Review Geelong defeats Blues by 26 points at MCG - Rd 17, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott’s presser had some interesting snippets.

He liked Ratugolea’s game. He believes Cameron can come back into that lineup and not change the other talls.

Dahlhaus and Selwood expected back but he acknowledged there’s more good players than we have spots. I got the sense that Selwood not right or has some issue.

Says he goes into the selection meeting with an idea of what he wants and it always ends up “different but better”. “That’s the way collaboration should work.”

Says the longer games mean you have to rotate players more. He would like shorter quarters for spectacle and fixturing flexibility.

I often agree with Scott on his "state of the game" suggestions (he's an advocate of reducing down to 16 players, which I agree with), but on this one he's wrong. Last year's quarters were way too short. It felt inadequate and thus less enjoyable as an experience. It also meant less goals which is the opposite of what we want. Leave the quarter length the same and make other changes (e.g. his proposed reduction in player numbers) to improve the spectacle.

Solid win by the boys. As stated earlier Carlton don’t get belted. Their biggest loss of the year was by 28points. Reckon they might actually turn it around next year.
Their kicking didn’t really flatter us. Most of the shots were from hard spots, half chances or dropped short and rushed. Rohan’s 3 misses were easier than 90% of Carlton’s misses.
Cats did what had to be done. Bank the win and move on to next week.
Holmes is going to be a hell of a player, has serious leg speed and some really solid legs, in a couple of years he’ll be Dangerfield size!

I often agree with Scott on his "state of the game" suggestions (he's an advocate of reducing down to 16 players, which I agree with), but on this one he's wrong. Last year's quarters were way too short. It felt inadequate and thus less enjoyable as an experience. It also meant less goals which is the opposite of what we want. Leave the quarter length the same and make other changes (e.g. his proposed reduction in player numbers) to improve the spectacle.
I know I’m in the minority (with Scott) but games are too long for my liking. Maybe 16 is too short but I find the current length too long. I also think the season is too long. I have the attention span of a goldfish.

Just watched the whole game after recording it - thats what i normally do - and it is amazing how more enjoyable it is watching when you already know the side has won

Ithought it was a pretty good game - plenty of negative posts about it - i read earlier but i cant agree with them

Holmes is the exciting one - he is going to be a gun - and will definitely keep hes place in the team this year playing like that

Rohan isnt hurt - definitely not a hamstring - looked a slight knock on the knee or calf

For all the bagging of Hawkins - i thought he played ok - got plenty of the ball

I thought it was a really good even performance by Geelong- not much to dislike actually

We controlled the game and seemed to have their measure. Forward system didnt look good though.. No forward looked dangerous. That's 6 games without Cameron and mostly haven't looked efficient without him...
We look completely different without Cameron.

Saw this on a news article. Maybe Rohan isn't that bad?

"Both teams have reported to escape the game without major injuries, with Teague hopeful key forward Charlie Curnow will make a return through the VFL next weekend."

Saw this on a news article. Maybe Rohan isn't that bad?

"Both teams have reported to escape the game without major injuries, with Teague hopeful key forward Charlie Curnow will make a return through the VFL next weekend."
It was a corky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know I’m in the minority (with Scott) but games are too long for my liking. Maybe 16 is too short but I find the current length too long. I also think the season is too long. I have the attention span of a goldfish.

%100 agree on this; 17 game H&A season and truncated quarters too.

16 per side is a bigger mental hurdle for me but I think I'd go with it, particularly if it produced a better product.

Before people lay into Esava too much, McKay and Hawkins were poor too. It was not a night for the big forwards.
That could be the case... but Esava didn't have a noticeable Key Defender on him ... he had a mid size Ploughman, he should of used that to his advantage

That could be the case... but Esava didn't have a noticeable Key Defender on him ... he had a mid size Ploughman, he should of used that to his advantage
I don't think the team used it to its advantage. They should've kicked it to him more. That's not Sav's fault, but shows a lack of confidence in him from his teammates, IMO.

I thought it was a solid win. The only thing that worried me was the lack of talking out there. When you see teammates spoiling each other or knocking each other over going for the ball then that means they're not talking. It was almost comical at times. I laughed at how Gary Lyon went from talking up Sav as his big opportunity to rip a game open quickly descended to, "Maybe he can't play?" It was like some posters I've seen here.

take the 4 points, move on to next week.

Esava is a victim of stagnant development from being played out of position. Injuries also played a part.

as a result he lacks confidence. And like players with elite athletic ability who are still developing footy nous, confidence is key.

all year esava has been played out of position in the ruck. He is not a ruck in the slightest. Too short, not great around the ground. Lacks nous. Rucks need that footy nous to be effective around the ground and he doesn’t have it yet due to his age. Right now, esava IS A FORWARD. That’s where he’s played his best footy. The marks, the spark, that final against west coast, that was all as a key forward.

right now as a young key position player, he relies on confidence. And he was on track, taking big marks as a power forward. He is the type of player that’d rely on athleticism in the first few years until confidence allows nous to develop. We completely threw this out the window trying to pull him out of position and into a position we need (ruck).

this has broken him and stagnated his whole development as a power forward as he has lost all confidence. There are still glimpses, that first goal today. But for the most part it’s shot.

there’s still hope. He needs to be developed and trained as a key forward to take over from Hawkins in a couple years. Esava the power athletic forward + Cameron. That’s our future post Hawkins.

get Him out of the ruck and play him to his strengths and we have a long term key player.

Last edited:
%100 agree on this; 17 game H&A season and truncated quarters too.

16 per side is a bigger mental hurdle for me but I think I'd go with it, particularly if it produced a better product.
Reducing number of players on the field for me is the one change that must come in if there's going to be anything meaningful done about on field congestion. Congestion is the biggest problem I feel both in terms of the game as a spectacle, the frequency of injuries and the difficulty of umpiring. Don't necessarily agree with Scott about reducing quarter length. 17 round h&a spread over the same season length seems to me a far more logical option to reduce player fatigue.

Actually Fog has had a very good season with the Blues. Think form only just dropped off last few games I think.

Depends on your definition of good. I've watched the Blues a bunch of times this year, including games where he's racked up more stats than he did today, and I just find him to be a very ineffectual player. When you're small, not quick and not a great kick, you've got to have something else, and I still can't see what that is.

Depends on your definition of good. I've watched the Blues a bunch of times this year, including games where he's racked up more stats than he did today, and I just find him to be a very ineffectual player. When you're small, not quick and not a great kick, you've got to have something else, and I still can't see what that is.
He’s a good tackler but that’s about it. Doesn’t get it enough and doesn’t hurt the opposition when he does.

Random observation but I don’t like Narkle rotting as the med sub today. Send him back to the VFL to earn a recall.

Narkle looked flat post game i noticed.
Will probably get a game next week though as we will no doubt rest holmes off a 5 day break and rohan if hes injured.

He’s a good tackler but that’s about it. Doesn’t get it enough and doesn’t hurt the opposition when he does.

Hes a decent player in a lower ranked side but not in a top 4 side like ours i dont think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back