having Danger in there would have made a difference. We won our fair share.)

Jesus! Seeing all that put together I realized that Richmond didn’t beat us - we beat ourselves!

PS: Masochist!

Last edited:
Call me a masochist but I watched the game again and quickly put together some of what went wrong from our perspective (so not including any of Richmonds misses etc.). I removed the commentary.

The sections are:
05:33 All of the 3rd quarter centre bounces (where you can decide whether having Danger in there would have made a difference. We won our fair share.)

The centre bounce work was really good. They had 2 soccered clearances, one that went to the wing. The one clean takeaway they got was from a great little toe poke from Cotchin when it looked like we'd win it. Just Selwood's decision to handball to Guthrie and Guthrie not seeing Selwood for the handball really hurt us.

I'd say the guy we missed most in there was Parfitt who spent a lot of time off the ground with his thumb problem and was clearly struggling with it not Danger. Parfitt's 2 efforts in the 2 centre bounces he was in for were huge (tackle on Cotchin which would've won the clearance except for Cotchin's brilliant toe poke and the knock out to Selwood on the last on was quality).

The centre bounce work was really good. They had 2 soccered clearances, one that went to the wing. The one clean takeaway they got was from a great little toe poke from Cotchin when it looked like we'd win it. Just Selwood's decision to handball to Guthrie and Guthrie not seeing Selwood for the handball really hurt us.

I'd say the guy we missed most in there was Parfitt who spent a lot of time off the ground with his thumb problem and was clearly struggling with it not Danger. Parfitt's 2 efforts in the 2 centre bounces he was in for were huge (tackle on Cotchin which would've won the clearance except for Cotchin's brilliant toe poke and the knock out to Selwood on the last on was quality).

Exactly this.
Parfitt is vitally important to our midfield structure, we struggled when he was injured through the year and played our best footy when he returned.
Fast becoming a key player.

I thought I would give things time to cool over here before popping my head in.

I just wanted to say I thought Guthrie was outstanding for you guys. Gave it everything he had. I've no idea if that is the consensus but he looked clear BOG for you guys to my neutral eyes.

I thought I would give things time to cool over here before popping my head in.

I just wanted to say I thought Guthrie was outstanding for you guys. Gave it everything he had. I've no idea if that is the consensus but he looked clear BOG for you guys to my neutral eyes.

Duncan, Guthrie and Stewart I felt you could put a blanket over. Guthrie proved a lot of people - ourselves included - wrong this year. Certainly the result wasn't any reflection of his game.

The sections are:

You did well to rewatch that.
It's interesting watching your vid because can watch it a bit clearer now knowing the result. The Richmond pressure is amazing and we really had stuff all time to get rid of the ball/ make quick decisions. I look at most those missed shots at goal and say they were pretty low %, Danger trying to kick bombs from 55m, 2E having rushed round the corner shot from 45m, Selwood trying to kick a goal from beyond 50m, you'd expect Hawkins to kick 1 of those though and the Miers miss is inexcusable. Hawkins needs to be banned from these rushed snaps, he can snap if he takes at least 20 seconds to line it all up.

I still shake my head at the Jack free kick after he just grabbed Hendo by the jumper and spun him out of the contest.

You did well to rewatch that.
It's interesting watching your vid because can watch it a bit clearer now knowing the result. The Richmond pressure is amazing and we really had stuff all time to get rid of the ball/ make quick decisions. I look at most those missed shots at goal and say they were pretty low %, Danger trying to kick bombs from 55m, 2E having rushed round the corner shot from 45m, Selwood trying to kick a goal from beyond 50m, you'd expect Hawkins to kick 1 of those though and the Miers miss is inexcusable. Hawkins needs to be banned from these rushed snaps, he can snap if he takes at least 20 seconds to line it all up.

I still shake my head at the Jack free kick after he just grabbed Hendo by the jumper and spun him out of the contest.
The difficulty of the shots is true enough, but what is difficult to take is that quite a few of Richmond’s had a reasonable degree of difficulty. McIntosh’s was from the 50 on the run, Riewoldt slotted his 2nd from outside the boundary, and of course all of Martin’s 4 goals were half-chances he made whole, maybe Stanley getting a finger on the last. Prestia’s first goal was probably more difficult than the ones Stanley or Dalhaus fluffed, certainly more difficult than Miers miss. Funnily enough the set shots they missed in the last were some of their easier shots. And Castagna floated one through that we might have touched 😫

If we gave a sh*t one tiny bit we would of got someone like her as our absolute top priority years ago.
We don't care about that stuff, dont see it as important.
I agree 100% and it begs the question, "Why isn't it a top priority??!" Who is deciding that?

You need to start with a Mathew Scarlett at full-back, do we have an excellent full-back who can stop most opponents, good in the air, run off their opponents, run all day....
I guess you’re hinting at Blicavs, and if so, I do agree he has those attributes, but you missed out “high footy IQ”, and “precise by foot” which are a stretch for our number 46.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back